Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Sydney Review: Time Out Sydney

Concert Stars

Sydney Review: Time Out Sydney

Nice review from a Major Sydney Paper! Carrie Underwood - Features - Music - Time Out Sydney

Carrie Underwood

A shaky start but a soaring finish to the most successful American Idol's first Australian gig

First published on 3 Jul 2012. Updated on 3 Jul 2012.
    Carrie Underwood is considered by the kinds of magazines that rank these things to be the most successful American Idol winner – ever. Yes, even more so than original idolus regnant Kelly Clarkson. She’s sold 22 million singles, won five Grammy Awards and is a stalwart at the Grand Ole Oprey. But like a kind of reverse Kylie Minogue, the platinum-blonde country belter, who took out Idol’s fourth title back in 2005, has never cracked the world outside America in a big way. Based on last night’s evidence at the Sydney Opera House, that could well change.

It must be said that Underwood has been on this reviewer’s radar for some time. I first came across her while road-tripping across America with my country’n’western-lovin’ mother back in ’06 – a time when Underwood’s girl power-revenge anthem ‘Before He Cheats’ was smothering America’s country radio stations. It was unavoidable, and I didn’t mind. As far as country-pop-with-attitude goes, the song is about as good as it gets and far better material than most Simon Cowell-selected poppettes are ever allowed to release. It left a good impression – one that stuck with me. So it was that I entered the Concert Hall for Underwood’s first ever Australian gig with some high expectations.

The start was a little rough. Underwood came out looking amazing – those pink and silver sparkly leggings, oh my – but on opener, ‘Good Girl’, from latest album Blown Away, the huge band ate her up and a rollicking good country-pop song was lost in the noise somewhere along the way. Whether they were gobsmacked by the leggings – did we mention those? – or waiting for Underwood to say hello – it was 4-5 songs in before she did the customary “so excited to be at the Opera House” spiel – the audience was a bit slow settling in. We were worried: stiff audience + huge country pop + Opera House Concert Hall = a rather awkward evening.

Apparently, though, they were just saving themselves. As the chords to ‘Last Name’ kicked in – a cheeky-but-safe nod to sinful good times (“I don’t even know his last name, my momma would be so ashamed”) – the crowd was up on its boots. And Underwood clearly digged the enthusiasm, delivering a stomping good rendition. She did the same with ‘Undo It’ and a cover of INXS’s ‘Never Tear Us Apart’. Nice touch. Her ridiculously huge voice – she may be the best reality comp winner as well as the most successful – seemed affected by sickness, getting a little chipmunk-y at times, but she powered through. And when she soared, she soared. ‘I Know You Won't’ was a lesson in power, and by the time she got to ‘Before He Cheats’ the crowd was doing the work for her anyway, screaming the chorus: “So I dug my keys into the side of his pretty little souped-up four-wheeled drive… maybe next time he’ll think, before he cheats.”

If Underwood has not quite broken through in the same way that say, Taylor Swift, has in this hemisphere, she’s certainly cut through deep with those who’ve found her. The crowd at the Opera House – with more cowboy hats and boots than you’d usually see in these parts, and at least one fabulous rodeo-style stars-and-stripes shirt – was adoring.

It’s something about being hugely relatable, we reckon. Here’s a pretty girl who grew up on a rural farm in Oklahoma, was plucked from obscurity and now sings about family and assholes (see ‘Cowboy Casanova’). Who ain’t into that? And if at times it feels like you’re at a Mitt Romney campaign stop or trapped in Hillsong church (as when ‘Jesus Take the Wheel’ segues into the Celine-smashing beltfest that is ‘How Great Thou Art’), we’re willing to look the other way. A great voice + the right crowd + excellent songs = a good time at the Sydney Oprey House.

Leave your own review below and you could score a double pass to the gig of your choice

Insane Carrie Fan CarrieUnderwoodismyHero's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Interesting review. It has some nice tidbits in there.

Carrie Guru
    Not sure if that was really a great review, overpowered by the band and chipmunky? Are they talking about Carrie Were they sitting by the speakers? I guess we'll have to wait for video.
    Ann055 and rainbow1 like this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Mixed review. To me a little disappointing, but not bad anyway. I'm glad Carrie sang "I know You Won't". That is surely a vocally impressive crowd pleaser.
    rainbow1 likes this.

Huge Carrie Follower carrie4aus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    Nice review from a Major Sydney Paper! Carrie Underwood - Features - Music - Time Out Sydney

Carrie Underwood

A shaky start but a soaring finish to the most successful American Idol's first Australian gig

Carrie Underwood is considered by the kinds of magazines that rank these things to be the most successful American Idol winner – ever. Yes, even more so than original idolus regnant Kelly Clarkson. She’s sold 22 million singles, won five Grammy Awards and is a stalwart at the Grand Ole Oprey. But like a kind of reverse Kylie Minogue, the platinum-blonde country belter, who took out Idol’s fourth title back in 2005, has never cracked the world outside America in a big way. Based on last night’s evidence at the Sydney Opera House, that could well change.

It must be said that Underwood has been on this reviewer’s radar for some time. I first came across her while road-tripping across America with my country’n’western-lovin’ mother back in ’06 – a time when Underwood’s girl power-revenge anthem ‘Before He Cheats’ was smothering America’s country radio stations. It was unavoidable, and I didn’t mind. As far as country-pop-with-attitude goes, the song is about as good as it gets and far better material than most Simon Cowell-selected poppettes are ever allowed to release. It left a good impression – one that stuck with me. So it was that I entered the Concert Hall for Underwood’s first ever Australian gig with some high expectations.

The start was a little rough. Underwood came out looking amazing – those pink and silver sparkly leggings, oh my – but on opener, ‘Good Girl’, from latest album Blown Away, the huge band ate her up and a rollicking good country-pop song was lost in the noise somewhere along the way. Whether they were gobsmacked by the leggings – did we mention those? – or waiting for Underwood to say hello – it was 4-5 songs in before she did the customary “so excited to be at the Opera House” spiel – the audience was a bit slow settling in. We were worried: stiff audience + huge country pop + Opera House Concert Hall = a rather awkward evening.

Apparently, though, they were just saving themselves. As the chords to ‘Last Name’ kicked in – a cheeky-but-safe nod to sinful good times (“I don’t even know his last name, my momma would be so ashamed”) – the crowd was up on its boots. And Underwood clearly digged the enthusiasm, delivering a stomping good rendition. She did the same with ‘Undo It’ and a cover of INXS’s ‘Never Tear Us Apart’. Nice touch. Her ridiculously huge voice – she may be the best reality comp winner as well as the most successful – seemed affected by sickness, getting a little chipmunk-y at times, but she powered through. And when she soared, she soared. ‘I Know You Won't’ was a lesson in power, and by the time she got to ‘Before He Cheats’ the crowd was doing the work for her anyway, screaming the chorus: “So I dug my keys into the side of his pretty little souped-up four-wheeled drive… maybe next time he’ll think, before he cheats.”

If Underwood has not quite broken through in the same way that say, Taylor Swift, has in this hemisphere, she’s certainly cut through deep with those who’ve found her. The crowd at the Opera House – with more cowboy hats and boots than you’d usually see in these parts, and at least one fabulous rodeo-style stars-and-stripes shirt – was adoring.

It’s something about being hugely relatable, we reckon. Here’s a pretty girl who grew up on a rural farm in Oklahoma, was plucked from obscurity and now sings about family and assholes (see ‘Cowboy Casanova’). Who ain’t into that? And if at times it feels like you’re at a Mitt Romney campaign stop or trapped in Hillsong church (as when ‘Jesus Take the Wheel’ segues into the Celine-smashing beltfest that is ‘How Great Thou Art’), we’re willing to look the other way. A great voice + the right crowd + excellent songs = a good time at the Sydney Oprey House.

Leave your own review below and you could score a double pass to the gig of your choice
    Fails to mention that the show started 20 minutes late due to "technical issues".

Agree about the crowd greeting,I actually heard a couple of people around me comment "oh she does speak".

No big issue there,I was there to listen to Carrie sing not speak.She was very cute when she did talk to the crowd saying that she
    spent a lot of time at the "Oprey House" so if she happened to say Oprey House instead of Opera House we needed to forgive her.

I don't know what the reviewer means with the chipmunkey reference.If Carrie had held some of her notes any longer the top of her head would have blown off!!

A pretty good review overall but at times it makes you wonder what planet these people are on.

Huge Carrie Follower huggablebri's Avatar
    I think the chipmunk has to do with possibly the sound mix. I have noticed at some shows that i have been to occasionally when she sing and talks, her voice seems to be much higher than I think it really is. Almost as if she had a cold. But then it would seem to get better later in the show.
    Mirasa45A, mbh and opry051008 like this.

hjj
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    I am surprise to see she is waiting till after the 5th song before speaking to the audience. Since the audience does not know Carrie it is too bad she does not engage the audience w/ her sweet personality right from the outset beyond her great singing, IMO.

Carrie Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by hjj View Post
    I am surprise to see she is waiting till after the 5th song before speaking to the audience. Since the audience does not know Carrie it is too bad she does not engage the audience w/ her sweet personality right from the outset beyond her great singing.
    Maybe because she had to finish at a certain time -- I don't know.

Huge Carrie Follower carrie4aus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirasa45A View Post
    Maybe because she had to finish at a certain time -- I don't know.
    It may have been that she just wanted to get a few songs over with to make up for the late start.

Either way it was no big issue.
    Mirasa45A likes this.

I think the reviewers make it more of a issue than the people that are there to see her.

Concert Stars
    Carrie has talked alot lately, about not being able to talk. She even told Oprah that. On the radio and other places, she expresses herself so well, and she is so intelligent. I don't get this. I wish she would just have at it!! She can be so funny, and so adorable, she needs to stop worrying about being awkward and just be Carrie.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by hjj View Post
    I am surprise to see she is waiting till after the 5th song before speaking to the audience. Since the audience does not know Carrie it is too bad she does not engage the audience w/ her sweet personality right from the outset beyond her great singing, IMO.
    Especially since that was one of the major concerns of her Play On Tour too. I think for her tour in the US she should have a chance to address the audience at least by the second, if not first, song. Otherwise it'll just seem like an automated show where every stop is the same. It's also interesting they also used the same backdrop from the PO tour.

Carrie Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow1 View Post
    Carrie has talked alot lately, about not being able to talk. She even told Oprah that. On the radio and other places, she expresses herself so well, and she is so intelligent. I don't get this. I wish she would just have at it!! She can be so funny, and so adorable, she needs to stop worrying about being awkward and just be Carrie.
    She talks well on interviews because she is just one on one. I don't think she's ever been comfortable in a setting where thousands of people are just looking at her while she talks. Even at her FC party she always has someone come in to ask her questions instead of just talking to us. Bottom line is, Carrie really just like to sing. And as much as I love her chatter, I'm ok with that.
    Cathie Wynkoop likes this.

Carrie Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by huggablebri View Post
    I think the chipmunk has to do with possibly the sound mix. I have noticed at some shows that i have been to occasionally when she sing and talks, her voice seems to be much higher than I think it really is. Almost as if she had a cold. But then it would seem to get better later in the show.
    Thanks. I guess I've seen Carrie so many times and I've never heard her sound like a chipmunk, even when she was sick.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by opry051008 View Post
    Thanks. I guess I've seen Carrie so many times and I've never heard her sound like a chipmunk, even when she was sick.
    It's definitely not a problem of her being sick, it's the sound system. Her voice was unaturally high pitched (singing and speaking) when I saw her for her PO tour in my area too, but it was normal when I saw her during her first two tours. And she definitely wasn't sick, she hit all the usual big notes fine, everything just had a chipmunk effect. When she's sick her voice sounds affected in a different way and she usually doesn't hit the big notes as smoothly or easily.

hjj
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by The Nanook View Post
    Especially since that was one of the major concerns of her Play On Tour too. I think for her tour in the US she should have a chance to address the audience at least by the second, if not first, song. Otherwise it'll just seem like an automated show where every stop is the same. It's also interesting they also used the same backdrop from the PO tour.
    I do think most shows are scripted to some degree and this include more than just Carrie's show. I also think that since Carrie does not use vocal warm ups, her 1st song serves in part her warm up. I think that is why sometime the 1st song is sometime criticize by the critics who is expecting perfection from the outset.

Carrie Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by carrie4aus View Post
    It may have been that she just wanted to get a few songs over with to make up for the late start.

Either way it was no big issue.
    YES, I think this was the reason --she had to finish at a certain time due to the Labor contract of the workers of the Arena.

Huge Carrie Follower
    Concert Stars
    The shows that I have seen both started right off with Carrie singing, don't remember how many songs in before she addressed the audience......but no one cared. I honestly think it has more to do with her own comfort level. She is in her element singing, but is shy enough to struggle for words on the talking bits. I feel like she is wirking up her courage and since everyone there bought tickets specifically to hear her sing, it was a non issue. Her talking bits always sound forced like you know she is a little uncomfortable.....she may always be that way and we may have to deal with ut being part of her charm.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by bearball49 View Post
    The shows that I have seen both started right off with Carrie singing, don't remember how many songs in before she addressed the audience......but no one cared. I honestly think it has more to do with her own comfort level. She is in her element singing, but is shy enough to struggle for words on the talking bits. I feel like she is wirking up her courage and since everyone there bought tickets specifically to hear her sing, it was a non issue. Her talking bits always sound forced like you know she is a little uncomfortable.....she may always be that way and we may have to deal with ut being part of her charm.
    I like your post and pretty much agree with what you said. I don't think we have to make “excuses” for Carrie because I think it is just like you said in that she is shy, as she has said herself many times, and struggles with the talking stuff and that is just her and probably always will be to a certain extent. That is why she probably does not chatter a whole awfully lot at concerts and that is OK because it is just how it is and how she is.

But I agree with Tee in that this is a fairly OK review. Yes, it is not perfect but a far cry from how many of the reviewers in the USA treat her.
    Pi314CA and teesharky like this.

mbh
    Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post

Carrie Underwood

I care only about the following (which is the reason why I spend money to see Carrie and buy shirts and pictures) : A great voice + the right crowd + excellent songs = a good time at the Sydney Oprey House. I am a middle age woman, but, I still dance and scream with the young audience around me and I was really enjoying myself when I saw Carrie twice at her live concerts in 2008 and 2010. Hearing her talk to the audience is just a bonus to me. So, great review!

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast