Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 101
Like Tree254Likes

Thread: 2012 CMA Awards: Staff Picks & Predictions

  1. #21
    Carrie Guru Claire2004's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    the library. lol
    Posts
    11,128
    In a perfect world, the people who "should win" are actually the ones who "will win". Why can't it be that way? Sigh.

  • #22
    Carrie Fans Maniac kewlie78189's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    26,142
    Concert Stars
    wow this is terrible..I still hope Carrie wins!!

  • #23
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Raleigh , North Carolina
    Posts
    3,685
    Concert Stars
    Ya'll this is just their picks and it doesn't mean that will be out the awards turn out. Having said that though I hope they are wrong in alot of those categories where they say will win. Also, with alot of people praising BA the album why in the heck did it not get an AOTY nomination? I know her label said that they hope to get one next year but I don't think she will. To be honest in my opinion if BA was going to get a nomination it would have been this year.
    JB172 and pklongbeach like this.

  • #24
    Carrie Guru
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    17,945
    Concert Stars
    Seeing that three of them have Brantley Gilbert as their picks for "who will win", I wouldn't much must stock in all of their "will win" picks, seriously are they giving him credit for dating Jana Kramer.
    Claire2004 likes this.

  • #25
    Carrie Guru
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    17,945
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by nccountrygal View Post
    Ya'll this is just their picks and it doesn't mean that will be out the awards turn out. Having said that though I hope they are wrong in alot of those categories where they say will win. Also, with alot of people praising BA the album why in the heck did it not get an AOTY nomination? I know her label said that they hope to get one next year but I don't think she will. To be honest in my opinion if BA was going to get a nomination it would have been this year.
    Exactly, what their picks are don't mean a damn thing.

    We can put a poll together on here vote for every category with the winners of each poll being our picks and it would hold as much weight as anything that they have to say.
    jptexas likes this.

  • #26
    Ultimate Carrie Fan HuiZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Home
    Posts
    6,412
    Sigh... love is blind. Applies so much to CMA voters.


    Quote Originally Posted by maddkat View Post
    I think I love Kevin - "I’d call her one of the best, but that would imply there’s anyone else in her league right now."
    My favourite line too.

    I just love reading all the comments praising Carrie for her best work, and people finally realizing she's got amazing interpretive talent!

  • #27
    Ultimate Carrie Fan HuiZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Home
    Posts
    6,412
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire2004 View Post
    In a perfect world, the people who "should win" are actually the ones who "will win". Why can't it be that way? Sigh.
    Because we live in a messed up world
    Claire2004 and teesharky like this.

  • #28
    Insane Carrie Fan liz278's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5,365
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokyiiis View Post
    This thread enrages me so I'm leaving it.
    Me too! Just reading the stuff these guys say in the article and then saying that ML will win, just irritates me. I know that its not all about the awards for Carrie (watch last 5 minutes of Behind the Music) but for us who have supported her and loved her it gets down right irritating that it is WHO you know not who is the best.
    rainbow1 and teesharky like this.

  • #29
    Carrie Guru pklongbeach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Long Beach, California
    Posts
    18,901
    Concert Stars
    For me it is a continuation of the tone that people have towards Carrie when you hear these insiders talk.
    This sounds and feels very much like that video sounded of insiders just causally talking about who and why.
    Carrie is so much less regarded by these people than you would think she should be considering how popular she is and how high ranking she is.
    And here, in the face of her putting out her best work to date, they still don't see her winning.
    Why?
    When the majority see Miranda as having put out her worst material to date and Carrie her best, and still they think Miranda will win, this tells you something about how people are thinking towards these women.
    Carries ability to sing seems to have no influence on her winning a singing award.
    Nor does her success seem to have an effect on her winning a popularity award.
    Nor does her influence seem to have an effect on winning an "insider" award.
    Ok, So what is it?
    What is Miranda doing? I just don't understand anymore!
    I have stayed quite since THTBM, cause clearly it effected people and put Miranda in a position of interest to voters.
    But since then, she has had one mediocre accomplishment after another. And if she was just in the catagory because she is among the top 3, than ok. But predicted to win amost unanimously???
    Why??
    What is she doing that is so "right" in the eyes of voters??
    What is Carrie missing that does not make it really clear that she is far more reaching in her talent and popularity and mainstream interest in the music industry?????
    I think there is a backlash.
    I think there are too many who are not paying attention to the actual work, and its actual success rate.
    I am just ranting, and it is nice to hear that across the board they all think Carrie is the one who has done enough to win (which is almost an insult to have to mention), but that they can come to that conclussion and still believe that the voters wont vote for her is a real problem.
    That really does point to something bigger going on than "who is the best at the craft".
    (and it is just my humble opinion, but coming of the major partnership of Tim and Faith, Blake and Miranda just look like a dime store version).

  • #30
    Junior Carrie Follower carriefan13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    493
    Concert Stars
    You know what? I don't give a **** about the awards anymore, they mean absolutely nothing. The only reason anybody tunes in anymore is for the awesome comedic stylings of our hosts

  • #31
    pgk
    pgk is offline
    Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,931
    It's amazingly disappointing to find that after 7 years some factions of the country industry is looking for ways to devalue the best artist to join the country milieu in the last 10 years. Now the word I hear in connection with Carrie is, 'interpretive'. It is the element that is being used, it seems, to exclude Carrie from some awards and nominations to an extent and given instead to people like Miranda and/or Taylor. Miranda appears to me, to be an extrovert by nature as is Taylor,which often leads to less inhibition and they use it to the hilt to address those songs that tug at the hearstrings. You know the songs. They're the ones that have garnered them the most attention, and have lead to multiple awards.
    Carrie on the other hand strikes me as an introvert and quite inhibited. This I believe limits her ability/willingness to emote especially in the touchy feelie songs (love songs, sad songs) and perhaps helps explain why Carrie doesn't do, or prefers not to do these types of songs. And as luck would have it, it's been those types of songs that the country industry voters are now focused on and see as award worthy.
    And so it would seem that Carrie's biggest strength, ie. her unmatchable vocals have been muted and her critics have found something (interpretation) they can use to make Carrie less of a contender in certain categories.
    Personally I prefer Carrie's style of emoting. It is poignant and subtle,which believe it or not, for me, makes it even more sensitive than a bucket full of tears.
    I've come to the conclusion that some country award voters just simply don't /can't do 'subtle'.

  • #32
    Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    2,984
    Quote Originally Posted by pklongbeach View Post
    For me it is a continuation of the tone that people have towards Carrie when you hear these insiders talk.
    This sounds and feels very much like that video sounded of insiders just causally talking about who and why.
    Carrie is so much less regarded by these people than you would think she should be considering how popular she is and how high ranking she is.
    And here, in the face of her putting out her best work to date, they still don't see her winning.
    Why?
    When the majority see Miranda as having put out her worst material to date and Carrie her best, and still they think Miranda will win, this tells you something about how people are thinking towards these women.
    Carries ability to sing seems to have no influence on her winning a singing award.
    Nor does her success seem to have an effect on her winning a popularity award.
    Nor does her influence seem to have an effect on winning an "insider" award.
    Ok, So what is it?
    What is Miranda doing? I just don't understand anymore!
    I have stayed quite since THTBM, cause clearly it effected people and put Miranda in a position of interest to voters.
    But since then, she has had one mediocre accomplishment after another. And if she was just in the catagory because she is among the top 3, than ok. But predicted to win amost unanimously???
    Why??
    What is she doing that is so "right" in the eyes of voters??
    What is Carrie missing that does not make it really clear that she is far more reaching in her talent and popularity and mainstream interest in the music industry?????
    I think there is a backlash.
    I think there are too many who are not paying attention to the actual work, and its actual success rate.
    I am just ranting, and it is nice to hear that across the board they all think Carrie is the one who has done enough to win (which is almost an insult to have to mention), but that they can come to that conclussion and still believe that the voters wont vote for her is a real problem.
    That really does point to something bigger going on than "who is the best at the craft".
    (and it is just my humble opinion, but coming of the major partnership of Tim and Faith, Blake and Miranda just look like a dime store version).
    I know I sound like a broken record but when it comes to talent Carrie is the obvious standout and I still believe many including these nobodies who vote are so envious that this is their only way to add relevance to their talentless existence. Please keep in mind that Carrie is the only reason I came to country music. Odd considering most my relatives are real hillbillies.

  • #33
    Carrie Guru pklongbeach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Long Beach, California
    Posts
    18,901
    Concert Stars
    Carrie is the only reason I even pay attention as well.

  • #34
    Carrie Guru pklongbeach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Long Beach, California
    Posts
    18,901
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by pgk View Post
    It's amazingly disappointing to find that after 7 years some factions of the country industry is looking for ways to devalue the best artist to join the country milieu in the last 10 years. Now the word I hear in connection with Carrie is, 'interpretive'. It is the element that is being used, it seems, to exclude Carrie from some awards and nominations to an extent and given instead to people like Miranda and/or Taylor. Miranda appears to me, to be an extrovert by nature as is Taylor,which often leads to less inhibition and they use it to the hilt to address those songs that tug at the hearstrings. You know the songs. They're the ones that have garnered them the most attention, and have lead to multiple awards.
    Carrie on the other hand strikes me as an introvert and quite inhibited. This I believe limits her ability/willingness to emote especially in the touchy feelie songs (love songs, sad songs) and perhaps helps explain why Carrie doesn't do, or prefers not to do these types of songs. And as luck would have it, it's been those types of songs that the country industry voters are now focused on and see as award worthy.
    And so it would seem that Carrie's biggest strength, ie. her unmatchable vocals have been muted and her critics have found something (interpretation) they can use to make Carrie less of a contender in certain categories.
    Personally I prefer Carrie's style of emoting. It is poignant and subtle,which believe it or not, for me, makes it even more sensitive than a bucket full of tears.
    I've come to the conclusion that some country award voters just simply don't /can't do 'subtle'.
    This in a big way!
    I will even admit that Carrie has sung some really big songs and reviewers and critics only pay attention to the fact that she is able to belt to the rafters.
    But if they were actually doing their jobs and paying attention, they would hear moments in songs like DFTRM ITYS TH (and other singles) that have amazing inperpretive abilities. It is her interpretive ability that wins her grammys. Not her big voice.
    I think because singers like Taylor and Miranda show the limits of their voices there is a sense of ernestness the leaks in and critics and listeners mistake that for emotion, when it is really just showing the limits of their vocal range.
    With Carrie, that limit is hardly seen except at the very top of her range which is of course when she is singing so big. So she has had to develope interpretive abilities that are purely technique (and Taylor or Miranda could not touch with a ten foot pole) when you hear her singing SYA: "Sometimes, I feel my, heart is, breaking, But I stay strong, and I hold on cause I know........"
    This is pure emotion, this is Carries voice in it's purest vulnerablity.
    But they don't pay attention to moments like that. Another example:
    TH: (final chorus)"I can see God's face,... this is my temporary home, its not where I belong, windows and rooms that Im passing through....."
    This is pure heartbreak and joy in the same moment.
    Taylor nor Miranda have that ability.
    The industry is just not paying attention.
    They are voting for reasons that are unrelated to Carries abilites, or Taylors abilities or Mriandas abilities.
    Or at least "comparitively".
    I almost wonder if these girls are getting the votes "because they manage to survive in an enviroment with someone as big as Carrie Underwood.
    that might actually be the reason they would vote for Miranda.
    Cause I can tell you will all clarily in the world.
    Track for track, based on everything that is available to know, nobody I know would ever give Miranda Lambert a singing award over Carrie Underwood!
    It's rediculous.

  • #35
    Carrie Guru pklongbeach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Long Beach, California
    Posts
    18,901
    Concert Stars
    Also, just for the record: This makes me think Carrie can actually pull off a win.
    Reason: IF that many people feel she "deserves it" there could be enough people voting with their gut to allow her to pull forward.
    Also there may be a split vote of people voting for TS cause of her overall accomplishments and Mrianda cause they still believe she is the "authentic country girl".
    This may allow Carrie to surge up the middle with a strong legitimate vote for the best material and growth of artist.

  • #36
    Ultimate Carrie Fan bigbluegrl23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    6,412
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by pklongbeach View Post
    For me it is a continuation of the tone that people have towards Carrie when you hear these insiders talk.
    This sounds and feels very much like that video sounded of insiders just causally talking about who and why.
    Carrie is so much less regarded by these people than you would think she should be considering how popular she is and how high ranking she is.
    And here, in the face of her putting out her best work to date, they still don't see her winning.
    Why?
    When the majority see Miranda as having put out her worst material to date and Carrie her best, and still they think Miranda will win, this tells you something about how people are thinking towards these women.
    Carries ability to sing seems to have no influence on her winning a singing award.
    Nor does her success seem to have an effect on her winning a popularity award.
    Nor does her influence seem to have an effect on winning an "insider" award.
    Ok, So what is it?
    What is Miranda doing? I just don't understand anymore!
    I have stayed quite since THTBM, cause clearly it effected people and put Miranda in a position of interest to voters.
    But since then, she has had one mediocre accomplishment after another. And if she was just in the catagory because she is among the top 3, than ok. But predicted to win amost unanimously???
    Why??
    What is she doing that is so "right" in the eyes of voters??
    What is Carrie missing that does not make it really clear that she is far more reaching in her talent and popularity and mainstream interest in the music industry?????
    I think there is a backlash.
    I think there are too many who are not paying attention to the actual work, and its actual success rate.
    I am just ranting, and it is nice to hear that across the board they all think Carrie is the one who has done enough to win (which is almost an insult to have to mention), but that they can come to that conclussion and still believe that the voters wont vote for her is a real problem.
    That really does point to something bigger going on than "who is the best at the craft".
    (and it is just my humble opinion, but coming of the major partnership of Tim and Faith, Blake and Miranda just look like a dime store version).
    besides THTBM, there is absolutely no other reason for Miranda to win. she shouldn't even have two female vocalist awards imo. if she wins this year, it won't mean jack ****. BA blows away everything miranda has released this year. when it comes to how people look back on an artist, it will be carrie. Miranda clearly needs the hype, Carrie has remained the top artist in country music and yet, she hasn't won an award in 3 years. that says something. its not all award hype.
    Becca

  • #37
    pgk
    pgk is offline
    Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,931
    Quote Originally Posted by pklongbeach View Post
    This in a big way!
    I will even admit that Carrie has sung some really big songs and reviewers and critics only pay attention to the fact that she is able to belt to the rafters.
    But if they were actually doing their jobs and paying attention, they would hear moments in songs like DFTRM ITYS TH (and other singles) that have amazing inperpretive abilities. It is her interpretive ability that wins her grammys. Not her big voice.
    I think because singers like Taylor and Miranda show the limits of their voices there is a sense of ernestness the leaks in and critics and listeners mistake that for emotion, when it is really just showing the limits of their vocal range.
    With Carrie, that limit is hardly seen except at the very top of her range which is of course when she is singing so big. So she has had to develope interpretive abilities that are purely technique (and Taylor or Miranda could not touch with a ten foot pole) when you hear her singing SYA: "Sometimes, I feel my, heart is, breaking, But I stay strong, and I hold on cause I know........"
    This is pure emotion, this is Carries voice in it's purest vulnerablity.
    But they don't pay attention to moments like that. Another example:
    TH: (final chorus)"I can see God's face,... this is my temporary home, its not where I belong, windows and rooms that Im passing through....."
    This is pure heartbreak and joy in the same moment.
    Taylor nor Miranda have that ability.
    The industry is just not paying attention.
    They are voting for reasons that are unrelated to Carries abilites, or Taylors abilities or Mriandas abilities.
    Or at least "comparitively".
    I almost wonder if these girls are getting the votes "because they manage to survive in an enviroment with someone as big as Carrie Underwood.
    that might actually be the reason they would vote for Miranda.
    Cause I can tell you will all clarily in the world.
    Track for track, based on everything that is available to know, nobody I know would ever give Miranda Lambert a singing award over Carrie Underwood!
    It's rediculous.
    YES! What you said! I can actually feel your passion and conviction.
    pklongbeach and rainbow1 like this.

  • #38
    Carrie Follower SodaFlop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    80
    Taylor has good years - she wins the awards with no artistic vision and pop music.
    Carrie has the best year since her debut and the top selling country album for any country artist of the year - may lose to Miranda.

    I truly don't get it.

  • #39
    Carrie Guru rainbow1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    15,373
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by pklongbeach View Post
    This in a big way!
    I will even admit that Carrie has sung some really big songs and reviewers and critics only pay attention to the fact that she is able to belt to the rafters.
    But if they were actually doing their jobs and paying attention, they would hear moments in songs like DFTRM ITYS TH (and other singles) that have amazing inperpretive abilities. It is her interpretive ability that wins her grammys. Not her big voice.
    I think because singers like Taylor and Miranda show the limits of their voices there is a sense of ernestness the leaks in and critics and listeners mistake that for emotion, when it is really just showing the limits of their vocal range.
    With Carrie, that limit is hardly seen except at the very top of her range which is of course when she is singing so big. So she has had to develope interpretive abilities that are purely technique (and Taylor or Miranda could not touch with a ten foot pole) when you hear her singing SYA: "Sometimes, I feel my, heart is, breaking, But I stay strong, and I hold on cause I know........"
    This is pure emotion, this is Carries voice in it's purest vulnerablity.
    But they don't pay attention to moments like that. Another example:
    TH: (final chorus)"I can see God's face,... this is my temporary home, its not where I belong, windows and rooms that Im passing through....."
    This is pure heartbreak and joy in the same moment.
    Taylor nor Miranda have that ability.
    The industry is just not paying attention.
    They are voting for reasons that are unrelated to Carries abilites, or Taylors abilities or Mriandas abilities.
    Or at least "comparitively".
    I almost wonder if these girls are getting the votes "because they manage to survive in an enviroment with someone as big as Carrie Underwood.
    that might actually be the reason they would vote for Miranda.
    Cause I can tell you will all clarily in the world.
    Track for track, based on everything that is available to know, nobody I know would ever give Miranda Lambert a singing award over Carrie Underwood!
    It's rediculous.
    I'm so glad you mentioned that line...Sometimes my heart is breaking.....That is my favorite line in the album!! I play SYA over and over, just to hear that line....she's soooo vulnerable there, and I've never heard anything more beautiful!!!!!!!!

  • #40
    Insane Carrie Fan Marie2011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    4,862
    Quote Originally Posted by SodaFlop View Post
    Taylor has good years - she wins the awards with no artistic vision and pop music.
    Carrie has the best year since her debut and the top selling country album for any country artist of the year - may lose to Miranda.

    I truly don't get it.
    i think it is because carrie chooses not to eat meat, and people use that against her thinking that she is anti-rodeo, anti-hunting, anti-fishing, etc.etc. even though she isn't
    teesharky likes this.


  •  
    Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. Country Universe: 2012 ACM Awards Staff Picks & Predictions
      By Claire2004 in forum Carrie Underwood Times
      Replies: 29
      Last Post: 04-02-2012, 03:20 PM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •