Like Tree12Likes
  • 5 Post By Claire2004
  • 3 Post By allamericangirl8
  • 4 Post By liz278

Thread: 2012 CMA Awards Nominations: Out with the Old, In with the New

2012 CMA Awards Nominations: Out with the Old, In with the New

I only included the Carrie-related parts lol:

2012 CMA Awards Nominations: Out with the Old, In with the New

For the better part of the past 12 years the list of CMA Awards nominees has changed very little from year to year. You have the usual suspects like Kenny Chesney, Brad Paisley, Keith Urban, Rascal Flatts, and Martina McBride who seem to land nominations every year in their respective vocalist fields. It’s very rare for any of them to be left out of a category in favor of younger, “hipper” artists who are starting to fill their shoes. The 2012 list of CMA nominees shockingly finds three of those four left out in favor of new superstars who are ready to be the new faces of awards season.
    Just like I had predicted Eric Church is this year’s leading nominee with five nominations. His smash hit “Springsteen” was nominated in the Single, Song, and Music Video category while his album, Chief, was nominated for Album. He scored his first nomination in the Male Vocalist category as well, which saw a rather shocking shakeup this year. As usual, I’ll run down the list of nominees in each category and share any snubs and flubs.

Entertainer of the Year

• Jason Aldean
    • Kenny Chesney
    • Brad Paisley
    • Blake Shelton
    • Taylor Swift

Going back at my earlier predictions, this is the only category that I correctly predicted all five nominees. I believe the CMA got it right with these five artists who have been the genre’s brightest stars within the past year. Of course, I would love to see a little variety like maybe throwing in Lady Antebellum, Miranda Lambert, or Carrie Underwood, but I don’t have any major complaints here.

Female Vocalist of the Year

• Kelly Clarkson
    • Miranda Lambert
    • Martina McBride
    • Taylor Swift
    • Carrie Underwood

Woah. Woah. Woah. Kelly Clarkson is a CMA Female Vocalist of the Year nominee?! Not to say she isn’t a great vocalist or artist, but is she reallycountry? Yes, I know, she had a top 25 hit with the remix of “Mr. Know It All,” but it was just that…a remix of a pop song. If all you have to do to get nominated is score a top 30 hit, then why not choose Jana Kramer who actually considers herself country? This is no doubt the biggest surprise to come out of today’s announcement. However, it doesn’t matter since that fifth spot is simply a filler. Look to Miranda or Carrie to nab the win come Nov. 1.

Album of the Year

• Chief – Eric Church
    • Four The Record – Miranda Lambert
    • Home – Dierks Bentley
    • Own the Night – Lady Antebellum
    • Tailgates and Tanlines – Luke Bryan

Oh the Carrie Underwood fans are probably blowing up every comment thread on every article that has been written about the nominations. The singer’s fourth album, Blown Away, was overlooked in this category in favor of Dierks Bentley’s latest album, Home. Meanwhile the other four nominated albums were clear favorites to land nods so there weren’t any surprises there. Come November 1st, it’ll either be Lambert taking home her second Album trophy or leading nominee Eric Church finally gaining recognition for an album that was overlooked by the Grammys and ACMs.

Musical Event of the Year

• “Dixie Highway” – Alan Jackson featuring Zac Brown
    • “Feel Like A Rock Star” – Kenny Chesney (duet with Tim McGraw)
    • “Roll Me Up and Smoke Me When I Die” – Willie Nelson with Snoop Dogg, Kris Kristofferson, and Jamey Johnson
    • “Safe & Sound” – Taylor Swift (featuring The Civil Wars)
    • “Stuck on You” – Lionel Richie (with Darius Rucker)

Ummm…Snoop Dogg can now call himself a CMA award nominee….seriously?! What is this world coming to?! I don’t think I’ll ever be able to forgive the CMA for that. Another thing I won’t be able to forgive? Leaving “Remind Me” off the list! The song was a number one smash for Brad Paisley and Carrie Underwood and was probably considered among many to be the frontrunner to win this year. Without the Paisley/Underwood smash included, it leaves the door open for the Chesney/McGraw hit or the Taylor Swift and The Civil Wars tune to take home the award.
    2012 CMA Awards Nominations: Out with the Old, In with the New | All Things Country

Concert Stars
    hope she wins!!!

Concert Stars
    she certainly identifies the two major omissions of this year's nominations: Blown Away for Album and Remind Me for Musical Event!

Carrie Fans Maniac robinannhunt's Avatar
    This was fun to read.

Concert Stars
    Ummm…Snoop Dogg can now call himself a CMA award nominee….seriously?! What is this world coming to?! I don’t think I’ll ever be able to forgive the CMA for that. Another thing I won’t be able to forgive? Leaving “Remind Me” off the list! The song was a number one smash for Brad Paisley and Carrie Underwood and was probably considered among many to be the frontrunner to win this year. Without the Paisley/Underwood smash included, it leaves the door open for the Chesney/McGraw hit or the Taylor Swift and The Civil Wars tune to take home the award.

HEY! That sounds like what I was said yesterday.
    Cps235, teesharky and liveasong like this.

Concert Stars
    Nice to see someone put into print the obvious. I know there are many different points of view (even shockingly right here on Carrie's Forums)lol, but I guess like they say "that's what makes the world go round".

Concert Stars
    As I said before, I am glad that people are noticing that Carrie got snubbed big time, and they are actually doing it without sounding rude. I know that these same people probably said the same thing when Carrie wasn't nominated for EOTY in 2010 but to continually do it makes them look bad.
    teesharky, AdamJ, Cps235 and 1 others like this.

•