Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Carrie Underwood Joins List of Country Superstars Who Support Marriage Equality

Carrie Underwood Joins List of Country Superstars Who Support Marriage Equality

Carrie Underwood Joins List of Country Superstars Who Support Marriage Equality

In an interview on ‘CBS This Morning’ a few weeks ago, ’90s country star Chely Wright talked about the painful process of coming out as a lesbian to the music industry. Although Wright hasn’t endured much open criticism from the country music industry, she admitted that she wished country stars would get vocal about supporting gay rights. It didn’t take long for Carrie Underwood to swoop to the rescue. Last week, she told the Independent that she believes in gay marriage.

As a Christian, Underwood endured some flack from religious groups by joining the ranks of a few other country superstars who support equality, if not marriage equality. Of course Wright is on the same page as Underwood, but would you believe that Garth Brooks, Toby Keith, and Dolly Parton share the same sentiment of love and respect for all? MJSBigBlog.com points out that it’s not uncommon for superstars to tackle this issue.

Last Fall, Keith spoke up about gay rights in the military to ‘CMT Insider.’ “That whole gay issue thing, that’s never bothered me,” he said. “I’ve never seen what that affects and [why] anybody should care — and they never do affect me.”

“First of all, we’re going to stop somebody from getting a marriage license because they’re gay? You won’t stop them from living together, so what have you accomplished? … Wasting a lot of money here and a lot of time that could be spent working on this deficit that we’re under.”

Back in 2009, Reba McEntire, Martina McBride and Rascal Flatts all came forward in support of tolerating alternative lifestyles. In an interview with ‘Out’ magazine, McEntire opened up about her stance.

“I just try not to judge. Don’t judge me, and I won’t judge you,” she told Out. “I have gay friends who have partners, and I see where they would want to get married. I understand why. So, I can’t judge that.”

McBride also talked about tolerance in an interview with the same magazine that year, although she didn’t address the issue of gay marriage. Rascal Flatts 2009 song ‘Love Who You Love’ was thought to be a testimony to accepting gay marriage. MJSBigBlog.com points out that Brooks’ 1992 song ‘We Shall Be Free’ contains the lyric, “When we’re free to love anyone we choose … We shall be free.”

Sounds like Wright got her wish before she wished it — plenty of country celebs are preaching tolerance if not all-out support of gay marriage.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    It's good to see Carrie isn't alone. There's plenty of country stars who share her views. I don't know why it was made into a big issue. Carrie didn't say anything offensive. Thank you for posting, Ann055.

One more reason to love Nashville, TN!

Concert Stars
    glad for the support from people..but I just really wish people would stop talking about it now...it needs to be made old news...
    judes likes this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan bigbluegrl23's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by kewlie78189 View Post
    glad for the support from people..but I just really wish people would stop talking about it now...it needs to be made old news...
    why? its a huge/positive news story.
    Becca

Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Glad this is posted at Taste of Country because that was where some of the worst comments were made about this issue and Carrie. Maybe some of those people that were criticizing Carrie will see that she is not the only country artist to support this issue.
    teesharky likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by nccountrygal View Post
    Glad this is posted at Taste of Country because that was where some of the worst comments were made about this issue and Carrie. Maybe some of those people that were criticizing Carrie will see that she is not the only country artist to support this issue.
    About half of those comments were cut and pasted from one poster...typical for anything written about Carrie. Am glad Taste of Country put this article out now.
    nccountrygal likes this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by nccountrygal View Post

It will never change their minds though - I think the next generation might have a chance to change it
    nccountrygal likes this.

Concert Stars
    Nice to know.
    Makes me feel not quite so bad supporting that industry.
    But I have to admit I am ready to move on to.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kewlie78189 View Post
    Actually though, it will be asked again at interviews - it won't just sink away, so anything that presents the viewpoint as more widespread and normal is a positive angle for Carrie's reception in quarters that are troubled by it.

"Taste of Country" began with a simple factual coverage - but then got some of the most widely quoted responses from readers (mixed, but including some strongly adverse views). I think "Taste of Country" have planned this response pretty well. In the photo spread they've sandwiched Carrie between a conservative Democrat and a moderate Republican, both Oklahomans, with a solid reputation, and tolerant views in this area.

In fact, though, there are differences - Toby Keith is basically saying the marriage issue doesn't matter, and other issues are more important; and Reba McEntire is basically saying she understands why it's wanted, but won't pronounce on whether it should happen. Carrie has given a more unequivocal statement. But the key difference, I think, is that Carrie has specifically related the issue to her faith. In fact there are significant differences in the way theologians, churches and other Christians interpret the passages on homosexuality - but this can be troubling to people who justify a contrary viewpoint by a particular interpretation they expect other Christians to share,

This article, I'm afraid won't settle the controversy - but it's welcome, in helping to reduce the impression (by some on both sides of the debate) that Carrie's isolated and going against her audience.

Concert Stars
    I am glad that the press is including all those who have supported it already. It doesn't make it look like she is the lone country star who has support equality for all. And the ones included - RF has in their album lines has come out as Christians, Reba who everyone looks up to and TK who is vocal on most things. I can't imagine the hate included on her timeline on twitter. So any support from others has got to be welcome.

Ultimate Carrie Fan bigbluegrl23's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    not gonna lie, I've always LOVED Toby Keith's music since I was a kid. he was one of the first country artists I ever loved besides Shania and Faith. But as I grew up, his politics did kind of turn me off. I assumed if he was so staunchly republican, he music be very socially conservative. However, don't get me wrong, I've always admired his support for our troops. but I am VERY happy to hear that he said this and when one of his songs came on the radio today, like carrie says, "I turned that sucker up!" His new song is so dang catchy.
    Becca

Quote Originally Posted by LouisaJessie View Post
    It's good to see Carrie isn't alone. There's plenty of country stars who share her views. I don't know why it was made into a big issue. Carrie didn't say anything offensive. Thank you for posting, Ann055.
    It's a big issue because Carrie Underwood is a Christian, she went to Free Will Baptist Church growing up, she sings Jesus takes the wheel, and How Great thou art, her husband Mike is also a Christian, and one of the things that Christians are not supposed to do is support same sex marriage, and since Carrie came out saying how she supports it, people are starting to wonder if Carrie Underwood is really a Christian.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Marie2011 View Post
    It's a big issue because Carrie Underwood is a Christian, she went to Free Will Baptist Church growing up, she sings Jesus takes the wheel, and How Great thou art, her husband Mike is also a Christian, and one of the things that Christians are not supposed to do is support same sex marriage, and since Carrie came out saying how she supports it, people are starting to wonder if Carrie Underwood is really a Christian.
    What you said is so true, but they are doing to Carrie what she said in her interview she as a Christian shouldn't do - judge someone on whether they are a Christian!
    nccountrygal likes this.

Please, let's not get into the same discussions again wherein the mods have closed the threads. The only reason I posted this in light of the recent closing of threads is to show there are positives out there too.

I hope everyone here keeps that in mind or this thread will get closed as well. Thanks.

Actually, Toby's not Republican. He comes from a Democratic voting family, but, like many people in his state, has tended to cross-vote. He says he voted Clinton twice and Bush twice. Fairly recently, he switched his registration from Democratic to Independent, Like the Dixie Chicks he was stereotyped by opponents for one particular thing, which wasn't really representative of their careers as a whole (in his case, the song "Courtesy of the Red, White and Blue - the Angry American"). Like them, he went along with the imagery for a while, and then became alarmed at the extent to which he was being demonized by opponents. I've always thought he's a more complex character than the image in the press. He has Liberal friends (Willie, Jimmy Buffet, Governor Richardson of NM - and he got very angry when the press said he'd clashed with Kris Kristofferson)

I'm not surprised he expressed these views on same sex issues.
    carrieguy2 likes this.

so glad that there are still open minded people. lol

Insane Carrie Fan AdrianAustraliaCarrie's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Marie2011 View Post
    A great article by Taste Of Country and it's a shame Carrie is supposedly copping 'backlash' - what is the extent (outside of CF)?

Do you support Carrie with this Maria or no? Just wondering, there's nothing wrong with it if you don't. Everything you've said is true but they are contradictory to themselves. Carrie supports gay marriage because she's a free-will baptist (namely previously) and non-denominational now - she believes, and rightfully so, that Jesus (God) loves everyone and should be accepted as equal just like anyone else! This is modern day Christianity if you'd like to call it that and I support this but it's Catholics (the namely one of the denominations) that do not like/accept gay marriage and I understand why, because that's what they've thraditionally been taught, preached and pronounced! I'm a Catholic, not that I claim it, but that's where a big part of anti-gay comes from and I understand why. I however disagree with anti-gay talk and refer to myself as a lover of God and accepter of anyone and I think that this is the case here with Carrie and how it should be! It's future accepting generations that will further embrace, celebrate and accept gay marriage on par with man/woman traditional marriage down the track.

Christians differ in the interpretation of Scriptural passages concerning same sex relationships - not just here, but in churches and theological colleges and individual consciences. This has been so for a long time. It certainly can't be settled here - and there's probably no point in using a fan forum to tell each other why we think any of us are right or wrong. There are active religious discussion forums where issues like this are developed. Here as fans, the best thing is probably to respect each others' position

Turning to Adrian's question about what is the extent of the reaction - it's still too early to tell. Using Twitter, you may not see much by just searching on Carrie Underwood - you need to find the buttons at the top of the results, ignore "top", and click on "all". Looking through these is a long job, but it can give a fuller impression of different views. My feeling is that's she's getting considerably more support than opposition. On things like Facebook and blog comments, you have to remember that the comments are often not very representative . The more heated people feel, the more likely they are to go to a blog and make a post. Some of the comments tend to be multiple posts from the same person, with "echo" posts from like minded followers. Opposition seems to come from two main quarters - people of faith, who disagree with Carrie's interpretation and are troubled by the fact that's she's relating her standpoint to her own faith; and, secondly, "culture war" enthusiasts with a strong political agenda, who've been active on the Country blogs for a long time, and see opposition to same sex marriage as a focus issue to rally supporters to their cause.

At the moment, my feeling is that any "backlash" is not very large, and there are few signs yet that it will seriously damage Carrie's career. She has a largely supportive fan base; as with vegetarianism, a significant part of her own fan demographic is more receptive to her view than the opponents seem to think; some of the Country sites are writing articles showing respect for her - and that reflects the fact that many fans, musicians and journalists are disturbed by the stereotype that it's often perceived as a intolerant, one track genre.

However,the key for Carrie's present career level will tend to be the attitude of radio, and how divisive they might see her, for their audience and advertisers - and I think it's still too early to judge that. For that reason, we shouldn't let people exaggerate the "backlash" (which some on both sides are only too ready to do). Showing her support as an artist is important, to let people see she has a following as a Country singer that's too big to ignore

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    That is a good read.

On a side note, is there a picture of Toby where he doesn't have some sort of drink in his hand? lol

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast