Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree90Likes

Thread: Carrie Underwood, Albert Hall - review

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzy62 View Post
    AS A PATRIOT and an AMERICAN, I take deep offense to it, YES. So to answer your question: Um, YES YES YES AND YES....

Like I said, Passive aggression doesn't make it okay.

Oh and your in small company thinking this was a well written article. Most on here do at least agree to it was poorly written, but not you. Most have questioned witha HUH about the Taliban. So with all due respect, I 100% disagree with your suggestion of being "policed". CALL ME THE FREAKING POLICE THEN. YES I AM. I don't want someone from America, especially a sweet girl like Carrie, EVER put in the same sentence with these types. It was a ridiculous sentence to put into a music reveiw.

Just my opinion.
    Well, I disagree almost entirely. I think satire is one of the best ways to overcome something.

Oh, well, opinions differ.

I must, however, question whether you would have opined the same statements about the quality of his writing if that single Taliban remark weren't present.

On the whole, I think it was a marvelously positive review, and for that I'm happy. I'd much rather Carrie be put in the same sentence as the Taliban in what is obviously a joke, than hear the same bullcrap reviews about her not having stage presence and not "connecting with the song".

Quote Originally Posted by 12russ79 View Post
    Sometimes humor and Wit are only funny or insightful to the person doing the typing..(I've been there many times) That being said ,far worse things have been printed about Carrie by many critics here in the states... So I'm gonna give this person a pass and accept the other great things he says about OUR GIRL....
    Strongly agree with the part in bold.

Also, I'm officially going to start referring to Carrie as Goldilocks. That's how the media appears to treat her. She flashes some leg....TOO SLUTTY! She covers up 1% more than usual....TALIBAN-GIRL! She calmly sings a song with the voice of an angel...NO STAGE PRESENCE! She adds some zing to the performance with outfits/"dance" moves/SFX....DISTRACTING FROM THE MUSIC! She releases some pop material....HOLLYWOOD SELLOUT! She goes uber-country...STICK TO WHAT YOU KNOW, GIRL! She announces her faith in God....STOP STUFFING RELIGION DOWN MY THROAT! She announces her support for the rights of the LGBT community....I THOUGHT YOU WERE A CHRISTIAN??!

Like I said...Goldilocks...It's always too hot or too cold, too soft or too hard.

Totally get why she said "I HAVE TO LIVE FOR MYSELF!"

Concert Stars

Other than the highlighted, I actually agree with you. However, it wasn't her who offended me. IT was a writers take on her outfit. His reference was offensive.
    Like to be dramatic much??
    carebear4eva likes this.

Concert Stars
    To what would you be referring to exactly? The sentence you chose shows not drama. Bandwagon much?
    There are so many so how could I pick out just one.

Ultimate Carrie Fan bigbluegrl23's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Let's please remember that the Taliban bombed London as well, even more recently than 9/11. It's not like they only go after the united states. I honestly doubt the guy was saying anything against America or anything. Yes, I agree, the comment was not necessary AT ALL, but we should just ignore it.
    Becca
    carebear4eva and pklongbeach like this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    Wow - you reckon? Interesting? Maybe, like hosting award shows? Membership of the Opry? Hey - maybe a few Grammys! A duet with Tony Bennett - oh, no, come on!. Still - things could get quite interesting. She could even go overseas and get asked about Simon Cowell's trousers.
    Now now Farawayhills. Little things like you mentioned don't count. Now that he's seen and wrote about Carrie, things could NOW get interesting...perhaps even put her in SUPERSTAR status? Nah... Heh
    opry051008 likes this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbluegrl23 View Post
    Let's please remember that the Taliban bombed London as well, even more recently than 9/11. It's not like they only go after the united states. I honestly doubt the guy was saying anything against America or anything. Yes, I agree, the comment was not necessary AT ALL, but we should just ignore it.
    Becca
    I agree. I think the writer is hinting at the ever-increasing Muslim population and perhaps the uneasiness due to a few 'bad apples'... the radical extremists.

In any event, take the good and leave the rest.

Veering dangerously OT here, but just thought I'd point out that the Taliban was responsible for neither the 7/7 London bombings, nor 9/11. The Taliban's menace has been largely centralised around Asia and parts of Africa. As far as I know they have never successfully perpetrated a terrorist attack on American soil.

They have pulled off several in India, though, including one in Mumbai in which I lost a distant cousin.

I'm only saying this to make it very clear that I despise the Taliban as much as any civilized man ought to, particularly for their crimes against women, which I am most opposed to (Five women were executed for the raunchy act of "clapping" in public in Pakistan recently). However, I don't agree that their horror makes them off the table for a completely innocent joke.

Or, as Pi very wisely said, TAKE THE GOOD AND CHUCK THE REST

Oh, and I will pre-empt the mods by totally agreeing to drop this discussion at once

Huge Carrie Follower huggablebri's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by carebear4eva View Post
    Veering dangerously OT here, but just thought I'd point out that the Taliban was responsible for neither the 7/7 London bombings, nor 9/11. The Taliban's menace has been largely centralised around Asia and parts of Africa. As far as I know they have never successfully perpetrated a terrorist attack on American soil.

They have pulled off several in India, though, including one in Mumbai in which I lost a distant cousin.

I'm only saying this to make it very clear that I despise the Taliban as much as any civilized man ought to, particularly for their crimes against women, which I am most opposed to (Five women were executed for the raunchy act of "clapping" in public in Pakistan recently). However, I don't agree that their horror makes them off the table for a completely innocent joke.

Or, as Pi very wisely said, TAKE THE GOOD AND CHUCK THE REST

giving hi fives to you carebear. i was just gonna post the same comment. Notice to all. Osama Bin Laden and the people who responsible for 9/11 were "Al Qaeda" and NOT the Taliban..

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    The word "taliban" means "religious scholar". When it's spelt with a capital letter, with "The" in front, it usually refers to an ultra-Conservative group who took control of most of Afghanistan after the collapse of the Russian occupation. They've since been ousted from government, but they're still strong in large parts of the South, and in parts of Pakistan. They didn't bomb London or New York - that was al-Quaeda. However, their leader, Mullah Omar did give shelter to the man who planned the bombings - hence the allied involvement in helping the rebel Northern Alliance to oust them from Government.
    The reference to Carrie is offensive for two main reasons. Firstly Taliban activists are killing many of the service personnel from both our countries on a frequent basis. I would guess that writer has seen the regular processions of fallen being brought through the streets of Wootton Bassett from RAF Lyneham. The Queen recently gave the honorary title "Royal" to the Wiltshire town of Wootton Bassett, in gratitude for the local people turning out every time to salute the coffins carried home. It's worth pointing out that the Taliban also kill many more Afghans they suspect of being even slightly Liberal.
    The second reason why it's offensive is that Carrie is a woman, and women are particularly restricted and abused under their ultra-Conservative regime. Carrie would not be allowed to get a degree, travel, or perform to a mixed audience under the Taliban. They have also shown bigotry in destroying historic Buddhist relics that all other Afghan governments allowed to remain.

I agree that writer was probably trying to be satirical - though I can't see why Carrie's clothes were thought to be either restrictive or partcularly Conservative. I thought they were cool, and showed a good fashion sense.

More generally, I found this a rather disappointing review, though. He did say some nice things about her - but his general approach was expecting to her be rather cheesy, and finding her to be good in spite of that. While some may applaud him for coming around, I found him rather supercilious and snarky.

The word "taliban" means "religious scholar". When it's spelt with a capital letter, with "The" in front, it usually refers to an ultra-Conservative group who took control of most of Afghanistan after the collapse of the Russian occupation. They've since been ousted from government, but they're still strong in large parts of the South, and in parts of Pakistan. They didn't bomb London or New York - that was al-Quaeda. However, their leader, Mullah Omar did give shelter to the man who planned the bombings - hence the allied involvement in helping the rebel Northern Alliance to oust them from Government.
    The reference to Carrie is offensive for two main reasons. Firstly Taliban activists are killing many of the service personnel from both our countries on a frequent basis. I would guess that writer has seen the regulat processions of fallen being brought through the streets of Wootton Bassett from RAF Lyneham. The Queen recently gave the honorary title "Royal" to the Wiltshire town of Wootton Bassett, in gratitude for the local people turning out every time to salute the coffins carried home. It's worth pointing out that the Taliban also kill many more Afghans they suspect of being even slightly Liberal.
    The second reason why it's offensive is that Carrie is a woman, and women are particularly restricted and abused under their ultra-Conservative regime. Carrie would not be allowed to get a degree, travel, or perform to a mixed audience under the Taliban. They have also showed bigotry in destroying historic Buddhist relics that all other Afghan governments allowed to remain.

I agree that writer was probably trying to be satirical - though I can't see why Carrie's clothes were thought to be either restrictive or partcularly Conservative. I thought they were cool, and showed a good fashion sense.

More generally, I found this a rather disappointing review, though. He did say some nice things about her - but his general approach was expecting to her be rather cheesy, and finding her to be good in spite of that. While some may applaud him for coming around, I found him rather supercilious and snarky.
    The Bamiyan Buddhas!

The things people will do because "idolatry" is a sin

Carrie Guru Carrie_Rocks_The_House's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Yeah he made a mistake BA is Carrie's 4th album. Great review

Concert Stars
    Ok. well as usual I come late to the party.
    Yes, great review.
    You guys have got to accept that there is a huge world out there that "does not trust" songs about Jesus and "a better life afterwards" and "our troubles being So Small".
    So the fact that she, as a person, clearly won this cynic over is a great thing.
    That is what Carrie does.
    She takes a stereotype like "country singer" and changes the way people see it.
    that is a great thing. That is what others in the genre "are not doing".
    Look, the issue with the outfit is simple: This is her first moment in front of London. She looked great! She also "took a rist". Those of us who know and love Carrie know that she will do that from time to time. Hello!
    Can anyone say "Haircut on AI during ITYS"??
    So who cares. The writer clearly doesn't. The writer was won over. As many many who see Carrie one way are blown away when she effortlessly becomes something else entirely.
    Was the Talaban comment disrespectful? No, and heres why. They guy is an idiot who did not realize the actual reference he was making. Let it go. Life is too short.
    He did not intend to talk about her clothes.
    She was amazing and they loved her. That is what I got and I am thrilled.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    He was fine with the faith-based songs. He said :
    "The lovely redemptive tale Jesus Take The Wheel climaxed with a glorious coda of the gospel standard How Great Thou Art,"

Why I think his attitude came across supercilious though stemmed from his references to "mainstream White America", "her unwillingness (or inability) to truly let herself go", "daft platitudes", "her attitude may have been fortune-cookie", "more meatily than you’d expect from a vegan", "without making a fool of herself.", "a mere competition winner". He even called her "the 21st-century Shania Twain" (when her attitude in bringing Country Music overseas has in fact been the opposite of Shania Twain's)

I know he said several nice things about her - but his basic attitude is that he likes her singing in spite of her background, and several aspects of her own behaviour. I may be nit-picking, but I find that rather uncalled for when welcoming a guest - especially as none of them seem validly supported crticisms of the music itself. For me, there were just too many things in this review that blunted the compliments he was paying her.

Concert Stars
    He was fine with the faith-based songs. He said :
    "The lovely redemptive tale Jesus Take The Wheel climaxed with a glorious coda of the gospel standard How Great Thou Art,"

Why I think his attitude came across supercilious though stemmed from his references to "mainstream White America", "her unwillingness (or inability) to truly let herself go", "daft platitudes", "her attitude may have been fortune-cookie", "more meatily than youd expect from a vegan", "without making a fool of herself.", "a mere competition winner". He even called her "the 21st-century Shania Twain" (when her attitude in bringing Country Music overseas has in fact been the opposite of Shania Twain's)

I know he said several nice things about her - but his basic attitude is that he likes her singing in spite of her background, and several aspects of her own behaviour. I may be nit-picking, but I find that rather uncalled for when welcoming a guest - especially as none of them seem validly supported crticisms of the music itself. For me, there were just too many things in this review that blunted the compliments he was paying her.
    I completly hear you. I do. But I still think that his writing got in his way (like the talaban comment).
    With respect to what you have written, still think he was taken by her. I truly think that is clear.
    Whatever else he brings to the table is his "issues". And of course, every writer brings those to the table.
    I still think he highlights the fact that, in spite of himself, he was taken by her.
    Were some of the comment unnecessary? Yes. But the people who are reading him get that.
    I still see someone (much like american critics) who can not deny her and her ability. But also her success in the face of an audience that "shouldn't have liked her" but Loved Her!!!!

Concert Stars
    just because the reviewer may have begrudgingly liked Carrie does not make this a good review.
    it is poorly written and the reference to the Taliban is severely offensive.
    and remarks like "her unwillingness (or inability) to truly let herself go" and "Her outlook may have been fortune-cookie" are smug and pompous.

lab
    Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by huggablebri View Post
    Scratching my head here. I agree with Tee totally. Man people here are being so sensitive. Even people here were commenting on her outfit. I thought the top/blouse was very conservative, and Tee I believe that is what the Taliban reference was about.

I agree!!! It is a GREAT REVIEW, FOR ME!!! IF, the critic used "SAUDIS" instead of "TALIBAN", then there is no debate. However, the VERY CONSERVATIVE DRESS of the Saudi Women are NOT WELL KNOWN to the WESTERN COUNTRIES. It just so happened that the VERY CONSERVATIVE DRESS of Taliban Women are really VERY POPULAR NOW, IN WESTERN COUNTRIES because of the war. NOT A BIG DEAL, FOR ME!!!

Huge Carrie Follower
    Concert Stars
    I just went to see te comments on the review. I am sure Carrie fan has heard of Ricky Smithson......that troll is all over CMT and any Carrie Review. It does pee me off, but I do not respond. It just bugs me that a non Carrie fan would read those comments and think it was real.....worst concert ever, terrible songs blah, blah. The part that hurt the most is that there were some real sound problems there. The one person commenting said she would pay to hear Carrie again, but not at Royal Albert Hall. The person was able to snag a better seat and got to listen to about half of the concert right. This person blamed the venue and said that for all of uts historical value, the fenue does not hold up to modern equipment. This person said they would never go to RAH again. Another person kind of ripped on the reviewer about the taliban clothing comment but I would have been happier with more positive comments. On the other hand, many that were there loved it and probably did not feel the need to comment. There were some statements about her not singing all of JTTW but there is no pleasing everyone. Kind of surprized that the person missing the last part of JTTW complained about the song tacked on.....doesn't make sense the person did not have an appreciation for HGTA when it is a Christian song. I don't think some of them get country music or they would not complain about the songwriting.......heck, several of them could have been Ricky Smithson aliases for that matter. Oh, well rant over. Not everyone is going to be fan.

Concert Stars
    You gotta remember that everything we are hearing is coming through devices that are not recording it the way it "actually sounded".
    To, Carrie has a very big voice, and for those who don't know what to expect may be a bit overwhelmed.
    But usually the real porblem is that the sound engineers usually need time to ajust to Carrie voice. And it usually takes the first portion of the conert for that to happen.
    That is not the case when she is on her normal tour.
    As far as negative comments, she will always get them. No one is perfect. And not everyone is going to "get her.
    Many many do.
    And as for that hater: we gotta figure out a way of making sure he is not aware of how effected we are by him.
    One person can either ruin your day or change it for the better.
    I am glad you wrote his name though. There is power in calling someone by name.
    That may be a strategy that we can use.
    This person obviously needs love and compassion.
    He begs for it daily (wink)

•  
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast