Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 149
Like Tree386Likes

Thread: Country Universe - Blown Away review

  1. #41
    Insane Carrie Fan Marie2011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    4,862
    Carrie Underwood vs. Little Big Town – The Showdown

    vote carrie fans vote CU is currently losing to little big town. vote people if you want a reason to vote i'll give you a reason because the winner of the poll gets played on taste of country nights which is featured on 34 different country radio stations, they play the winner of the poll around midnight eastern time. and then the winner of the poll advances in two the next round for LBT it would be round 2, and for CU it would be round 3. so vote people. and i should also mention that you can vote ONCE EVERY hour, and that you can also call 888) 678-9995 to vote.

  • #42
    Obsessed Carrie Fan cyberzoney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,171
    Concert Stars
    If Country radio broadly plays a song than it must be a country song. What simpler logic can there be than that.
    pklongbeach likes this.

  • #43
    Carrie Guru epicamends's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    12,380
    At the end of the day, can anyone really picture any of today's current pop singers releasing a song about a drunk, abusive dad, and his daughter leaving him to his fate in a twister? Yeah, I didn't think so.

    Sonically, the song might not sound like traditional country, but lyrically, it's as country as it gets.

    The notion that Carrie doesn't care about country music anymore is the most frustrating part for me. If they'd actually bothered to listen to the entire album, they'd know that's not true. If they bothered to listen when Carrie talks about how much respect she has for the genre and all the people in it, they'd know that's not true. If they bothered to notice how much Carrie goes out of her way to promote the genre in other areas where it might not be as popular (pop award shows, other countries like England, etc), they'd know that's not true.

    But heaven forbid they actually open up their minds and realize that country music can be experimental and use influences from other genres. No, it must be kept into a tiny little box, where every song is about drinking, tractors and trucks.
    Suellen, judes, Ann055 and 10 others like this.

  • #44
    Ultimate Carrie Fan bigbluegrl23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    6,412
    Concert Stars
    Carrie isn't saying **** you to country music. she's saying **** you to the critics. and I'm happy for her.
    Becca

  • #45
    Insane Carrie Fan judes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    new york
    Posts
    4,545
    Concert Stars
    I always thought Country Universe was a fair blog and gave interesting and insightful reviews but after reading the reviews for Luke Bryans girl songs and that got praised , Miranda's latest song that got an F and reading this review, I don't think I'll bother going over there again.

  • #46
    Insane Carrie Fan carebear4eva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Waterloo, On
    Posts
    5,890
    I gotta say I don't buy into this whole "lyrics are country" argument. Genres of music are based on instrumentation not subject matter. Sure certain themes predominate, but that is mainly because of the demographics associated with each genre. Tractors are a common country theme because country music is popular in the agrarian belt. But if Lil Wayne spit out a verse on tractors, it wouldn't be a country song.

    At the end of the day, can anyone really picture any of today's current pop singers releasing a song about a drunk, abusive dad, and his daughter leaving him to his fate in a twister? Yeah, I didn't think so.
    No, but that proves nothing. Even if GaGa recorded a song on the subject while wearing a lobster on her head, it still wouldn't be country because she'd have her kicking monster beat and GaGa production.

    As for the actual classification of BA, I definitely agree that it's not country at all. It's certainly got a lot of pop in it but the strongest influence I feel it's got is something orchestral. It's definitely something very new and very different.
    JB172 likes this.

  • #47
    Ultimate Carrie Fan bigbluegrl23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    6,412
    Concert Stars
    It truly is the case that any other artist can release a pop song (lady a, Taylor, Kenny) but if Carrie does it, it's put down.
    becca

  • #48
    Insane Carrie Fan carebear4eva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Waterloo, On
    Posts
    5,890
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbluegrl23 View Post
    It truly is the case that any other artist can release a pop song (lady a, Taylor, Kenny) but if Carrie does it, it's put down.
    becca
    Amen.

    I sometimes feel that we may be magnifying the amount that people "put it down", though. It's all in our head

    The fact is that her least country songs have also gone to #1 (AAG, GG). Sure, a bunch of reviewers bemoan the destruction she's bringing to country, but really, no one else seems to care.

    But Taylor can basically release an album that's 100% pop and still be cheered on by those suckers in Nashville. She's innovative, Carrie's detrimental. Mlargh.

  • #49
    Carrie Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    13,042
    Quote Originally Posted by carebear4eva View Post
    Amen.

    I sometimes feel that we may be magnifying the amount that people "put it down", though. It's all in our head

    The fact is that her least country songs have also gone to #1 (AAG, GG). Sure, a bunch of reviewers bemoan the destruction she's bringing to country, but really, no one else seems to care.

    But Taylor can basically release an album that's 100% pop and still be cheered on by those suckers in Nashville. She's innovative, Carrie's detrimental. Mlargh
    .

    I agree !

  • #50
    Carrie Guru
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    17,945
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by carebear4eva View Post
    I gotta say I don't buy into this whole "lyrics are country" argument. Genres of music are based on instrumentation not subject matter. Sure certain themes predominate, but that is mainly because of the demographics associated with each genre. Tractors are a common country theme because country music is popular in the agrarian belt. But if Lil Wayne spit out a verse on tractors, it wouldn't be a country song.



    No, but that proves nothing. Even if GaGa recorded a song on the subject while wearing a lobster on her head, it still wouldn't be country because she'd have her kicking monster beat and GaGa production.

    As for the actual classification of BA, I definitely agree that it's not country at all. It's certainly got a lot of pop in it but the strongest influence I feel it's got is something orchestral. It's definitely something very new and very different.

    Lil Wayne singing/rapping about tractors. LOL

    I totally agree with you on the whole lyric thing.

  • #51
    Insane Carrie Fan liveasong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Montreal, QC
    Posts
    5,692
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by carebear4eva View Post
    Amen.

    I sometimes feel that we may be magnifying the amount that people "put it down", though. It's all in our head

    The fact is that her least country songs have also gone to #1 (AAG, GG). Sure, a bunch of reviewers bemoan the destruction she's bringing to country, but really, no one else seems to care.

    But Taylor can basically release an album that's 100% pop and still be cheered on by those suckers in Nashville. She's innovative, Carrie's detrimental. Mlargh.
    Awe... Too bad I was a pop fan before Carrie introduced me to the country music world!

    Blown Away's sound might not be really country, but its theme is!

  • #52
    Carrie Guru pklongbeach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Long Beach, California
    Posts
    18,901
    Concert Stars
    My only issue with the "calling out" of the pop influnance (which to me is ver evident) is the fat that you can not have it both ways. When you are herolding and praising another young lady in the "country genre" for making pop music but are going to suggest that Carrie is "a problem" is is just silly sounding.
    Either you are ok with the pop infuance at your precious format or you are not. but you don't get it both ways.

  • #53
    Carrie Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    13,042
    Quote Originally Posted by pklongbeach View Post
    My only issue with the "calling out" of the pop influnance (which to me is ver evident) is the fat that you can not have it both ways. When you are herolding and praising another young lady in the "country genre" for making pop music but are going to suggest that Carrie is "a problem" is is just silly sounding.
    Either you are ok with the pop infuance at your precious format or you are not. but you don't get it both ways.

    It agree !

  • #54
    Carrie Guru pklongbeach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Long Beach, California
    Posts
    18,901
    Concert Stars
    I was so upset I misspelled about every other word. But you get my drift.
    judes likes this.

  • #55
    Ultimate Carrie Fan bigbluegrl23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    6,412
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by carebear4eva View Post
    I gotta say I don't buy into this whole "lyrics are country" argument. Genres of music are based on instrumentation not subject matter. Sure certain themes predominate, but that is mainly because of the demographics associated with each genre. Tractors are a common country theme because country music is popular in the agrarian belt. But if Lil Wayne spit out a verse on tractors, it wouldn't be a country song.



    No, but that proves nothing. Even if GaGa recorded a song on the subject while wearing a lobster on her head, it still wouldn't be country because she'd have her kicking monster beat and GaGa production.

    As for the actual classification of BA, I definitely agree that it's not country at all. It's certainly got a lot of pop in it but the strongest influence I feel it's got is something orchestral. It's definitely something very new and very different.
    this is actually pretty true. if lyrics meant everything "pumped up kicks" could be a country song.
    Becca

  • #56
    Carrie Guru pklongbeach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Long Beach, California
    Posts
    18,901
    Concert Stars
    Otherwise I think hs is pretty on target.
    We knew this was going to be very different sounding at country radio. We better just prepare ourselves for some comments about it.
    I love the song and I completely agree with all of you who feel like country music is not only really stale and boring right now but is also a living changing thing that needs to change with time or will die.
    You can only have so many songs like Mirandas or Bryants before you need something to clean the palette.
    And even taylors music stands out against the stale stereotype.
    Everytime Ours comes on it is like a breath of fresh air.
    I feel the same way about Carries music.

  • #57
    Ultimate Carrie Fan supercarriefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,216
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbluegrl23 View Post
    It truly is the case that any other artist can release a pop song (lady a, Taylor, Kenny) but if Carrie does it, it's put down.
    becca
    The critics weren't that kind of Lady A when reviewing their latest album, and Sugarland was slammed for their last album. So, I wouldn't say that anyone but Carrie gets away with it . The person that gets away with it the most is Taylor because the critics praise her heavily for her sound while picking on random others for even the slightest foray into the pop realm.

  • #58
    Carrie Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    13,042
    Quote Originally Posted by supercarriefan View Post
    The critics weren't that kind of Lady A when reviewing their latest album, and Sugarland was slammed for their last album. So, I wouldn't say that anyone but Carrie gets away with it . The person that gets away with it the most is Taylor because the critics praise her heavily for her sound while picking on random others for even the slightest foray into the pop realm.

    Ha...ha..ha... her "Pitchy" sound

  • #59
    Carrie Guru epicamends's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    12,380
    I disagree about lyrics not having a factor in making a song country. They are not the sole element in defining which genre a song belongs to, of course, but they do play somewhat of a factor in certain instances. And this song is one of them, IMO. Country music is not just about the instruments - it's a way of life. Certain values, geographic regions, etc, are tied to the genre. I think the problem with labeling a song "country" based solely on its instruments is that any old song could be remixed to include a fiddle, banjo, etc, but it would be a fake representation of the genre. I don't believe in slapping on a "country" instrument simply to get a song played on a certain format. That seems insincere, so I am hesitant to say that instrumentation is the sole factor that makes a song country. I think lyrics and music both play a factor in it.

  • #60
    Insane Carrie Fan judes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    new york
    Posts
    4,545
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by epicamends View Post
    I disagree about lyrics not having a factor in making a song country. They are not the sole element in defining which genre a song belongs to, of course, but they do play somewhat of a factor in certain instances. And this song is one of them, IMO. Country music is not just about the instruments - it's a way of life. Certain values, geographic regions, etc, are tied to the genre. I think the problem with labeling a song "country" based solely on its instruments is that any old song could be remixed to include a fiddle, banjo, etc, but it would be a fake representation of the genre. I don't believe in slapping on a "country" instrument simply to get a song played on a certain format. That seems insincere, so I am hesitant to say that instrumentation is the sole factor that makes a song country. I think lyrics and music both play a factor in it.
    I agree and an example for me would be Kelly Clarksons Mr Know It All - it almost sounded comical to me - the country instrumentation behind a POP song sung with POP vocals - it just didn't work even if the song is good - perhaps those that listen to POP would think it's great but for me as a country listener - the song sounded dumbed down as Carrie would say and is the precise reason she won't remix her songs because that's what can happen to it.
    Gator, HuiZ and Pi314CA like this.


  •  
    Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. Country Universe Album Review for Blown Away
      By Smokyiiis in forum Carrie Underwood Times
      Replies: 25
      Last Post: 05-04-2012, 06:16 AM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •