• 5 Post By pklongbeach
  • 1 Post By Suellen
  • 3 Post By Mirasa45A
  • 2 Post By cyndi_sink
  • 2 Post By Mirasa45A

Thread: Live Shows, Reviews: Carrie Underwood - The Sydney Opera House - July 2

Live Shows, Reviews: Carrie Underwood - The Sydney Opera House - July 2

Carrie Underwood – The Sydney Opera House – July 2

Tonight I’m once again at the Sydney Opera House, an iconic venue I’ve been lucky enough to attend a number of concerts now, and every time the artists are more than ‘blown away’ (pun intended) by being able to have the opportunity to do play here. None more than tonight’s performer the gorgeous and extremely talented Carrie Underwood.

With artists the likes of Keith Urban and Taylor Swift taking this ‘new’ country pop / rock style genre to heights and selling out arenas all over Australia and the world, the country music of old is still there but it’s a thing of the past and saved for the veterans of that industry. This new modern updated country sound is more main stream than anything and if people could just realise that this ‘C’ word is not a dirty one and there is some amazing music around, and Carrie Underwood is definitely a part of this new breed. Here is a complete package, she has the look, her voice is pristine, her eight piece touring band is so tight, and the songs are completely relatable. I knew tonight was going to be great as while heading to my seat Bon Jovi’s ‘Livin’ On A Prayer’ is being blasted throughout the room, good start…

Taking the stage to the sold out Opera House, the band launches in to her newest single ‘Good Girl’ and it didn’t really slow down from there. Hearing this song which is in my opinion already rocked up, well, hearing it with three guitars in a live environment, let’s just say this one rocked and hard. Thank you for also bringing back a guitar solo, they are missed! The set tonight comprised of a cross section of all of her four albums, obviously focusing on her newest release ‘Blown Away’ which the crowd were completely in to, once again showing this genre is picking up speed and that’s a good thing. The biggest reactions came from the likes of ‘Wasted’ which kicked off her debut album and one of my personal favourites, ‘Last Name’ was amazing, I’ve never seen lighting take over the Opera House like that, it was a spectacle, and gave the song a real kick. Along with the lighting there were smoke machines that gave us that eerie feeling through her big ballad ‘Just A Dream’. Her voice just shines through; it’s a treat to listen to.

Her cover of Randy Travis’ ‘I Told You So’ was prefaced with a story of how she would listen to her sisters’ albums and that’s what gave her the drive to become what she is now, thanks Randy. She delivers this song like it was the last one she’d ever sing. Sure that leans back to the traditional country side a little, but I dug it. The crowd were on their feet for ‘Cowboy Casanova’ while we were then able to sit and take in a great acoustic section of the set. Crowd participation was in full swing with a great clap along for ‘Nobody Ever Told You’ and a few more, but then wasting no time, it was time to ‘Undo It’ which brought the energy back up. Then the customary story about Australia and our amazing music scene and tonight an interesting tribute in the form of a cover of the INXS classic ‘Never Tear Us Apart’ which was very well done, countrified a little substituting a slide guitar in place of the saxophone solo, it worked. Of course the crowd loved it, how could you not.

“Everybody has that one song that they’ll have to sing for the rest of their lives, and this is mine” as her first hit ‘Jesus Take The Wheel’ began, I always liked this song, but tonight in a live environment and when she absolutely belted out ‘How Great Thou Art’ mid song, now, I’m not a religious man, but Hallelujah… I actually got goose bumps. That’s a rare thing. I hope she keeps singing this song forever. It was getting close to the end of the night and you could see people waiting for a song, it came, and ‘Before He Cheats’ was special for a couple of reasons. The crowd pretty much sang every word of the song back to Carrie and the smile on her face was something to see. I don’t think she ever expected this kind of reaction and she was herself ‘Blown Away’ see, it just works for so many occasions…

Encore. Now, I’m a big softy at heart, and when she started the song that I’d been waiting for all night, ‘I Know You Won’t’ I was a happy camper. This is one of her massive ballads, on the albums it has power, but live with a band, wow, I could’ve left at that point, but no… one to go. Of course we are left with the album’s namesake and the pun I’ve been using throughout this review ‘Blown Away’ which was a perfect end to a perfect night of live music. I haven’t heard many sing better than Carrie Underwood and regardless of how she got her start or regardless of what you think of these reality shows (she won American Idol remember). This girl has talent and I’m so glad I got to witness that tonight. Wow. If you’re scrunching up your nose about this, maybe open your mind a little and check out this modern country vibe, you may be surprised what you find.

Also they listed the complete set list & have the official GG video on the site.

Concert Stars
    Thanks Ann for finding this! It did my heart good to read this!!!

This is what I wish so many of the critics would read and say, I think I will go to a concert by Carrie with an open mind and then write my review!
    Mirasa45A, Ann055, HuiZ and 1 others like this.

Huge Carrie Follower sweetsugarcandyman's Avatar
    what a fantastic review.

Concert Stars
    Well that's three great reviews from Aussie critics - they really know how to write them to get people's interest -
    nccountrygal and teesharky like this.

Concert Stars
    awesome!! love these australia reviews.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Just reading this gave me goosebumps. Thanks for posting.
    Ann055 likes this.

mbh
    Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann055 View Post
    Carrie Underwood – The Sydney Opera House – July 2

Tonight I’m once again at the Sydney Opera House, an iconic venue I’ve been lucky enough to attend a number of concerts now, and every time the artists are more than ‘blown away’ (pun intended) by being able to have the opportunity to do play here. None more than tonight’s performer the gorgeous and extremely talented Carrie Underwood.

With artists the likes of Keith Urban and Taylor Swift taking this ‘new’ country pop / rock style genre to heights and selling out arenas all over Australia and the world, the country music of old is still there but it’s a thing of the past and saved for the veterans of that industry. This new modern updated country sound is more main stream than anything and if people could just realise that this ‘C’ word is not a dirty one and there is some amazing music around, and Carrie Underwood is definitely a part of this new breed. Here is a complete package, she has the look, her voice is pristine, her eight piece touring band is so tight, and the songs are completely relatable. I knew tonight was going to be great as while heading to my seat Bon Jovi’s ‘Livin’ On A Prayer’ is being blasted throughout the room, good start…

Taking the stage to the sold out Opera House, the band launches in to her newest single ‘Good Girl’ and it didn’t really slow down from there. Hearing this song which is in my opinion already rocked up, well, hearing it with three guitars in a live environment, let’s just say this one rocked and hard. Thank you for also bringing back a guitar solo, they are missed! The set tonight comprised of a cross section of all of her four albums, obviously focusing on her newest release ‘Blown Away’ which the crowd were completely in to, once again showing this genre is picking up speed and that’s a good thing. The biggest reactions came from the likes of ‘Wasted’ which kicked off her debut album and one of my personal favourites, ‘Last Name’ was amazing, I’ve never seen lighting take over the Opera House like that, it was a spectacle, and gave the song a real kick. Along with the lighting there were smoke machines that gave us that eerie feeling through her big ballad ‘Just A Dream’. Her voice just shines through; it’s a treat to listen to.

Her cover of Randy Travis’ ‘I Told You So’ was prefaced with a story of how she would listen to her sisters’ albums and that’s what gave her the drive to become what she is now, thanks Randy. She delivers this song like it was the last one she’d ever sing. Sure that leans back to the traditional country side a little, but I dug it. The crowd were on their feet for ‘Cowboy Casanova’ while we were then able to sit and take in a great acoustic section of the set. Crowd participation was in full swing with a great clap along for ‘Nobody Ever Told You’ and a few more, but then wasting no time, it was time to ‘Undo It’ which brought the energy back up. Then the customary story about Australia and our amazing music scene and tonight an interesting tribute in the form of a cover of the INXS classic ‘Never Tear Us Apart’ which was very well done, countrified a little substituting a slide guitar in place of the saxophone solo, it worked. Of course the crowd loved it, how could you not.

“Everybody has that one song that they’ll have to sing for the rest of their lives, and this is mine” as her first hit ‘Jesus Take The Wheel’ began, I always liked this song, but tonight in a live environment and when she absolutely belted out ‘How Great Thou Art’ mid song, now, I’m not a religious man, but Hallelujah… I actually got goose bumps. That’s a rare thing. I hope she keeps singing this song forever. It was getting close to the end of the night and you could see people waiting for a song, it came, and ‘Before He Cheats’ was special for a couple of reasons. The crowd pretty much sang every word of the song back to Carrie and the smile on her face was something to see. I don’t think she ever expected this kind of reaction and she was herself ‘Blown Away’ see, it just works for so many occasions…

Encore. Now, I’m a big softy at heart, and when she started the song that I’d been waiting for all night, ‘I Know You Won’t’ I was a happy camper. This is one of her massive ballads, on the albums it has power, but live with a band, wow, I could’ve left at that point, but no… one to go. Of course we are left with the album’s namesake and the pun I’ve been using throughout this review ‘Blown Away’ which was a perfect end to a perfect night of live music. I haven’t heard many sing better than Carrie Underwood and regardless of how she got her start or regardless of what you think of these reality shows (she won American Idol remember). This girl has talent and I’m so glad I got to witness that tonight. Wow. If you’re scrunching up your nose about this, maybe open your mind a little and check out this modern country vibe, you may be surprised what you find.

Also they listed the complete set list & have the official GG video on the site.
    Superb review! Read this - COUNTRY UNIVERSE! Thank you so much, Australia! This is what "Carrieflattsfan" and me were trying to point out in the thread of the review of the song "Blown Away" by COUNTRY UNIVERSE.
    lab likes this.

Concert Stars
    Fantastic! thank you, Ann!!
    Ann055 likes this.

Concert Stars
    Thanks so much for this.
    Sometimes they really get Carrie.
    I am so surprsied that more don't, but I don't care. When a review like this comes along, I know exactly what they are feeling cause I have seen her live and I felt the same way.
    When she did JTTW/HGTA at the Hollywood Bowl I couldn't even call out at the end I was so choked up.
    I am just so glad when someone gets her and has the courage to admit it.
    Gator, DizzyDollyDee, mbh and 2 others like this.

Concert Stars
    Thanks Ann, love this review.
    Ann055 likes this.

Carrie Guru
    I haven’t heard many sing better than Carrie Underwood and regardless of how she got her start or regardless of what you think of these reality shows (she won American Idol remember).
    I love the statement above, especially the one that I underlined. Love it.
    jaylee50, mbh and lab like this.

lab
    Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Great review!!! AWESOME!!!

Junior Carrie Follower cyndi_sink's Avatar

Awesome Review

I am So glad they got Our Carrie, I GOT GOOSEBUMPS, reading about His Goosebumps, I know what he is talking about, some of those notes she hits will make the hair stand up on ur head, give u goosies and BRING U UP OUT OF THAT CHAIR!!!!! Just ask my six foot four husband! : ) This woman is SO BLESSED VOCALLY!!! WOW!!!
    DizzyDollyDee and Mirasa45A like this.

Carrie Guru
    I had the good fortune to see Nana Mouskouri LIVE during her prime and also Dame Shirley Bassey LIVE also at her prime, and yet, I do think Carrie Underwood is BETTER -- because Carrie is more diverse in her songs: Ballads, Pop Country, Traditional Country, Pop, Gospel, and Rock & Roll in which she sings them in one LIVE concert. This, to me, is so very special.
    Gator and mbh like this.

Nice post great review.

Concert Stars
    amazing review!!

•