Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Roughstocks comments on BA

Carrie Guru

Roughstocks comments on BA

Roughstock has a weekly single recap.
    The Weekly Single Recap: June 14, 2012 | New Country Music, Listen to Songs & Video | Roughstock.com

The song has already sold over 200,000 digital tracks and as what's interesting is that it may be the most 'epic' sounding single of Carrie's storied career thus far. Certainly, the vocals rival anything she's ever done and the production from Mark Bright suits the lyric and vocal to a T. In fact, in many ways, "Blown Away" feels like something you'd hear from Coldplay (a good thing to me). It may not be traditional in any melodic structure but lyrically "Blown Away" is as country as you can get. I have no doubts that this single will get massive airplay and well it should as it's easily one of the album's best songs and as I said above, one of her best vocal performances ever.
    They also mention Eighteen Inches for Lauren.

Thanks for posting opry! That's great -- Blown Away is going to blow everyone away!!!
    oldyfan likes this.

Concert Stars
    Thanks for sharing, great review.

I really am hoping for more than just a single-week #1 and Platinum status from this song....I know that several artists would kill for that much, but I want more from this song...Just...MORE! Crossover success, larger sales, (2x Platinum, maybe?), single awards....All of the above
    Marie2011, oldyfan, Gator and 3 others like this.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    I am actually hoping this song is bigger than BHC!

Quote Originally Posted by carebear4eva View Post
    I really am hoping for more than just a single-week #1 and Platinum status from this song....I know that several artists would kill for that much, but I want more from this song...Just...MORE! Crossover success, larger sales, (2x Platinum, maybe?), single awards....All of the above

I'm the same way. This song is just that GREAT. It deserves at least 4 weeks at #1 (or that's my wish at least). LET'S DO THIS

Concert Stars
    Thanks, Opry. Cannot wait for the full-blown "Blown Away" effect! I cannot wait until this song is in power rotation on radio, and for the video release. An EPIC masterpiece!

Concert Stars
    Nice writeups on everyone really - good job - but I love Carrie's for Blown Away - you can feel the excitement people have for this single and also Lauren for Eighteen Inches - the lyrics in the songs are great, it made me tear up the first time I heard it and Lauren does a good job with it - I hope it does well for her
    Farawayhills and Marie2011 like this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan supercarriefan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Great comments from Roughstock about BA. I hope that this song has a smooth run at radio, and doesn't hit any big roadblocks like GG did. Over the past year, very few songs have had the chance to get more than 2 weeks at number one. I hope the buzz around BA holds up (and the charts don't get too jammed up), so that it can get at least 2 weeks at the top, and possibly more.
    Best of luck to Lauren with Eighteen Inches. It is one of the most radio-friendly songs on the radio, and is the type of story that country fans should eat right up. I'm hoping she can at least crack the top 20 with this one, but I believe the song deserves to go further than that.

Great comment! I follow Matt Bjorke at twitter, and he has tweeted positive comments about BA before.
    Ann055, rainbow1 and teesharky like this.

Concert Stars
    awesome!! nice to see such positive feedback for BA.

thank God the 9513 is gone. lol They would call it pop bombast or some other absurdity.
    rainbow1, JB172 and opry051008 like this.

Concert Stars
    awesome thanks for sharing this!

A lil city in the middle of a lil island in the middle of a lil country in the middle of the sea
    it's true that this is one of Carrie's best vocal performances and it's amazing that she didn't or minimize the use of her vibrato in this song especially in the high notes and yet she still sounds GREAT!!!

Concert Stars
    It may not be traditional in any melodic structure but lyrically "Blown Away" is as country as you can get.
    I actually initially thought Jesus, Take the Wheel was slightly "nontraditional," not structurally, but because of the long note in the last chorus. Not many artists hold out a single long note at the end of a song as the climax, probably because most "artists" nowadays don't even have the vocal ability to do so (although some of Martina McBride's songs do the same thing, like in "Anyway"). But it was probably odd to me at the time because, as I've revealed a few times here already, I used to be a bit of a Mariah Carey fan before Carrie and the same year JTTW came out, We Belong Together did too, which features a long note at the end of the song. Most country artists don't show off their vocals too much so when I heard JTTW I thought the long note was awesome, and it was probably something that made me like JTTW even more when I first heard it.

Also, one thing I've always found odd is how in every performance of JTTW, and probably even in the very first live JTTW performance too, Carrie holds out the long note a bit longer than in the studio version. I found that sort of weird because Carrie usually doesn't change up a song until she's gotten used to singing it live, and even then it's a small enough change that they probably could have incorporated it into the studio version. The same with Blown Away. The last note is relatively short in the studio version, but in every live performance of BA, Carrie has held the last note a bit longer than the studio version. This makes me wonder if they just didn't think of "longer notes" until rehearsing the songs live, or if they did it intentionally because they knew the long notes would be more impressive live. This is understandable since the note in BA is at the end, but the one in JTTW isn't and whenever I hear the studio version it always sounds a bit incomplete.

Quote Originally Posted by jaks_weyn View Post
    it's true that this is one of Carrie's best vocal performances and it's amazing that she didn't or minimize the use of her vibrato in this song especially in the high notes and yet she still sounds GREAT!!!
    I think I may be interpreting your post wrong, but actually I would say Carrie has to make sure she doesn't use any vibrato on those big notes. I listened to BA again just now to be sure and it sounds like she only uses vibrato during the 4 "blown aways" (excluding the very last one) at the end of the song. The drawn out notes, as someone also mentioned elsewhere, I think are purposefully meant to sound like a tornado siren which is basically one long note. It sounded like she slipped into a tiny bit of vibrato on the long note at the end of her BMA performance and I remember thinking, wow, that note doesn't work as well with vibrato - because it really does sound more impressive when the last note mimics a wailing siren rather than the human voice.

A lil city in the middle of a lil island in the middle of a lil country in the middle of the sea
    Quote Originally Posted by The Nanook View Post
    I think I may be interpreting your post wrong, but actually I would say Carrie has to make sure she doesn't use any vibrato on those big notes. I listened to BA again just now to be sure and it sounds like she only uses vibrato during the 4 "blown aways" (excluding the very last one) at the end of the song. The drawn out notes, as someone also mentioned elsewhere, I think are purposefully meant to sound like a tornado siren which is basically one long note. It sounded like she slipped into a tiny bit of vibrato on the long note at the end of her BMA performance and I remember thinking, wow, that note doesn't work as well with vibrato - because it really does sound more impressive when the last note mimics a wailing siren rather than the human voice.
    Yep... i was actually talking bout the BIG notes... She did use vibratos in some parts (the 4 last AWAaAaAaAYs except the very last) but it's not as obvious as her other songs
    I agree that not using vibrato works with the song very well especially with Carrie's voice... But for others who doesn't have a voice like hers, i dunno, but i feel they need to use vibratos to enhance the note... I'm not a singer but whenever i sing BA in the shower, i feel i need to put a vibrato at the end of the long notes especially the big AWAAAAAYs and the low YESTERDAAAAAAY... That's because I don't have the male version of Carrie's angelic voice...

Quote Originally Posted by jaks_weyn View Post
    Yep... i was actually talking bout the BIG notes... She did use vibratos in some parts (the 4 last AWAaAaAaAYs except the very last) but it's not as obvious as her other songs
    I agree that not using vibrato works with the song very well especially with Carrie's voice... But for others who doesn't have a voice like hers, i dunno, but i feel they need to use vibratos to enhance the note... I'm not a singer but whenever i sing BA in the shower, i feel i need to put a vibrato at the end of the long notes especially the big AWAAAAAYs and the low YESTERDAAAAAAY... That's because I don't have the male version of Carrie's angelic voice...
    stupid question but what in the world is a vibrato?

Ultimate Carrie Fan bigbluegrl23's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Marie2011 View Post
    stupid question but what in the world is a vibrato?
    You know how a singer can make their voices echo? Not even sure that's the best way to describe it but that's the vibrato. when carrie sings, "Shatter every window, till its all blown awayyyyyy" she uses no vibrato.
    Becca

Quote Originally Posted by bigbluegrl23 View Post
    You know how a singer can make their voices echo? Not even sure that's the best way to describe it but that's the vibrato. when carrie sings, "Shatter every window, till its all blown awayyyyyy" she uses no vibrato.
    Becca
    oh ok

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    awesome!! nice to see such positive feedback for BA.

thank God the 9513 is gone. lol They would call it pop bombast or some other absurdity.
    They might have liked it though. I don't think they opposed contemporary sounds as such. I often felt that Malec gave a pass to artists whom he thought had limitations, but were doing their best within that frame - but was harsh on artists he thought were settling for less than their capabilities. I think one of his main points was that Carrie had often seemed to him to have songs that weren't strong or distinctive enough to fulfill her potential. I know that annoyed fans - but, who knows, Blown Away might have won him round! The experimental innovations in the music and vocal fit the song, and are bold (though I'm not putting them above "Good Girl") The song itself is hard-hitting, with its themes of abuse, revenge and release. I agree with the Roughstock reviewer - it's traditional "Country with attitude" in inspiration, combined with modern sounds. If that didn't fit Jim Malec's bill, I think he'd have had to scratch his head to find some new reasons.
    Ann055 likes this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    awesome!! nice to see such positive feedback for BA.thank God the 9513 is gone. lol They would call it pop bombast or some other absurdity.
    The 9513 got to the point of just being laughable when whoever reviewed whatever the current single was would say the song is alright and her vocals are really good but she needs to do this or that then on the next single Carrie would do this and that but then whoever the writer of the article was would find something else to complain about.

I never bought any praise from anyone off of that site that was given to Carrie because IMO all their "praise" was fake praise and was just put out there to keep them from looking even more foolish than what they alread did, if they didn't care for the way she go to where she did or they just didn't like her music just say so instead of taking a cowards way out like that whole site did and saying things they really didn't mean just to make themselves look better.
    Claire2004 likes this.

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast