Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree386Likes

Thread: Country Universe - Blown Away review

Concert Stars
    The last few reviews of singles on Miranda's album have not been favorable to Miranda. I really hope none of Carrie's fans make arguments on the Country Universe view that reflect badly on Carrie as Miranda fans did on her review. It only comes back to haunt them. Several of the commenters have already said that the song is more reminiscent of Concrete Angels than it is of Miranda's songs anyway, so it's not like it hasn't already been said. Stay calm....this too shall pass.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokyiiis View Post
    The last few reviews of singles on Miranda's album have not been favorable to Miranda. I really hope none of Carrie's fans make arguments on the Country Universe view that reflect badly on Carrie as Miranda fans did on her review. It only comes back to haunt them. Several of the commenters have already said that the song is more reminiscent of Concrete Angels than it is of Miranda's songs anyway, so it's not like it hasn't already been said. Stay calm....this too shall pass.
    Some of those comments at Country Universe also said the subject matter been done before so nothing new. Well the subject matter about an abusive father or person may have been done before but it certaintly hasn't been done like this song. I think the lyrics in BA are some of the best written in my opinion. The production of the song may not sound specifically country but I don't know if I would classify it as pop. Its different which to me makes this song interesting. Also, the reviewer brought up that we did not know the age of the narrator. Why would we need to know that? I guess I don't understand why this is a flaw of the song. Anyways, this song is one of my favorites on the album and I hope this song is hugh for Carrie.
    Smokyiiis, Pi314CA, Gator and 4 others like this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by nccountrygal View Post
    Some of those comments at Country Universe also said the subject matter been done before so nothing new. Well the subject matter about an abusive father or person may have been done before but it certaintly hasn't been done like this song. I think the lyrics in BA are some of the best written in my opinion. The production of the song may not sound specifically country but I don't know if I would classify it as pop. Its different which to me makes this song interesting. Also, the reviewer brought up that we did not know the age of the narrator. Why would we need to know that? I guess I don't understand why this is a flaw of the song. Anyways, this song is one of my favorites on the album and I hope this song is hugh for Carrie.
    There is not one part of what you said that I don't agree with. I gravitate back to this song over and over and over again. My hubby is sick of it already I've played it so much. I really agree that it is hard to classify this song in any genre. I personally think Carrie's aim is to start her own genre (LOL)!
    nccountrygal and judes like this.

Concert Stars
    That is bs! Miranda never wrote a song about a twister or abusive father. I can see the reference to Martinas Independence Day but not miranda? They are crazy!

But guys they gave Mirandas new song an F grade so by comparison, this is a decent score. Lol

It is not a pop song to me. It sounds much more country then GG did.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by allamericangirl8 View Post
    It doesn't sound like country or pop. It's an experimental song. It's its own genre. You can't pigeonhole it into anything.

The production doesn't take anything away from it. It makes the focus of the song the song rather than the genre the song is in. We all know artists who throw in random instruments specifically to get played on a certain radio station. Carrie didn't do that here because the genre doesn't matter. It's the song and the power it carries.

This review is beyond picky. Maybe there are legitimate criticisms for this song, but you can feel the critic grasping straws and straining to find something wrong.

I can write a review where I say what's good about BA and what's not so hot about it. BA isn't my favorite song on the album, so there are criticisms I have for it, and I can tell you them in an honest way. That's not what this critic's doing. This critic is searching for reasons to lower the song's grade. And like I said, I'm not saying that the song is perfect, but c'mon, you guys see what I mean, right? He's reaching.

Sorry, you're trying too hard, Country Universe.

Grade: D-
    BA isn't my favorite song on album either and to be totally honest it isn't close to being my favorite song on the album but I don't get the pop/rock thing either, now I do agree that the song isn't country but as you said I don't think the song fits into any one genre.

As for this comment that was in the article

While the evolution has been fascinating to watch, the problem is that someone who was thought of as the next female country superstar has effectively left country music behind and moved on to bigger things, and it’s a loss for the genre

How in the world does one song or even two since GG is mentioned too all of a sudden mean that she has moved on to bigger things, personally to me this is just a review to get fans in a tizzy which is exactly what it has done.
    supercarriefan likes this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by JB172 View Post
    BA isn't my favorite song on album either and to be totally honest it isn't close to being my favorite song on the album but I don't get the pop/rock thing either, now I do agree that the song isn't country but as you said I don't think the song fits into any one genre.

As for this comment that was in the article

While the evolution has been fascinating to watch, the problem is that someone who was thought of as the next female country superstar has effectively left country music behind and moved on to bigger things, and it’s a loss for the genre

How in the world does one song or even two since GG is mentioned too all of a sudden mean that she has moved on to bigger things, personally to me this is just a review to get fans in a tizzy which is exactly what it has done.

Because the reviewer has not taken the time to listen to the entire album. I can assure you of this or he could never have made that statement! That's why I told him that Carrie hasn't put on her GOODBYE SHOES to country music as he's see if he listened to the full album....she actually really does have something for everyone....i.e. reggae, deep traditional country, catchy upbeat country, etc.

Here's windmills tweet about this review:

@WindmillsMusic
    Country Universe had the guy who wrote the 2nd laughable (then deleted) review of Cowboy Casanova at the 9513 do the Blown Away review :\

So, given this info, just take it as who the source is and forget about it...
    Gator, Suellen, Smokyiiis and 1 others like this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan supercarriefan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    That is bs! Miranda never wrote a song about a twister or abusive father. I can see the reference to Martinas Independence Day but not miranda? They are crazy!

But guys they gave Mirandas new song an F grade so by comparison, this is a decent score. Lol

It is not a pop song to me. It sounds much more country then GG did.
    The writer isn't saying that Miranda has ever wrote a song about a twister or an abusive father. He is saying that the theme of the song (abuse) is more characteristic of Miranda than Carrie, who has stuck to safer themes in the past. Miranda has written a few songs about abuse. I don't agree that the writer mentioned Miranda in the review, but I do see where he was trying to go with the comment.

I think Country Universe has been cranky lately, and it appears they may be a little perturbed with the direction of country music at the moment. They are taking it on the women of the genre. BA deserved a higher grade, and Miranda's FGIT deserved a higher grade. However, the writers of both reviews, instead of actually writing thoughtful reviews about the songs in question, chose to take their frustrations out.

Go read the review they wrote of Tim's Truck Yeah...it cheered me up .

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by supercarriefan View Post
    The writer isn't saying that Miranda has ever wrote a song about a twister or an abusive father. He is saying that the theme of the song (abuse) is more characteristic of Miranda than Carrie, who has stuck to safer themes in the past. Miranda has written a few songs about abuse. I don't agree that the writer mentioned Miranda in the review, but I do see where he was trying to go with the comment.

I think Country Universe has been cranky lately, and it appears they may be a little perturbed with the direction of country music at the moment. They are taking it on the women of the genre. BA deserved a higher grade, and Miranda's FGIT deserved a higher grade. However, the writers of both reviews, instead of actually writing thoughtful reviews about the songs in question, chose to take their frustrations out.

I think that he was talking about the theme of the song too.

Country Universe has been very, very cranky lately, I guess they can just go cover the people who they think haven't "left the genre" but if they did that they would lose about 95% of their hits.
    supercarriefan likes this.

Concert Stars
    Unlike many others, Carrie Underwood is not following the genre. She's shaping it.

Haters to the left! Get on your 1$ goodbye shoes!

Concert Stars

Cheered me up too!
    rainbow1 likes this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan bigbluegrl23's Avatar
    Concert Stars

exactly, which is sick. all three of the women in country are taking more chances that half of the bull**** the boys are dishing out, which is the exact same ****ty material.
    Becca
    pklongbeach and DaisyTweets like this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan bigbluegrl23's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    btw guys, remember this review when the critics come up with some excuse to give Cupid's Got a Shutgun a bad review...
    Becca

Carrie Guru
    In my opinion, "Blown Away" (the song) is a perfect song to be marketed outside of the USA. People outside the US do not care to listen to "Tractors" or "Gasolines". Because of this song and this album, we can finally say that Carrie Underwood is an International Megastar. Can we say Miranda Lambert as "an International megastar?' The answer is "NO, NO, NO" -- people outside the US do not even know who she is.

I had that Truck Yeah review bookmarked on my laptop lol

And you know, after I discovered that Country Universe gave Miranda a grade of F for FGIT I've been checking out their reviews of singles from the male artists. And so I checked out the reviews for Luke Bryan, he was the first one that I thought of. And what did I discover? They gave "Drunk on You" an A. Whaaaa? I could not believe someone would give an A to a song with a line that goes "you make my speakers go boom boom". Oh, but it got worse. They actually praised that line! This is the exact statement from that review: 'Which is why I can’t help but love a romantic song with a chorus that opens, “Girl, you make my speakers go boom boom.” Bonus points for rhyming it with “mmm hmm.”'

I'm gagging right now as I type this lol.

For reference here is the link to that review I was referring to:
    Country Universe – A Country Music Blog » Single Review: Luke Bryan, “Drunk on You”

I found this comment on the BA review that I liked:

I fall somewhere in the middle of all this as someone who listens to pop more than country but has a respect and love for the genre when it’s done right. “There’s not enough wind in Oklahoma/To rip the nails out of the past” is in the running for best lyric of the year, but the production does seem a bit overblown (pun intended). Having said that, I tend to overlook it on this song and enjoy the delivery. Processed or not, this song would have completely overwhelmed most current pop singers if they had taken it on.

As for aiming for the pop charts, I would have seen “Good Girl” crossing over bigger than this one, and that song just barely registered at Adult Top 40 and Adult Contemporary formats. If anything, a song like this (as well as Kenny Chesney’s “Come Over”) work to Country radio’s benefit short-term by drawing in more pop-leaning listeners. And then they hear “Truck You” and change the channel.
    ^^Those last two sentences, with the reference to Truck Yeah, made me laughed out loud lol.
    Sorry, I like Tim McGraw, but I just can't process in my mind that he willingly recorded that awful song.
    nccountrygal likes this.

Concert Stars
    So, I hear some reviewer thought Carrie was abandoning the genre and her new single BA, was God Awful pop stuff. Well, I've got some bad news and some good news. The bad news, for people that want country music to be about "good ole boys, drinking, trucks, etc", your genre is changing whether you like it or not. The good news, after BA, the single goes platinum, the reviewer might just be looking for a new job. Just sayin.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Wow, this review is absurd. These same critics gripe about how the genre is so lifeless and generic, yet they still can't at least appreciate an artist for taking a risk. The effects were added to make the song more atmospheric. To suggest it was done because they were trying to create a pop song is an insult to Carrie as an artist. Once again, the critics are implying traditional country is the only thing that is ever worthy of Carrie's talent. I mean no disrespect, but Carrie is WAY too talented to be boxed in like that. Carrie's fans love what she does, and I suspect she'd have a lot less if she sang what makes critics happy.

That 's what I love about Carrie this era. She took risks, and she's willing to back them up because she BELIEVES in them.

Mentioning Katy and Ke$ha adds insult to injury. I mean, SERIOUSLY? He's suggesting a song as innovative as BA and a woman as talented as Carrie belongs with...them?? Excuse me while I go laugh.

Carrie is one of the few artists left who respects where country music is going and where it's been. Frankly, I take more issue with the fact that he's suggesting Carrie's saying "F you" to country music more than anything else. You will find no artist that respects this genre more than Carrie. Taking chances doesn't mean selling out. Last time I checked, creating a song as innovative as this and sending it to country radio meant being an artist.
    Last edited by Carrieflattsfan; 07-06-2012 at 12:11 PM.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire2004 View Post

And you know, after I discovered that Country Universe gave Miranda a grade of F for FGIT I've been checking out their reviews of singles from the male artists. And so I checked out the reviews for Luke Bryan, he was the first one that I thought of. And what did I discover? They gave "Drunk on You" an A. Whaaaa? I could not believe someone would give an A to a song with a line that goes "you make my speakers go boom boom". Oh, but it got worse. They actually praised that line! This is the exact statement from that review: 'Which is why I can’t help but love a romantic song with a chorus that opens, “Girl, you make my speakers go boom boom.” Bonus points for rhyming it with “mmm hmm.”'

Country Universe – A Country Music Blog » Single Review: Luke Bryan, “Drunk on You”
    Move out of the way! I'll beat you in my rush to the toilet to throw up!!!!!
    Claire2004 likes this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan supercarriefan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire2004 View Post

Oh dear . So, this guy thinks that "Drunk on You" is a masterpiece, yet ripped Miranda to shreds for releasing FGIT. Wow.
    Why is it that Luke can release 3 songs in a row with the same theme (Country Girl: hey girl, you're hot...let's party, I Don't Want This Night to End: hey girl, you're so pretty...let's party, and Drunk on You: hey girl, I like you...let's party). The sad thing is that in all three of those songs, he actually refers to the woman in question as "girl" lol. It sounds like a cheesy '80s song . Not to mention his last two singles are quite similar stylistically. Country music seems to having a Luke lovefest lately.
    The last line of that Drunk on You review from Country Universe made me want to puke. Luke is helping country music age with dignity?! Oh, you have got to be kidding me.

At least Carrie and Miranda are varying things stylistically to a point where their singles don't all run together. They are also changing up their themes within their respective album eras (Carrie: Good Girl-telling a friend her man is no good, and Blown Away- abuse and revenge; Miranda: Baggage Claim-kicking her cheating man to the curb, Over You - loss of a loved one, and FGIT- having a good time and being a bada**).

Oh well, as long as the women of country music keep making great music for me to enjoy, I'm happy. I'll just try to ignore what is going on with several of the men in the genre.
    Claire2004, nccountrygal and judes like this.

•  
    Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast