• 9 Post By sco
  • 4 Post By nccountrygal
  • 11 Post By 12russ79
  • 5 Post By Mirasa45A
  • 2 Post By gran29
  • 3 Post By Gator
  • 3 Post By Carrie_Rocks_The_House
  • 5 Post By rainbow1

Thread: Country music star Carrie Underwood wants to win the world over with music, not polit

Junior Carrie Follower

Country music star Carrie Underwood wants to win the world over with music, not polit

In an interview with British newspaper The Independent, Underwood, who is married, was quoted as saying she believes everyone should have the right to love. She also noted that her church was gay-friendly and it wasn’t her job to judge people.

Underwood’s comments created a backlash online from those angry with her stance.

Speaking in London, Underwood was uncomfortable revisiting the subject and said she was staying away from reading the reactions.

“I was asked a difficult question in the last five minutes of an interview and I answered it the best way I knew how, and after that I do what I do and I love making music and I generally try to stay out of any kind of controversy,” she told The Associated Press in an interview Tuesday.

That said, Underwood is a former “American Idol” and Grammy winner who knows what she says will be heard.

“The role-model word is really scary to me, because no matter what happens in your life, something you do, wear, say, sing, whatever — somebody somewhere is probably not going to like it too well,” she said. “I just really try hard to do what I do and try to be nice to people and make great music and if people think they can look up to that, that’s wonderful. If not, that’s OK too.”

The American star is in the U.K. to win over English hearts with her music. Her latest album, “Blown Away,” is her first actual British release. She’s also playing a sold-out show Thursday at London’s Royal Albert Hall that will feature her latest material as well as older hits like “Before He Cheats.”

She’s promising a laid-back show, compared to past American gigs which had flying pick-up trucks on the stage.

The Oklahoma-born star has been to London before but just on a tourist trip to see the sights.

“I didn’t sign autographs or anything then, nobody was coming to hear me sing, this is a definite difference this time round,” she said.

Underwood hopes breaking into the U.K. market will in some way rebalance the flood of successful English acts like Adele, One Direction and The Wanted who are taking over the American charts.

“We’re kind of being invaded right now, in the U.S, in a good way,” she said. “I do think it would be really cool if I were loved and accepted here, that’s the hope for this week.”

Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Carrie Guru
    Thanks for posting Carrie2011. I would really like to leave this thread open because I think it's important for people to see what Carrie has said about this issue.

So I ask everyone to refrain from any comments that would cause us to lock this thread. Thanks.

Very interesting. I'm soooo over this whole thing already.

I hope Blown Away becomes a hit there.

sco
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by opry051008 View Post
    Thanks for posting Carrie2011. I would really like to leave this thread open because I think it's important for people to see what Carrie has said about this issue.

So I ask everyone to refrain from any comments that would cause us to lock this thread. Thanks.
    I think she handled the issue quite well. She didn't backtrack from what she said but made it clear that she was stating her own personal opinion not making a political statement. She also points out what she undoubtedly learned long ago that as somebody in the public eye there is no way to please everybody.

Junior Carrie Follower
    Quote Originally Posted by sco View Post
    I think she handled the issue quite well. She didn't backtrack from what she said but made it clear that she was stating her own personal opinion not making a political statement. She also points out what she undoubtedly learned long ago that as somebody in the public eye there is no way to please everybody.
    This is the MAIN problem I have with this issue. IT IS NOT a political issue. It's a human/civil rights issue. Equal rights starts, fills in the middle and ends this discussion.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by sco View Post
    See this is why I don't understand what a big deal this was in the first place. She never said anyone had to agree with her. Anyways, personally I don't think what she said should have created some of the responses I read. I will just leave it at that and I am ready to move on from this and I sure hope this does not keep getting brought up in interviews. I am ready to get back to focusing on the music again!

Concert Stars
    Carrie won me over by being an incredible vocalist that is genuinely a good person also.... If europe appreciates people like that then she will win them over also.... I'm very proud to be a CARRIEFAN FOREVER!!!!!
    ydumarp, liz278, Ann055 and 8 others like this.

Concert Stars
    Good luck this week, Carrie! You are bound to win over those U.K. hearts!

Huge Carrie Follower huggablebri's Avatar
    Carrie is very media savvy. I think the worst thing she could have done was to backtrack from what she said. To say that it was taken out of context or anything like that.

Carrie Guru
    “I was asked a difficult question in the last five minutes of an interview and I answered it the best way I knew how, and after that I do what I do and I love making music and I generally try to stay out of any kind of controversy,” she told The Associated Press in an interview Tuesday.
    Wpw, what an honest and a very good answer ! I am very proud of you, Carrie Underwood !

Concert Stars
    She responded to the AP question exactly the way she should have. I think the only ones who will not let it go now are the tabloids and the fringies who will keep harping on it for the attention. It's always been that way and I'm afraid it will never change.
    Cathie Wynkoop and oldyfan like this.

Concert Stars
    Yes, if she continues to answer in this manner, there will be no feul for fire (or brimstone for that matter, wink).
    And life will simply go on. With us all learning alittle more about eachother. For better or for worse.
    We're in this thing together. I hope it stays that way.

Concert Stars
    Carrie is such a class act. She answers questions humbly and honestly. Plus, she knows how to handle the media well. Love her!
    bearball49, oldyfan and clh_hilary like this.

Carrie Guru Carrie_Rocks_The_House's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by opry051008 View Post

No problem BTW I like your animated picture of Carrie playfully kicking the interviewer's foot when she was looking at her questions for Carrie

Concert Stars
    Carrie is doing such a great job in the UK!!!!!

Concert Stars
    I think she handled herself very well!

Huge Carrie Follower
    Concert Stars
    She made the best of a bad situation with honesty and poise. I am proud of her....she could have given a chicken sh... answer and looked even worse. She maintains her honesty and integrity and by continuing in the same vein, the storm will settle.

Obsessed Carrie Fan NC State Carrie Fan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    So proud of her for making a perfect statement! Can I possibly love anymore? Haha

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by bearball49 View Post
    She made the best of a bad situation with honesty and poise. I am proud of her....she could have given a chicken sh... answer and looked even worse. She maintains her honesty and integrity and by continuing in the same vein, the storm will settle.
    I am also very proud of her. She is staying true to herself.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Carrie is a class-act. She handled the situation with poise. She always answers with honesty. I have a lot of love and respect for Carrie. She's an inspiration. Thank you for posting, Carrie2011.

•