Like Tree8Likes
  • 8 Post By opry051008

Thread: Lauren Alaina, ‘Eighteen Inches’ – Lyrics Uncovered (Carrie mention)

Carrie Guru

Lauren Alaina, ‘Eighteen Inches’ – Lyrics Uncovered (Carrie mention)

Read the entire article here:
    http://tasteofcountry.com/lauren-ala...inches-lyrics/

A superstar in her own right, Underwood wrote the tune with Kelley Lovelace and Ashley Gorley, with whom she has experienced success in the past, like on her No. 1 hit ‘All American Girl.’

“Carrie, Kelley Lovelace and I wrote this song a couple of years ago when we were writing for Carrie’s album,” Gorley tells Taste of Country of writing the ‘Eighteen Inches’ lyrics. “I think I was playing the chords and groove, and we were all tossing out melodies and lyrics, trying to find the right idea. The music sounded like a story song, and we ended up chasing the concept of young love and the crazy things it makes you do.”
    “The ending verse of the song where the baby is seven pounds and eighteen inches really hammered the story home,” Gorley says. “Melodically, it’s always easy with Carrie. She and I would roll out melodies back and forth, and she always knows how to phrase the lines to match perfectly with the melody. The only danger is when Carrie’s in the room, nothing ever seems too rangy or too tricky musically, so often when we finish a song, she’s the only one that can sing it. That’s really a testament to Lauren Alaina — she is a great singer and handles the range and melody of ‘Eighteen Inches’ with no problem.”

“Kelley and I were, of course, disappointed that Carrie didn’t record it for her album, but we were really excited when Lauren did it,” he admits. “We knew she was talented from seeing her on ‘American Idol,’ and it sounded awesome when we heard it on Lauren’s album. Carrie and 19 management had a huge hand in getting Lauren to record the song. I give them a lot of credit to recognize that the song was still special, even if it didn’t make it onto Carrie’s album, and to realize it would work perfectly for Lauren.”

Insane Carrie Fan utlovescarrie's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    I really love Eighteen Inches. I too wish Carrie would have recorded it but I do think that Lauren sings it beautifully and that it would have fit on SH or CR better then PO or BA.

Concert Stars
    aww nice compliments to both carrie and lauren!

•