Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Be Careful Drinking The Kool-Aid (Carrie Mention - Sort Of)

Obsessed Chart Watcher cary78663's Avatar

Be Careful Drinking The Kool-Aid (Carrie Mention - Sort Of)

An excerpt for this week's Rumbles For The Row.

DNC week and NFL opening week. Sounds like a bad time to try to get someone's attention. Snoop Dog's nomination is in an actual Country song. Kelly Clarkson got in how? Didn't quite get where the voters were going on that one.

Remember if you drink the award show Kool Aid, inevitably they will poison you. You get a little on the not-so-fresh-and-new side and boom, they will push you aside for something new. Sell a million tickets last year? Who cares that's not what the label agenda is. Whether you are an "Idol" winner or million ticket seller,you can't stop long to drink from that award show well. It's not healthy.

Saw a big star very emotional the first night he ever started LOSING on award show night. I will never forget that image. I keep that memory to myself but never forgot it. The thrill of victory and the agony of defeat. Clichés burst forth. Ending with only way to go from the top of the mountain ... down!
    Full article: Be Careful Drinking The Kool-Aid by Jimmy Carter | Rumbles From The Row by Jimmy Carter …

Huge Carrie Follower countrymama22's Avatar
    Wonder what big star he is talking about.

Concert Stars
    That is true. No matter how bright your star shines, eventually you will burn out.
    supercarriefan likes this.

Concert Stars
    I don't think it has anything to do with burning out - it's just people in the industry voting don't really have the time to know what they are voting for - that's why voting blocks work so well - and prob alot of industry people don't even bother to vote so I doubt it's 6,000 members unless it's a criteria for being a member that you have to vote and why did he mention Idol - Jimmy Carter - he drinks his own Kool aid I would guess - I wonder how long that will last

Concert Stars
    I can't help thinking that it's K.Chesney.
    I kind of districtly remember the year he suddenly went from "The Entertainer......" Unstoppable, to a guy in the audience who never did get up all evening.

Obsessed Carrie Fan Carrie&Taylor's Avatar
    Whether you are an "Idol" winner or million ticket seller,you can't stop long to drink from that award show well. It's not healthy.

Is this about Carrie and Taylor? What does he mean by this quote?

Quote Originally Posted by Carrie&Taylor View Post
    Whether you are an "Idol" winner or million ticket seller,you can't stop long to drink from that award show well. It's not healthy.

Or anyone who has been on top and then swapped out for the next big thing. He's basically saying you can't worry yourself over a silly award show, when the voters are so fickle with what they like.
    AdamJ likes this.

sco
    Insane Carrie Fan

He was probably thinking about Carrie but he probably isn't necessarily speaking in specifics but more in generalities. Awards are not "fair" and they aren't necessarily based on any specific criteria. They are more about who is perceived to be the hot commodity that year. I think the point he was trying to make is that if artists put too much stock in awards they are going to eventually be disappointed when they aren't "it" any more.

My personal take is if an artist is putting out good music, successfully selling albums and concert tickets, and producing singles the public wants to listen to then if that's not good enough for the awards shows so be it.

Thanks Wonder if many acts don't get to involved. Miranda and Taylor sure do if they lose.

Concert Stars
    ^^ totally agree with SCO!

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Carrie does not HAVE to win awards to give credibility to her status in country or to her talent (I like it when she wins though). I will still go to her concerts, buy her music and support her any way I can. I keep thinking how frustrated she must feel because she has done everything the right way and made and broken records all over the place and yells her love and support for country music to the rafters but she still is not rewarded for her great accomplishments. Man, I know I would be frustrated as all get out.

Ultimate Carrie Fan supercarriefan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Great words from Jimmy Carter. I hope everyone in country music reads this because it is so true. I've said this on here before and I'll say it again: those at the top of the game right now had best enjoy it because there will be someone come along to push them out of the way eventually. Enjoy the moment while you can...it will pass quickly. It has happened to many great artists in the past, and it will continue to happen. Country music isn't immune to the audiences and the industry moving onto the next big thing.
    I agree with Patrick that the artist he mentions is likely Kenny. He went from being on top of the world from about 2004 to 2008 to being another neglected superstar when it comes to awards. He has regained a little spark year it seems.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    The Clarkson nom was a real head scatcher but the rest of what Carter has to say isn't anything that everyone didn't already know anyway.
    supercarriefan likes this.

Concert Stars
    When mentioning Idol maybe he's referring to Scotty who was left out of the New Artist category even though his album had great sales - it's hard to say who that star was that was crying and how did he know what he was crying about? He could have received some bad news - but it could have been a star from years ago, who knows - I doubt it was Kenny because he seemed so accepting when Carrie won the Entertainer award- he gave her a hug - he just doesn't seem the type to get upset over something like that

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by countrymama22 View Post
    Wonder what big star he is talking about.
    My guess would be George Strait.
    robinannhunt likes this.

Concert Stars
    Funny he didnt mention Carrie's snub. Has he mentioned her at all on his radio show?

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamJ View Post
    Carrie does not HAVE to win awards to give credibility to her status in country or to her talent (I like it when she wins though). I will still go to her concerts, buy her music and support her any way I can. I keep thinking how frustrated she must feel because she has done everything the right way and made and broken records all over the place and yells her love and support for country music to the rafters but she still is not rewarded for her great accomplishments. Man, I know I would be frustrated as all get out.
    How true. I still believe it is plain and simple ENVY. She experienced it when she first arrived and I believe it is more apparent now than ever. Yes she has had great success winning awards, but until someone comes along more talented and more representative of country music, I find the voters at this award program( CMA's ) very envious and pathetic.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamJ View Post
    How true. I still believe it is plain and simple ENVY. She experienced it when she first arrived and I believe it is more apparent now than ever. Yes she has had great success winning awards, but until someone comes along more talented and more representative of country music, I find the voters at this current award program very envious and pathetic.

Reba is a good example. When was the last time she won an award? And she's the queen of country music right now. And Carrie seems to be multi talented like her as well to. No other "hot" country female including Taylor has proven to be multi talented like Carrie with the things she's done. Carrie seems to be in line next as the queen after Reba. Both are classy and have never trashed talked about anyone.

Ultimate Carrie Fan supercarriefan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Reba is a good example. When was the last time she won an award? And she's the queen of country music right now. And Carrie seems to be multi talented like her as well to. No other "hot" country female including Taylor has proven to be multi talented like Carrie with the things she's done. Carrie seems to be in line next as the queen after Reba. Both are classy and have never trashed talked about anyone.
    Reba won her last award from the CMAs in 1994. She was awarded a special International Artist Achievement award in 2000, but that isn't a regular award the CMAs give out each year. She hasn't been nominated in the last two years at all. Most of the awards Reba has been given since the mid 90s are special achievement type things, not regular category awards.

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast