Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Review: Carrie Underwood at American Airlines Center (Dallas)

Review: Carrie Underwood at American Airlines Center (Dallas)

Last edited by gaycarebear; 10-25-2012 at 12:32 PM.

Concert Stars
    Underwood is, without question, one of her generation's most formidable vocalists - my favorite line

Concert Stars
    AT least it is thoughtful and engaging as a review. Not snotty and dismissive.
    I don't have a problem with those who want to try to look deep and find out what makes Carrie "carrie", but I hate it when they paint her with a broad brush as empty or shallow.
    Truth is, it is the depth of her that makes her seem hard and strong and removed at first.
    It calls you to look deeper to find the truth. I much perfer that.
    Someone, who shall remain nameless, who is willing to sell themselves cheap everynight and make you believe that you are their only fan in the world, is someone who id giving you a "show" a "shame". It's not real.
    I think Carrie intends to come out everynight and give her best. And allow you to have fun. Not suck up all the fun for herself.

Concert Stars
    ^^ And... "with that most potent of special effects, Underwood's voice."

Huge Carrie Follower
    Concert Stars
    I read his review of Madonna's concert to see how Carrie did. I think comparing the two reviews that he was very impressed with Carrie. He roasted the Material Girl and if his only real complaint was a disconnect, it isn not bad, i think Carrie trues valiantly but her shyness dies inhibit her somewhat. Each year she has grown so much as an artist. I like that he gives her kudos for singing live even when things don't always come out perfect. Even tho Madonna had canceled the previous day due to laryngitis and rescheduled, the reviewer commented on the difference between the live songs and the prerecorded ones she used. Overall, I think Carrie's review was glowing. I like that the reviewer hinted that he would like an album of traditional country, sounds as if he has become a fan.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    I like this review - he seemed to love her voice and the show
    but I somewhat disagree with the part about her being unapproachable. maybe he was referring to onstage ,idk, but every time I've met her she seemed very approachable, friendly , personable.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Concert Stars
    I have listened to alot of what Carrie has said in the past about who she is and what she brings to the table.
    And if you understand her better, it is much better to support her and uplift what she is great at.
    Most of these reviewers only know people like Reba, Dolly, Shania, Taylor.....on stage and Carrie is a decidedly different person.
    She has spoken many times of the fact that she feels uncomfortable "faking it". Wether it be actting or singing certain lyrics or jumpping around for joy, if it is not sincere she just feels silly doing it.
    That is a really improtant thing to know about her. IT helps to understand and interpret what you are seeing in her.
    So yeah, alot of people are going to miss the "truth" in what she does, cause they are used to being drug around by the nose by some of the wild shananigans you see these days.
    I thnk she has "improved" so much because she simply believes in her own self more. She is finally accepting that people enjoy her and she can enjoy herself in turn. Which of course means everyone selse can enjoy themselves even more.
    But at the end of the day, people come to hear her sing.
    And she is amazing.
    So I think the reviewer got it right. And I think they are only going to get better as they pay attention to her more.

Concert Stars
    Good review from a Texas paper especially as Carrie has never been a favorite of Texas critics.

While I disagree with the disconnect thing-- i am pleased he noticed marked inprovement in that area. That is all you can adk for of some tougher critics: notice improvement if there is some- and he did.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Another reviewer who didn't stay to the end of the show. He evidently left after BHC. Too bad because he missed an important and incredible part of the show. I guess people don't connect the name of the tour with her music. Come on everybody "The Blown Away Tour", but leave before she sings Blown Away. Another thing, but maybe he was kidding, his reference to American Idol as being a little singing contest somewhat annoyed me. Overall though a great review. Thanks for posting.
    Smokyiiis likes this.

Concert Stars
    That was sarcasm.
    IT was meant as a compliment that she won the biggest singing competition that this nation or the planet has!

Concert Stars
    ^^I am really amazed how few reviews actually mention the encore. Personally, I think the encore is epic! I think some people are too concerned about "beating the traffic" than seeing the end of the show. It certainly is a huge loss for them, imo.

I was always taught not to leave any show until the lights come on and you know that the show is over, whether it's a concert, movie, or at the theater. It's unfortunate for those who don't because they do not know what they are missing.

sco
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by maddkat View Post
    I like this review - he seemed to love her voice and the show
    but I somewhat disagree with the part about her being unapproachable. maybe he was referring to onstage ,idk, but every time I've met her she seemed very approachable, friendly , personable.
    I think he was talking about her stage presence as he may not have even met her personally. I was at the concert. It was a great show. What people say about not being able to understand just how talented she is without seeing her live is correct. The opening and the encore were the definite highlights of the show. There was a funny moment when one of the roadies hopped the railing on the floating stage just as it was taking off, presumably to fix something, then he was stuck. He sat in the corner trying to be unobtrusive until Carrie tossed a lei over his head. Having said that, I can understand where the reviewer was coming from. To me it's not that she doesn't connect with her material it's that she didn't have a lot of banter or personal interaction with the audience. I would have like to see her be a little more chatty. As far as the reviewer missing the encore, he was probably up against his deadline. I saw very few people leaving before the encore. I heard numerous comments of "It's the Blown Away tour and she hasn't done Blow Away. You know she'll be back"
    Smokyiiis and rainbow1 like this.

Carrie Guru Carrie_Rocks_The_House's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Great review

Concert Stars
    Sometimes I wonder what these critics want from her! Maybe it is the "chatty" thing..she's shy...we know that, but maybe they don't. She doesn't jump around like some...we know why...maybe they don't. I think Carrie's feelings run so deep...that sometimes she may try to cover them up...she might cry...we know that...maybe they don't. We know one thing for sure. Every single time...Carrie gives everything she's got!!!!

Concert Stars
    ^^ Chatter, yes that's nice, but not necessary, imo. Carrie sings over 20 songs. She loves singing and giving her fans what they came for. So, when you have someone sing like that, let her sing! I love watching the audience because you can pick out the first-timers! They are simply mesmerized and in awe, much like we are, but in a more animated way.
    liz278, Smokyiiis, maddkat and 2 others like this.

sco
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Gator View Post
    ^^ Chatter, yes that's nice, but not necessary, imo. Carrie sings over 20 songs. She loves singing and giving her fans what they came for. So, when you have someone sing like that, let her sing! I love watching the audience because you can pick out the first-timers! They are simply mesmerized and in awe, much like we are, but in a more animated way.
    I was a first timer last night and I agree listening to her was pretty mesmerizing. It's kind of pointless for a reporter to write a review that just says everything is wonderful. If there's things he thought could have been better then he absolutely should point them out. Overall he loved the show and appreciated all the things she did right. As did I. My husband isn't a particular fan of country music or of Carrie and he loved the show as well.

Junior Carrie Follower northtexas's Avatar

Review: Carrie Underwood at American Airlines Center - Dallas

Dallas - Review: Carrie Underwood at American Airlines Center | Star-Telegram.com

By Preston Jones
    pjones@dfw.com
    Posted 9:03am on Thursday, Oct. 25, 2012Dallas Who is Carrie Underwood?
    Is she, as she sang during her opener Wednesday night at American Airlines Center, a Good Girl? Is she given to flights of vengeful violence, as in her show closing Before He Cheats? Is she the model of piety, as suggested in her mid-set tune Temporary Home? Or does she fall somewhere in between?
    Searching for the answer is tricky because among the 29-year-old Underwood's many gifts includes an easygoing remove, a charm that endears even as it isolates. She wears her beatific smile like a suit of armor. Some of that distance is due to her astronomical success -- few could scale the heights she has (practically every industry accolade you can name; more than 15 million albums sold; winning a little singing contest called American Idol) and remain an approachable figure. She is, simply, part of the 21st century pantheon, a country artist on a single-name basis, like Reba, George or Garth.
    Yet, Underwood, who has become a confident, polished performer in the years since winning Idol in 2005, deftly provides the illusion of intimacy, making sure to wave at the fans gathered near the foot of the immense stage, offering anecdotes about her journey to stardom and peppering her set with "How's everybody doing?" banter. ("Dance, sing -- do what you've gotta do," Underwood instructed the rapt, nearly sold-out audience at one point.)
    It's deceptively disarming, and helps make a precisely choreographed show loaded with bells and whistles (at one point, the front piece of Underwood's stage lifted up and away, suspended by cables and floating several feet above the heads of the crowd) feel grounded.
    Backed by an eight-piece band and a small forest of restless video screens, Underwood pulled from all phases of her career, including her most recent LP, Blown Away. The briskly paced, faintly Wizard of Oz-themed two-hour set blended the aforementioned gee-whiz technology with that most potent of special effects, Underwood's voice.
    She remains a top touring artist who, blessedly, sings her songs live, embracing the small hiccups and momentary flaws that can color the human voice. Underwood is, without question, one of her generation's most formidable vocalists, capable of making Randy Travis's I Told You So a tender, breathtaking moment (hey, Carrie -- given any thought to an album of classic country sides?) or stumbling on a classic rock warhorse (Sweet Emotion was an enthusiastic misfire).
    But without a personality to connect to that voice, Underwood's songs end up being empty, glittering hits. She is better than she used to be at conveying the guts of a song, yet the desire to really feel as though Underwood is connecting with the material, the fans and her meteoric rise to country's front ranks never abates. She professed her love of songwriting midway through her set Wednesday night, and perhaps, in time, she'll surprise us all with a sensitively rendered, genuinely considered record of material aimed at letting her fans inside, just a little.
    Until then, Underwood remains a woman of many guises, all of them appealing to different demographics. Who is Carrie Underwood? She is, for now, an unknowable superstar.

PHOTOS: http://www.dfw.com/2012/10/25/701804...rylink=skyline

Concert Stars
    don't like this one much...

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    If whoever Preston Jones is didn't leave happy, it DOES NOT matter because the fans did.

Obsessed Carrie Fan Carrie&Taylor's Avatar
    Isn't there always two reviews from Texas? One bad and one good? That's how it was for Play On tour I think.

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast