Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Saskatoon, Star Phoenix - Underwood Blows Crowd Away

Saskatoon, Star Phoenix - Underwood Blows Crowd Away

Underwood blows crowd away

Carrie Underwood blew into Saskatoon Monday night in a show heavy with Wizard of Oz imagery. The 29-year-old country superstar has the same wide-eyed appeal of Dorothy, but it’s unlikely the girl with the ruby slippers ever took a baseball bat to her cheating boyfriends’s truck.

The Oklahoma native and American Idol winner somehow manages to be wholesome with an edge. She’s sweet as pie, as long as you treat her right (exhibit: Before He Cheats).

A DJ set warmed up the crowd, playing a mix of country and pop. It’s the perfect blend for Underwood, who falls into both categories. A windmill and video of a twister barrelling through a prairie field preceded Underwood’s entrance. When she did take the stage, all glamour in a sparkly dress, her voice was immediately the most impressive thing. Underwood is a powerhouse. She attacks the big notes with a big voice and knows when to pull it back to angelic croon. It’s the perfect sound for a musician who blends an unassuming style with a healthy dose of confidence.

Underwood pulled from all four of her albums, leading with Good Girl from her latest Blown Away, which also happens to be the name of the tour. She also did a cover of the Randy Travis song I Told You So and Aerosmith’s Sweet Emotion.

With a band of eight, including the all-important fiddle and lap steel, Underwood delivered a “nice long show,” with songs long after press time.

The stage, a massive engineering feat squeezed into Credit Union Centre, gave fans all the lights and video they could ask for. A special surprise came when the front section levitated over the crowd for several songs, including Nobody Ever Told You.

Underwood had the crowd, filled mostly with teenaged girls, wrapped around her little finger, changing the lyrics of All-American Girl to All-Canadian Girl and, in a nod to her husband Ottawa Senator Mike Fisher changing “football” to “hockey.”

Some of the biggest cheers of the night went to the floozy anthem Last Name, Two Black Cadillacs and Jesus, Take the Wheel.

Recent Canadian Country Music Association Rising Star winner Kira Isabella started off the triple bill with a selection of sweet acoustic songs.

Following that Hunter Hayes took the stage. The 21-year-old musician played a selection of his own songs — including the single Wanted — but caused a stampede of young girls during his cover of the Bruno Mars song Just the Way You Are.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann055 View Post
    i love Carrie's pose and her dress and its purple color and of course her legs!

yeah yeah yeah!!
    nccountrygal likes this.

Concert Stars
    Oh! It's a good review? SKIP. No need to talk about this.

Let's go back at reading the bad reviews
    Last edited by liveasong; 10-02-2012 at 08:32 AM.
    gocountrymusic likes this.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann055 View Post
    Underwood blows crowd away

Carrie Underwood blew into Saskatoon Monday night in a show heavy with Wizard of Oz imagery. The 29-year-old country superstar has the same wide-eyed appeal of Dorothy, but it’s unlikely the girl with the ruby slippers ever took a baseball bat to her cheating boyfriends’s truck.

The Oklahoma native and American Idol winner somehow manages to be wholesome with an edge. She’s sweet as pie, as long as you treat her right (exhibit: Before He Cheats).

A DJ set warmed up the crowd, playing a mix of country and pop. It’s the perfect blend for Underwood, who falls into both categories. A windmill and video of a twister barrelling through a prairie field preceded Underwood’s entrance. When she did take the stage, all glamour in a sparkly dress, her voice was immediately the most impressive thing. Underwood is a powerhouse. She attacks the big notes with a big voice and knows when to pull it back to angelic croon. It’s the perfect sound for a musician who blends an unassuming style with a healthy dose of confidence.

Underwood pulled from all four of her albums, leading with Good Girl from her latest Blown Away, which also happens to be the name of the tour. She also did a cover of the Randy Travis song I Told You So and Aerosmith’s Sweet Emotion.

With a band of eight, including the all-important fiddle and lap steel, Underwood delivered a “nice long show,” with songs long after press time.

The stage, a massive engineering feat squeezed into Credit Union Centre, gave fans all the lights and video they could ask for. A special surprise came when the front section levitated over the crowd for several songs, including Nobody Ever Told You.

Underwood had the crowd, filled mostly with teenaged girls, wrapped around her little finger, changing the lyrics of All-American Girl to All-Canadian Girl and, in a nod to her husband Ottawa Senator Mike Fisher changing “football” to “hockey.”

Some of the biggest cheers of the night went to the floozy anthem Last Name, Two Black Cadillacs and Jesus, Take the Wheel.

Recent Canadian Country Music Association Rising Star winner Kira Isabella started off the triple bill with a selection of sweet acoustic songs.

Following that Hunter Hayes took the stage. The 21-year-old musician played a selection of his own songs — including the single Wanted — but caused a stampede of young girls during his cover of the Bruno Mars song Just the Way You Are.
    Thanks, the good reviews keep on coming, EOTY for sure.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by glenn7 View Post
    Thanks, the good reviews keep on coming, EOTY for sure.
    Great review. love it.

hjj
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Not a criticism but have you notice Carrie seems to stand pigeon toe alot in her performances? Another good review and love that her voice does not get loss in all the production and continues to be the highlight of the show. I'm so looking forward to seeing her in Dec.

Carrie Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by hjj View Post
    Not a criticism but have you notice Carrie seems to stand pigeon toe alot in her performances? Another good review and love that her voice does not get loss in all the production and continues to be the highlight of the show. I'm so looking forward to seeing her in Dec.
    I think it's probably a result of her ankle problems when she was young added to the fact that she wears 5 inch heels. lol.

Concert Stars
    Finally good reviews again! Minnesota can suck it! lol (not the fans- the critics). lol
    liz278 likes this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan Schrodinger's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    What's with the primarily teenage girls thing, that's what Mr Bitter said too. Yet in early concerts it was complete mix of men, woman, and ages. It is something about living in cold middle Americas that makes the teenage girls come out, is it Hunter? Just curious since the earlier concerts were reporting the opposite.

As for Carrie's shoes, every podiatrist anywhere cringes every time they see her she in those 6" stilettos. She loves them, they look awesome, it makes her look awesomer (Podiatrist William Rossi said, "The high heel may well be the most potent aphrodisiac ever concocted" don't ask how I know that, I think I read it somewhere a couple of years ago, but did just check the quote) and it makes her look taller. But she will pay the price down the road. ""Heels are getting higher and higher," says Hillary Brenner, DPM. "We podiatrists like to call it shoe-icide." Brenner, a spokeswoman for the American Podiatric Medical Association, says ultra-high heels can lead to everything from ankle sprains to chronic pain." Web MD.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Schrodinger View Post
    What's with the primarily teenage girls thing, that's what Mr Bitter said too. Yet in early concerts it was complete mix of men, woman, and ages. It is something about living in cold middle Americas that makes the teenage girls come out, is it Hunter? Just curious since the earlier concerts were reporting the opposite.

As for Carrie's shoes, every podiatrist anywhere cringes every time they see her she in those 6" stilettos. She loves them, they look awesome, it makes her look awesomer (Podiatrist William Rossi said, "The high heel may well be the most potent aphrodisiac ever concocted" don't ask how I know that, I think I read it somewhere a couple of years ago, but did just check the quote) and it makes her look taller. But she will pay the price down the road. ""Heels are getting higher and higher," says Hillary Brenner, DPM. "We podiatrists like to call it shoe-icide." Brenner, a spokeswoman for the American Podiatric Medical Association, says ultra-high heels can lead to everything from ankle sprains to chronic pain." Web MD.
    Let her enjoy her obssession with high heels for now because when she gets pregnant ad becomes a mom, bye bye high heels for awhile.lol.
    opry051008 likes this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan Schrodinger's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrown View Post
    Let her enjoy her obssession with high heels for now because when she gets pregnant ad becomes a mom, bye bye high heels for awhile.lol.
    8 months pregnant and wearing stilettos - wasn't that used by the Inquisition?

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Schrodinger View Post

I think that's just something for the reviewer to say.Although I think Carrie's primary audience is teen to twentysomething girls/women.At the two shows I was at there were also plenty of men, and older folk like me.
    Gator likes this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by maddkat View Post
    I think that's just something for the reviewer to say.Although I think Carrie's primary audience is teen to twentysomething girls/women.At the two shows I was at there were also plenty of men, and older folk like me.
    True. At the Nashville show, the youngest child I saw was about 3-4, and the oldest I saw (and brought with) was in her 80s. Girls/guys and men/women. Carrie has a diverse fan base and that's why I believe she makes such diverse albums. She loves her fans and strives to provide something for everyone and does a great job in doing just that.
    DizzyDollyDee and cyndi_sink like this.

Insane Carrie Fan CarrieUnderwoodismyHero's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Why is TBC included in there? It's not really one of her songs I would imagine getting "some of the biggest cheers of the night" as it is newer and has never been a single (yet )

Great review. Love it! Thanks Ann.
    Ann055 likes this.

Concert Stars
    Great review! And how clever of Carrie to change the words in All-American Girl to All-Canadian Girl and mention hockey instead of football. She's a natural.

Carrie Guru
    When I saw Carrie in Toronto, I don't think I've ever seen as many young blonde teenage girls in one place in this city before. lol.
    liveasong likes this.

Huge Carrie Follower CrazyDreams1818's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by PRGuy79 View Post
    Great review! And how clever of Carrie to change the words in All-American Girl to All-Canadian Girl and mention hockey instead of football. She's a natural.
    She's definitely done both those things before... and us Canadians love it each time
    liveasong and PRGuy79 like this.

Huge Carrie Follower CrazyDreams1818's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by opry051008 View Post
    When I saw Carrie in Toronto, I don't think I've ever seen as many young blonde teenage girls in one place in this city before. lol.
    Sounds like you've never been to a Swift concert... you should see all the blonde teenagers and preteens there!! Holy moly

Carrie Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyDreams1818 View Post
    Sounds like you've never been to a Swift concert... you should see all the blonde teenagers and preteens there!! Holy moly
    I can imagine. lol.

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast