Like Tree23Likes
  • 14 Post By liveasong
  • 3 Post By pgk
  • 1 Post By Manchs
  • 3 Post By carrieismy1idol
  • 1 Post By teesharky
  • 1 Post By Schrodinger

Thread: Ask Billboard: Carrie Underwood VS. Taylor Swift, Continued (In Carrie's favor)

Concert Stars

Ask Billboard: Carrie Underwood VS. Taylor Swift, Continued (In Carrie's favor)

Dear Gary,

I'm sure that Billboard will get the fan war-inspired hits it was looking for by posting the Carrie Underwood/ Taylor Swift comparison and asking the silly question of who the country chart queen is.

Taylor Swift Vs. Carrie Underwood: Who's Country's Chart Queen?

I personally find the question to be a silly one because, starting with her sophomore album "Fearless," Swift has been jointly promoted to the country and pop markets through the Big Machine and Republic labels, whereas Underwood hasn't had that joint promotion since her debut album (when she was signed to both Arista Nashville and Arista; except for a few crossover singles since). That joint promotion is naturally going to result in Swift receiving stronger promotional consideration and airplay on the pop formats, which in turn feeds download sales, album sales and tour numbers. With so much of Swift's extraordinary success owing to her promotion and presence on pop formats, I don't find a lot of her success to be relevant to the country genre.

As you point out in your article, Underwood's music is more "core country." From where I stand, the only country song Swift has released from her sophomore and third albums was "Mean." As for the rest of her singles, I don't consider charting on country to be enough to qualify a song as country, as the tendency of corporate interests to latch onto something for the sake of ratings and on account of promotion gets in the way of music considerations. The Clear Channel inflated-debuts of Swift's current single (and other artists' this year) are just one indication of the meaninglessness of stats like a debut.

When I listen to the music Swift has released since her debut album, I hear a pop singer/songwriter with pop-singing tendencies. Certainly Underwood has pushed the envelope with some of her single releases (her current single "Blown Away" being a good example). But, when I hear Underwood, I hear a country vocalist (it's there in the curls and cry of her voice), and when I consider Underwood and the arc of her career, I see someone who (unlike Swift) has committed herself to the country genre, to honoring its roots and building on its history to widen its scope.

There is a bigger reason your question is silly, and it's that ongoing epidemic of recentism. Dolly Parton and Reba McEntire both have many more country top 10 hits and No. 1 hits than Underwood (and Swift). For sheer longevity, if there is a country chart queen out there, it is one of them. Underwood may be up there with them in numbers one day. Shania Twain's album sales dwarf both Underwood's and Swift's. By reducing the comparison to one between two currently charting artists, you deprive the "country chart queen" question of context and do a real disservice to the discussion. I would love to know where Patsy Cline and the original queen Kitty Wells fit into the discussion, as well, not to mention Loretta Lynn.

I would've been much more interested in reading an historical overview on how country's biggest-name women have fared at the format. Instead, the nature of your article is going to evoke a lot of useless viciousness between the extremes of two fanbases.

Sincerely,

Debbie Vilas
    Source: http://www.billboard.com/column/char...07944162.story

Carrie fans are the best!

Concert Stars
    I read this too and loved it! But you are right, they still consider Taylor country.

pgk
    Obsessed Carrie Fan
    This sounds very much like something 'Dudleyvillas' would write. Wonder if it's her?
    rainbow1, carrieidol1 and HuiZ like this.

Dudleyvillas, Debbie Vilas... interesting.
    rainbow1 likes this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan carrieismy1idol's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    I Would Really Wish They Would Stop The Carrie Vs. Taylor Stuff It Is Getting Very Old And Annoying For Me It Is No Contest Carrie Wins Everytime!!!
    rainbow1, teesharky and cyndi_sink like this.

Huge Carrie Follower
    this is becoming dumber and dumber by the minute.

Concert Stars
    The writer of the article is soooooooooooooo far up Taylor's butt it is sickening. He snuck if a few nice things about Carrie too--- but most of the article was emphasizing how Taylor pretty much beats Carrie in most of the categories.

Well-- he failed to mention the most important category: singing. In that, Taylor is the worst vocalist in the entire music industry, and nothing he says can change that.
    liz278 likes this.

This is just really annoying. They're still not considering total airplay and Country chart entries. They also forgot that out of the three only Carrie is an Opry member.

Concert Stars
    uhhh people need to stop comparing!!!

Concert Stars
    Imma stay out this one! Let me stop.

Obsessed Carrie Fan Carrie&Taylor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    The writer of the article is soooooooooooooo far up Taylor's butt it is sickening. He snuck if a few nice things about Carrie too--- but most of the article was emphasizing how Taylor pretty much beats Carrie in most of the categories.

Well-- he failed to mention the most important category: singing. In that, Taylor is the worst vocalist in the entire music industry, and nothing he says can change that.
    This will never end. Billboard and Rolling Stone magazine are not country fans at all. Country genre is not hip and cool like pop, rap, hip hop and what's left of rock which does not seem to be as big today like it was in the 70-80's my dad said. Country is like the Christian music. Not popular in comparison to.

Obsessed Carrie Fan Schrodinger's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    New Poll! Major Pet Food Company Asks which is the Best Pet?

Ace

Meredith

Let the fighting begin.
    Last edited by Schrodinger; 09-10-2012 at 03:43 PM.
    robinannhunt likes this.

Carrie Fans Maniac robinannhunt's Avatar
    I wonder if there is a hockey suit for Ace this year?

Obsessed Carrie Fan Carrie&Taylor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Schrodinger View Post
    New Poll! Major Pet Food Company Asks is which is the Best Pet?

Ace

Meredith

Let the fighting begin.
    I like kitties!

Ace of of course, but he should be in a hockey costume, not a football one lol

Obsessed Carrie Fan Schrodinger's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Marie2011 View Post
    Ace of of course, but he should be in a hockey costume, not a football one lol
    I looked for and couldn't find one, maybe this year. BTW did you see Carrie on CMT's One minute - choice between football vs. hockey she started to say football - very cute.

omg yes that was hilarious

•