Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 45
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: inforum.com - Review: Underwood Keeps Party Rolling - Fargo, ND

  1. #1
    Ultimate Carrie Fan Ann055's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    9,189

    inforum.com - Review: Underwood Keeps Party Rolling - Fargo, ND

    REVIEW: Underwood keeps party rolling | INFORUM | Fargo, ND


    Carrie Underwood performs in front of a full house Saturday at the Fargodome. Carrie Snyder / The Forum

    FARGO - Stagehands had a short struggle with a stuck curtain Saturday night, seconds before Carrie Underwood took the Fargodome stage.

    It was a rare glitch in Underwood’s technical stage show that included multiple costume changes, a floating stage, raining glitter, and bouncing beach balls.

    In front of a backdrop of windmills and prairie sunsets, Underwood arrived on the stage in a black-and-white, feathery frock that showed off the gams she’s known for. Underwood’s voice didn’t disappoint fans; as crisp and clear as a radio version, she belted out a few fan favorites off the bat but slowed it down quickly, moving into the Randy Travis original “I Told You So” by the fourth song.

    After changing into an aqua-and-plum party dress, Underwood kept the party rolling. The backdrops moved to a more modern tech look before Underwood disappeared for a quick costume change one more time, pulling on cowboy boots and cut-off denim. A rising stage floated Underwood and three bandmates out over the floor seats from the stage to the back rows, where she seemed to start making an effort to connect with her audience.

    “This is definitely one of my most favorite parts of the show. I feel like I get to meet everybody, I can see all of your beautiful faces,” Underwood said.

    Underwood had been making the rounds on the main stage through each song before, but the show at times seemed to lack the energy Underwood’s known for, especially during televised award performances. Some moments of her performance seemed more like Underwood had a job to do and was just getting it done instead of taking an opportunity to connect with her fans in the personal way only concerts can offer.

    NOTE: Please click link to read the remainder of the article.

    REVIEW: Underwood keeps party rolling | INFORUM | Fargo, ND

  • #2
    Carrie Fans Maniac kewlie78189's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    26,142
    Concert Stars
    great review!

  • #3
    Carrie Fans Legend teesharky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Saratoga NY
    Posts
    76,880
    Concert Stars
    Edited: Decent review. At least it was more professional then the Minnesota jerk. I disagree with some parts though.

    Is this a major paper in ND?
    Last edited by teesharky; 09-30-2012 at 09:57 AM.

  • #4
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Northwest
    Posts
    3,503
    Concert Stars
    I thought it was rather a "mixed" review - maybe she is getting tired - has she had a break?
    Hunter was definitely liked and have to agree from the videos we've seen he seems to be full of energy.

  • #5
    Junior Carrie Follower kcjune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    476
    Quote Originally Posted by kewlie78189 View Post
    great review!

    Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    Awesome review! That is more like it!

    Is this a major paper in ND?

    Not really. IMO

  • #6
    Carrie Guru thaifood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    On Spaceship Earth
    Posts
    13,179
    Concert Stars
    It is an OK review at best. Read it again & you'll see the thing differently.

  • #7
    pgk
    pgk is offline
    Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,934
    99.5%. of review was great...I guess he's fond of the song BA but not so much the other singles on the album...but overall and very good revew.

  • #8
    Carrie Guru rainbow1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    15,404
    Concert Stars
    The old "lack of energy and not connecting well"....I'm so tired of that!!!!! The rest was OK. Seems he slyly emphasized Hunter's energy.
    teesharky and robinannhunt like this.

  • #9
    Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Citizen of Nowhere
    Posts
    7,138
    After the two Twin Cities reviews, this does come across as fair.
    The main concern with this one is the part that says:
    "Some moments of her performance seemed more like Underwood had a job to do and was just getting it done instead of taking an opportunity to connect with her fans in the personal way only concerts can offer."

    Actually, I think that criticism can be related to what the Minnesota reviewers were saying (in so far as they had a point beyond their biases - in one case, an obvious disparagement of American Idol, Middle America and audiences dominated by women, and in the other, a marked preference for a certain more Pop focused singer, whom the reviewer, rather strangely, saw as a "ghost" haunting the performance.) Looking beyond those idiosyncratic reviews, and putting them together with this more balanced one - all three seem to be making the same central criticism - that Carrie has a powerful voice, but doesn't always seem (to them) to connect fully with either her songs or her audience.

    I can only say that, judging by the many tweets and comments I've read the audiences themselves don't generally agree. Of course, it's easy to argue that a fan audience is already hyped up for a thrilling evening, whereas a jaded reviewer isn't - but I've also seen several comments which say the writer didn't go as a big fan, but was still impressed.

    For my part, the Opry performances, some of the "specials" and stripped down performances have probably shown Carrie at her very best - but it's difficult to judge these arena concerts from the cell phone recordings we tend to get. Do people who've seen them have any thoughts on how Carrie connects with the audience, and what more (if anything) she could do?

  • #10
    Carrie Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    13,043
    Quote Originally Posted by thaifood View Post
    It is an OK review at best. Read it again & you'll see the thing differently.
    Yep, it's an OK review for me .

    Underwood had been making the rounds on the main stage through each song before, but the show at times seemed to lack the energy Underwood’s known for, especially during televised award performances. Some moments of her performance seemed more like Underwood had a job to do and was just getting it done instead of taking an opportunity to connect with her fans in the personal way only concerts can offer.
    I don't understand, is the writer talking about last night's concert or 2 years ago ? I am too old to analyze the above paragraph

  • #11
    Insane Carrie Fan liveasong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Montreal, QC
    Posts
    5,692
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    After the two Twin Cities reviews, this does come across as fair.
    The main concern with this one is the part that says:
    "Some moments of her performance seemed more like Underwood had a job to do and was just getting it done instead of taking an opportunity to connect with her fans in the personal way only concerts can offer."

    Actually, I think that criticism can be related to what the Minnesota reviewers were saying (in so far as they had a point beyond their biases - in one case, an obvious disparagement of American Idol, Middle America and audiences dominated by women, and in the other, a marked preference for a certain more Pop focused singer, whom the reviewer, rather strangely, saw as a "ghost" haunting the performance.) Looking beyond those idiosyncratic reviews, and putting them together with this more balanced one - all three seem to be making the same central criticism - that Carrie has a powerful voice, but doesn't always seem (to them) to connect fully with either her songs or her audience.

    I can only say that, judging by the many tweets and comments I've read the audiences themselves don't generally agree. Of course, it's easy to argue that a fan audience is already hyped up for a thrilling evening, whereas a jaded reviewer isn't - but I've also seen several comments which say the writer didn't go as a big fan, but was still impressed.

    For my part, the Opry performances, some of the "specials" and stripped down performances have probably shown Carrie at her very best - but it's difficult to judge these arena concerts from the cell phone recordings we tend to get. Do people who've seen them have any thoughts on how Carrie connects with the audience, and what more (if anything) she could do?
    It's hard for Carrie to connect with someone in the audience when he/she doesn't even want to be there. LOL.

    He's the one getting his job done while Carrie is doing what she loves the most: Singing.

    But I will give him credit for wording his review politely and in an non-trashy way.

  • #12
    Carrie Guru
    maddkat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    24,412
    Concert Stars
    ^ agree
    It seems that reviewers sometimes are so caught up in reviewing while the concert its going on that they miss the big picture.I would say it's not always Carrie having trouble connecting to the audience/reviewer but the reviewer connecting with Carrie.A concertgoer has to do their part too.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  • #13
    Insane Carrie Fan Gator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    4,105
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by maddkat View Post
    ^ agree
    It seems that reviewers sometimes are so caught up in reviewing while the concert its going on that they miss the big picture.I would say it's not Carrie always having trouble connecting to the audience/reviewer but the reviewer connecting with Carrie.A concertgoer has to do their part too.
    Agree. For some reviewers, I doubt even a "private" concert for some would be enough to convince them how great Carrie is. Some have complete biases against Carrie and/or country music and they won't see past them. So why do they review concerts they know they are not going to like anyway???

  • #14
    Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Citizen of Nowhere
    Posts
    7,138
    Quote Originally Posted by liveasong View Post
    It's hard for Carrie to connect with someone in the audience when he/she doesn't even want to be there. LOL.

    He's the one getting his job done while Carrie is doing what she loves the most: Singing.
    Well, thinking of the two worst reviewers, one would obviously have preferred to be dreaming of his tall blonde younger "ghost", and the other would rather not have been seen mixing with an audience of supposed Midldle American Idol fans - so, you're right, they were only there for the money!

    Nevertheless, it's a fair bet that many of the "Entertainer of the Year" voters don't go at all. That's why negative reviews have an impact. Keep saying that "x" doesn't come over as strongly as "y", and that sinks in with lazy voters.
    liveasong likes this.

  • #15
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Raleigh , North Carolina
    Posts
    3,694
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    Well, thinking of the two worst reviewers, one would obviously have preferred to be dreaming of his tall blonde younger "ghost", and the other would rather not have been seen mixing with an audience of supposed Midldle American Idol fans - so, you're right, they were only there for the money!

    Nevertheless, it's a fair bet that many of the "Entertainer of the Year" voters don't go at all. That's why negative reviews have an impact. Keep saying that "x" doesn't come over as strongly as "y", and that sinks in with lazy voters.
    Well lets just hope those lazy voters read the reviews from the Nashville show especially the one from the guy that wrote his review for CMT.
    rainbow1 likes this.

  • #16
    Carrie Fans Legend teesharky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Saratoga NY
    Posts
    76,880
    Concert Stars
    Ok i was tired when I read it and missed some of the more negative comments.

    Well at least it was not a slam.

  • #17
    Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Citizen of Nowhere
    Posts
    7,138
    Quote Originally Posted by nccountrygal View Post
    Well lets just hope those lazy voters read the reviews from the Nashville show especially the one from the guy that wrote his review for CMT.
    Yes, don't worry, I think they will. The very positive has so far well outweighed the negative (I'm still reeling from the snarky Twin Cities reviews, but I'm certainly not expecting those to be typical!)
    rainbow1 likes this.

  • #18
    Carrie Fans Legend teesharky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Saratoga NY
    Posts
    76,880
    Concert Stars
    While i have not seen this tour yet- i can tellyou that carrie connects just fine with the audience now. In her earlier tours- she was stifc and shy and the criticism for lack of stage presence was warranted.

    But on the PO tour and this tour- most of the critics noted a vast improvement in her stage presence as did I. She is no longer stiff and she has fun out there.

    But boy if even you are influenced by a few snarkier reviews to the extent you are asking what carrie can do to improve--and you are a big fan- then I have no doubt that tbe eoty voters are also influenced by them. I am sure you are right that the voters do not go to carries show but rather- have their minds made up long ago from
    Impressions formed by her earlier stiff shy days on stage and Idol - and bias against her.

    There were overwhelmingly positive reviews from
    The PO tour too but she still got snubbed for eoty.

    But what about all the great reviews the tour got so far? Do they not count to the voters? Do they only read negative ones?

    This critic seemed to be lukewarm to carrie but at least he was professional and ok to her. But Green Bay loved her as did every city up to Minnesora and Fargo. Hmmm. Maybe they are friends. Lol

    Honestly carrie cannot do anymore then what she is doing. The snarkier critics see what they want to see.



    Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    After the two Twin Cities reviews, this does come across as fair.
    The main concern with this one is the part that says:
    "Some moments of her performance seemed more like Underwood had a job to do and was just getting it done instead of taking an opportunity to connect with her fans in the personal way only concerts can offer."

    Actually, I think that criticism can be related to what the Minnesota reviewers were saying (in so far as they had a point beyond their biases - in one case, an obvious disparagement of American Idol, Middle America and audiences dominated by women, and in the other, a marked preference for a certain more Pop focused singer, whom the reviewer, rather strangely, saw as a "ghost" haunting the performance.) Looking beyond those idiosyncratic reviews, and putting them together with this more balanced one - all three seem to be making the same central criticism - that Carrie has a powerful voice, but doesn't always seem (to them) to connect fully with either her songs or her audience.

    I can only say that, judging by the many tweets and comments I've read the audiences themselves don't generally agree. Of course, it's easy to argue that a fan audience is already hyped up for a thrilling evening, whereas a jaded reviewer isn't - but I've also seen several comments which say the writer didn't go as a big fan, but was still impressed.

    For my part, the Opry performances, some of the "specials" and stripped down performances have probably shown Carrie at her very best - but it's difficult to judge these arena concerts from the cell phone recordings we tend to get. Do people who've seen them have any thoughts on how Carrie connects with the audience, and what more (if anything) she could do?

  • #19
    Insane Carrie Fan thunder92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    No where
    Posts
    4,891
    Concert Stars
    Lets not forget that it could have just been an odd day for Carrie. There are times now that I have seen her be stiff on stage. No one is perfect and she is gonna have not so great nights. Maybe this was one of those nights.

  • #20
    Carrie Guru rainbow1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    15,404
    Concert Stars
    Well, I saw a lot of fans, saying it was the best concert they had ever been to!!
    Ann055 and bearball49 like this.


  •  
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. Rolling Stone review
      By simonplay in forum Carrie Underwood Times
      Replies: 70
      Last Post: 05-08-2012, 09:34 PM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •