Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Kelly's 'Stronger' is the Best-Selling 'American Idol' Single (Carrie Mention)

Kelly's 'Stronger' is the Best-Selling 'American Idol' Single (Carrie Mention)

Carrie Underwood may have recorded “Independence Day,” but it is Kelly Clarksonwho makes American Idol history today, July 4, as the latest sales figures from Nielsen SoundScan confirm her current hit, “Stronger (What Doesn’t Kill You),” to be the best-selling Idol single of all time, surpassing the long-time champion, Underwood’s “Before He Cheats.”

“Stronger” has sold 3,510,000 singles as of today, beating “Before He Cheats,” which has moved 3,509,000 copies since its release in 2006. “Stronger” ruled The Billboard Hot 100 for three weeks, making it Clarkson’s longest-running No. 1 (“A Moment Like This” reigned for two weeks in 2002 and “My Life Would Suck Without You” ruled for two weeks in 2009). “Stronger” went to No. 1 on 11 different Billboard charts, including Hot Digital Songs, Adult Top 40, Hot Dance Club Play and the Adult Contemporary tally, where it is in pole position for the fifth consecutive week.

“Before He Cheats” peaked at No. 8 on the Hot 100 and was on the chart for 64 weeks. Only five songs in the 54-year history of this survey have had longer runs. On Hot Country Songs, “Before He Cheats” was No. 1 for five weeks in November-December 2006.

Kelly Clarkson's 'Stronger' Makes History as Best-Selling 'American Idol' Single of All-Time - Hollywood Reporter

Concert Stars
    Really? Stronger is one of the most awful Kelly Clarkson songs I've ever heard.

If any song should pass Carrie by KC, it should be Addicted, because that song is genius.
    Burst, Cps235 and carebearcarrie like this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan bigbluegrl23's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    BHC sold that much when the digital age was just starting. Stronger was played so much I honestly expected 4X or 5X platinum by now.
    Becca

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    I'm gonna sound like a jerk for this, but THIS is why I hate that pop gets more attention than country. WDKY probably sold as much as it did because it's a catchy radio song. It's exactly what listeners buy these days. It'd be one thing if she'd surpassed Carrie with a great song, but it happened with a crappy one because pop receives more AirPlay. Ugh.
    teesharky and Cps235 like this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan supercarriefan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    So glad to see people are taking this news well .

I'm happy for Kelly. WDKY isn't the best song she has ever done, but it is a better than a lot of what is on the radio.
    It's unfortunate that some are making excuses as to why this isn't a great achievement for Kelly to have sold over 3 million singles.

Nicole, I love Addicted, too. It's the most played Kelly song on my iPod.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by supercarriefan View Post
    Nicole, I love Addicted, too. It's the most played Kelly song on my iPod.
    Me, too! It's one of my all-time favorite songs. Her vocals are bone-chilling, the 6/8 groove is menacing, the chest-head switches are haunting, ah, such a perfect song. It's still not being played in full at her shows, though, right? Only every once in a while in medley. Or something. Such a shame.
    Cps235 likes this.

Concert Stars
    Bummer. But i would rather lose to kelly anyday then swsrn. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by allamericangirl8 View Post
    Me, too! It's one of my all-time favorite songs. Her vocals are bone-chilling, the 6/8 groove is menacing, the chest-head switches are haunting, ah, such a perfect song. It's still not being played in full at her shows, though, right? Only every once in a while in medley. Or something. Such a shame.
    My favorite KC song is "Sober," such a great song and great vocals.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by gaycarebear View Post
    My favorite KC song is "Sober," such a great song and great vocals.
    Sober's gorgeous, too! Among my favorites. I just love how vulnerable she sounds on it, the dynamic shifts, the harmonies. It made me cry when I first heard it.

I feel like nobody else could sing that song. It could only be Kelly.

Concert Stars
    It wasn't part of the regular setlist at all on her latest tour. I don't think it was one of the fan's choice songs either. It did appear on the setlist for her international tour in 2010.

Gaycarebear, Sober is a close second for me as a favorite. I actually prefer the way she sings it live to the album version, though. The lyrics are beautiful.

Congrats to Kelly Clarkson on outselling a 6-years-old single! That's a nice achievement.

BHC is still the better song and had more impact.

Am I being a passive Carrie fan if I say that I don't really care that much on who between them has the bestselling single, as long as both are still selling their singles and albums well?

Quote Originally Posted by Claire2004 View Post
    Am I being a passive Carrie fan if I say that I don't really care that much on who between them has the bestselling single, as long as both are still selling their singles and albums well?
    You're too nice. You need to be more competitive.

Concert Stars
    what really?

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Manchs View Post
    Congrats to Kelly Clarkson on outselling a 6-years-old single! That's a nice achievement.

BHC is still the better song and had more impact.
    Not sure what you are getting at by stating that BHC has been around for six years lol. By bringing up that point, it actually makes Stronger selling over 3 million in less than a year look more impressive, which I think defeats the purpose you intended when you mentioned it .

You're too nice. You need to be more competitive.

Haha, don't worry, it's just the Carrie-vs-Kelly thing that I'm unconcerned about. Now, say Carrie versus another country artist, I can get VERY competitive. lol

I've always been baffled why people keep pitting Carrie and Kelly against each other. They're from different music genres. Heck, they did not even come from the same Idol season lol.

Edit: To add, for example, the Adam-vs-Kris thingy that's forever been going on at MJ, I can understand to a certain point, since they're from the same season and so the fans will always be debating (or arguing rudely - as is the tendency at MJ whenever the Adam fans are involved lol) who is more successful, who is the more talented, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by supercarriefan View Post
    Not sure what you are getting at by stating that BHC has been around for six years lol. By bringing up that point, it actually makes Stronger selling over 3 million in less than a year look more impressive, which I think defeats the purpose you intended when you mentioned it .
    Because 6 years ago singles didn't use to sell much. To have an idea, I think BHC was in the top 20/25 of the best selling singles of all time selling only a bit more than 2 million copies. Today, we have almost 40 songs that have sold more than 5 million. Nice achievement for Kelly, but it's not that hard to do with today's singles sales climate.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire2004 View Post
    Haha, don't worry, it's just the Carrie-vs-Kelly thing that I'm unconcerned about. Now, say Carrie versus another country artist, I can get VERY competitive. lol

I've always been baffled why people keep pitting Carrie and Kelly against each other. They're from different music genres. Heck, they did not even come from the same Idol season lol.
    Haha, yeah, I see where you coming from. Unfortunately, my life's philosophy is "Everytime you can brag about something your fave singer has done, do it". I can't help it. Competition is competition

Concert Stars
    Because 6 years ago singles didn't use to sell much. To have an idea, I think BHC was in the top 20/25 of the best selling singles of all time selling only a bit more than 2 million copies. Today, we have almost 40 songs that have sold more than 5 million. Nice achievement for Kelly, but it's not that hard to do with today's singles sales climate.
    That must be why Remind Me's already sold 6 million copies!

Oh, wait, it didn't.

That must be why Remind Me's already sold 6 million copies!

Oh, wait, it didn't.
    How I wish it had sold 6 million copies But you know it's a different situation, Nicole.

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast