Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree113Likes

Thread: The Philippine Star: Carrie Underwood, The Country Idol

The Philippine Star: Carrie Underwood, The Country Idol

Carrie Underwood, the country idol - SOUNDS FAMILIAR By Baby A. Gil - The Philippine Star » News » Entertainment

It was former judge Simon Cowell, who made the prediction. Carrie Underwood will sell more than any winner of American Idol (AI). And he was proven right and that was one of the few instances when AI’s choice turned out perfect. Underwood’s bio as of this date carries very impressive stats.

Her first three albums, Some Hearts, Carnival Ride and Play On, have already sold over 14 million copies and boasted of 14 No. 1 singles. She has already won five Grammies and had been named Entertainer of the Year twice by the Academy of Country Music and Female Vocalist of the Year three times by the Country Music Association.

If this pace keeps up, it will not be long before the name Carrie will be mentioned in the same breath as Tammy, Reba and Loretta, those legendary ladies of country music, and nobody will be likely to think, what is Underwood doing in that list? I got the feeling that this is going to happen soon after listening to her fourth, latest, and I can say, best album, Blown Away.

If I remember right, the Carrie that we met in AI was a small town girl who took her first plane ride when she joined the contest in season four. She came up against country rocker Bo Bice in the finals. Today the Carrie of Blown Away is smart, sophisticated and judging from the cover pics, very glamorous.

Blown Away shows remarkable growth in her creativity since Play On two years ago and such daring in the choice and treatment of her songs. This girl is no pop music diva. She is a true artist. While she had gingerly tested the parameters of country music in her previous albums, she now totally breaks out of the boundaries. Not to be somebody else, but to reinvent the music to her own terms.

Carrie rocks hard in the opener and first single release Good Girl. She is all heartache in the ballad, Do You Think About Me. For young listeners, she gives friendly advice in Nobody Ever Told You. She goes all tender and sentimental about losing one’s mind in Forever Changed and introduces Caribbean to country with One Way Ticket.

This does not mean though that she totally neglects her roots. For fans who want something typically country, there are the radio friendly Leave Love Alone; Cupid’s Got A Shotgun, a jaunty jig that has the makings of a great next single; and the sweet Wine After Whiskey.

I do not know if any of these will be released as singles. Maybe not because they are not your usual country tunes. But believe you me, these are cuts that are sure to blow you away in Blown Away. The title song, Two Black Cadillacs, See You Again, Thank God For Hometowns, Good In Goodbye, and Who Are You.

The title track is a story about child abuse. Set during a storm, the young girl hopes the wind and rain can take the pain away. This is very strong material showcased in an ingenious arrangement that brings this song out of the realm of country music. It is almost epic and Carrie’s singing soars beautifully.

Two Black Cadillacs is also a strange choice. Given the lush orchestration, one initially gets the impression that this is a love song. It is in a way, but of a love gone wrong because here are a wife and a mistress plotting the murder of you know who. Very clever.

Next are my choices for her best vocals in the CD. Carrie has excellent command of her singing. It seems as though she knows instinctively when to pull back and just enjoy the nuances of the lyrics or when to get into power mode. Check out what she does with the charming country pop tune See You Again from the movie Chronicles of Narnia; the touching Thank God For Hometowns which I see as Carrie’s “home” song; and the soulful Good In Goodbye.

And now for the grand finale and also the best of them all. Remember how much we all loved Carrie’s Jesus Takes The Wheel? She puts one over that by sounding heavenly with the power ballad Who Are You. This girl really takes your breath away.

omg, it's a freakin' miracle! =))) The Philippine Star made an article about Carrie! <3 FINALLY!
    Ann055, rainbow1, Pi314CA and 1 others like this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann055 View Post
    Carrie Underwood, the country idol - SOUNDS FAMILIAR By Baby A. Gil - The Philippine Star » News » Entertainment

It was former judge Simon Cowell, who made the prediction. Carrie Underwood will sell more than any winner of American Idol (AI). And he was proven right and that was one of the few instances when AI’s choice turned out perfect. Underwood’s bio as of this date carries very impressive stats.

Her first three albums, Some Hearts, Carnival Ride and Play On, have already sold over 14 million copies and boasted of 14 No. 1 singles. She has already won five Grammies and had been named Entertainer of the Year twice by the Academy of Country Music and Female Vocalist of the Year three times by the Country Music Association.

If this pace keeps up, it will not be long before the name Carrie will be mentioned in the same breath as Tammy, Reba and Loretta, those legendary ladies of country music, and nobody will be likely to think, what is Underwood doing in that list? I got the feeling that this is going to happen soon after listening to her fourth, latest, and I can say, best album, Blown Away.

If I remember right, the Carrie that we met in AI was a small town girl who took her first plane ride when she joined the contest in season four. She came up against country rocker Bo Bice in the finals. Today the Carrie of Blown Away is smart, sophisticated and judging from the cover pics, very glamorous.

Blown Away shows remarkable growth in her creativity since Play On two years ago and such daring in the choice and treatment of her songs. This girl is no pop music diva. She is a true artist. While she had gingerly tested the parameters of country music in her previous albums, she now totally breaks out of the boundaries. Not to be somebody else, but to reinvent the music to her own terms.

Carrie rocks hard in the opener and first single release Good Girl. She is all heartache in the ballad, Do You Think About Me. For young listeners, she gives friendly advice in Nobody Ever Told You. She goes all tender and sentimental about losing one’s mind in Forever Changed and introduces Caribbean to country with One Way Ticket.

This does not mean though that she totally neglects her roots. For fans who want something typically country, there are the radio friendly Leave Love Alone; Cupid’s Got A Shotgun, a jaunty jig that has the makings of a great next single; and the sweet Wine After Whiskey.

I do not know if any of these will be released as singles. Maybe not because they are not your usual country tunes. But believe you me, these are cuts that are sure to blow you away in Blown Away. The title song, Two Black Cadillacs, See You Again, Thank God For Hometowns, Good In Goodbye, and Who Are You.

The title track is a story about child abuse. Set during a storm, the young girl hopes the wind and rain can take the pain away. This is very strong material showcased in an ingenious arrangement that brings this song out of the realm of country music. It is almost epic and Carrie’s singing soars beautifully.

Two Black Cadillacs is also a strange choice. Given the lush orchestration, one initially gets the impression that this is a love song. It is in a way, but of a love gone wrong because here are a wife and a mistress plotting the murder of you know who. Very clever.

Next are my choices for her best vocals in the CD. Carrie has excellent command of her singing. It seems as though she knows instinctively when to pull back and just enjoy the nuances of the lyrics or when to get into power mode. Check out what she does with the charming country pop tune See You Again from the movie Chronicles of Narnia; the touching Thank God For Hometowns which I see as Carrie’s “home” song; and the soulful Good In Goodbye.

And now for the grand finale and also the best of them all. Remember how much we all loved Carrie’s Jesus Takes The Wheel? She puts one over that by sounding heavenly with the power ballad Who Are You. This girl really takes your breath away.
    Wow. Great review. The reviewer really took time to listen of all the songs and review them with an open mind. Bravo to the reviewer from my old country. I am so proud of you.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by diva101 View Post
    omg, it's a freakin' miracle! =))) The Philippine Star made an article about Carrie! <3 FINALLY!
    Hi Diva, is Phil. Star big news syndicate in our country? I have not been back there for over ten years. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown View Post
    Hi Diva, is Phil. Star big news syndicate in our country? I have not been back there for over ten years. Thanks.
    yes It's one of the leading newspapers in the country, along with Manila bulletin and Philippine Daily Inquirer

Wonderful article! It is very well-written and well thought out. I love that the writer actually took the time to truly listen to each and every song.

Concert Stars
    Thanks Ann, great read. I hope you do not mind but I do copy your articles to put on other Carrie's sites; you really can find excellent articles on Carrie.

Quote Originally Posted by Suellen View Post
    Thanks Ann, great read. I hope you do not mind but I do copy your articles to put on other Carrie's sites; you really can find excellent articles on Carrie.

Oh, no, not at all! Share everything with Carrie Fans! Thanks!
    Suellen likes this.

Concert Stars
    now in the Philippines...amazing!

Remember how much we all loved Carrie’s Jesus Takes The Wheel? She puts one over that by sounding heavenly with the power ballad Who Are You. This girl really takes your breath away.

Who Are You its one of my favorite songs in the album ! I think WAY can be a single at some point ! If JTTW was a big hit , why not WAY ??

Concert Stars
    I think WAY has some of Carrie's best vocals on this album - she sounds very mature and has complete command of the material
    simonplay, rainbow1, Gator and 3 others like this.

yup, Baby Gil is one of the respected writer in music industry in the Phils. actually I know her personally
    rainbow1 and opry051008 like this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by elba2007 View Post
    yup, Baby Gil is one of the respected writer in music industry in the Phils. actually I know her personally
    Are you from the Phil.and where? I am from Davao, going home this August after 20 years. Great review, she seems to be well articulate.

mbh
    Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Wow! Fantastic review! I showed this to my Filipino-American friend and told me that, if, an artist is being reviewed by one of the leading newspapers in the Philippines that means Carrie is crossing over to INTERNATIONAL MAINSTREAM MARKET. So, congratulation to Carrie!

mbh
    Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by elba2007 View Post
    Thank you so much! Awesome!

Junior Carrie Follower abdulmajeed's Avatar
    Nice to know our local newspaper took notice. Of course, Carrie's Blown Away will be noticed. It shines like a diamond and glitters like gold in the middle of a garbage of albums of never ending remakes produced by our local "artists/singers" here. It's a sad reality that we have great singers here but not many original songs released by them. Remakes have brought our music industry down over the years.

yes It's one of the leading newspapers in the country, along with Manila bulletin and Philippine Daily Inquirer
    Yes it's true. Not the 1st time reading some article in the Phils. regarding Carrie infact some TV news also.
    rainbow1 and mbh like this.

A lil city in the middle of a lil island in the middle of a lil country in the middle of the sea
    WOW Ann! Can't believe you found this article before us... Ahaha... you're a LEGEND!

Wow! I love this writer now!
    Yay! Carrie is getting more attention in the country! She was in the front page of yahoo!Philippines last time... and now she has a article written by a big newspaper in the country!
    And the writer loved BA!!! YAY!!! i like how she mentioned every song in the album and described it!
    Though i think she's not aware that BA is the next single..

GO Carrie!!! come here now please
    mbh and Ann055 like this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Ann, you find the greatest articles. Thanks so much. I love that the writer loves "Who Are You". In fact the writer favors several of my favorite songs including "See You Again". Although it was not in The Chronicles of Narnia, it was initially written for it, according to one of Carrie's interviews. Great find.
    Ann055 likes this.

Junior Carrie Follower underwoodfanfrance's Avatar
    B.E.A.U.T.I.F.U.L pic !!!! Gorgeous Carrie !!!!!

•  
    Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast