Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree386Likes

Thread: Country Universe - Blown Away review

Country Universe - Blown Away review

Single Review: Carrie Underwood, "Blown Away"

Four albums into her career, Carrie Underwood’s career growth has been fairly stunning.

It’s hard to imagine that the talent-show winner who sang “Jesus Take the Wheel” would morph into a fully fledged pop superstar with speaker-rattling pop-rock songs like “Good Girl” and “Blown Away.”

While the evolution has been fascinating to watch, the problem is that someone who was thought of as the next female country superstar has effectively left country music behind and moved on to bigger things, and it’s a loss for the genre.

“Blown Away,” Underwood’s new single, has some of the most interesting lyrics she’s had to work with in some time, courtesy of writers Josh Kear and Chris Tompkins. It borrows a little from the Miranda Lambert songbook, where an abusive father is made to account for his sins with death by tornado. While it’s a bit more passive than a Lambert song (she would have shot the SOB a few times before letting the twister carry him away), there is a satisfying sense of Old Testament-style vengeance to it.

Many of the main story elements are absent – the age of the narrator, exactly what the father did that was so awful – but there’s still plenty create some vivid imagery. Much like Martina McBride’s “Independence Day” never reveals the actual fate of the mother, “Blown Away” lets listeners fill in their own details.

As noted though, this is not being sung by Carrie Underwood, Country Singer. Instead, this is Carrie Underwood, International Pop Diva, and the song is glitzed up and glossed over to make it pop radio-ready. It’s been so thoroughly produced and sanitized that there isn’t a trace of a country song left in “Blown Away.” There have been “country” remixes of Kelly Clarkson singles that sound more traditional than this one.

The frustrating thing is that the gloss is so uncalled for. The altered vocals, the bombastic instrumentation, those things just take away from the vocals. It’s all well and good if the singer is Katy Perry or Ke$ha, as they need all the help they can get. But Carrie Underwood? Aside from a few impressive and effortless high notes that serve as a reminder of her capabilities, her vocal abilities are effectively buried.

Pop music today is very restrictive – possibly more so than country music – and a certain type of sound is needed to get significant airplay. So if the idea behind the song was to make Underwood sound like every other pop singer out there, then it’s a success. The downside, though, is that everything that made her special in the first place is getting lost in the process.

Grade: B-
    Country Universe – A Country Music Blog » Single Review: Carrie Underwood, “Blown Away”

Thanks to Windmills for tweeting about this review

Concert Stars
    It didn't borrow anything from Miranda Lambert!! Carrie can't win with the critics, so whatever!!!
    pklongbeach likes this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow1 View Post
    It didn't borrow anything from Miranda Lambert!! Carrie can't win with the critics, so whatever!!!
    Who cares? At least she has an incredible fan base!

Good Girl -> #1 Country Single & Platinum Single & CMT Video of the Year & #1 on CMT's and GAC's Top 20 Countdown Charts for weeks!

I mean... Miranda have all the support of the critics, but her numbers and stats are nowhere near Carrie's!
    Carrieroxmysox2011 likes this.

Concert Stars
    It just irks me, that they always bring Miranda into the mix!!

Is there ANYTHING that is not borrowed from Miranda?

Concert Stars
    Borrowed or not, Carrie Underwood ALWAYS does it better. ALWAYS.
    rainbow1, hjj, maddkat and 6 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by rainbow1 View Post
    It just irks me, that they always bring Miranda into the mix!!

Have you read their review on Miranda's current single? There was no comparison done, but they referenced/mentioned Taylor in it. I hate reviews like that.

I dont care if the song its country or pop ! The only part I take is "if the idea behind the song was to make Underwood sound like every other pop singer out there, then it’s a success" THAT ITS ALL I WANT FOR CARRIE ! SUCCESS !

When I'm not interested in an artist, I just stay away from their news and hardly venture into any discussion about the artist, even if my opinions are negative ones.

But sometimes, some of these critics are just making it difficult.

Concert Stars
    It doesn't sound like country or pop. It's an experimental song. It's its own genre. You can't pigeonhole it into anything.

The production doesn't take anything away from it. It makes the focus of the song the song rather than the genre the song is in. We all know artists who throw in random instruments specifically to get played on a certain radio station. Carrie didn't do that here because the genre doesn't matter. It's the song and the power it carries.

This review is beyond picky. Maybe there are legitimate criticisms for this song, but you can feel the critic grasping straws and straining to find something wrong.

I can write a review where I say what's good about BA and what's not so hot about it. BA isn't my favorite song on the album, so there are criticisms I have for it, and I can tell you them in an honest way. That's not what this critic's doing. This critic is searching for reasons to lower the song's grade. And like I said, I'm not saying that the song is perfect, but c'mon, you guys see what I mean, right? He's reaching.

Sorry, you're trying too hard, Country Universe.

Grade: D-

Ultimate Carrie Fan bigbluegrl23's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    honestly, this song REALLY pushes the boundaries (which means it could potentially be gigantic and stand the test of time). unfortunately, some reviewers don't know how to handle pushing boundaries the way carrie continually does in a genre that is starting to really bore me.
    Becca

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire2004 View Post
    Have you read their review on Miranda's current single? There was no comparison done, but they referenced/mentioned Taylor in it. I hate reviews like that.
    Yes, I did read it, the one that gave her an F?! They said the tough girl thing was getting a little old.

Concert Stars
    Kelly Clarkson songs may be remixed for country but to me her vocals will never be country sounding.

I wonder if a singer with a heavy twang had sung blown away with this production would that have made a difference as to whether this reviewer deems it country sounding or not?

I think Carrie is freer and more confident as an artist than she's ever been. She has taken Blown Away and has reflected the drama of the song in the arrangement and instrumentation without regard for genre or opinion. It was a bold move for sure but this review is a total waste really - it doesn't review the song at all - it just went with the obviousness of the pop sound and we get they don't like the production. Taylor Swift has been producing whole albums that are nothing but pop and she gets country entertainer awards. Next.

IMO, every single production element, instrument, sound, etc, was meticulously placed into this song to add to the story, and it all accomplishes just that. Like Nicole said, this reviewer is really reaching to find something to criticize here.

Personally, I'm really glad Carrie isn't letting critics keep her locked inside a little box. She is one of few people right now in country music who is experimenting with her music in ways that haven't really been done before, but some people can't wrap their heads around it. Like Carrie has always said, a good song is a good song no matter which genre it fits into. If only country critics could open up their minds to understand that.

Also, I could see critics making Miranda comparisons to a song like Cupid's Got a Shotgun, but Blown Away really has absolutely nothing to do with Miranda. There was absolutely no legitimate reason to bring her up.

Junior Carrie Follower northtexas's Avatar
    Considering that Sam Gazdziak was a long time contributer to The9513 I'm surprised that he gave her a B-.
    judes, rainbow1, HuiZ and 2 others like this.

since this thread currently is the thread that seems that is getting comment on at the moment i thought i should mention tasteofcountry nights might be playing BA SOON

Free Online Country Music Radio Stations - Taste of Country

BA is in the lead by 57% and the online tasteofcountry poll has closed
    judes and rainbow1 like this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by northtexas View Post
    Considering that Sam Gazdziak was a long time contributer to The9513 I'm surprised that he gave her a B-.
    I did not know that ,but while reading the review I just kept thinking that it sounded like something that would be written over at The9513.Now I know why.The beauty of BA ( the song and cd) is that Carrie was thinking outside the box they like to put her in. Thus making it all the more interesting.

The Miranda thing is just absurd.Not saying anything else about her.My mother taught me the old rule if can't say anything nice...
    DaisyTweets, Ann055, Gator and 3 others like this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by allamericangirl8 View Post
    It doesn't sound like country or pop. It's an experimental song. It's its own genre. You can't pigeonhole it into anything.

The production doesn't take anything away from it. It makes the focus of the song the song rather than the genre the song is in. We all know artists who throw in random instruments specifically to get played on a certain radio station. Carrie didn't do that here because the genre doesn't matter. It's the song and the power it carries.

This review is beyond picky. Maybe there are legitimate criticisms for this song, but you can feel the critic grasping straws and straining to find something wrong.

I can write a review where I say what's good about BA and what's not so hot about it. BA isn't my favorite song on the album, so there are criticisms I have for it, and I can tell you them in an honest way. That's not what this critic's doing. This critic is searching for reasons to lower the song's grade. And like I said, I'm not saying that the song is perfect, but c'mon, you guys see what I mean, right? He's reaching.

Sorry, you're trying too hard, Country Universe.

Grade: D-
    Oh I would love it if you would consider posting this exact post on their site!!!! Pretty, pretty please with a cherry on top?????

I think what irritates me the most is the constant comparisons. This song is nothing like a Miranda song and has been said countless times, Carrie does it better. If this reviewer is ragging on Carrie for leaving the genre, then what in sam hill would he say about SWSRN? One who never was in the genre to begin with but still continues to put up the facade! I'm so over the comparisons and as if that's the only way to write a review!!!

Reading a review like this just makes me want to fight and do everything in my power as a fan to make this song the biggest of Carrie's career. So every poll there is, man, I'm gonna be voting like crazy and requesting like crazy!!!! This is one GREAT song and it deserves to be rewarded and treated as such!

PS. Allamericangirl8, please post your post over at Country Universe
    !
    Pi314CA, rainbow1 and pklongbeach like this.

Concert Stars
    why oh why do they always bring Miranda into stuff...dumb critics...

Concert Stars
    Here's my comment on that review:

I respectively disagree with this review. Carrie Underwood would be the first to say that she is in her own separate “bubble” of country as is every single country music artist. Each stands in their individual corner, i.e. traditional BEER and TRACTOR country (good Lord can we please stop?), pop country, instrumentalists, etc., etc. Like someone previously stated, you would need to measure the entire album before making a bold statement that Carrie has put on her Goodbye Shoes to country music. She has not done that, nor will she ever, as she has repeatedly said. She is testing, she is reaching out for so much more with this album. She was criticized early on for NOT doing more, and now she’s criticized as she is striving for more. The references made in the review to over-production are especially insensitive to the lyric of the song. The tempo and instrumentation and vocal “echo” is all a part of the AUDIO visualization going on as the storm intensifies. This song begs it. I find it one of the most intriguing songs on the album. I’ve listened to the entire album. It is extremely versatile and quite definitely has something for everyone.

•  
    Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast