Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree254Likes

Thread: 2012 CMA Awards: Staff Picks & Predictions

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow1 View Post
    I'm so glad you mentioned that line...Sometimes my heart is breaking.....That is my favorite line in the album!! I play SYA over and over, just to hear that line....she's soooo vulnerable there, and I've never heard anything more beautiful!!!!!!!!
    Aww, that is so funny you say that. IT might be my favorite line she has ever recorded.
    IT breaks my heart eveytime I hear it.
    I sometimes try to get it to play it back just for that one line.
    That is what great singers can do.
    Glad I am not alone.
    It is my fav on the whole album.
    (Ironic that it really isn't a country song at all. Though I think it would play ok at country)
    rainbow1 and teesharky like this.

Junior Carrie Follower carriefan13's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Marie2011 View Post
    i think it is because carrie chooses not to eat meat, and people use that against her thinking that she is anti-rodeo, anti-hunting, anti-fishing, etc.etc. even though she isn't
    I really don't think it has anything to do with that. Anybody that knows Carrie knows that although her music isn't always 100% country, she is a country girl at heart and has nothing but respect for all of the country greats before her. It's been said a million times before, it's all politics; just dirty, wrong politics and there's nothing we can do about it except support Carrie like we have been for the past eight years...
    teesharky and bs63093 like this.

Concert Stars
    Did these people actually vote? If they feel this way, I don't doubt others do as well and perhaps through that Carrie has earned enough votes...

Concert Stars
    I don't think these are voters, but once again we are seeing a rather slanted attitude by the public towards Carrie.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by pklongbeach View Post
    Aww, that is so funny you say that. IT might be my favorite line she has ever recorded.
    IT breaks my heart eveytime I hear it.
    I sometimes try to get it to play it back just for that one line.
    That is what great singers can do.
    Glad I am not alone.
    It is my fav on the whole album.
    (Ironic that it really isn't a country song at all. Though I think it would play ok at country)
    It is also my fav and always on repeat,I always go to track 4 right away. I lost my husband 4 years ago and I can totally relate to this song and it's also just sang so beautifully. Love it.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    My gosh some of you are acting like it's a fact that these picks that don't mean crap is how the awards are going to go, geez at least wait until Thursday night before you all go into meltdown mode.
    abbeyjones18 likes this.

Concert Stars
    Can you imagine if SYA was a single.
    I would kind of flip!
    Much like I did when ITYS was announced.
    That was a secret fav of mine as well.
    simonplay and bs63093 like this.

Junior Carrie Follower underwoodfanfrance's Avatar
    I think Miranda & Carrie are both eligible to win, but my heart beats for Carrie... of course We'll see on November 1st (can't wait, less than 4 days now) #GoCarrie

Junior Carrie Follower
    Quote Originally Posted by pgk View Post
    It's amazingly disappointing to find that after 7 years some factions of the country industry is looking for ways to devalue the best artist to join the country milieu in the last 10 years. Now the word I hear in connection with Carrie is, 'interpretive'. It is the element that is being used, it seems, to exclude Carrie from some awards and nominations to an extent and given instead to people like Miranda and/or Taylor. Miranda appears to me, to be an extrovert by nature as is Taylor,which often leads to less inhibition and they use it to the hilt to address those songs that tug at the hearstrings. You know the songs. They're the ones that have garnered them the most attention, and have lead to multiple awards.
    Carrie on the other hand strikes me as an introvert and quite inhibited. This I believe limits her ability/willingness to emote especially in the touchy feelie songs (love songs, sad songs) and perhaps helps explain why Carrie doesn't do, or prefers not to do these types of songs. And as luck would have it, it's been those types of songs that the country industry voters are now focused on and see as award worthy.

And so it would seem that Carrie's biggest strength, ie. her unmatchable vocals have been muted and her critics have found something (interpretation) they can use to make Carrie less of a contender in certain categories.
    Personally I prefer Carrie's style of emoting. It is poignant and subtle,which believe it or not, for me, makes it even more sensitive than a bucket full of tears.
    I've come to the conclusion that some country award voters just simply don't /can't do 'subtle'.
    Your opinion above is why I feel Carrie needs to make singles out of songs like GIG and WAW. I feel this would put her in good standing with the country industry voters. These are beautiful country songs and she does emote in them.
    Jae likes this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan bigbluegrl23's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by kdprouty View Post
    Your opinion above is why I feel Carrie needs to make singles out of songs like GIG and WAW. I feel this would put her in good standing with the country industry voters. These are beautiful country songs and she does emote in them.
    yeah but the second she does, there will be a completely different excuse for why she's not winning.
    Becca

Carrie Follower
    I agree with Toby Keith on this he thinks the fan voting is much better than the peer group because of all the politics behind it. Without the fans none of the would have anything! He supports fan voted awards not the cma's.
    carriefan13 likes this.

sco
    Insane Carrie Fan
    It is interesting that all through that article the should wins and will wins rarely line up. It is annoying but doesn't enrage me because I know in the grand scheme of things the awards dont really matter that much. It's nice to get them but they don't make a career.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    WOW! There's some big praise in this article (Tara was always Carrie's backer, but some of the others have really come around!)

"I still believe Underwood’s best is yet to come, but she deserves respect from the industry and critics alike for taking the kind of creative, thematic and interpretive risks she took with Blown Away."

"In my perfect world, Carrie Underwood’s solid new music (which was released within this year’s eligibility period) would nab her the trophy."

"
    I’ve been highly critical of Underwood’s grossly over-praised and over-rewarded output. But, this year, I’d prefer to see Underwood recognized for what is far and away her career-best work

"Underwood’s reached new heights of artistry while still maintaining her commercial relevance. I’d call her one of the best, but that would imply there’s anyone else in her league right now.

"Underwood’s taste in material has deepened, but what excites me most is that her interpretive abilities have, too. I never used to feel comfortable with those comparisons to the Trishas and Connies of the world. Now I do.

That last point is particularly significant. Connie Smith has been widely claimed as the best Country vocalist of her generation - and also as an artist who never compromised her talent, and saw her qualities as an artist as more important than the celebrity fame of some of her contemporaries. For a critic to see Carrie in a similar light ranks among the highest praise she's received from this category of review. And it's also significant that it comes as something of a "conversion", from a writer impressed by her development.

I know some of you are primarily disappointed in the predictions that the industry voters won't reward her - but that hasn't happened yet (and even if the predictions come true - awards ebb and flow over the years). For my part, nothing's going to take away from the sort of praise I'm seeing from these critics!

And I'm going to make a further point - which I'm afraid may not be too popular. As several of these comments refer to Carrie's growth as an artist, and to her best work so far - I think it's very important that she maintains the creative impetus of "Blown Away". I definitely feel that she needs to concentrate on releasing the stronger, more innovative, "new level" songs. For her to release a more lightweight, unchallenging song at this stage would risk being seen by people outside the fan base as a step backwards - and that could weaken the impression of "Blown Away" as a groundbreaking album.

---------------------------

Turning to the other predictions, I accept that Miranda probably does not deserve top honours this time - and I think that reinforces my above point, in that she's probably paying the price for releasing a couple of relatively weak "easy radio material" singles. But I don't agree that "Four the Record" as a whole is a poor album - it contains some strong songs (and some welcome tributes to some of the best names in Alternative Country today). I do want Miranda and Trey Fanjoy to win the video award (and there I disagree with the critics, for I found, and still find, it very moving)
    I want Will Hoge & Eric Paslay to win Song of the Year, and Sam Bush to win Musician of the Year (and I'm pleased to see some of these writers agree - though, as in the case of Carrie, they don't expect the voters to!)

Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbluegrl23 View Post
    besides THTBM, there is absolutely no other reason for Miranda to win. she shouldn't even have two female vocalist awards imo. if she wins this year, it won't mean jack ****. BA blows away everything miranda has released this year. when it comes to how people look back on an artist, it will be carrie. Miranda clearly needs the hype, Carrie has remained the top artist in country music and yet, she hasn't won an award in 3 years. that says something. its not all award hype.
    Becca
    Correction: BA blows away Miranda's entire music career.

Concert Stars
    I to, would like to accept the impressions of these folks that Carrie is indeed an artist of of strong growth potencial and is basically in a league all her own.
    And if there was no award to be had at all I would be fine with this.
    But as we live in a society of "Award Nights" and "Headlines"
    As we see "Country's Entertainer of the YEar"! plastered across every major publication, I can not forget that it "does" mean something when so many will write down someone elses name. It just does.
    When it seems so obvious to me that she is doing everything to garner these milestones and others are not but they are the ones who take them, I am just left feeling odd about it.
    Sure, if she took the attitude of a Toby or a Loretta or even a Johnny, and truly Did Not Care, I think I to would feel differently about the whole process.
    I mean I am ready to lay down my arms here and now.
    But the truth is "she does care". She is working toward those goals. I do think she takes them seriously. Not for herself but for the image and brand that she and her team have created. Carrie Underwood: The Superstar, is supposed to win these types of awards. Again, not cause she wants them so much as it is part of the system and game she is playing.
    Therefore, when they hold these things away from her "intentionally" it just feels sad and frustrating that she is winning on all levels but the community she is playing with refuses to acknowdege her accomplishment.
    How anyone is going to be able to write someone eles name next to female vocalist is beside me.
    Not acknowldging her best album and one of the top albums of the year is beyond me. To refuse year after year to acknowldege her as one of the top artists in the field is beyond me.
    Again, if she wanted to just lay it all down tomorrow and make small albums just for fans and have a life of her own, I would be ready to lay down my arms as well.
    But that is not what she is doing, and it is not what she wants.
    Therefore, regardless of how you paint it, for me, it is disheartening to see her overlooked, even conversationally, by those who have the control to change it.
    "She did her best body of work to date and is more than deserving But Will Not Win". That is what I read. That is what I heard.
    And that is disheartening.
    Not because she doesn't care, but because she does care.

Concert Stars
    (and after that rant I am not conceeding that she will lose, but that I am frustrated that people see her as less of a contender)
    rainbow1 and DaisyTweets like this.

Quote Originally Posted by pklongbeach View Post
    it is disheartening to see her overlooked, even conversationally, by those who have the control to change it.
    "She did her best body of work to date and is more than deserving But Will Not Win". That is what I read. That is what I heard.
    And that is disheartening.
    I can fully understand that you're disheartened with the prospect that she might not win the award she's been nominated for at the upcoming CMAs - but I'm more puzzled by the implication that that somehow weakens the praise these writers are giving her. These four or five people have no control over how the several thousand industry voters have already voted. They are writers who regularly review and comment on Country Music - but as they're independent bloggers, rather than industry employees, I think it rather unlikely that they'd even be members of the CMA (even if any of them were, their individual impact on the voting would be negligible - most members vote for what's heavily promoted and heavily played, rather than taking their cue from blogs and reviews. In any case, the winning horses have already left the stable - it's just a matter now of the accountants verifying the votes).

What these writers are saying is pretty much in line with what many fans on this board have been saying - namely that Carrie should have won, but may not have. I think she still may have. But even if she hasn't - I don't see how that takes anything away from the praise she's getting in this article. I expect fans to praise her - but I've learnt to have less expectations of what critics and reviewers are liable to say. When they do praise her (and some of this is high praise, coming from this quarter), it means a lot to me. I want to see Carrie recognized for depth and growth. I want to see her regarded as an artist of stature. To be honest (with no offence intended to their fans), I can live without the frequent comparisons to Taylor Swift and Shania Twain - but when I see her put on the same critical level as artists like Trisha Yearwood and Connie Smith, I see that as recognition of her long term standing in the genre.

Of course, I'm not saying that charts and awards are not an important goal - I take your point about playing the game, for what it actually is. But Carrie's excelled in those areas before, and will do so again. Critical praise has been slower to come, and has often been stinted. Different fans have different priorities - and getting this sort of recognition is one of mine. This remains one of the best articles of its type that I've seen.

Concert Stars
    Yes, you are right. And I don't mean to down play the fact that people are finally regarding Carrie as an Artist.
    And I don't mean to downplay the words that they did say in honor of her.
    I guess I am just pointing out the juxtoposition of these people acknowledging that she has positioned herself and through talent and skill, stands in position to take that honor but don't feel like voters will vote for her.
    I guess I should have said "alittle disheartened". I do acknowldege that many of the greats; Loretta Johnny Elvis Connie (who I admit I don't know) were not embraced by the industry as Award Winners either, and now stand as the pinnicle of the genres artistic output. But I don't think they worked within an idustry that is run by headlines either.
    I will take a note from Tee's notebook and say that accomplishments do mean alot these days. And you are only as popular as your latest Hit.
    So even though I feel like Carries work stands for itself, she seems (at the moment) stuck between Artist (like A.Krauss who wins out of respect) and Popular Star (like Taylor who wins out of honor of accomplishment).
    Also, I do feel like Carrie can not continue the strength and acceptance of her output at the level she is doing now forever.
    So I would just love to see her honored when the oportunity is there, cause I am (just barely) smart enough to know that she can not continue to fire at this level forever.
    But I do love your input, and it always causes me to stop and think about what she does have and not so much about what she doesn't.

I can hazard a number of guesses why Carrie has gathered enough votes to get CMA nominations in recent years, but not enough to get award wins (which implies that she's been getting recent support from some industry voters, but not enough to carry a majority.) I think Marie2011 has already touched on some of the reasons - Carrie's personal image doesn't always sit comfortably with the more stereotyped preconceptions of some voters. She's also never been seen by some as a Nashville insider. Her route to commercial success owed little to the industry, and some have always felt she was foisted on them by national television. For some voters, her output tends to fall between two stools - not "hard core" enough for the Miranda fans, and not "teen mania" enough for those mesmorized by Taylor's apparent drawing power. Then there is "Just a Dream" - which seems to pretty much coincide in time with the end of her award run at the CMA. Steve McEwen warned Carrie that this song would be perceived as political, and "off message" by some of the more "gung ho" minded voters. To some extent, there was an attempt to smooth the impact (the suggested title "American Dream" was dropped, and parts of the video were filmed to vaguely suggest the Vietnam era - though Carrie kept the contemporary date on the widow's letter.) I think Carrie took a risk with this song (nearly all the songs with a similar theme, since "Travelling Soldier" had been released in the Alternative sector - and the writers felt from the beginning that only Carrie would back it). In the end, the song was effectively "snubbed" by all the industry shows - which broke my heart, but did nothing but increase my admiration for Carrie.

Carrie seems to have been further handicapped recently by the fact that Sony seem to have taken the decision to concentrate on Blown Away for a big push next year. I still don't understand how this is possible, given the published rules - but, as Gary Overton and Ann Edelblute have seats on the CMA board, they must know what they are doing.
    Carrie has, in fact, been better treated by the ACM voters - who have a reputation of being less influenced by Nashville, and kinder to artists with Western backgrounds (Toby Keith and Rascal Flatts are other examples of people who've done better at the ACMs).
    But despite that, this year's CMAs have still to be announced - and I'm still hopeful that her big "new level" album and radio reception will have been noticed by enough industry voters to break the dearth of the last three years.

Hil
    The CMA's just annoy me.... that's all I have to say. It's soooo political.

•  
    Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast