Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree118Likes

Thread: Underwood speaks from the heart, to her credit

Underwood speaks from the heart, to her credit

Underwood speaks from the heart, to her credit
    JEFFREY REMZ | JUNE 15, 2012

Gay marriage and country music was thrust into the spotlight last week by Carrie Underwood in an interview she did with The Independent of England, in advance of her first British show ever next week.

Near the end of the story by Guy Adams, he wrote, "Does she ever struggle, I ask, to square her religion with the progressive, gay-friendly mores of the music industry?

"Our church is gay-friendly," she responds, seeming suddenly energised. "Above all, God wanted us to love others. It's not about setting rules, or [saying] 'everyone has to be like me'. No. We're all different. That's what makes us special. We have to love each other and get on with each other."

"As a married person myself, I don't know what it's like to be told I can't marry somebody I love, and want to marry. I can't imagine how that must feel. I definitely think we should all have the right to love, and love publicly, the people that we want to love."

Underwood, who prays daily with husband Mike Fisher, has engaged in other social issues, particularly in being vegan, although frankly that's not quite as sexy, prominent or controversial an issue as gay marriage.

In fact, most country artists seem to eschew politics, perhaps afraid of what happened to the Dixie Chicks who were roundly chastised for going against President George W. Bush in advance of the Iraq war.

There are a few who make their voices heard - John Rich, perhaps first and foremost, his musical partner Kenny Alphin about war-torn Africa, Tim McGraw and a few others.

But most don't want to stick their out, unless their idea of politics is saying how great the south is compared to New York City or writing and/or singing pro-American songs (Toby Keith is example number one).

Underwood isn't likely to be leading any gay pride parades anytime soon, but she made her personal feelings known when asked. She didn't duck the issue. Instead, she answered it honestly and in a straightforward manner. Kudos for Underwood for taking a stand, speaking from the heart and saying what was on her mind. That's not always such an easy thing to do when concerned about keeping a great career going and wondering about any possible backlash. Underwood apparently wasn't, and that's to her credit.
    From Country Standard Time: Underwood speaks from the heart, to her credit

My purpose in posting this article is not to spark any more debates about the issue. It's pretty clear by now that it will take much more than a debate on an internet forum site to convince one side of the soundness of the other. My purpose is just to show that there are people out there including those from country music who think highly of Carrie for speaking out about a topic she evidently feels strongly about. They may or may not agree with her, but it's clear that she's admired for speaking out truthfully about this.

Thanks for posting! Positive article!

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire2004 View Post
    My purpose in posting this article is not to spark any more debates about the issue. It's pretty clear by now that it will take much more than a debate on an internet forum site to convince one side of the soundness of the other. My purpose is just to show that there are people out there including those from country music who think highly of Carrie for speaking out about a topic she evidently feels strongly about. They may or may not agree with her, but it's clear that she's admired for speaking out truthfully about this.
    Thank you for posting. I agree with your entire post with the exception of the one highlighted word. It is very debatable as to what Carrie said was truth... I mean in its entirety using a biblical worldview. Yes, she spoke from her heart based on what she believes to be true.

There are a number of things she said that, IMO, are not accurate based on Scripture. I don't want to start a debate on this but just wanted to point this out.

Carrie Fans Legend countryfan2006's Avatar
    Thanks for posting this article, people should just be happy with Carrie for talking about this not saying "I won't support her" blah blah blah. of you do that then you weren't really a true Carrie fan in the first place.
    Countryfan2448 and bearball49 like this.

Concert Stars
    I just wish Carrie would've kept her views to herself. just like anything else political. I don't wanna know where she stands on abortion, political party, etc. I know she Loves God, and i look up to her for her being a christian. its sad i don't agree with her on this. something i could've went without. Not everyone is gonna love what you do i guess.

Insane Carrie Fan AdrianAustraliaCarrie's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Here here - great article!

Concert Stars
    Carrie is bold enough and honest enough and sincere enough to speak from her heart and show her love of humanity!
    pklongbeach, JB172 and bearball49 like this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Pi314CA View Post
    Thank you for posting. I agree with your entire post with the exception of the one highlighted word. It is very debatable as to what Carrie said was truth... I mean in its entirety using a biblical worldview. Yes, she spoke from her heart based on what she believes to be true.

There are a number of things she said that, IMO, are not accurate based on Scripture. I don't want to start a debate on this but just wanted to point this out.
    If you don't want to start a debate, then DO NOT mention it in your post.
    carebear4eva and Ann055 like this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire2004 View Post

She should be admired for it, it's not a subject that many celebs are going to answer honestly because of $$$$$$$$$ reasons, but she wanted to say what she did and good for her.

Huge Carrie Follower
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by carebearcarrie View Post
    I just wish Carrie would've kept her views to herself. just like anything else political. I don't wanna know where she stands on abortion, political party, etc. I know she Loves God, and i look up to her for her being a christian. its sad i don't agree with her on this. something i could've went without. Not everyone is gonna love what you do i guess.
    She was asked a point blank question. No matter what her answer, she was not going to please everyone. Not a political statement, just a human equality issue and Carrie will always be compassionate. The church has much bigger problems than this. Churches are going bankrupt because so few attend. If believing in God being a kind and loving God instead of the Hellfire and Damnation that sent everyone away, wonderful. Maybe we can start once again see people return to a kind gentle people instead of what society is. Regardless, she asked no one for support.....just stated a personal opinion and one that is the opinion of HER Christian church.

Huge Carrie Follower
    Concert Stars
    Really appreciated you sharing. I have been avoiding my daily dose of HGTA because I was not up for the hate. I listened today and was pleasantly surprized. No more than the usual detractors. If people want to hate, they will but most were supportive. People were more negative on her BA from BBMA insisting it was lip synched.....lol. Not only are they wrong, it shows that other than in the south, as far as religion, a lot of peope just don't care. It is a personal choice with many alternative religions, agnostics and athiests.....whatever works for each individual. I am LDS and love my God and church, but their are some teachings I reserve my opinion on. If you do the best you can to be a good person and do good works, that should go along way to please any God. I know I rely heavily on His forgiveness because we all make mistakes.

sco
    Insane Carrie Fan

She spoke truthfully for her. Who is anybody to say what is the ultimate truth. People a hundred years ago were completely convinced that God was against inter-racial marriage. You will be hard pressed to find very many people today who believe that. What is the truth? Were people wrong or did God change his mind? I could go on and on but this is not the proper forum. The bottom line is Carrie spoke from the heart, stated her opinion and her reasoning behind it. Nobody is required to agree with her but she has every right to speak her mind and should be shown respect for doing so.

Concert Stars
    I think in the final analysis, Carrie will come out of this a better person, the country music community will come out looking more tolerant because of it, and that's a good thing.
    If you're having trouble wrapping your head around Carrie's position and her Christian beliefs, join the club. We've always had trouble reconciling our faith and who we are as a
    country. That debate has always made us a better country. Remember, HE will have the last word on this, so let HIM worry about it. I'm sure Carrie's not losing any sleep over this.
    As for me, I've been sleeping really good lately.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    IMO it was better for her that she answered the question because if she didn't and the interviewer put in their article that the question was asked but she didn't answer then pretty much everyone would have assumed what her answer was given her background and that assumption would have been wrong.
    carrieguy2, bearball49 and Ann055 like this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by JB172 View Post
    If you don't want to start a debate, then DO NOT mention it in your post.
    Okay.... for the most part, I've kept quiet in this whole matter. Here is what I perceive as the hypocrisy in this:

If the pro-gay say something, it's yeah... we should be able to say what we want... tolerance of others opinions.

If the anti-gay say something, then it's intolerance, it's bigotry, ... The irony is that the pro-gay crowd seems intolerant of others opinions. It seems that their definition of tolerance is acceptance.
    Cathie Wynkoop and rainbow1 like this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by sco View Post
    She spoke truthfully for her. Who is anybody to say what is the ultimate truth. People a hundred years ago were completely convinced that God was against inter-racial marriage. You will be hard pressed to find very many people today who believe that. What is the truth? Were people wrong or did God change his mind? I could go on and on but this is not the proper forum. The bottom line is Carrie spoke from the heart, stated her opinion and her reasoning behind it. Nobody is required to agree with her but she has every right to speak her mind and should be shown respect for doing so.
    I appreciate your post. The bolded part gets to the heart of the matter. Perhaps a thread on "what is truth?" or "what does the Bible say about (fill in the blank)?" would be educational, productive and worthwhile.

Concert Stars
    Okay.... for the most part, I've kept quiet in this whole matter. Here is what I perceive as the hypocrisy in this:

If the pro-gay say something, it's yeah... we should be able to say what we want... tolerance of others opinions.

If the anti-gay say something, then it's intolerance, it's bigotry, ... The irony is that the pro-gay crowd seems intolerant of others opinions. It seems that their definition of tolerance is acceptance.
    I don't think it's so much someone being against marriage equality, I think it's how SOME of the anti crowd approaches it.. I mean screaming, "You're going to hell" Not the best way.. using hate to make a point, NOT the way..

We had probably better steer away from discussion of the issue again or this thread will be closed too. The mods have made that very clear.

I believe Claire only posted this article so everyone could see some positive support.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars

The issue that I had with your post is you saying that you don't want to start a debate then in the SAME post you make a statement that would start a debate.

If you not looking to start a debate as you "claim" you don't want to start then do not post a statement that is debateable in the same post.

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast