• 1 Post By liz278
  • 6 Post By rainbow1
  • 1 Post By Cathie Wynkoop
  • 6 Post By Gator
  • 1 Post By jbrown
  • 2 Post By epicamends

Thread: Review: Carrie Underwood - Palais Theatre, Melbourne, 26th June 2012

Review: Carrie Underwood - Palais Theatre, Melbourne, 26th June 2012

REVIEW: Carrie Underwood, Palais Theatre, Melbourne, 26th June 2012 - Take 40

Having grown up with my grandparents in Western Queensland, I'm well versed when it comes to country music. Well, the old kind at least. Cash, Kristofferson, Haggard, Pride, etcetera, etcetera. And whilst my tastes have evolved, I still have a soft spot for the genre. So, it was with the slightest hint of nostalgia that I boarded the 96 tram and headed for St Kilda's Palais Theatre.

http://www.take40.com/artists/photo-...26th-june-2012

What I was soon to find out however, was that like my musical tastes, so too has country music evolved.

The show begins with a performance from Damien Leith. Now, despite the obvious connections both Leith and Underwood have to the internationally successful 'Idol' franchise, the Irish-Australian's inclusion on the bill seems like a strange decision to me. He's not country. He's not pop. He's not anything really. And despite seeming to be a genuinely wonderful guy, with a great voice, and a good band, he just doesn't seem to fit. After all, this is a crowd here to see a young, beautiful international country starlet... not a slightly dorky dad.

Leith however, does cover one of my favourite songs of all time, Bob Dylan's 'I'll be your baby tonight', as well as a couple of Orbison numbers that the crowd recognises. The same recognition, on the other hand, is not forthcoming when it comes to his originals.

Following Leith's set, there's a short interval during which I take the time to scan the room. At this point, I must say that I am quite disappointed at the lack of Akubras/Stetsons in the house. Sure, there may be quite a few sitting on laps, and we are in fact indoors, but I really want to see more. I don't know why, I just do.

Anyway, the largely hatless crowd is predominantly women. There are a few token boyfriends, and even a significant 'older' contingent (could this just be the weathered faces of hard working country folk?), but again, it is mostly girls. I guess you could say that many here tonight have come because they idolise Ms Underwood. But really, why wouldn't they? She's stunning. She's talented. She's famous. And much like her opening act, she seems to be a really nice person.

Expectedly then, the crowd erupt as she takes the stage.

Dressed in a black 'jacket and shorts' number, that sparkles courtesy of drag-queen volumes of sequins, she cuts a dazzling figure amongst her coloured lightshow. Her blonde locks look a bit 'Modern Farrah Fawcett' as the band kicks into 'Good Girl', the lead single from her fourth album. This proves to be a rocking way to start the show.

Watch Carrie's latest and very sexy 'GOOD GIRL' video!

Next up is 'Flat on the floor'. It kicks arse. Another rock-inspired number, the song has the crowd nodding along in an almost polite-type-mosh. I'm less polite in my movement. In fact, we're only 2 songs in and I want to tackle trees. Settle down Ryan. Luckily for me, she brings the mood back down with 'Wasted', one of the singles from her debut record.

As I spend the next few songs recovering from my rush of adrenaline, I marvel at her 8-piece band. They're all multi-instrumentalists (banjos, mandolins, fiddles, guitars, pedal steel, dobros, keyboards, drums, organs...) with freakish prodigy-like abilities. I am more than jealous and seriously consider never playing guitar again.

There is a good mix of songs amongst the opening few numbers. There's everything from the softness of 'Temporary Home' to the punch-you-thrice-in-the-face-rock of 'Last Name'. She finishes the first half of her set with one of her biggies, 'Cowboy Cassanova'.

The second half, which is only interrupted by the scuttle of roadies bringing chairs onstage, begins with a few acoustic numbers. Most of the band have disappeared at this point and the vibe is very friendly and intimate. They return for the tropical flavoured 'One way ticket'.

After further rearrangement (is this a theatrical stage show?), the band kick into a familiar orchestral riff. It is INXS's 'Never tear us apart'. The crowd love it and sing along. But no standing ovation. No, this was surprisingly saved for her medley of 'Jesus take the wheel' and 'How great thou art'.

Carrie and band finish their set on another hit 'Before he cheats' and head offstage.

Now, whilst everyone expects encores these days, Ms Underwood and crew seem not to fully grasp the concept. You see, after what seemed to be approximately 32 seconds, they jumped back on stage. At least give us a chance to chant for your return!!

Two songs wrap up the show. They are 'I know you won't' and 'Blown away'. Coincidentally, I didn't she would, but she blew me away.

Thank you Carrie Underwoood. Next time you're in town, let's have a coffee.

PS: Sorry to my touch football team who ran around in the cold whilst I was ogling perhaps the most beautiful country singer in the universe.

Review: Ryan 'Manchester' Yip
    Photographer: Kate Wehl

Carrie Guru
    Very good review. This guy did not like the openner at all

I agree with his remarks about the encore....It was true for the PO show as well...She kinda ducks out, but doesn't reaally pretend to go away....It's weird. I think they honestly don't mean to do an "encore", it just seems that way.

LOVE the rest of the review! He's really got her!

Huge Carrie Follower carrie4aus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirasa45A View Post
    Very good review. This guy did not like the openner at all
    Great review.

I guess I fit into the older group!!

I don't think it was that he didn't like the opener he just didn't know how damien and Carrie fitted together.

I get the Idol link and all but if the audience is mostly young people they wouldn't want to see damien and they certainly
    wouldn't know any Roy Orbison songs.

They just don't fit and I am so glad carrie is doing the full show in Sydney.

Concert Stars
    wonderful review!!

Huge Carrie Follower
    thanks so much for this ann.
    Ann055 likes this.

Concert Stars
    nice review!!! perhaps next time they can use a local'Aussie country act instead to open.

Love this review. I love that he said that he did not expect to be blown away, but Carrie did and won him over.

And love the praise that he gave to the band.

Concert Stars
    Great review!

Carrie Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by carebear4eva View Post
    I agree with his remarks about the encore....It was true for the PO show as well...She kinda ducks out, but doesn't reaally pretend to go away....It's weird. I think they honestly don't mean to do an "encore", it just seems that way.

LOVE the rest of the review! He's really got her!
    On the first leg of the PO tour she didn't do an encore and I think when she left the stage people expected her to come back so she added an encore in the second leg. So I`m guessing that she probably doesn't really like the encore ritual. Personally, I think it's kind of a dumb tradition.

Concert Stars
    Thanks Ann, great review.
    Ann055 likes this.

Concert Stars
    Great review! I also like that he recognizes how extraordinary her band is. I don't think I thought about them that much in the past but lately I have realized how good they are.
    And she made a new fan
    12russ79 likes this.

Concert Stars
    So funny when he said everyone was nodding along, and he wanted to tackle trees!!!!

Obsessed Carrie Fan Cathie Wynkoop's Avatar
    Back in Kansas.....there's no place like home!!!
    Concert Stars
    That was a real entertaining review! I tried to read it with an Australian accent! It made it more fun that way!

I loved that he grew up on the old style country music, yet he was willing to give Carrie a chance, and was actually "blown away"! Loved it!

Thanks for posting, Ann!
    Ann055 likes this.

Carrie Follower
    I really loved the review and enjoyed it! Thanks!

Concert Stars
    Great review. It was nice for him to compliment the band's talents - "prodigy-like abilities"! Surprise, Carrie won him over!

I truly appreciate the reviews we are getting from abroad. They are very thoughtful, detailed and interesting. They are actually reviewing what they are hearing, not necessarily what their preconceptions may have been. How refreshing! Hope it continues there and in the U.S.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Gator View Post
    Great review. It was nice for him to compliment the band's talents - "prodigy-like abilities"! Surprise, Carrie won him over!

I truly appreciate the reviews we are getting from abroad. They are very thoughtful, detailed and interesting. They are actually reviewing what they are hearing, not necessarily what their preconceptions may have been. How refreshing! Hope it continues there and in the U.S.
    Hope so too that reviewers will be objective and open minded instead of being biased and snarky for no reasons. Go Carrie. She's winning fans everywhere.
    Gator likes this.

Great review. It's nice to see the band get some accolades as well. Carrie's band is truly one of the best in the business.
    opry051008 and Ann055 like this.

mbh
    Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Great review. I am very proud of the great review that Carrie got in United Kingdom and Australia. The first time I saw Carrie live was in Puyallup Fair, Washington in 2008 and the second one was in Comcast Arena, Everett, Washington in 2010. Carrie sounded better live and absolutely fantastic. I love so much all her vocals in all her albums, though.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Great review! It's nice that he complimented the band. They're amazing! I'm glad that Carrie won him over. She's blowing everyone away with her incredible talent. Thank you for posting, Ann055.

•