Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree217Likes

Thread: Carrie hates being compared with Taylor Swift

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by opry051008 View Post
    That's a personal problem I'm working on.... whenever there's a vote for Carrie vs someone else, even though I hate those stupid comparisons or may actually prefer the other person's outfit or recognize to total irrelevance of the poll, I simply cannot help myself and end up giving those websites hits so I can vote for Carrie. lol.
    I really don't think it is that serious. I mean through out our "humanity" we make comparisons.
    It's what makes us so smart.
    There is no need to beat yourself up over the idea of clicking on Carrie when asked what you like better.
    some like vanilla and some like chocolate.
    And you can spend all day talking up whichever one you like.
    There is really nothing wrong with it and it is in fact very natural to do so.
    Hurting someones feelings is not necessary.
    Saying things in an effort to bring someone down is not necessary.
    Shutting people up from their feelings or opinions is not necessary.
    Refusing to listen or consider in not necessary.
    But having a preference and saying so, and saying why, is not mean or cruel.
    It is, in fact, our nature.
    DaisyTweets, opry051008 and judes like this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    IMO she was asked about being compared to Swift and she would have given the same answer if she was asked about being compared to Miranda, Kelly, etc..

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by JB172 View Post
    IMO she was asked about being compared to Swift and she would have given the same answer if she was asked about being compared to Miranda, Kelly, etc..
    I agree. I think it is just another case of asked a direct question so she gave the best answer she could. I simply think she is trying to say they are different is all and room for both (IMO I think that is all SHE is saying).

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by pkc4rls View Post
    I agree. I think it is just another case of asked a direct question so she gave the best answer she could. I simply think she is trying to say they are different is all and room for both (IMO I think that is all SHE is saying).
    I totally agree and if I was her I would be sick of being compared to whoever it may be, she is Carrie Underwood and not Shania, Reba, Taylor, Kelly, Miranda or whoever.

Concert Stars
    Unfortunately in life comparisons are how we evaluate success..Right or wrong people will always compare artists to artists.... Back in the day I was a huge Pink Floyd fan and people would always try and Compare the Floyd to EMERSON LAKE AND PALMER.... And it would just blow my mind that the comparison could even be made... CARRIE is PINK FLOYD and TAYLOR is ELP.... ELP had great success for a few years and the slowly became irrelevant... FLOYD only grows in relevance and the music holds up forever...
    Carrieroxmysox2011 likes this.

Taylor who?

Concert Stars
    I've spent that last 15 years comparing the Ducks to the Kings with Kings fans at work.
    Even in watching the ducks win the stanley cup Kings fans still hated them and gave lots and lots of reasons for doing so.
    then of course my interest changed to the Preds. Well, you can imagine how thrilled the fans of the kings were to start hearing me talk about the preds.
    And all through watching the Kings win the stanley cup I endured the rasing.
    It really is all just simple trival pursuit.
    But hours can be spent talking about how and why your team is better and is getting a raw deal and is still superior.
    and no one sees any issue with it.
    And i don't either.
    what I don't understand is why it would not be the same when comparing singers.
    Lets say: Garth Brooks and Willy Nelson
    Let's say: Faith Hill and Shania Twain
    Let's say: The Beatles and The Rolling Stones

I don't get the issue.
    I certainly get the issue with Carrie saying; "I don't like the comparisons". I wouldn't either!
    But to suggest that it is bad or mean to do it is just not realistic, first off. And rather self serving second.
    Self serving only because the truth ends up being: "I don't want to hear people compare them".
    It's not a "right or wrong" issue.
    We do have brains! so we compare things.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by carebear4eva View Post
    Taylor who?
    Now you make a good point.

I hated those reviews where they used comparisons with Taylor or Miranda to drive a point. I think I even saw one that used a Pat Benatar comparison lol.

Concert Stars
    And I think that is more about what she is talking about.
    I don't think it is about the general public.
    I just don't think she necessarily likes to be asked questions about TS in her interviews.
    Most singers are like that and it makes sense.
    No one asks TS about J.Neddles by comparison. So why would they ask Carrie about TS?

Concert Stars
    ^ Nor do they try to compare Taylor to Carrie! lol
    Gator, pkc4rls and pklongbeach like this.

Concert Stars
    You know I nver thought of it that way. Hahaha Amazing.

Obsessed Carrie Fan Carrie Country's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by carebear4eva View Post
    Taylor who?

Exactly!! SWSRN is old news now that our sweet Carrie is back. Of course that's what always happens when Carrie comes back after taking time off between albums!!!!

Ultimate Carrie Fan supercarriefan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by pklongbeach View Post
    I've spent that last 15 years comparing the Ducks to the Kings with Kings fans at work.
    Even in watching the ducks win the stanley cup Kings fans still hated them and gave lots and lots of reasons for doing so.
    then of course my interest changed to the Preds. Well, you can imagine how thrilled the fans of the kings were to start hearing me talk about the preds.
    And all through watching the Kings win the stanley cup I endured the rasing.
    It really is all just simple trival pursuit.
    But hours can be spent talking about how and why your team is better and is getting a raw deal and is still superior.
    and no one sees any issue with it.
    And i don't either.
    what I don't understand is why it would not be the same when comparing singers.
    Lets say: Garth Brooks and Willy Nelson
    Let's say: Faith Hill and Shania Twain
    Let's say: The Beatles and The Rolling Stones

I don't get the issue.
    I certainly get the issue with Carrie saying; "I don't like the comparisons". I wouldn't either!
    But to suggest that it is bad or mean to do it is just not realistic, first off. And rather self serving second.
    Self serving only because the truth ends up being: "I don't want to hear people compare them".
    It's not a "right or wrong" issue.
    We do have brains! so we compare things.
    Comparing sports teams and musical artists are two different things. Sports are meant to be competitive, and can be talked about in a more objective manner. Art is not meant to be competitive...it is subjective. One can say that a certain sports team is terrible this season because they are losing...it wouldn't be an opinion, but a fact. Musical taste is different for everyone, and that is why comparisons are much harder to make. Your musical taste may be very different from mine, and we may make very different comparisons, but neither of us would be wrong because music comes down to opinion. You are right that it isn't a right or wrong issue, but it does get tiring to see female artists constantly compared to each other, and it does lend itself to fan wars because fans of artists involved in the comparison don't want to back down.

I think Carrie is just saying that as an artist she wants to be seen as "Carrie Underwood", not a different version of another artist. She wants to be considered on the basis of her own talent.

BTW, Taylor and Carrie are compared because they are both female solo artists. Jennifer Nettles isn't brought into the mix because she is in a duo. People tend to keep the categories separate when making comparisons, comparing duos/groups to other duos/groups and solo artists to other solo artists.
    gocountrymusic likes this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan Carrie&Taylor's Avatar
    If Faith and Martina were the top 2 in country music right now, it would all be about Martina vs. Faith. But right now and for the last 6+ years, it's Carrie and Taylor.
    gocountrymusic and Suellen like this.

Concert Stars
    Carrie knows that she is a better technical singer ( heck, the whole world knows ) but does it really matter. She also respects Taylor for her talent. They are different and both highly successful. Who is more successful could be argued forever. I think Carrie is trying to kindly say that she dislikes comparisons because it leads to negative discussion which eventually leads to criticism. She would prefer that not happen. That is the kind of person that she is. Each has a style and skills that are liked by huge fan bases and comparing one to the other for the sake of winning is somewhat silly especially when it gets down and dirty. As fans, we should learn from Carrie and not stoop to all the negative stuff. I prefer Carrie's style but I also respect that Taylor brings a lot to the music business in her own way. They can both have successful careers without the need to worry that one will destroy the other. It's not just how good you sing but how you affect the listener. Both have captured an audience and that's all that matters.

Carrie Guru Carrie_Rocks_The_House's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    They are different artist they need to stop making Carrie and Taylor rivals
    CrazyDreams1818 likes this.

Idk. I used to think that Taylor hadn't really brought any fans to country music, but after attending CMA Fest and talking with a lot of people there (two HUGE Taylor fans included), I do see where she has brought people to the genre. Her music may not sound very country, but she's still billed as a country artist and because of that there's slightly less of a stigma attached to the genre, where people feel okay checking out other country artists.

Huge Carrie Follower CrazyDreams1818's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by epicamends View Post
    Idk. I used to think that Taylor hadn't really brought any fans to country music, but after attending CMA Fest and talking with a lot of people there (two HUGE Taylor fans included), I do see where she has brought people to the genre. Her music may not sound very country, but she's still billed as a country artist and because of that there's slightly less of a stigma attached to the genre, where people feel okay checking out other country artists.
    If it wasn't for me listening to Taylor's music a few years back, I never would have started listening to Carrie. I had an idea that all country music was the old-school type of country, and hearing Taylor helped me realize that there was other types of country music. Which helped me discover Carrie's music, and learn to love all types of country music.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by epicamends View Post
    Idk. I used to think that Taylor hadn\'t really brought any fans to country music, but after attending CMA Fest and talking with a lot of people there (two HUGE Taylor fans included), I do see where she has brought people to the genre. Her music may not sound very country, but she\'s still billed as a country artist and because of that there\'s slightly less of a stigma attached to the genre, where people feel okay checking out other country artists.
    She has brought a lot of fans into the country genre which has benefited other artists and anyone who does not think so are either haters or are in denial.

•  
    Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast