Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree122Likes

Thread: REVIEW: Country Superstar Carrie Underwood Wows Crowd at Scotiabank Saddledome

REVIEW: Country Superstar Carrie Underwood Wows Crowd at Scotiabank Saddledome

Country superstar Carrie Underwood wows crowd at Scotiabank Saddledome on Blown Away World Tour | Music | Entertainment | Calgary Sun

Carrie Underwood has made it work — and she’s made it last.

Say what you will about the American Idol model which has begat far more forgettable than memorable artists through the years. But the Season 4 winner has extended her pop-country shelf life through nearly a decade, four albums, a string of hit singles and an equal number of respectable-selling arena tours including the current Blown Away World Tour.

It was never about appealing to country music purists, and the 29-year-old native Oklahoman certainly puts the “show” in showbiz pop-country.

Dwarfed by a massive stage production and a lighting and video rig that would impress Iron Maiden’s lighting director, Underwood has grown into her role as a country superstar for the times.

Dressed in a stunning, sexy blue sparkly gown … thingy (just one of many outfits during the evening), Underwood rose from a platform beneath the stage, through the front door of a modest makeshift bungalow and unleashed her booming voice through set opener Good Girl, which quickly segued into Undo It and Wasted to thunderous applause from the gathered masses — a near sell-out.

Although heavy on clichés, cheese and a healthy dose of schmaltz, Underwood speaks to her fans in ways that most artists would kill to duplicate — forget about what you think you know about appealing to the lowest common denominator. The first taste of actual country music in the form of I Told You So, as well as Two Black Cadillacs, Last Name and All America Girl merely set the table for a tender version of Temporary Home and Jesus Take The Wheel, which earned the biggest cheers of the night up to that point.

Relying on the over-the-top and super slick production, and a snappy pace (perfect for those with short attention spans), Underwood gave her fans, well, exactly what they had paid for through Get Out Of This Town, Nobody Ever Told You and Crazy Dreams.

Reaching into the KISS bag of stage gags, Underwood and part of her eight-piece band even undertook an aerial tour of the Saddledome on levitating mini stage while performing One Way Ticket.

Finishing her main set with an eye-rolling cover of Aerosmith’s Sweet Emotion, as well as Remind Me and the show-stopping monster hit, Before He Cheats, Underwood sent them to the exits satisfied — and then some.

Opening the show was 21-year-old rising star Hunter Hayes. The Breaux Bride, LA, native is riding a wave of early success with his hit single Wanted, but he showed some panache through a tight, crisp and rather enjoyable 45-minute set.

If crowd reaction to songs such as Somebody’s Heartbreak, Love Makes Me and Everybody’s Got Somebody But Me are anything to go by, this kid is the future of this music.

Earlier, fans got a taste of 19-year-old Ottawa songstress Kira Isabella.

Her Sony Music Canada debut, Love Me Like That, was just released on Tuesday and if she had any early tour jitters, the spunky teen overcame them quickly. Her throaty vocal delivery and instantly likable personality fuelled cuts such as A Little More Work, A Real Good Radio and the title cut from her new album.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann055 View Post
    Country superstar Carrie Underwood wows crowd at Scotiabank Saddledome on Blown Away World Tour | Music | Entertainment | Calgary Sun

Carrie Underwood has made it work — and she’s made it last.

Say what you will about the American Idol model which has begat far more forgettable than memorable artists through the years. But the Season 4 winner has extended her pop-country shelf life through nearly a decade, four albums, a string of hit singles and an equal number of respectable-selling arena tours including the current Blown Away World Tour.

It was never about appealing to country music purists, and the 29-year-old native Oklahoman certainly puts the “show” in showbiz pop-country.

Dwarfed by a massive stage production and a lighting and video rig that would impress Iron Maiden’s lighting director, Underwood has grown into her role as a country superstar for the times.

Dressed in a stunning, sexy blue sparkly gown … thingy (just one of many outfits during the evening), Underwood rose from a platform beneath the stage, through the front door of a modest makeshift bungalow and unleashed her booming voice through set opener Good Girl, which quickly segued into Undo It and Wasted to thunderous applause from the gathered masses — a near sell-out.

Although heavy on clichés, cheese and a healthy dose of schmaltz, Underwood speaks to her fans in ways that most artists would kill to duplicate — forget about what you think you know about appealing to the lowest common denominator. The first taste of actual country music in the form of I Told You So, as well as Two Black Cadillacs, Last Name and All America Girl merely set the table for a tender version of Temporary Home and Jesus Take The Wheel, which earned the biggest cheers of the night up to that point.

Relying on the over-the-top and super slick production, and a snappy pace (perfect for those with short attention spans), Underwood gave her fans, well, exactly what they had paid for through Get Out Of This Town, Nobody Ever Told You and Crazy Dreams.

Reaching into the KISS bag of stage gags, Underwood and part of her eight-piece band even undertook an aerial tour of the Saddledome on levitating mini stage while performing One Way Ticket.

Finishing her main set with an eye-rolling cover of Aerosmith’s Sweet Emotion, as well as Remind Me and the show-stopping monster hit, Before He Cheats, Underwood sent them to the exits satisfied — and then some.

Opening the show was 21-year-old rising star Hunter Hayes. The Breaux Bride, LA, native is riding a wave of early success with his hit single Wanted, but he showed some panache through a tight, crisp and rather enjoyable 45-minute set.

If crowd reaction to songs such as Somebody’s Heartbreak, Love Makes Me and Everybody’s Got Somebody But Me are anything to go by, this kid is the future of this music.

Earlier, fans got a taste of 19-year-old Ottawa songstress Kira Isabella.

Her Sony Music Canada debut, Love Me Like That, was just released on Tuesday and if she had any early tour jitters, the spunky teen overcame them quickly. Her throaty vocal delivery and instantly likable personality fuelled cuts such as A Little More Work, A Real Good Radio and the title cut from her new album.
    Very nice review. He forgot to mention the encore.
    Ann055, Smokyiiis and rainbow1 like this.

Concert Stars
    He must be a critic for all genres of music- good review -Sounds like he left after Before He Cheats and only One Way Ticket was sung while on the air sailing platform? He liked the show but he may have missed the best part - the ending with I Know You Won't and Blown Away
    Gator likes this.

Huge Carrie Follower
    Concert Stars
    I agree that the reviewer might have left early. A shame because we all know that the encore is perhaps the best part of the show. Regardless, a nice review that is a big improvement over last week's hatchet job.

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    As Carrie and the Blown Away tour continue to pile up reviews like this, just makes Mr. Crabby's review all the more ridiculous. But even if she gets a couple more less than glowing reviews doesn't make the tour any less successful. Besides, I think that there's things that can be learned from the less than glowing reviews.

Concert Stars
    The other review from the Calgary Herald is a lot worse, and has a lot more leg pictures lol
    rainbow1 likes this.

Well, I read the Herald review. Oh well...

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    lol, I agree
    seems the critics either like her or loath her.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Carrie Fans Maniac robinannhunt's Avatar
    Carrie is in a funny spot. Old time country doesn't like her and pop thinks she is too country.

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by maddkat View Post
    lol, I agree
    seems the critics either like her or loath her.
    Maybe the Herald guy is related to Mr. Crabby???? I know that Mr. Crabby has reviewed Carrie before and he's NEVER said anything nice about her, I'm wondering about this critic from the Herald? Anyone know if he's reviewed Carrie before?

Still of the opinion, that the negative reviews don't mean that much in the whole scheme of things and they can be used as learning tools.

Concert Stars
    Though this is not a flat out "crab-fest" it's not exactly glowing for me either.
    Lots of backhanded compliments.
    Lots of "rolling eyes / extended her shelf life / schmultz / Relying of over-the-top and super slick production / Say what you will about the American Idol Model / Cliches / sparkly gown....thingy /
    I don't know, I guess it's me. But you know, she is a singer and damn good one.
    Everyone had a great time and she is the reason for that.
    Why with the picking apart?
    Why can Miranda and TS endear them selves so completely to critics and reviewers and Carrie still have to carry this burden of Idol-princess.
    It was stated several times on the "Behind the Music" and I think it is clear enough after all these years, "there is simply a large part of the industry that will not take her seriously after winning a reality show.
    Lucky for Miranda she "Lost"!

Concert Stars
    Anyone have a link to this review from Calgary??

Ultimate Carrie Fan bigbluegrl23's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by pklongbeach View Post
    Though this is not a flat out "crab-fest" it's not exactly glowing for me either.
    Lots of "rolling eyes / extended her shelf life / schmultz / Relying of over-the-top and super slick production / Say what you will about the American Idol Model / Cliches / sparkly gown....thingy /
    Why can Miranda and TS endear them selves so completely to critics and reviewers and Carrie still have to carry this burden of Idol-princess.
    It was stated several times on the "Behind the Music" and I think it is clear enough after all these years, "there is simply a large part of the industry that will not take her seriously after winning a reality show.
    too bad for the reviewers that 20 years from now, there is only one person who will be remembered, and it aint them
    Becca

Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by pklongbeach View Post
    Miranda may have lost but she still got noticed on a reality talent show just like Carrie. It still bugs me that its rarely ever mentioned that Miranda got her start on Nashville Star but just about every article that mentions Carrie there seems to always be a reference to Amercian Idol. Anyways, Carrie has more than proven herself and she is a country superstar!

Ultimate Carrie Fan bigbluegrl23's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by nccountrygal View Post
    Miranda may have lost but she still got noticed on a reality talent show just like Carrie. It still bugs me that its rarely ever mentioned that Miranda got her start on Nashville Star but just about every article that mentions Carrie there seems to always be a reference to Amercian Idol. Anyways, Carrie has more than proven herself and she is a country superstar!
    american idol is A LOT more well known. she is a woman who COMPLETELY turned nashville on their ass. they will never forgive her for it. if your popular, its because the industry told the audience who to like. its not supposed to be that the audience tells the industry who to play and they tell the industry they want Carrie EVERY.SINGLE.DAY.
    Becca

Concert Stars
    Exactly. Oh well.

Reading both Calgary reviews and comparing them side-by-side is strange. It is like the two reviewers were at two different shows. Night and day. The positive review kept the comments focused on specific details in the show - giving his piece much more credibility. The bad review generalized everything, swapping details for sarcasm, making it seem like he wasn't even there. I think the snarky comments in the bad review reveal that the critic definitely had an agenda that prevented him from reviewing the music and peformance with an open mind.

Concert Stars
    It sounds (per Behind the Music), that 'Nashville' had their chance with Carrie. Carrie sang at various events. She actually sang at Tootsies and had a record label interested, until the deal fell through. Thank God for Idol for giving us Carrie!

Obsessed Carrie Fan Carrie&Taylor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gator View Post
    It sounds (per Behind the Music), that 'Nashville' had their chance with Carrie. Carrie sang at various events. She actually sang at Tootsies and had a record label interested, until the deal fell through. Thank God for Idol for giving us Carrie!
    Meaning, she "paid" her dues. She had three albums back then.
    Gator likes this.

Carrie Guru
    Although heavy on clichés, cheese and a healthy dose of schmaltz, Underwood speaks to her fans in ways that most artists would kill to duplicate — forget about what you think you know about appealing to the lowest common denominator.
    That is why she is in a different league and she is above all else.

Quote Originally Posted by DaisyTweets View Post
    Maybe the Herald guy is related to Mr. Crabby???? I know that Mr. Crabby has reviewed Carrie before and he's NEVER said anything nice about her, I'm wondering about this critic from the Herald? Anyone know if he's reviewed Carrie before?
    The Herald reviewer is Mike Bell (@mrbell_23 on Twitter) and he has reviewed Carrie's shows before (negatively of course). Consider him Canada's version of Mr. Crabby!

My favourite line from his review: "They are. It is. But there should be even a little more. Shouldn’t there?"

Waaaahhh???
    DaisyTweets likes this.

•  
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast