Like Tree26Likes
  • 13 Post By Daraebe
  • 7 Post By pklongbeach
  • 3 Post By liz278
  • 1 Post By countryfan2006
  • 2 Post By Jae

Thread: Carrie Underwood brings Nashville to Power Balance Pavilion

Carrie Underwood brings Nashville to Power Balance Pavilion

Saturday night Power Balance Pavilion hosted country superstar Carrie Underwood and “The Blown Away Tour,” complete with singer and songwriter, Hunter Hayes. The tour is based around Underwood’s fourth album, “Blown Away,” released earlier this year.

The mostly-female crowd was dressed and ready for a country night out in Nashville - cowboy hats and boots and all.

“Is that the line to the women’s!?” I overheard one woman exclaim, “Mother of pearl!”

The merrymaking and revelry was pure entertainment for all involved.

Underwood won the hearts of many, waving and chatting throughout the show despite her slightly hoarse-sounding voice. She gave a shout out to “American Idol,” saying that she would always be thankful for the show and all it has helped her to achieve.

She sang her classics one after another, to the delight of the crowd. Fan favorites were those that most pulled the emotional heartstrings, “I Told You So,” “I Know You Won’t” and “Jesus, Take the Wheel.”

Of course her more feminist songs certainly riled the crowd as well. “Before He Cheats,” in particular, was one that everyone was waiting for. Throughout the bulk of her repertoire, it seemed that Underwood was giving lessons on life. Love, men, wasting your life away, home, even one-night stands; she touched on them all.

After witnessing the passion with which she sings, you might just consider going home, quitting your job and doing something you love.
    Sacramento Press / Carrie Underwood brings Nashville to Power Balance Pavilion

Concert Stars
    Wow, what a womderful compliment:
    "After witnessing the passion with which she sings, you might consider going home quiting your job and "doing something that you love".
    Indeed!

Concert Stars
    I think Liz went to this one. Wonder if she noticed any hoarseness?? Great review!!

Concert Stars
    Nice review! Hopefully Carrie is not getting sick as she has the big Staples Center show tomorrow-- and those critics will be merciless as they are not her biggest fans.. (ie- LA Times, Hollywood Reporter, etc).

Concert Stars
    Ha ha, they may like the hoarseness.
    It'll give her LA street cred.
    People love to mistake hoarseness for "earnestness" and "artsy"

Great review! Thanks for posting Daraebe!

Concert Stars
    wonderful review!

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow1 View Post
    I think Liz went to this one. Wonder if she noticed any hoarseness?? Great review!!
    I didn't notice any hoarseness, and I talked with her before the show and didn't notice it then either. So I don't know what he was talking about.
    judes, opry051008 and robinannhunt like this.

Carrie Guru Carrie_Rocks_The_House's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Great review

Carrie Fans Legend countryfan2006's Avatar
    Thanks for posting, nice review.
    Countryfan2448 likes this.

Jae
    Junior Carrie Follower
    I was at this show and I can affirm that she was not hoarse. In fact, Carrie was in fine voice that night. However, the sound mix was problematic. I was late so Hunter Hayes was already mid-song when I sat down and I noticed it immediately. The instruments were not only drowning out the vocals but the treble was up way too high. My immediate thought was that I hoped the EQ was better for Carrie. It wasn't. The highs were so cranked that Carrie's voice had a tin-y, Mini Mouse quality to it. The instruments were the same, especially the violins and crash cymbals (the classic signifier of a poorly adjusted mix) -- they were sharp and scratchy.
    The only time the mix didn't drive me nuts was during the "fly-over" set and when there weren't many instruments in play -- like the beginning of I Know You Won't. When the music swelled and the whole band kicked in, forget it, even Carrie's biggest notes were blown out. I tried to ignore it but it was distracting and made for a less than perfect show, unfortunately.

I was really happy to be there so I tried to focus on the positive. It was a lively show, Carrie looked great and her voice was strong and easy. And I will say this, as much of a sourpuss as I've been about One Way Ticket -- it's really great in a live concert setting, I'll give it that. I got these tickets from a work related source so I had some of my colleagues with me who hate the song as much as I do but damned if we weren't all singing along to it and waving our hands in the air. LOL Carrie has that effect on people.

Anyway, it's unlikely that the reviewer has a trained musical ear so what he/she may have heard as "hoarse" may have, in actuality, been the EQ issues.
    opry051008 and robinannhunt like this.

•