Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree79Likes

Thread: Roughstock - Single Review: Carrie Underwood - "Blown Away"

Junior Carrie Follower northtexas's Avatar

Roughstock - Single Review: Carrie Underwood - "Blown Away"

Single Review: Carrie Underwood - "Blown Away" | New Country Music, Listen to Songs & Video | Roughstock.com

In mainstream country music, fewer artists have a more consistent track record than Carrie Underwood. One of the few American Idol alumni to actually have a career after their first album, Underwood has gotten to her enviable position by striking the right balance of marketability and artistry. Her songs aren't overly challenging or risky; neither are they forgettable and bland. Over the course of four albums, she's gradually built up a little variety, whether it be tender ballads that show off the softer end of her big voice ("Temporary Home") or potent up-tempos that recall Shania Twain at her best ("Cowboy Casanova").
    That said, "Blown Away" finds her in territory that none of her prior singles have entered. It's far more pop than its predecessors, more grandiose, and far more risky. Like the gathering storm clouds she sings about, the production forms gradually throughout the first verse — synthesizer, pizzicato strings and chimes, then a wall of backing vocals, all building up to a soaring chorus. The overall thundrous production and echoed "blown away"s throughout also aid greatly in the dark, stormy feel.
    Taut, simple but effective lyrics convey the scene, easily one of the darkest storylines in any recent country song. A storm is brewing near an Oklahoma house, occupied by an abusive drunk father and his daughter. When a twister hits and kills said father, the daughter calls it "sweet revenge." Swept up in the wind are both the house (in the literal sense) and the painful memories of the past (in the metaphorical sense). For only two verses and a chorus, an incredible amount of detail and metaphor is packed in for maximum impact.
    "Blown Away" is the kind of song that comes along so rarely. It has all the markings of a career song — one of those songs that is remembered for years to come, like "The Dance." It's the kind of song that grabs hold of you from the first note and never lets go. It's the kind of song that makes itself known by sounding like absolutely nothing else on radio. It's the kind of song that provoked me to write a longer review than usual. I have rarely been this passionate about a single, but trust me on this one. "Blown Away" is a milestone song.

Huge Carrie Follower
    awesome. i was gonna post this as well

Junior Carrie Follower
    Concert Stars
    Wow what a great review.

Concert Stars
    Woohoo!

Concert Stars
    Amazing! Finally got someone to agree with us that this is a MILESTONE song! I think they even could have added AWARD WINNING and it wouldn't have hurt my feelers at all!

Concert Stars
    Wow, I am speechless. (and thats rare for me).
    I am so glad that this reviewer is obviously taken by the song. Swept away is so approriate.
    I am so glad they get the song like I do.
    Smokyiiis and Pi314CA like this.

Insane Carrie Fan CarrieUnderwoodismyHero's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Glad they enjoyed it! BA is truly a wonderful song!

Huge Carrie Follower
    this completely made my day. thanks roughstock
    rainbow1 and pklongbeach like this.

Huge Carrie Follower
    Concert Stars
    It is so rare to have a reviewer so openly biased in favor of a song. I am so very happy that someone is giving this song the kudos it deserves. The writers penned such a strong and elemental song, but knowing that they intended it for Carrie makes me want to hug them. No one else could have delivered this song. I love the comparrison to The Dance. Garth is another visionary not afriad to put his foot where no one elsedare to tread. Martina's Independence Day was a groundbreaking song with stellar vocals, but this song leaves the woman Carrie paid homage to far behind. The video was like the icing on top of the cake for me. It just showed the depth of this song so wonderfully. I can not say enough good things about this song and thankfully neither can this reviewer.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by bearball49 View Post
    It is so rare to have a reviewer so openly biased in favor of a song. I am so very happy that someone is giving this song the kudos it deserves. The writers penned such a strong and elemental song, but knowing that they intended it for Carrie makes me want to hug them. No one else could have delivered this song. I love the comparrison to The Dance. Garth is another visionary not afriad to put his foot where no one elsedare to tread. Martina's Independence Day was a groundbreaking song with stellar vocals, but this song leaves the woman Carrie paid homage to far behind. The video was like the icing on top of the cake for me. It just showed the depth of this song so wonderfully. I can not say enough good things about this song and thankfully neither can this reviewer.
    Very well said. Love the review.
    pklongbeach likes this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan conorlovescarrie:)'s Avatar
    Concert Stars
    That was such an amazing review! Loved it!

Concert Stars
    Wow, how many times do we ever get a reviewer that writes that kind of review for Carrie.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    So that's what Carrie's been doing - "gradually building up a little variety", while palming us off with all those "forgettable and bland" songs like "Before He Cheats" and "Just a Dream"", and those like "I Know You Won't" and "Flat On The Floor", which weren't "overly challenging"?

I think Carrie has acquired an AI "engineered celebrity" background and "small town sweet girl" personal image that have made some people expect her to be bland, forgettable and unchallenging.- and that expectation has too often been trotted out as routine assumption in ten thousand snap judgments, from serious reviewers, through award voters, to casual music blog comments. In fact, too often, the critics have been the ones who won't take risks, and won't look beyond their preconceptions, and seriously consider what they're listening to.

It's a good to see a convert though - and I hope he'll be joined by many more

Wow! What an amazing review! And Roughstock doesn't usually give Carrie great reviews, do they? I do disagree with some of their comments on her early material being safe, etc. But aside from that, incredible review!

I really do hope BA becomes what they call it here, a "career song". It truly does have the potential for it. Hopefully the risk pays off!
    nccountrygal likes this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    So that's what Carrie's been doing - "gradually building up a little variety", while palming us off with all those "forgettable and bland" songs like "Before He Cheats" and "Just a Dream"", and those like "I Know You Won't" and "Flat On The Floor", which weren't "overly challenging"?

I think Carrie has acquired an AI "engineered celebrity" background and "small town sweet girl" personal image that have made some people [i}expect[/i] her to be bland, forgettable and unchallenging.- and that expectation has too often been trotted out as routine assumption in ten thousand snap judgments, from serious reviewers, through award voters, to casual music blog comments. In fact, too often, the critics have been the ones who won't take risks, and won't look beyond their preconceptions, and seriously consider what they're listening to.

Well said! Love it!

Concert Stars
    I would not call BHC a bland song though I should have said.

EDIT: Wait, where did that "bland" remark come from for BHC. I don't see that in the review???

Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post

I think Carrie has acquired an AI "engineered celebrity" background and "small town sweet girl" personal image that have made some people expect her to be bland, forgettable and unchallenging.- and that expectation has too often been trotted out as routine assumption in ten thousand snap judgments, from serious reviewers, through award voters, to casual music blog comments. In fact, too often, the critics have been the ones who won't take risks, and won't look beyond their preconceptions, and seriously consider what they're listening to.

I think you misread - the reviewer says Carrie's earlier work wasn't overly-challenging or risky (which, yes, I totally disagree with), but he says at the same time her earlier work wasn't forgettable or bland. It seems like he's trying to say her earlier work was good, but didn't quite stand out enough. I disagree with that, too, but he was actually saying her earlier work was not forgettable or bland, even if it was safe or easy.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Yes, I apologize - I did misread the "neither were they bland and forgettable".
    I must have been guilty of using the snap judgment I'm accusing the critics of, Lol

However, I did find the tone of the first part of the review rather patronizing - although that might not have been the intention
    Ann055 likes this.

Concert Stars
    The reviewer is saying that though the previous material was not "overtly challenging or risky" it was "not" forgettable or bland either.
    And though I understand what he means by that, I completely disagree about "challenging or risky".
    I think both JTTW and BHC were tremendously risky.
    I have said many times that when I heard the first single by Carrie Underwood was going to have "Jesus.." in the title, I was sure we were sunk. Mainstream america was never going to get behind that. But she was so convincing and sincere it just flew! And then BHC!! Boy, now I thought for sure she lost all sense. And that flew even higher.
    Those were risky moves!!!!
    And it paid off bigtime.
    And now she is doing it again. Finally! And I pray it pays off again.

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by bearball49 View Post
    Great point regarding the depth of this song. It will take lots of views to fully appreciate the depth and layers and metaphors of this milestone song. I especially love Carrie's vision adding to the fullness of this song with her inputs on the production of it.
    rainbow1 and Smokyiiis like this.

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast