Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Daraebe
  • 1 Post By Jae
  • 1 Post By Farawayhills
  • 1 Post By Farawayhills
  • 1 Post By opry051008

Thread: 'Telescope' Song Review (Carrie Mention)

Jae
    Junior Carrie Follower

'Telescope' Song Review (Carrie Mention)

I don't know if this review is elsewhere but since it mentions Carrie I thought I'd post it here. I don't read Taste of Country much and it's writing like this that reminds why -- dragging Carrie's name into it without checking the facts. Did Billy Dukes just make this up? That Hayden's Nashville character was based on Carrie? What a sloppy, unprofessional review.

As a side note I also find it odd that he would criticize the song's lyrics as forgettable TV show fodder when it's written by two of Nashville's best and most successful songwriters -- Hillary Lindsay and Carey Barlowe.

‘Nashville’ Star Hayden Panettiere (as Juliette Barnes), ‘Telescope’ – Song Review

Quote Originally Posted by Jae View Post
    I don't know if this review is elsewhere but since it mentions Carrie I thought I'd post it here. I don't read Taste of Country much and it's writing like this that reminds why -- dragging Carrie's name into it without checking the facts. Did Billy Dukes just make this up? That Hayden's Nashville character was based on Carrie? What a sloppy, unprofessional review.

As a side note I also find it odd that he would criticize the song's lyrics as forgettable TV show fodder when it's written by two of Nashville's best and most successful songwriters -- Hillary Lindsay and Carey Barlowe.

‘Nashville’ Star Hayden Panettiere (as Juliette Barnes), ‘Telescope’ – Song Review

Nope, Hayden has expressed herself that the Character in regards to the stage presence and stuff is modeled after Carrie. He had his facts straight on that part
    supercarriefan likes this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    sounds like a fair review to me
    he could have mentioned that part of the character was based on Carrie and not made that blanket statement but other then that,well and saying Panettierre can actually sing with the big girls, I don't see a problem with it

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jae
    Junior Carrie Follower
    Quote Originally Posted by Daraebe View Post
    Nope, Hayden has expressed herself that the Character in regards to the stage presence and stuff is modeled after Carrie. He had his facts straight on that part
    I've read Hayden's praise of Carrie's stage presence but this review is implying that it's Hayden's character -- of which the inability to sing without Autotune, the diva behavior and alley cat libido, are all apart -- is modeled after Carrie. So no, Juliette Barnes is not based on Carrie.
    pklongbeach likes this.

Concert Stars
    I don't know if the idea of the show and writers had Carrie in mind when they conceived the idea but Hayden has mentioned she has taken some of Carrie's stage prescence - the ability to draw people in with a song to model herself after but I don't see how the other parts of the role would be modeled after Carrie

Jae
    Junior Carrie Follower
    As an aside, I think one of the problems I have with Nashville (although I am still enjoying it) is that they are asking me to believe that Rayna James is a songbird with Reba-like achievements and a legendary status and Juliette Barnes is... well, the total opposite. However, Hayden has the far superior voice to Connie Britton and the one song we've heard from Rayna is no better than the two songs we've heard from Juliette. I think the showrunners dropped the ball on that plot point. That's a lot of disbelief to suspend.

Ultimate Carrie Fan supercarriefan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    I don't find the criticism on this song unwarranted at all. I couldn't see the current women of country singing this. The lyrics are a little clunky. The beat is great, though. Hillary Lindsey and Cary Barlowe have written much better songs than this one. The "my eyes are like a telescope" line makes me cringe. Just because the writers attached to this song have proven themselves to be great doesn't mean they aren't capable of writing less than stellar material from time to time lol.

On the Carrie mention, as Daraebe pointed out, Hayden has said she was personally inspired by Carrie for certain aspects of the role. The review above even links to an article with Hayden's quotes on the topic.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    I think what Hayden Pannetiere said was that she tried to model the visual part of her performance role on Carrie's stage presence - and she said that within the context of admiration for Carrie as a performance artist.

I haven't seen the show, but from what I've heard it's partly written from a perspective of casting a critical light on some of Nashville's business practices. This means that part of the character roles will be shown in an less sympathetic light - it's meant be a dramatic work of fiction, not an uncritical celebration of the "star" system. In a big screen feature a couple of years ago, for example, Gwynneth Paltrow played a Country singer, and used Carrie Hassler's song "Country Strong". That didn't mean that her character role was written or acted as a literal portrayal of Carrie Hassler. I don't think people will think Hayden Pannetiere's portrayal will be intended as a literal representation of Carrie Underwood either. If anything, it's more likely to be the promotion and production side of the music business that is criticized.

I think it's mainly a good review of the song. It stresses that it's very catchy and danceable - and fits the show. The point about the lyrics is to stress that, although this is a Hillary Lindsey/Cary Barlowe song, it isn't one that a major artist (such as Carrie) would be likely to take up as an album cut. That's just the writers opinion - but I don't read it as a particularly dismissive one. He's saying that it's suitable for a TV show, and for an actress launching a relatively untried singing career - which (if he's right) just shows that the writers are versatile enough to write for different purposes.
    rainbow1 likes this.

Concert Stars
    There is a big difference between an actress using a person as a personal point of reference when creting a perforamance. And the writers of a show developing a charactor who is a specific "type".
    This actress may be channeling her "inner Carrie" when she is developing her performances, but the writers creating actions and plot and siolog will be the ones to win here.
    I would hope to God no one sees Carrie Underwood in this charactor. That would be an insult to Carrie.
    Why would anybody (but the actresss who is trying to create some depth for her performance) ever wnat to see Carrie in a charactor that is writen to be so negative.

As I said, I've haven't seen it - but if the character is very unsympathetic, it might have been better if Hayden hadn't referred to any actual singer at all - but I do think she meant to be complementary to Carrie, as someone with a strong stage presence.
    pklongbeach likes this.

Insane Carrie Fan utlovescarrie's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    I didn't like the song at on and might be coming to the conclusion that I don't like Nashville much either. One more episode and if I don't like it then it is coming off my DVR.

Carrie Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    As I said, I've haven't seen it - but if the character is very unsympathetic, it might have been better if Hayden hadn't referred to any actual singer at all - but I do think she meant to be complementary to Carrie, as someone with a strong stage presence.
    It doesn't matter about the article. No one watching the show will even associate Carrie with Hayden's character. The character actually has more similarities to Taylor than Carrie however when watching the show, one wouldn't think that it's about Taylor either.
    Farawayhills likes this.

Concert Stars
    ^^ hmm I have never seen the show...not a bad review though!

There's an unrelated point in the Billy Dukes article that seems to confuse the two Billboard charts (already widely discussed elsewhere). In this article he says:

"With Billboard’s new chart methodology, the song could be a country radio hit before it receives any airplay from country radio"

And in the article he links to, he previously said:

"Billboard announced that starting Thursday (Oct. 11), its country airplay charts would no longer be based solely on country radio airplay"

Both these comments appear to misunderstand the difference between the Country Airplay Chart (which doesn't seem to have been altered) and the Hot Country Songs Chart (which is the controversially revamped one)
    Hayden will only have a Country Radio Hit if she does get Country Radio play (as she probably will) - the Airplay Chart still focuses on the Country reporting stations.
    His remark really applies to the Hot Country Songs Chart - where she could, theoretically, get a Hot Country Song hit without specific Country airplay (though I think that's unlikely to happen.)

I think this point is rather more than hair-splitting, because - if Country reporters want to maintain the distinct value of the Country Airplay chart (as, for example, several internet posts about Carrie's current run at number one have been doing) - it shouldn't be mixed up with the controversial methodology used in the other chart.

•