Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree124Likes

Thread: Underwood continues to evolve in Dunk show

Underwood continues to evolve in Dunk show

Underwood continues to evolve in Dunk show | Arts News | providencejournal.com | The Providence Journal

PROVIDENCE - Since the heyday of Shania Twain, no woman has created a more pop-friendly mix of country and rock than Carrie Underwood. On Monday night at the Dunkin' Donuts Center, Underwood showcased her vocal power, heavy hooks and songwriting prowess.

Underwood is touring behind this spring's "Blown Away" CD, which continues her pop transformation, and she performed more than half the disc, opening with "Good Girl," a slice of country/rock/pop that allowed her to show off the power at the top end of her voice, reminiscent of Heart's Ann Wilson. Her most impressive vocal moment, however, could have been her (somewhat) more gentle work on "I Told You So," which has been an Underwood concert staple for years.

No Underwood show lacks for visuals, and this was no exception, with a set that included a windmill and several costume changes, and a floating platform carried Underwood and most of the band for a mostly acoustic mini-set.

The encores served to reinforce the evolution of Underwood from fresh-faced country gal to full-on pop star, with the piano-based ballad "I Know You Won't" and the dramatic "Blown Away."

A full review will appear in Wednesday's Journal.
    Ann055, gwade82, PRGuy79 and 12 others like this.

Concert Stars
    Okay, the review is good though I just admit I'm dissappointed at all the references to pop/rock

Good review, but I'm annoyed at the use of phrases like "pop transformation" and "evolution to full-on pop star".

Concert Stars
    Perhaps the flashy lights and brilliance of the visuals made the writer think it was more pop? But who cares cuz it was a good review.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    As far as I'm concerned, being so favorably compared with Shania Twain is fantastic. Carrie's Blown Away show at the Dunk was nothing short of magnificent.

Obsessed Chart Watcher cary78663's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire2004 View Post
    Good review, but I'm annoyed at the use of phrases like "pop transformation" and "evolution to full-on pop star".
    I really don't see the big deal in those terms. No one can deny that Carrie's music include country, pop and rock elements, a combination that is not uncommon in country music today. And the reviewer mentioned all three. And "pop star" does not mean Carrie is shifting from country to pop. It simply means that Carrie's audience is broaden more and more beyond just the country music audience.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by cary78663 View Post
    I really don't see the big deal in those terms. No one can deny that Carrie's music include country, pop and rock elements, a combination that is not uncommon in country music today. And the reviewer mentioned all three. And "pop star" does not mean Carrie is shifting from country to pop. It simply means that Carrie's audience is broaden more and more beyond just the country music audience.
    That combination seems to be far more common in the genere today than "traditional country" is.
    carebear4eva and Claire2004 like this.

Concert Stars
    pop/rock stuff is kinda annoying but good review

Carrie Fans Maniac robinannhunt's Avatar
    I like to think POP here means very popular, lol. The queen of country is very popular to all audiences because of her voice and charm.

Concert Stars
    Can't beat a comparison to Shania! I'll take it...and he's going to write more!!

Concert Stars
    Great review. And I agree that all the adjectives used by the reviewer are meant to acknowledge Carrie's ability to reach a broader audience as an ambassador for country music.
    Hil, rainbow1 and Ann055 like this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by kewlie78189 View Post
    pop/rock stuff is kinda annoying but good review
    Honestly, I dont see how its annoying. Everyone knows that Carries music is country at the core, but has many pop/rock elements. Its her style and this reviewer is pointing that out and is being favorable about it.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by jaylee50 View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, being so favorably compared with Shania Twain is fantastic. Carrie's Blown Away show at the Dunk was nothing short of magnificent.

Exactly. A comparison to Shania is always meant as a compliment. . Shania was pop-country like Carrie so there is nothing wrong with that.

Carrie's first two songs on the setlist are a bit on the pop side but then she gets much more country later.

The way I see it- Carrie is country at heart but her music has pop and rock influences. Even she admitted she is country with pop and rock influences. Two Black Cadillacs has an R&B gospel sound to it as well.

Taylor by contrast is Pop at heart pretending to be country to use the genre for more awards sales and radio airplay. She even markets herself as pop overseas whereas Carrie calls herself country overseas- proudly.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by thunder92 View Post
    Honestly, I dont see how its annoying. Everyone knows that Carries music is country at the core, but has many pop/rock elements. Its her style and this reviewer is pointing that out and is being favorable about it.
    Agree - the important thing is they loved the show and gave a good review. Had they bashed Carrie for being too pop and hated the show I would be all over this article. Lol

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow1 View Post
    Can't beat a comparison to Shania! I'll take it...and he's going to write more!!
    I agree. She is getting really great reviews on this tour. There is more reviews tomorrow.

Since the heyday of Shania Twain, no woman has created a more pop-friendly mix of country and rock than Carrie Underwood.

Awesome! Im happy with that! 8)
    teesharky and Hil like this.

Concert Stars
    A full review will appear in Wednesday's Journal.

Looking forward to their "full review" tomorrow!

Huge Carrie Follower
    Concert Stars
    I look forward to tomorrow's review. What I do find interesting is remembering before her tour, ITYS was one of the songs that several insisted should be dropped from the set list this time around. I have always loved the song and I think it is important for Carrie to include at least one traditional song in her set list. She gets so much praise when she embraces some of the country oldies. It can go a long way to let those country fans who do not understand her more progressive tunes see that she is still country and has not forgotten her roots. The new songs are amazing. But when she cuts lose on traditional country, it is a thing of rare beauty. One of my absolute favorites is her cover of Neon Moon.....she was truly better than the origonal artists and I am a B&Dfan. Her voice is made for old time country music......as well as modern country, pop, folk, gospel and rock......what a dilemma. The other artists should be so lucky as to wonder what genre they should sing next..

Carrie Fans Maniac robinannhunt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hil View Post
    Yes, but drop I told you so and add Wine After Whiskey....it's country, and new. I've been to a lot of Carrie tours and would like to hear the new music live. That being said, I'm not trying to be a complainer, but just state my opinion. I like ITYS, and cant' wait to see Carrie on tour
    I could do without ITYS too.
    Hil likes this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    I wouldn't worry unduly about the terms - they have to be taken in the context in which the review was likely to have been written. (In Asheville or New Braunfels, calling Carrie a Pop Star would be taken to be dismissive of her Country credentials; in Providence RI, it's likely to be taken as a compliment) I would guess that this review may be from someone who is primarily a General Music writer. Many people who are not Country fans see the Pop world as having wider appeal and cooler entertainment credibility. Country tends to be seen as large, but, in its purer forms, still something of a restricted regional medium. "Crossovers" are both easier for them to understand, and seen as more successful.

I know enough about Carrie to know where she stands on Country Music - and that's good enough for me. I don't see her attitude to being an advocate for the music, or to marketing or remixing, as anything like Shania Twain's.
    Hil, Claire2004, Ann055 and 4 others like this.

•  
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast