• 3 Post By maddkat
  • 3 Post By maddkat
  • 4 Post By Farawayhills
  • 3 Post By cary78663
  • 3 Post By bearball49

Thread: Darius Rucker Opry Induction and Thoughts On Other Recent Members

Darius Rucker Opry Induction and Thoughts On Other Recent Members

Darius Rucker Opry Induction and Thoughts On Other Recent Members

This Tuesday Night, Darius Rucker will become the newest member of the Grand Ole Opry. I thought that this would be a good time to take a look back at the Opry members who have joined the cast since Pete Fisher became the Opry's general manager in June 1999.

Counting Darius Rucker, there are now 68 Opry members. Of those 68, 5 are either retired or not able to perform at this time and those include Jack Greene, Hal Ketchum, Barbara Mandrell, Jeanne Pruett and Ricky Van Shelton. Of the 68 Opry members, 18 became members since Pete Fisher took over the operations of the Opry. Those artists, with their inductions dates are Ralph Stanley (1-15-00), Pam Tillis (8-26-00), Brad Paisley (2-17-01), Trace Adkins (8-23-03), Del McCoury (10-25-03), Terri Clark (6-24-04), Dierks Bentley (10-1-05), Mel Tillis (6-9-07), Josh Turner (10-27-07), Charlie Daniels (1-19-08), Carrie Underwood (5-10-08), Craig Morgan (10-25-08), Montgomery Gentry (6-23-09), Blake Shelton (10-22-10), Oak Ridge Boys (8-6-11), Rascal Flatts (10-8-11), Keith Urban (4-21-12) and Darius Rucker (10-16-12).
    Complete Article: Fayfare's Opry Blog: Darius Rucker Opry Induction and Thoughts On Other Recent Members

Concert Stars
    Congrats to Darius!
    I wonder if he included special Opry nights in the tally, like the night they recorded How Great Thou Art or Christmas specials for Carrie Carrie does alot fo PR for the Opry as she had a set of the Opry on her last tour when she did I Told You So - how many artists ever did that? Probably only 1 - Carrie !! Carrie has done alot for the Opry on other levels than just appearances

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    I kinda wonder if the Carrie totals are correct? Sure seems like to me that Carrie has taken her commitment to the Opry very seriously and she's there more than the other recent additions. Seems to me that there have been several occasions when they've added a second show to the Saturday nights when she's there.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    ^ all the double shows are counted separately as two shows. Carrie's totals are correct ,Glenn has thread over at the FC dedicated to them.

I just can't believe Blake hasn't appeared once this year.Why did he accept membership?
    Gator, opry051008 and liz278 like this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by maddkat View Post
    ^ all the double shows are counted separately as two shows. Carrie's totals are correct ,Glenn has thread over at the FC dedicated to them.

I just can't believe Blake hasn't appeared once this year.Why did he accept membership?
    It's part of the 'empire' building!!! That is kinda terrible if you ask me. You wonder what he tells them when he's asked if he can come and do a couple of shows? Seems to me if you can't keep that commitment to the Opry, then you shouldn't be able to say that in your PR packet!!!

Ultimate Carrie Fan

And thanks for setting me straight, Donna. I know I'm proud of Carrie for how seriously she takes her commitment to the Opry. And I'm sure the Opry is glad she does as well. Seems to me every time she's there they have sellouts and standing room only!!!

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by DaisyTweets View Post
    And thanks for setting me straight, Donna. I know I'm proud of Carrie for how seriously she takes her commitment to the Opry. And I'm sure the Opry is glad she does as well. Seems to me every time she's there they have sellouts and standing room only!!!

Carrie has appeared at the Opry on 36 dates since she came off Idol ( including the HGTA taping) not sure how many of those dates were two shows.And she does fill the house. There's always a buzz that starts when her time on stage nears.You can feel it.

Carrie's commitment to the Opry is to be commended and copied by future members. She's as busy as a bee,especially this year, and still finds the time to appear.
    Gator, liz278 and glenn7 like this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Concert Stars
    If the Opry is the official "castle" of country music, where is the supposed newly crowned "queen"?

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    I think as late as the '60s, members were expected to appear 26 times a year, for a token payment of under $50 a show - others did appear as guests, but with that kind of commitment, membership was heavily skewed towards Roots artists based within easy reach of Nashville.
    Later, the formal commitment rules were relaxed, and touring artists with national reputations were made members - but as the article says - the relaxation of commitment sometimes went too far. The present management seems to have done a good job of attracting artists from most branches of Country Music.

Carrie was an inspired choice both in terms of the contemporary appeal she brings in, and in terms of the loyalty she shows. As Bill Anderson says, she could appear on any stage in the world for much more money - but she keeps coming back. The Opry were the first Nashville organization to give her a guest invitation (about a fortnight after her national breakthrough) - and they've been arguably the main one to give her consistent support. She in turn gives them a strong emotional commitment - it's a mutual bond which remains relatively unusual among contemporary headline stars.
    liz278, Gator, Claire2004 and 1 others like this.

Obsessed Chart Watcher cary78663's Avatar

To be far to Blake, he accepted in Sept 2010. The Voice didn't start airing until Apr 2011. So even if he had already committed to the show at the time of the invite, he couldn't have known how big it would be or the amount of his time it would consume. That being said, he certainly could have made the effort to do at least a few shows.

On a general note, these numbers are why Bill Anderson always comments on his astonishment at how often Carrie plays the Opry when he introduces her and also in at least one interview. Though Carrie is one of the busiest artists on their roster, she has done more shows this year than any other artist added to the roster in the last 12 years outside of Craig Morgan (who has done one more show than Carrie this year) and Del McCoury (who obviously has a much lighter schedule outside of the Opry than most of the others).

Huge Carrie Follower
    Concert Stars
    I noticed the only year her numbers were down was 2010 and not only was she touring like crazy, she got married. I think they do appreciate her. In spite of Blake doing the Voice, you can not tell me he could not have made time for some appearances at the Opry if it meant anything at all to him. Was really disappointed to see Reba, Dolly, Garth and Trisha do not make appearances. If your biggest stars only give lip service to supporting the Opry, it is going to be a struggle to keep it going. As far as TS, there is a reason she is not part of Opry, you have to be invited.....if that ever happens, you can hang up your hat and boots because the Opry will be on its last leg.
    Gator, opry051008 and glenn7 like this.

Carrie Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by bearball49 View Post
    I noticed the only year her numbers were down was 2010 and not only was she touring like crazy, she got married. I think they do appreciate her. In spite of Blake doing the Voice, you can not tell me he could not have made time for some appearances at the Opry if it meant anything at all to him. Was really disappointed to see Reba, Dolly, Garth and Trisha do not make appearances. If your biggest stars only give lip service to supporting the Opry, it is going to be a struggle to keep it going. As far as TS, there is a reason she is not part of Opry, you have to be invited.....if that ever happens, you can hang up your hat and boots because the Opry will be on its last leg.
    Yeah, I always thought that it was odd that Garth would tell her it's the thing she would treasure the most when he rarely ever shows up there. But he does show up in Vegas for over $200 a ticket.

Concert Stars
    Congrats Darius!

Concert Stars
    I am so proud of Carrie, I think when she did the interview with Oprah, one of the things people say about Carrie is that she keeps her committments so I know that this is one that she treasures above all the other awards she has received.

Carrie Guru Carrie_Rocks_The_House's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    That is so cool that Darius is being inducted into to Grand Ole Opry he hasn't been in the country for a while like Carrie congrats to him for sure

•