Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree90Likes

Thread: Carrie Underwood, Albert Hall - review

Obsessed Chart Watcher cary78663's Avatar

Carrie Underwood, Albert Hall - review

Carrie Underwood, Albert Hall - review (4 stars)
    A country girl at home in the city

At first glance, Carrie Underwood, America’s latest sweetheart and winner of the 2005 series of American Idol (imagine The Voice but with viewers), seems made to appeal to mainstream white America, being Christian, country-tinged and Simon Fuller-managed. But look again: not only does she co-write most of her material but in real life she knowingly risked alienating her conservative fanbase by loudly supporting gay marriage.

Last night, as her fifth album, Blown Away, hurtles towards the British Top 10, Underwood made her UK debut, and what a good-natured triumph it was for the 21st-century Shania Twain, despite her unwillingness (or inability) to truly let herself go and dressing as if she’d been told the Royal Albert Hall was a Taliban stronghold.

Backed by a supertight eight-piece band, she said all the right things, suggesting playing London was a watershed “in our careers and lives” and spurning overt religiosity in favour of daft platitudes: “We never end up where we start; that’s the point of life.”

Her outlook may have been fortune-cookie but she was absorbingly watchable and a fabulous singer. There were nods to her country roots on the cover of Randy Travis’s ballad I Told You So, yet she charged through the stomping pop-rock of Blown Away’s title track far more meatily than you’d expect from a vegan. Better still, Underwood’s spine-tingling version of Coldplay’s Fix You showed she understood the song is both a tender comfort blanket and a gung-ho rock symphony. She even tangled with reggae-lite on the summery shuffle One Way Ticket without making a fool of herself.

Even more intriguing was her internal duel between the sacred and the secular. The lovely redemptive tale Jesus Take The Wheel climaxed with a glorious coda of the gospel standard How Great Thou Art, but in the raucous Last Name, our heroine comes follows a night of Las Vegas abandon, only to find herself married to a stranger.

Of such dilemmas are fascinating careers made. Carrie Underwood may be a mere competition winner but I suspect things are going to get really interesting from here.
    Source: Carrie Underwood, Albert Hall - review - Music - Arts - Evening Standard

Thanks for posting! Hummm...fifth album -- he goofed...
    Not so sure about this guy's writing, but ok.
    rainbow1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzy62 View Post
    Wow, I think his writing is immature and tainted with innuendos. Personally, putting the taliban and any American in the same sentence is offensive to me personally. I don't care if she wore a sheet, that was not a nice way to cut at her clothing. He could've simply said, it had a lot to be desired.
    I agree. He should have written the article and not tried to be cute.

Concert Stars
    this writer is weird!
    Hil likes this.

Huge Carrie Follower
    i dont like this writeup. the writer seems anti-carrie and that he was just forced to write something good coz he would look stupid if he doesnt

Concert Stars
    ^^ I don't agree -the review of her singing and performance was good - he gave her 4 stars but he couldn't resist those stabs at the "other things" Carrie does or wears. I've never seen a Taliban woman wear pants like those - as I said before maybe Steven Tyler but it seemed to me those remarks were sort of thrown in without too much thought . I think he genuinely thought Carrie was great. Sort of like he was surprised she had such depth as an artist

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Look at the positive side of his review "she was absorbingly watchable, Underwood’s spine-tingling version of Coldplay’s Fix You showed she understood the song is both a tender comfort blanket and a gung-ho rock symphony. She even tangled with reggae-lite on the summery shuffle One Way Ticket" (I don't like the next part) "without making a fool of herself." He also called Carrie the 21st century ShaniaTwain. All and all...not bad.
    judes likes this.

The review of the actual performance is positive. I guess the writer is in a snarky mood. He can't find anything bad to say about the performance, so he settled for the outfit.
    rainbow1 and nccountrygal like this.

Carrie Guru
    I think the guy was trying to be witty.... total fail.
    Hil, DaisyTweets and pklongbeach like this.

Concert Stars
    Actually that was a really good review!

The only comment that confused me was the Taliban reference. Huh??!!

But otherwise greAt review!
    Hil, pklongbeach and lab like this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan bigbluegrl23's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    guys cmon, the taliban thing was offensive (extremely actually) but don't try and make this into a bad review. Tee's right. I think he genuinely does like her.
    Becca
    teesharky, Hil and pklongbeach like this.

Guys, when Tee says something is good, we better believe it lol Nice review then!

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    Here is a comment (in the comment section of the link below) from someone who is familiar with this 'reporter':

The reviewer John Aizlewood is a snarky guy but if you read his other stuff, he can get REALLY snarky. For instance, check out his past articles for The Guardian, especially the articles he wrote about Lily Allen and James Blunt. For his view on reality shows, check out this article from 2008 where he said Adele and Duffy's next big thing status was the by product of Simon Cowell's reality shows.

Link: Carrie Underwood Covers Coldplay's "Fix You" - London (VIDEO)

Concert Stars
    The guy's was "trying" to be witty. He probably went to the concert thinking, "this American reality show winner, what does she have to show me". After Carrie knocked his socks off, he had to say
    something snarky about her clothes. But, he had to admit, Carrie is one great singer.
    pklongbeach likes this.

Concert Stars
    Hmmm.....well, glad he liked it. Still, he is lacking in his writing skills. Sounds like a fifth grader wrote that, plus he copied a lot of phrases from another article. :/

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    "Carrie Underwood may be a mere competition winner but I suspect things are going to get really interesting from here."
    Wow - you reckon? Interesting? Maybe, like hosting award shows? Membership of the Opry? Hey - maybe a few Grammys! A duet with Tony Bennett - oh, no, come on!. Still - things could get quite interesting. She could even go overseas and get asked about Simon Cowell's trousers.

Okay, first it's a POSITIVE review, and that's what matters, not what he thinks of her hot pants. I actually really appreciate writing like this (not THIS in particular), but articles that are completely positive, yet not even slightly kiss-a*s. He obviously loved the performance, and that's easily apparent. He has nothing but good things to say about her songs, her music, her cover, her voice and her behaviour and conduct. However, the tone of the article is pleasantly cynical and light. I approve!

I also appreciate that he's done a good job by devoting almost half the article to stuff about Carrie herself, rather than just talking about the concert, which is important when you're writing for a country that's just getting to know her.

And contrary to what people are suggesting here, he is a BLOODY good writer. Trust me, I'm not one to compliment easily - it's take a lot for me to admit that someone's better than I am when it comes to pen and paper. But this guy has his stuff together. Read some of the other articles he's written. He's a very skilled writer, very nearly as good as I am

As for the Taliban remark, I'm going to have to take a second look at those pants. I thought they were rather flashy (weren't they more like really dark stockings that flashed a LOT of leg?)

Even so, I don't think it's "offensive", per se. He thought was Carrie covered up (and unnaturally so, given that several of her songs go with some sexy-Shania outfits). The Taliban forces women to cover up, even if it's against their inclination.

He made a loose remark. It's not 'offensive", in that he isn't suggesting about the friggin' Taliban. But, yeah, I can definitely see it opening sore wounds, even though it seems harmless to me.
    teesharky and pklongbeach like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzy62 View Post
    With all due respect to those who feel this is a good review, for the most part I agree, however, passive aggressive writing is not acceptable. I won't allow a pass to the whole when inserting a touchy subject for 5000 plus who have died because he is incapable of nicely saying, her outfit had a lot to be desired. No, I don't accept it. Anyone who does in my opinion adds to the passivity of his comment. It was WAY out of place, did not enhance the critique in any way and actually managed to piss me off personally. Touchy, no. Not unless you don't give a rat's batootie about the loss of life due to the TALIBAN! Personally, I feel this review should be pulled from this site. There will surely be plenty others we can celebrate rather than play to this guy who lacks sensitivity.
    Look, he wasn't actually making any relevant comparison or insinuation regarding the blasted Taliban! I totally understand the horror of the T-banis (BELIEVE ME, I DO!), but that doesn't mean the very mention of them should be policed, does it?

Huge Carrie Follower huggablebri's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    Actually that was a really good review!

The only comment that confused me was the Taliban reference. Huh??!!

But otherwise greAt review!
    Scratching my head here. I agree with Tee totally. Man people here are being so sensitive. Even people here were commenting on her outfit. I thought the top/blouse was very conservative, and Tee I believe that is what the Taliban reference was about.
    lab likes this.

Concert Stars
    Sometimes humor and Wit are only funny or insightful to the person doing the typing..(I've been there many times) That being said ,far worse things have been printed about Carrie by many critics here in the states... So I'm gonna give this person a pass and accept the other great things he says about OUR GIRL....

•  
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast