Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree254Likes

Thread: 2012 CMA Awards: Staff Picks & Predictions

Obsessed Carrie Fan AdamLikesCarrie's Avatar

2012 CMA Awards: Staff Picks & Predictions

Country Universe – A Country Music Blog » 2012 CMA Awards: Staff Picks & Predictions
    2012 CMA Awards: Staff Picks & Predictions

by Tara Seetharam
    October 28, 2012
    While the rest of the country fixates on “Nashville,” the 46th annual Country Music Association Awards air live from Music City with equal drama and ridiculousness November 1 at 7 p.m. CST. The CU staff picked and predicted the awards below. Chime in with your thoughts, and check back for our live blog on Thursday night!

Female Vocalist of the Year

Should Win:

• Kelly Clarkson
    • Miranda Lambert – Leeann
    • Martina McBride
    • Taylor Swift
    • Carrie Underwood – Dan, Ben, Jonathan, Tara, Kevin

Will Win:

• Kelly Clarkson
    • Miranda Lambert – Dan, Ben, Jonathan, Tara, Kevin
    • Martina McBride
    • Taylor Swift – Leeann
    • Carrie Underwood

Tara:
    I still believe Underwood’s best is yet to come, but she deserves respect from the industry and critics alike for taking the kind of creative, thematic and interpretive risks she took with Blown Away. Maybe come next year she’ll have more influence; this year, the award is still Lambert’s to lose. (And shout out to homegirl Clarkson, who may have no place in this category, but who gave us the best cover of “Go Rest High On That Mountain” that I’ve ever heard.)

Ben:
    In my perfect world, Carrie Underwood’s solid new music (which was released within this year’s eligibility period) would nab her the trophy. Miranda had the most radio success this year, and will almost surely emerge victorious, but I simply can’t endorse the idea of rewarding her for releasing two singles that were easily the worst duds of her career. Footnote: Country radio seriously needs to start supporting more female artists.

Jonathan:
    I adore Kelly Clarkson, and, based upon nearly a decade’s worth of concert performances, I’d argue that she has the best taste in country material of any of the women nominated, and I look forward to the day when she finally records a proper country album. But her nomination here is absurd. Fortunately, she’s not really in the running to win. This likely comes down to Lambert and Underwood. In the past, I’ve championed Lambert for her fearless artistic vision, and I’ve been highly critical of Underwood’s grossly over-praised and over-rewarded output. But, this year, I’d prefer to see Underwood recognized for what is far and away her career-best work than to see Lambert win for what is quite obviously her worst. I doubt the voters will agree.

Dan:
    Ditto the others, pretty much. Underwood’s taste in material has deepened, but what excites me most is that her interpretive abilities have, too. I never used to feel comfortable with those comparisons to the Trishas and Connies of the world. Now I do.

Kevin:
    It’s all been said. Underwood’s reached new heights of artistry while still maintaining her commercial relevance. I’d call her one of the best, but that would imply there’s anyone else in her league right now.

Leeann:
    Miranda Lambert is still my favorite out of these choices and Kelly Clarkson’s nomination is still confusing to me. I think the award is a toss up between Taylor and Carrie in all actuality though.

So basically it's a
    "Carrie should win, but Miranda will win" situation.
    pklongbeach, rainbow1 and bs63093 like this.

Concert Stars
    ^Yeah I just read that and was gonna post it lol

That makes me kinda mad, Person A (Carrie) had the better year than person B (Miranda) but they will give it to Person B

Im no Einstein or anything but that does not make sense whatsoever
    rainbow1 likes this.

How has Miranda had more radio success than Carrie this year? Idk. I feel like Miranda's hype has majorly died down this year. But the CMA's are obsessed with her so she definitely has the best shot of a win, even though Carrie's resume is more impressive IMO.

It is sad to see (yet again) that so many people think Carrie should win, but not a single one of them thinks she will. Nice to see all the praise about Carrie though.

Concert Stars
    In the ENTERTAINER OF THE YEAR section:

Kevin: Should win: Carrie Underwood. But since she’s not nominated, I’ll go with Jason Aldean, who has been the biggest country artist this past year. I expect he’ll win, too.

Concert Stars
    ^Kevin adores Carrie, though haha
    Smokyiiis likes this.

Concert Stars
    This is perhaps the most frustrating thing I've ever read about the CMAs.

Concert Stars
    Carrie had much more radio success then Miranda this year. How can they say otherwise?
    Gator likes this.

Concert Stars
    What radio success has Miranda had in the eligibility period? Does Baggage Claim count? Over You was #1 for how many weeks? Fastest Girl in Town reached #5 so that's a non-issue.
    Smokyiiis and rainbow1 like this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan bigbluegrl23's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    even if you take away radio success (which Carrie edges her out) her album out sold Miranda's after like 1-2 months... there is absolutely NO logical reason for Miranda to win besides bias. but there is always a reason for Carrie Underwood not to win when she is the most talented person in that ****ing genre.
    Becca

Ty
    Miranda will win b/c the country music industry is still stuck on the whole Blake/Miranda power-couple narrative.
    pklongbeach likes this.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Oops, I didn't know Baggage Claim was such a big hit. BC totally owns GG. A #3, not even gold single is obviously more successful than a #1 platinum hit. Who knew?
    utlovescarrie likes this.

IMHO, I believe Carrie has been blackballed by the CMAs. Voters see Carrie being voted for amazing awards too quick, too fast, too many awards. The voters can do as they wish as that is why they are the industry voters of the CMA and please do not accuse me of any conspiracy theory...the ones who have been here since I joined this site know that is not what I do, not the way I act or write or think. I think Ty is correct as well: industry voters see Blake/Miranda as the "new power couple" - whether or not they can sing, entertain, not have all the number 1's, etc. They're the "new country couple darlings". Fair or not, that is the way it is, especially on EOTY and Vocalist awards. Again, this is my humble opinion. Others here can go on and on and on and say whatever they want, that is their opinion. I don't, however, need any snarky comments from anyone here. I don't snark at people and I would like to have the same respect I give others. I VERY RARELY SAY snarky, mean, never any conspiracy theories, or mean humor here on this site. If that is too much to ask for this comment, then so be it. Thank you!

P.S. I still love you all

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamLikesCarrie View Post

Female Vocalist of the Year

Should Win:

• Kelly Clarkson
    • Miranda Lambert – Leeann
    • Martina McBride
    • Taylor Swift
    • Carrie Underwood – Dan, Ben, Jonathan, Tara, Kevin

Will Win:

• Kelly Clarkson
    • Miranda Lambert – Dan, Ben, Jonathan, Tara, Kevin
    • Martina McBride
    • Taylor Swift – Leeann
    • Carrie Underwood

Leeann:
    Miranda Lambert is still my favorite out of these choices and Kelly Clarkson’s nomination is still confusing to me. I think the award is a toss up between Taylor and Carrie in all actuality though.
    Dammit Leeann. Get your s*** together! just kidding. Are none of these people part of the CMAs?

Male Vocalist will be announced before Female right?
    So, if Blake wins Male, then we pretty much know who's gonna win next..?
    Carrieroxmysox2011 likes this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    Oh goodness in what world does it make sense that ML ties Carrie with FVOTY awards? No matter what measuring stick you'd like to use, Carrie by far out shines. I just don't get it???? And it will be a joke if ML ties Carrie when Carrie has clearly out performed ML this voting period.

Anyone know if Blown Away made it to #1 before the voting closed? Oh well, much like no one expected Carrie to win her first FVOTY award, I think she'll be the 'unexpected' winner this year as well!

ETA: I know that Blown Away was outside the voting eligibility period but I was kinda thinking that its radio success would translate into some votes!!!

Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Ty View Post
    Miranda will win b/c the country music industry is still stuck on the whole Blake/Miranda power-couple narrative.

Well the industry needs to get over the whole Blake/Miranda power-couple thing! Personally I feel like the only reason Blake has gotten an EOTY nomination is because of the Voice. I would like to know just how does than make you qualified for EOTY. Anyways lets just hope enough of the voters feel like Carrie should win and vote that way. She should win and she is definitely the best vocalist.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Blake and Miranda have never been a power cuople except in the eyes of the PR people.It's all been a big illusion.

Carrie has been wildly more successful then Miranda...where are they getting otherwise???

I think I love Kevin - "I’d call her one of the best, but that would imply there’s anyone else in her league right now."

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ace
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann055 View Post
    IMHO, I believe Carrie has been blackballed by the CMAs. Voters see Carrie being voted for amazing awards too quick, too fast, too many awards. The voters can do as they wish as that is why they are the industry voters of the CMA and please do not accuse me of any conspiracy theory...the ones who have been here since I joined this site know that is not what I do, not the way I act or write or think. I think Ty is correct as well: industry voters see Blake/Miranda as the "new power couple" - whether or not they can sing, entertain, not have all the number 1's, etc. They're the "new country couple darlings". Fair or not, that is the way it is, especially on EOTY and Vocalist awards. Again, this is my humble opinion. Others here can go on and on and on and say whatever they want, that is their opinion. I don't, however, need any snarky comments from anyone here. I don't snark at people and I would like to have the same respect I give others. I VERY RARELY SAY snarky, mean, never any conspiracy theories, or mean humor here on this site. If that is too much to ask for this comment, then so be it. Thank you!

P.S. I still love you all
    I still think it is not to fair to Carrie because TS also being voted for amazing awards too quick, too fast, too many...and still keeping getting it even we all know some of it she SHOULDN'T. No matter what.. I still think any major awards...it is not "what" you know but "who" you know game.

I'm so happy that there are more critics (and fans) out there this year appreciated Carrie more...and especially since she released BA.
    pklongbeach and Ann055 like this.

Concert Stars
    This thread enrages me so I'm leaving it.

•  
    Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast