Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree114Likes

Thread: Taste of Country: Fans Start Petition

Junior Carrie Follower northtexas's Avatar

Taste of Country: Fans Start Petition

Fans Start Petition to Reverse Billboard’s New Multi-Format Chart Methodology

http://tasteofcountry.com/billboard-chart-changes/

By: Billy Dukes | 1 hour ago

Country fans angry with Billboard’s new chart computing methodology have begun an online petition to convince the publication to change its mind. A post at Change.org argues that the changes announced this week favor artists with crossover success (Taylor Swift, Lady Antebellum), while making it even more difficult to break a new artist.
    Billboard announced that starting Thursday (Oct. 11), its country airplay charts would no longer be based solely on country radio airplay (R&B/Hip-hop and Latin music charts were also affected). Instead, the chart would include airplay on other formats, as well as streaming sites like Spotify, plus digital sales data in determining the rankings.
    For those who don’t quite understand how the country singles charts work (or used to work, in the case of Billboard), this article explains it fairly well. The effects of the changes were immediate. Swift, who has been releasing new songs leading up to the release of her new album, now has the No. 1 and No. 2 song in country music with ‘We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together’ and ‘Red’ respectively. The latter has not been released to radio.
    Jason Scott’s online petition quotes an opinion piece written by Kevin John Coyne at Country Universe. His argument against the changes reflects what many country fans who oppose the move believe:
    “Despite all the new methods of delivery, country music’s primary method of distribution remains the radio. It may be the only thing left that is identifiably “country” in mainstream music. The vast majority of country artists do not pursue the pop market in lieu of the country market. At most, they pursue pop as well as country, but usually wait until the song’s a hit at their home format first.”
    Bill Werde, the Editorial Director at Billboard, addressed some of the criticism on Thursday, saying the new methodology reflects the modern music model more accurately:
    “Basing the primary chart on radio play only feels out of touch with what’s actually happening with music. The fans have no direct voice with radio. It’s a push format — someone else decides what you’re going to listen to, and with what frequency. Are those of you upset about this rule change suggesting that what fans are streaming on Spotify or buying at iTunes shouldn’t count? Fans have the power today — more than they have ever had in the history of the recorded music business — and these chart changes honor that reality, above all else.”
    The petition had 62 supporters as of 4:30PM ET on Friday (Oct. 12). It says it needs 38 more, although it’s not clear what will happen when it gets 100 supporters. There is no indication from Billboard that another change is being considered or will be considered despite the protest.
    View the full Billboard country chart here and the Mediabase chart (the other major chart service, one which relies solely on country radio airplay) here.

OMG THAT'S ME! o.O

Quote Originally Posted by gaycarebear View Post
    omg that's me! O.o
    loooooooooooooooooooooool

Junior Carrie Follower northtexas's Avatar
    OMG THAT'S ME! o.O
    Power to the people!!!
    gaycarebear likes this.

Concert Stars
    I tweeted the ToC article. I hope more people see the petition and sign it.
    gaycarebear and Pi314CA like this.

Btw, I started a Facebook page for the #SaveCountryMusic campaign. I will be keeping track of all industry response as they develop

https://www.facebook.com/pages/SaveC...72046532815630

Obsessed Carrie Fan Schrodinger's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Btw, I started a Facebook page for the #SaveCountryMusic campaign. I will be keeping track of all industry response as they develop

https://www.facebook.com/pages/SaveC...72046532815630
    Great, by the time I got home last night I was knackered plus taking the ativan to calm me down. Great that you are so on top of it.
    Smokyiiis and gaycarebear like this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by northtexas View Post

By: Billy Dukes | 1 hour ago

Country fans angry with Billboard’s new chart computing methodology have begun an online petition to convince the publication to change its mind. A post at Change.org argues that the changes announced this week favor artists with crossover success (Taylor Swift, Lady Antebellum), while making it even more difficult to break a new artist.
    Billboard announced that starting Thursday (Oct. 11), its country airplay charts would no longer be based solely on country radio airplay (R&B/Hip-hop and Latin music charts were also affected). Instead, the chart would include airplay on other formats, as well as streaming sites like Spotify, plus digital sales data in determining the rankings.
    For those who don’t quite understand how the country singles charts work (or used to work, in the case of Billboard), this article explains it fairly well. The effects of the changes were immediate. Swift, who has been releasing new songs leading up to the release of her new album, now has the No. 1 and No. 2 song in country music with ‘We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together’ and ‘Red’ respectively. The latter has not been released to radio.
    Jason Scott’s online petition quotes an opinion piece written by Kevin John Coyne at Country Universe. His argument against the changes reflects what many country fans who oppose the move believe:
    “Despite all the new methods of delivery, country music’s primary method of distribution remains the radio. It may be the only thing left that is identifiably “country” in mainstream music. The vast majority of country artists do not pursue the pop market in lieu of the country market. At most, they pursue pop as well as country, but usually wait until the song’s a hit at their home format first.”
    Bill Werde, the Editorial Director at Billboard, addressed some of the criticism on Thursday, saying the new methodology reflects the modern music model more accurately:
    “Basing the primary chart on radio play only feels out of touch with what’s actually happening with music. The fans have no direct voice with radio. It’s a push format — someone else decides what you’re going to listen to, and with what frequency. Are those of you upset about this rule change suggesting that what fans are streaming on Spotify or buying at iTunes shouldn’t count? Fans have the power today — more than they have ever had in the history of the recorded music business — and these chart changes honor that reality, above all else.”
    The petition had 62 supporters as of 4:30PM ET on Friday (Oct. 12). It says it needs 38 more, although it’s not clear what will happen when it gets 100 supporters. There is no indication from Billboard that another change is being considered or will be considered despite the protest.
    View the full Billboard country chart here and the Mediabase chart (the other major chart service, one which relies solely on country radio airplay) here.
    I don't have a problem w/ them including the streaming on Spotify or buying at Itunes as imo that shows the popularity of the song, which I'm all for. The only issues I have is the part about counting other airplay formats as well. Imo if the song is just a smash hit and popular and crosses over on it's own then I will be more than happy for that airplay to be counted towards an artist's number 1 as it would be a natural progression and would show it was a well liked song but if it is to the point where the song has to be remixed, watered down, or changed to fit on other formats or to try to get it airplay or a push on other formats then that is the issue I have w/ them counting the other genre airplay or other formats.
    Last edited by Jade_kt; 10-12-2012 at 07:11 PM.
    gaycarebear and liz278 like this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Jade_kt View Post
    I don't have a problem w/ them including the streaming on Spotify or buying at Itunes as imo that shows the popularity of the song, which I'm all for. The only issues I have is the part about counting other airplay formats as well. Imo if the song is just a smash hit and popular and crosses over on it's own then great and I will be more than happy for that airplay to be counted towards an artist's number 1 as it was a natural progression but if it is to the point where the song has to be remixed or changed to fit on other formats or to try to get it airplay on or a push on other formats then that is the issue I have w/ them counting the other genre airplay or other formats.
    I have two more issues:

1. A song should be required to have a certain minimum airplay before it charts on these genre-specific charts.
    2. A song should be required to have a primary (main) genre. If it crosses over, that's fine. But have the label/artist designate the genre prior to its release.
    bearball49 and DizzyDollyDee like this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Pi314CA View Post
    I have two more issues:

1. A song should be required to have a certain minimum airplay before it charts on these genre-specific charts.
    2. A song should be required to have a primary (main) genre. If it crosses over, that's fine. But have the label/artist designate the genre prior to its release.

I agree. Can you picture an Alan Jackson song being played on a pop radio station in it's original format? Unless it's just a super dupper smash hit song, I highly doubt it unless it's just remixed to hell....lol. It would take alot of remixing to hide his country twang...lol. Carrie at least has a better chance at fitting in on other formats if she wanted to get airplay from other genres or other formats as she seems more versatile to sing other genre of music. To me, this would affect the other country artists/singers more than Carrie, especially the ones w/ more twang to their voice.

Concert Stars
    Awesome news that your petition got picked up!! Yay!!
    gaycarebear likes this.

Where is that petition?? I want join

Quote Originally Posted by simonplay View Post
    Where is that petition?? I want join
    Here it is: http://www.change.org/petitions/bill...-country-songs
    simonplay likes this.

Signed!
    gaycarebear likes this.

Huge Carrie Follower
    signed
    gaycarebear likes this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Look at Jason making waves.

Jason, if Billboard starts sending you busted up Carrie cd's, we all got your back.

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    Signed.

Concert Stars
    wow...will sign!

Obsessed Carrie Fan conorlovescarrie:)'s Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Signed!

Obsessed Carrie Fan Schrodinger's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Make sure you hit the share button you can share with your FB friends - I have it on my wall as well and Tweeted the link. The more signatures the more people take notice. Since the petition refers to country songs I'm not sure how many of the Rap, R&B, etc folks we can get to sign, but any will help. We need to mobilize all of Carrie's followers to sign and it will spread to other fan bases too. Anybody a known Reba fan. She should be tweeted, maybe mention how this hits Blake and Miranda. The more I think about the more I think we need to push the momentum. If the petition is going great guns when the real backlash starts it could be huge.

•  
    Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast