Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Like Tree254Likes

Thread: 2012 CMA Awards: Staff Picks & Predictions

i like the cma's it is the one time of the year where i can watch brad and carrie on tv having a good time, and making fun of their peers, and those celebrities outside of country music.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    I can hazard a number of guesses why Carrie has gathered enough votes to get CMA nominations in recent years, but not enough to get award wins (which implies that she's been getting recent support from some industry voters, but not enough to carry a majority.) I think Marie2011 has already touched on some of the reasons - Carrie's personal image doesn't always sit comfortably with the more stereotyped preconceptions of some voters. She's also never been seen by some as a Nashville insider. Her route to commercial success owed little to the industry, and some have always felt she was foisted on them by national television. For some voters, her output tends to fall between two stools - not "hard core" enough for the Miranda fans, and not "teen mania" enough for those mesmorized by Taylor's apparent drawing power. Then there is "Just a Dream" - which seems to pretty much coincide in time with the end of her award run at the CMA. Steve McEwen warned Carrie that this song would be perceived as political, and "off message" by some of the more "gung ho" minded voters. To some extent, there was an attempt to smooth the impact (the suggested title "American Dream" was dropped, and parts of the video were filmed to vaguely suggest the Vietnam era - though Carrie kept the contemporary date on the widow's letter.) I think Carrie took a risk with this song (nearly all the songs with a similar theme, since "Travelling Soldier" had been released in the Alternative sector - and the writers felt from the beginning that only Carrie would back it). In the end, the song was effectively "snubbed" by all the industry shows - which broke my heart, but did nothing but increase my admiration for Carrie.

Carrie seems to have been further handicapped recently by the fact that Sony seem to have taken the decision to concentrate on Blown Away for a big push next year. I still don't understand how this is possible, given the published rules - but, as Gary Overton and Ann Edelblute have seats on the CMA board, they must know what they are doing.
    Carrie has, in fact, been better treated by the ACM voters - who have a reputation of being less influenced by Nashville, and kinder to artists with Western backgrounds (Toby Keith and Rascal Flatts are other examples of people who've done better at the ACMs).
    But despite that, this year's CMAs have still to be announced - and I'm still hopeful that her big "new level" album and radio reception will have been noticed by enough industry voters to break the dearth of the last three years.
    I hate to be Debbie Downer here but I really don't thing BA (album) is going to get a nod at next year's CMA's. I hope I am proven wrong but there will be more new albums out by the time the CMA's come around next year and I just don't think BA will have a shot next year. I am not sure what Sony can do but let's just say I am skeptical. I really don't understand why it did not get a nod this year. I am hoping it gets at least a country album nod at the Grammys. Hopefully, Carrie will also get a few nominations at the ACM's. Anyways, as you say lets hope enough industry voters vote for Carrie for FVOTY and she gets a win. It would be nice to see Carrie back in the award spotlight for a change.
    teesharky likes this.

Concert Stars
    Without going too far off topic, I was always alittle confused by JAD.
    As a liberal minded person, walking among conservative minded people who follow Carrie, I was confused by the message of JAD that appeared to me to be antiwar, and yet was being sold to a conservative audience who was "support our troops at all cost".
    So i never quite understood how it was being read by the industry except that I was trepidatious about it from the very beginning.

Junior Carrie Follower
    My guess the CMA voters see it like this

TS-the money making machine and bringing teens more to country music(tho shes a pop star in disguise) so they have to keep her ass around to revive the genre to the new generations

ML-the best selling(tho out of the three she is the least seccuessful) TRADITIONAL country chick, no mix no pop, 100% country bad as ideal redneck "just like how country should be" -__- MY ASS

CARRIE- then theres the girl with the most powerful voice in country music, since they feel like they gave her enough the years shes won, they decide to actually "prove" theyre theory of ur not suppose to be so successful so fast thru tv. and since they already tolerate taylor, they feel like Carrie is to pop so they give it to the other two

we a know who the real winner is, and we know she cant win EVERY year(tho she should hihi) but i think if she manages to win a big award again shed start crying ike when she won her CMA horizon award lol
    teesharky likes this.

Concert Stars
    I think you're right.
    And when she does win again, CMA is gonna feel like it was on their terms.
    And that will mean alot to Carrie I'm sure.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pklongbeach View Post
    As a liberal minded person, walking among conservative minded people who follow Carrie, I was confused by the message of JAD that appeared to me to be antiwar, and yet was being sold to a conservative audience who was "support our troops at all cost".
    So i never quite understood how it was being read by the industry except that I was trepidatious about it from the very beginning.
    I think it's more complicated than Liberal/Conservative (for example - the Far Right Libertarians are usually anti-war, and Pres Obama, usually perceived as a Liberal, has been more assertive in air strikes and Navy Seal operations inside Pakistan). However, the fact remains that military recruitment in the US is still disproportionately skewed towards the "Poor White" demographic in the South. Many Country Music supporters live near a military base, or have relatives serving. This makes songs with a service death theme sensitive, even if they're not overtly political.
    Such songs have been relatively common in the Alt Country sector (e.g. The Truckers' "Dress Blues", or Reckless Kelly's "American Blood)" - but rare in the Mainstream. That's why I feel Carrie did take a career risk, on something that she presumably saw as an issue of principle.
    pklongbeach likes this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by nccountrygal View Post
    I hate to be Debbie Downer here but I really don't thing BA (album) is going to get a nod at next year's CMA's. I hope I am proven wrong but there will be more new albums out by the time the CMA's come around next year and I just don't think BA will have a shot next year. I am not sure what Sony can do but let's just say I am skeptical. I really don't understand why it did not get a nod this year. I am hoping it gets at least a country album nod at the Grammys. Hopefully, Carrie will also get a few nominations at the ACM's. Anyways, as you say lets hope enough industry voters vote for Carrie for FVOTY and she gets a win. It would be nice to see Carrie back in the award spotlight for a change.
    This was a tough year for artist to have their album eligible for AOTY, the noms could have been 7 and a deserving album still would have been left out.
    abbeyjones18 likes this.

Carrie Follower
    Quote Originally Posted by kdprouty View Post
    Your opinion above is why I feel Carrie needs to make singles out of songs like GIG and WAW. I feel this would put her in good standing with the country industry voters. These are beautiful country songs and she does emote in them.
    Good picks but I say, all the way in... FOREVER CHANGED... that's the money song on this record. Every single family can relate to one getting old, moving on in their mind and eventually slipping away....

I think her single choices have been safe if not really matter of fact. She needs to take risk the old timers will respect.

Carrie Follower
    Quote Originally Posted by pgk View Post
    It's amazingly disappointing to find that after 7 years some factions of the country industry is looking for ways to devalue the best artist to join the country milieu in the last 10 years. Now the word I hear in connection with Carrie is, 'interpretive'. It is the element that is being used, it seems, to exclude Carrie from some awards and nominations to an extent and given instead to people like Miranda and/or Taylor. Miranda appears to me, to be an extrovert by nature as is Taylor,which often leads to less inhibition and they use it to the hilt to address those songs that tug at the hearstrings. You know the songs. They're the ones that have garnered them the most attention, and have lead to multiple awards.
    Carrie on the other hand strikes me as an introvert and quite inhibited. This I believe limits her ability/willingness to emote especially in the touchy feelie songs (love songs, sad songs) and perhaps helps explain why Carrie doesn't do, or prefers not to do these types of songs. And as luck would have it, it's been those types of songs that the country industry voters are now focused on and see as award worthy.
    And so it would seem that Carrie's biggest strength, ie. her unmatchable vocals have been muted and her critics have found something (interpretation) they can use to make Carrie less of a contender in certain categories.
    Personally I prefer Carrie's style of emoting. It is poignant and subtle,which believe it or not, for me, makes it even more sensitive than a bucket full of tears.
    I've come to the conclusion that some country award voters just simply don't /can't do 'subtle'.
    She chose country but she is running a fine line between pop and country. I'm sorry but it can't be both ways in true traditional country. I don't think she deserved the nastiness that george jones labeled her with but I get WHY he did it. LOOK, this girl can sing COUNTRY. SHe doesn't need pop. She has sung some of the oldest truest country tunes out there and they love her. SHe can sing acapella and they love her. Her vocals are not in question nor is her talent. Her dedication to the SOUND of COUNTRY music of yesteryear is. I guess you have to be above a certain age to really understand this but to many, she is NOT country no matter what shows or charts you put her music on. I think she is eclectic but unfortunately, if your gonna say yur coun-try, ya betta be coun-try!

Carrie Follower
    Quote Originally Posted by bs63093 View Post
    My guess the CMA voters see it like this

TS-the money making machine and bringing teens more to country music(tho shes a pop star in disguise) so they have to keep her ass around to revive the genre to the new generations

ML-the best selling(tho out of the three she is the least seccuessful) TRADITIONAL country chick, no mix no pop, 100% country bad as ideal redneck "just like how country should be" -__- MY ASS

CARRIE- then theres the girl with the most powerful voice in country music, since they feel like they gave her enough the years shes won, they decide to actually "prove" theyre theory of ur not suppose to be so successful so fast thru tv. and since they already tolerate taylor, they feel like Carrie is to pop so they give it to the other two

we a know who the real winner is, and we know she cant win EVERY year(tho she should hihi) but i think if she manages to win a big award again shed start crying ike when she won her CMA horizon award lol
    I disagree with this only. I believe CARRIE is the girl to bring over the youngins from other generations. NOT TAYLOR. Carrie has country chops, she's just not using them as a traditionalist.

Carrie Fans Maniac robinannhunt's Avatar
    There is no money in "old", "Traditional" country music. Radio doesn't even play this music anymore. The masses want country/pop now. The industry wants pop/country.
    rainbow1, teesharky, JB172 and 2 others like this.

Carrie Follower
    Quote Originally Posted by robinannhunt View Post
    There is no money in "old", "Traditional" country music. Radio doesn't even play this music anymore. The masses want country/pop now. The industry wants pop/country.
    I don't agree fully. I do believe radio still plays traditional country as I hear it in my area. Why call it country if it leans pop. If that's the case, then billboard did the right thing ( though I don't agree with their bonehead move) but, that rational can be made with thinking akin to yours. Not that your right or wrong. Just the way it is I suppose. I don't like pop country. I like country. I like some pop.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by pklongbeach View Post

I never saw JAD as antiwar. It is just lamenting your lost love, who died in a war. I never saw it as political at all, but more of a sad, desolate, beautiful love song.

Concert Stars
    agree. But the voters seem to want traditional country-- so they go with Miranda over Carrie. lol

If you think about it, Taylor has not won country music industry voted awards in awhile, other then EOTY for her touring. The Grammys love her but the CMAS and ACMs have cooled towards Taylor considerably.

I sometimes think Carrie gets lumped unfairly in with Taylor, and punished accordingly, for being too pop like Taylor. Carrie dabbles in pop but she is way more country then Taylor ever could be in her wildest dreams.
    robinannhunt likes this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CoopysTunes View Post
    Good picks but I say, all the way in... FOREVER CHANGED... that's the money song on this record. Every single family can relate to one getting old, moving on in their mind and eventually slipping away....
    I agree that "Forever Changed" is an absolute standout as an album track - a beautiful vocal, one of the best she's achieved, without any need to rely on "power" delivery, with a realistic emotional pull. God made me to never be pregnant - but I can still relate to every line of this song, as carrying the feeling that I love to hear in a truly great interpretation of a sensitive lyric.
    However, Carrie has said that it's too emotional a song for her to feel comfortable singing live, and I think she's virtually ruled it out as a single.

On the more general point about "Pop Country", a recent concert reviewer said that Carrie should consider making an album of Country classics. While I share that sentiment - I do think it could be difficult to fit in. These headline artists tend to make one album every two or three years, and are under career pressure to make that a blockbuster. It is sometimes possible to slip in something like a tour album or a Christmas album (but Carrie hasn't yet done a whole album that stands apart from her main career sequence of releases)
    Kellie Pickler recently made an album that could be considered as traditional as today's Mainstream will bear - but I believe it's sold under 100,000 and received relatively little play on Mainstream stations. Desirable though it might be on other grounds, I don't think Carrie's present career could accomodate an album of that type - it couldn't, for example, be expected to support the level of touring that the present album era is sustaining - and, to be realistic, probably wouldn't help an award nomination.

In any case, I think the supposed dichotomy between Pop and Country can be exaggerated. The commercial "Nashville Sound" was founded on a blending of Pop and Country influences. Key artists of the "golden age" of Nashville - such as Patsy Cline, Eddie Arnold and Jim Reeves used a lot of Pop influences in their songs. (Even Jimmie Rodgers in the 1920s was using "voh-de-oh-doh" music hall choruses and ragtime influences in his work). Carrie prefers to call what she sings "Contemporary Country" - and I think that is justified, since it focuses on the fact that, while the blend changes over time - and the blend today won't be the same as ten or twenty years ago - the idea of a blend itself is not a new development.

The point is, Country Music is not just one style, and has never been a closed world. A few years ago, I had a conversation with Cary Fridley, a leading contemporary exponent of Old Time Music. She believes that many of the Old Time, pre-commercial, Mountain musicians would have used electric guitars if they'd been widely available and affordable in previous eras. Here's an example of her present day work, which I think illustrates her point that even Old TimeCountry Music is always capable of evolving:

Concert Stars
    Carrie should win, but they won't reward her because they know for every vocalist award Carrie is nominated for she's the only deserving winner.
    teesharky likes this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Country radio SUCKS and that is why I only listen if the famliy is in the car and they want to listen to it.
    abbeyjones18 and robinannhunt like this.

Junior Carrie Follower
    All the well thought out reasons why Carrie is snubbed sound great , but the truth is as basic as the industries jealousy. There is no other logical reason to heap awards on SWSRN and the greatly overrated ML. To me it is just petty and small thus befitting the CMA organization regardless of what they going forward. Do you like my politically correct term?

Carrie has never claimed to be traditional country - I'm not sure why so many seem to expect her to be. And IMO, she's such a fan of so many different types of music, that she never will be country enough for some folks. Oh well; we all have different tastes at the end of the day.

I say she should just continue doing what makes her happy - it certainly has worked for her so far!

Scrolling through the posts, one question in my mind was, Miranda is TRADITIONAL COUNTRY? I like Miranda, don't get me wrong, and yes, Carrie's music has more pop elements than hers, but ML's music is not strictly traditional. She blends in several influences, just like what Carrie does.

•  
    Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast