Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Like Tree254Likes

Thread: 2012 CMA Awards: Staff Picks & Predictions

Ultimate Carrie Fan bigbluegrl23's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire2004 View Post
    Scrolling through the posts, one question in my mind was, Miranda is TRADITIONAL COUNTRY? I like Miranda, don't get me wrong, and yes, Carrie's music has more pop elements than hers, but ML's music is not strictly traditional. She blends in several influences, just like what Carrie does.
    people mistake her twang for traditional country, which is a complete joke. She's southern rock, THATS IT. it certainly isn't traditional.
    Becca

Concert Stars
    I think the case has been made and it makes a lot of sense: Miranda and Taylor are easy to fit into a sterotype. So for voters and the community at large it becomes about "are they doing what they do well".
    For Carrie, I know she carries a much larger burden of proof as she is a much larger encompassing entity.
    She is many things at once. It is hard to pinpont what she is doing and say "she is doing well".
    Much like Martina McBride, when you sing that well, you are only competing with yourself. And if the voters are not completely convinced, they pass you up because they feel you can do better. Regardless of the fact that you just Blew Away the competition.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Scrolling through the posts, one question in my mind was, Miranda is TRADITIONAL COUNTRY? I like Miranda, don't get me wrong, and yes, Carrie's music has more pop elements than hers, but ML's music is not strictly traditional. She blends in several influences, just like what Carrie does.
    "Traditional" is a term I usually avoid, because it's too broad, and tends to mean different things to different people. To me, Uncle Dave Macon was traditional

When I said that Miranda was more likely to appeal to "hard core" fans, I meant that Miranda sings contemporary music, which deliberately keeps a foot in the Roots scene. Miranda never seems to have completely lost her connection with Texas music - although she's a top commercial singer, quite a few of her songs still have an Outlaw edge. On "Four the Record", she's made a significant identification with the Alternative wing. She's included songs by Chris Stapleton, Allison Moorer and Brandi Carlyle. Brandi even sang at her wedding. The conventionally risky Pistol Annies project has earnt her a lot of respect. And how many other artists would include an album cover of a Gillian Welch song? (OK, Carrie did too - before she was famous, and maybe she will again ). The point is Miranda is going to pick up votes from people who believe in their hearts that Nashville's become too safe, homogeneous and sugary. Add that to the fact that Sony's also promoting her as a conventional chart artist, and she's getting voting support from two quarters. It adds up.

I'm convinced, though, that Carrie has made the right choice in going for her first three singles for strong songs that are both commercial and innovative. Those songs will have the most impact beyond her core base, as well as support within it. They sustain the album's impetus. Carrie is a radio favourite, and has a wider and more varied fan base than Miranda. It's possible that some at her label have taken the view that the size of her fan base and her media appeal will more or less take care of things - and they probably have, in most areas except the award voting. If they now get fully behind her with a big promotional push to industry insiders, hopefully more of those votes will swing her way too.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    There isn't any current female artist who are "traditional country" and there hasn't been for years.
    teesharky and Claire2004 like this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by JB172 View Post
    There isn't any current female artist who are "traditional country" and there hasn't been for years.
    there isn't one male artist either haha everyone is more southern rock now.
    Becca
    teesharky and nccountrygal like this.

Concert Stars
    ^ Alan Jackson is fairly traditional to me, but maybe the better word is "old school."

The new men are nothing near to traditional, and most are nothing near to country either. lol

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbluegrl23 View Post
    there isn't one male artist either haha everyone is more southern rock now.
    Becca
    I think that Joey & Rory are the only artist in the entire genre who are "traditional country" artist.

Carrie Follower
    Faraway....I pretty much agree & absorb your post. I do believe the electric guitar has made a huge impact upon music much like the sliding guitar did.

On the Kellie note: Don't shoot kellie fans, hear me out. I find Kellie to most who i've heard mention to be taken in doses. They either love her or don't. I'm not quite sure why she doesn't connect like other, as I think her a gem amongst others her age in music. I don't believe it's her sound as much as it is her choices in songs. She has some standouts but overall, her albums to me lack connectivity. Make sense? I personally like her sound not her choices.

I know Carrie has stated she wells up in tears but this is precisely why I want her to push through it. I think it will open HER up to writing about more personal topics therefore broadening her base. I find comments from other artists/reviewers tend to lean to "she has pipes but her topics lack connection" to be closer to the truth than away. I'm not saying her songs are not good but they are NOT personal for the most part. By her own words. I believe many others are waiting for her to take a leap of the safety net & just fly. Imagine a love song, singing it with her adoring husband in mind. No high notes, just song beautifully like SWISLY. In a soft yet commanding tone with the lights down and not a single voice to be heard in the audience..... that would absolutely capture attention. NOt only because you need to be quiet to hear it but you also need to be quiet to interpert the lyrics and her delivery. Maybe i'm of the minority on this but I believe the day she delivers an album that is PERSONAL to her, her life & her thoughts, fears & dreams..... THAT WILL BE HER MONSTER ALBUM.... in sales, respect, awards, fanbase & crossover followers.

Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    I agree that "Forever Changed" is an absolute standout as an album track - a beautiful vocal, one of the best she's achieved, without any need to rely on "power" delivery, with a realistic emotional pull. God made me to never be pregnant - but I can still relate to every line of this song, as carrying the feeling that I love to hear in a truly great interpretation of a sensitive lyric.
    However, Carrie has said that it's too emotional a song for her to feel comfortable singing live, and I think she's virtually ruled it out as a single.

On the more general point about "Pop Country", a recent concert reviewer said that Carrie should consider making an album of Country classics. While I share that sentiment - I do think it could be difficult to fit in. These headline artists tend to make one album every two or three years, and are under career pressure to make that a blockbuster. It is sometimes possible to slip in something like a tour album or a Christmas album (but Carrie hasn't yet done a whole album that stands apart from her main career sequence of releases)
    Kellie Pickler recently made an album that could be considered as traditional as today's Mainstream will bear - but I believe it's sold under 100,000 and received relatively little play on Mainstream stations. Desirable though it might be on other grounds, I don't think Carrie's present career could accomodate an album of that type - it couldn't, for example, be expected to support the level of touring that the present album era is sustaining - and, to be realistic, probably wouldn't help an award nomination.

In any case, I think the supposed dichotomy between Pop and Country can be exaggerated. The commercial "Nashville Sound" was founded on a blending of Pop and Country influences. Key artists of the "golden age" of Nashville - such as Patsy Cline, Eddie Arnold and Jim Reeves used a lot of Pop influences in their songs. (Even Jimmie Rodgers in the 1920s was using "voh-de-oh-doh" music hall choruses and ragtime influences in his work). Carrie prefers to call what she sings "Contemporary Country" - and I think that is justified, since it focuses on the fact that, while the blend changes over time - and the blend today won't be the same as ten or twenty years ago - the idea of a blend itself is not a new development.

The point is, Country Music is not just one style, and has never been a closed world. A few years ago, I had a conversation with Cary Fridley, a leading contemporary exponent of Old Time Music. She believes that many of the Old Time, pre-commercial, Mountain musicians would have used electric guitars if they'd been widely available and affordable in previous eras. Here's an example of her present day work, which I think illustrates her point that even Old TimeCountry Music is always capable of evolving:

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by CoopysTunes View Post
    Faraway....I pretty much agree & absorb your post. I do believe the electric guitar has made a huge impact upon music much like the sliding guitar did.

On the Kellie note: Don't shoot kellie fans, hear me out. I find Kellie to most who i've heard mention to be taken in doses. They either love her or don't. I'm not quite sure why she doesn't connect like other, as I think her a gem amongst others her age in music. I don't believe it's her sound as much as it is her choices in songs. She has some standouts but overall, her albums to me lack connectivity. Make sense? I personally like her sound not her choices.

I know Carrie has stated she wells up in tears but this is precisely why I want her to push through it. I think it will open HER up to writing about more personal topics therefore broadening her base. I find comments from other artists/reviewers tend to lean to "she has pipes but her topics lack connection" to be closer to the truth than away. I'm not saying her songs are not good but they are NOT personal for the most part. By her own words. I believe many others are waiting for her to take a leap of the safety net & just fly. Imagine a love song, singing it with her adoring husband in mind. No high notes, just song beautifully like SWISLY. In a soft yet commanding tone with the lights down and not a single voice to be heard in the audience..... that would absolutely capture attention. NOt only because you need to be quiet to hear it but you also need to be quiet to interpert the lyrics and her delivery. Maybe i'm of the minority on this but I believe the day she delivers an album that is PERSONAL to her, her life & her thoughts, fears & dreams..... THAT WILL BE HER MONSTER ALBUM.... in sales, respect, awards, fanbase & crossover followers.
    my thing with carrie is that there are different types of artists in this world. some wish to share every little detail of their lives, while other's would rather creates cool stories and sell those stories. that's carrie. she has a major super star image and she uses it to separate herself from her normal life. its what she does with her music. she doesn't want to give herself away. now, does she sometimes? yes. and i'm sure she may end up doing more and more of it. but this separation also allows her to write and record songs like BA and TBC.
    Becca

Carrie Follower
    Quote Originally Posted by pklongbeach View Post
    I think the case has been made and it makes a lot of sense: Miranda and Taylor are easy to fit into a sterotype. So for voters and the community at large it becomes about "are they doing what they do well".
    For Carrie, I know she carries a much larger burden of proof as she is a much larger encompassing entity.
    She is many things at once. It is hard to pinpont what she is doing and say "she is doing well".
    Much like Martina McBride, when you sing that well, you are only competing with yourself. And if the voters are not completely convinced, they pass you up because they feel you can do better. Regardless of the fact that you just Blew Away the competition.
    You make a stellar point here. When I personally say traditional country, I'm saying I like her sound when she sings Loretta, Tammy & even some of the boys. I love that sound from her. Does that make her heart the happiest, I don't know. But it makes mine soar. I love her sound, Truly I do. OTherwise I would not own all 4 cd's. I would not watch a shameful show like the CMA's just to see her. I would not, not quite there but almost, defy my extreme chlostrophobia just to go see her. But I do love hearing and watching her sing country from years gone by. Stereotyping is not what I want for her. I want her to reach further. Keep doing what your doing, but in the off year, throw me a bone... make a classic traditional country album of say remakes/covers..... that would just let me die in peace it would.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    ^ Alan Jackson is fairly traditional to me, but maybe the better word is "old school."

The new men are nothing near to traditional, and most are nothing near to country either. lol
    The only current guy who could be considered traditional is Jamey Johnson.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by CoopysTunes View Post
    You make a stellar point here. When I personally say traditional country, I'm saying I like her sound when she sings Loretta, Tammy & even some of the boys. I love that sound from her. Does that make her heart the happiest, I don't know. But it makes mine soar. I love her sound, Truly I do. OTherwise I would not own all 4 cd's. I would not watch a shameful show like the CMA's just to see her. I would not, not quite there but almost, defy my extreme chlostrophobia just to go see her. But I do love hearing and watching her sing country from years gone by. Stereotyping is not what I want for her. I want her to reach further. Keep doing what your doing, but in the off year, throw me a bone... make a classic traditional country album of say remakes/covers..... that would just let me die in peace it would.
    I'm sure she'll end up doing it someday.
    Becca
    Farawayhills and pklongbeach like this.

Concert Stars
    I would love if Carrie does a "traditional" CD

Carrie Fans Maniac robinannhunt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    I would love if Carrie does a "traditional" CD
    Maybe a bonus CD of more traditional songs. Then a bonus CD of christmas songs. Then a bonus cd of christian songs.
    Gator and Ann055 like this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by robinannhunt View Post
    Maybe a bonus CD of more traditional songs. Then a bonus CD of christmas songs. Then a bonus cd of christian songs.
    I like the way you think! That would be ideal! We should put that on our Christmas list.
    Ann055 and robinannhunt like this.

Concert Stars
    Well, there were a few magazines that had Carrie winning FV but the majority still say Miranda. So, altho' they aren't what determines the vote, I still say Carrie will not win this year and I am not planning on her winning. It makes me sad, but it seems everyone is still on this Miranda lovefest and I think she will win.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by liz278 View Post
    Well, there were a few magazines that had Carrie winning FV but the majority still say Miranda. So, altho' they aren't what determines the vote, I still say Carrie will not win this year and I am not planning on her winning. It makes me sad, but it seems everyone is still on this Miranda lovefest and I think she will win.
    I am going with Carrie based on her stronger back half of the eligibility period, neither of the two have a complete resume so it could go either way.

Concert Stars
    I don't put a lot of weight on some people's predictions; they are individual opinions. Also, I will never understand why any Carrie fan would automatically count Carrie out for winning any award she is nominated for. Most awards are out of our control anyway. My personal opinion is that we appreciate the nomination(s) that come her way, have faith in and support Carrie, no matter what, and hope for the best. There is nothing to be gained by the "Carrie won't win" mentality. I'm more of an optimistic person, than the doom and gloom type. I prefer the faith and hope over doom and gloom. If/when Carrie wins, fantastic. If not, hopefully the next time. Will I be disappointed if she doesn't win? Absolutely. But, I'm not going to waste time and energy worrying about things I cannot control. We just have to take solace that we've supported Carrie with all our heart, by purchasing her music, voting, streaming, requesting, etc. Sorry. Rant over.
    robinannhunt likes this.

Concert Stars
    I'm just not aware of what voters could hang on to Miranda to vote for her this year.
    I feel like it will not have to do with output in a given year. And that is what it is supposed to be about.
    IF I was in Vegas I would still go with Carrie.
    I feel like there is a quiet undercurrent that is in her favor.
    Sad thing is, voters have to sneak around to vote for her. Ha ha.

Quote Originally Posted by Gator View Post
    I don't put a lot of weight on some people's predictions; they are individual opinions. Also, I will never understand why any Carrie fan would automatically count Carrie out for winning any award she is nominated for. Most awards are out of our control anyway. My personal opinion is that we appreciate the nomination(s) that come her way, have faith in and support Carrie, no matter what, and hope for the best. There is nothing to be gained by the "Carrie won't win" mentality. I'm more of an optimistic person, than the doom and gloom type. I prefer the faith and hope over doom and gloom. If/when Carrie wins, fantastic. If not, hopefully the next time. Will I be disappointed if she doesn't win? Absolutely. But, I'm not going to waste time and energy worrying about things I cannot control. We just have to take solace that we've supported Carrie with all our heart, by purchasing her music, voting, streaming, requesting, etc. Sorry. Rant over.
    Thank you for this post! I feel the same!
    Gator likes this.

•  
    Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast