• 13 Post By Ann055
  • 1 Post By kewlie78189
  • 1 Post By rainbow1
  • 1 Post By pklongbeach
  • 1 Post By jaylee50
  • 2 Post By Mirasa45A
  • 3 Post By pklongbeach
  • 2 Post By Suellen

Thread: Concert Revew: Underwood With Songwriters Give Night to Remember, Royale Boston

Concert Revew: Underwood With Songwriters Give Night to Remember, Royale Boston

Concert Review - Underwood with songwriters give night to remember

This was not the typical concert gig for Carrie Underwood. For starters, she was seated throughout the sold-out show. She also without her touring band. No need to worry as Underwood had a few friends onstage - songwriters, who have had a hand in writing the songs that has made Underwood a superstar.

This was the second go-round for the Country Music Association's Songwriter Series with Underwood being front and center following the highly successful outing of Kenny Chesney last year. Underwood was joined by show host Bob DiPiero, Luke Laird, Carey Barlowe, Hillary Lindsay and Brett James.

This was your old-fashioned Nashville guitar pull, meaning that everyone was seated on a stool on the stage with each artist (except for Underwood's guitarist and, for unknown reasons, songwriter Barlow not taking lead on songs) singing a song at a time in succession of where they sat on stage.

Each performer had a chance to introduce their songs as well.

Underwood was the reason the gig sold out so fast - there was no doubt about it with the crowd filled with young, mainly female teens. And with good reason. Host DiPiero called out Underwood as the best singer he has ever heard.

He just may be right. It is one thing to do the job in the studio where tricks can make the voices sound better than they really are. Underwood made it exceedingly clear she truly is a great singer. She was stellar on every song she performed, her voice soaring (Good Girl, the title track from her new disc) and laying a bit low (Temporary Home).

The acoustic setting gave Underwood the chance to change it up a bit from her band shows, giving a different interpretation of the songs from her CDs.

Underwood came off a bit understated, perhaps shy, in her comments introducing her songs. She tended not to amplify the origin of the songs too much.

Laird has a slew of hits and turned in a strong rendition of Drink In My Hand, a hit for Eric Church. Laird showcased a bit of a gritty voice, and it was easy to see the transition from his reading to that by Church. He also had a fun take on Blake Shelton and trace Adkins' hit Hillbilly Bone.

Brett James had by far the best of the male voices out there, probably not surprising that once upon a time the Oklahoma native had a recording career on his own. But he has done exceedingly well as a songwriter.

The only big misstep was his take on Cowboy Casanova, another Underwood hit. He said he had sung it in his living room and knew the song wasn't for him to sing. He proved all too accurate in a throwaway version that seemed not all that serious.

Hillary Lindsey has been Underwood's bedrock when it comes to songs. In fact, she has 14 songwriting credits on Underwood discs. Underwood had a strong turn on Two Black Cadillacs, from "Bad Girl," which she indicated hope for as a single.

Lindsey also had a strong voice, although you wouldn't know it based on her comments. She had the misfortune to follow Underwood's excellent reading of So Small in Underwood's first song of the night. Lindsey went overboard, knocing her own singing abilities, but the fact of the matter is, she has sung background vocals on many albums including Underwood's and has a good voice.

Lindsey also was borderline annoying in making three separate comments about needing to go to the bathroom. It was not funny on any occasion and needless.

DiPiero had the weakest voice of any of the performers, but fortunately his songwriting is commendable. He has the longest career as a songwriter and pulled out a few older songs such as Ricochet's Daddy's Money and more recently Montgomery Gentry's Gone and Tim McGraw's Southern Voice.

The night proved to be a real treat. Not only was it educational to learn the where the hits came from, but the chance to hear Underwood in a totally outside-her-comfort zone type setting also proved valuable. Underwood demonstrated quite clearly she was no studio creation. And she, in part, had her stage mates to thank for her success.

Concert Stars
    no studio creation is right...glad people are realizing that!
    rainbow1 likes this.

Concert Stars
    They got that right! Really great article, thanks Ann!!
    Ann055 likes this.

Concert Stars
    Absolutely true.
    It actually scares me that there are still so many in Nashville that are just now realizing what a good singer Carrie is.
    It is clear they have not been listening.
    And this is why "someone else" can be so highly praised for mediocre work.
    They really don't listen until they are forced to.
    Cathie Wynkoop likes this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Great article. Thanks Ann.
    Ann055 likes this.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    I was late listening to the "stream" and still haven't landed - so cool to watch / hear Carrie sing in such a casual atmosphere and still hit it out of the park time after time. Wish we could have heard her sing every song all on her own. There's just nothing she can't sing!! Loved her little take on "Pontoon" - thrilled for LBT for getting it but would have loved to hear Carrie totally on that one also. What an awesome night!!! Thanks for getting us the link!!

Carrie Guru
    In my opinion, there is NO better "LIVE" singer (Vocalist) than Carrie Underwood today. Her voice is so pure !

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirasa45A View Post
    In my opinion, there is NO better "LIVE" singer (Vocalist) than Carrie Underwood today. Her voice is so pure !
    This!
    I know it has become very politically correct around here to not "compare" and not "judge" and to "love equally".
    But I don't actually come here for that.
    I come here because I to believe Carrie to be a truly exceptional vocalist. Her beauty, her personality, her character aside: I am truly moved by that voice.
    So as much as I am thrilled that there is yet another person who realizes how good she really is, it comes with a bit of bitterness that she has been singing for these people for 7 years and only when they finally sit down and just listen, it's like a light goes off in their heads "oh this girl is different".
    Yes she is guys, YEs she is!

Carrie Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by pklongbeach View Post
    This!
    I know it has become very politically correct around here to not "compare" and not "judge" and to "love equally".
    But I don't actually come here for that.
    I come here because I to believe Carrie to be a truly exceptional vocalist. Her beauty, her personality, her character aside: I am truly moved by that voice.
    So as much as I am thrilled that there is yet another person who realizes how good she really is, it comes with a bit of bitterness that she has been singing for these people for 7 years and only when they finally sit down and just listen, it's like a light goes off in their heads "oh this girl is different".
    Yes she is guys, YEs she is!

To me, Carrie not winning the CMA, ACM Vocalist of the year was purely by design from the Country Music Community! They know that Carrie is the be BEST vocalist: they just do not want Carrie to win it 5 times or 6 times in a row !

Concert Stars
    That is probably true to an extent.
    The only problem is you still have to accept that each person still votes as an idividual. So they are still each declaring someone else better, for whatever reason that may be.
    I am sorry to have to admit that it goes back to that concept, for me, that she is viewed as "one of the young blond country singers". And when you level the field like that, you can come up with amillion reasons to vote for someone else.
    That is why, inviting others scorn as I do, I will always decare Carrie Underwood "Not just another blond country singer"!

Concert Stars
    Thanks Ann, loved that article and great to hear a songwriter admit that Carrie is the best singer he ever heard.
    Mirasa45A and Ann055 like this.

•