Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Does a No. 1 song make you famous anymore?

Concert Stars

Does a No. 1 song make you famous anymore?

Ann055, Ace, Gator and 8 others like this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan supercarriefan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Very interesting article! Thanks for posting.

I think country radio needs to re-evaluate how things are done. The problem doesn't lie with the listeners, but with the programming. Why would we as an audience listen to a radio station that is playing the same songs nearly every hour? It's pointless. Radio needs to step into current times, and realize that they are only going to remain a relevant market if they broaden their horizons in terms of music played. A bigger problem is that Clear Channel owns a ridiculous amount of radio stations now.
    It's sad that getting a #1 song today means far less than it once did. I think many listeners see through the political and business side of things, and know that there are songs that may be very deserving of hitting the top that won't ever get there because they aren't by the right artist. They also know that songs by certain artists are almost guaranteed to be hits because of who they are, not the quality of the song itself.
    It seems like we get the same artists having number hits over and over again with very few fresh faces at the top.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by supercarriefan View Post

I think country radio needs to re-evaluate how things are done. The problem doesn't lie with the listeners, but with the programming. Why would we as an audience listen to a radio station that is playing the same songs nearly every hour? It's pointless. Radio needs to step into current times, and realize that they are only going to remain a relevant market if they broaden their horizons in terms of music played. A bigger problem is that Clear Channel owns a ridiculous amount of radio stations now.
    It's sad that getting a #1 song today means far less than it once did. I think many listeners see through the political and business side of things, and know that there are songs that may be very deserving of hitting the top that won't ever get there because they aren't by the right artist. They also know that songs by certain artists are almost guaranteed to be hits because of who they are, not the quality of the song itself.
    It seems like we get the same artists having number hits over and over again with very few fresh faces at the top.

I agree with you that it doesn't mean as much as it use to, it has got to the point where all the top tier artist just wait in line for their song to get to number one then they are taken over by another top tier artist and so on.
    supercarriefan likes this.

Concert Stars
    Thanks for posting that, interesting read.

Carrie Guru
    To me, it's still important for statistical purpose ONLY (15 # 1, 20 # 1 )

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by supercarriefan View Post

Your point about the problem not being with the listener but with the programmer is what makes this trend so interesting.
    There are two things going no here:
    Radio is an industry that wants to be successful in and of itself. But it sold itself the record lables who need to sell product. In order to sell product record labels need the songs to be heard. IT does not serve them to have old music or "irrelevant music" being played. So radio, in order to keep the money from these record lables coming in, have got to play the labels product. They are suddenly not playing what they think will make for a successful radio station, they pare playing a labels product for profit in order to stay successful.
    It's a paradox.
    And then you have the listener. It is simply fact that people listen to radio differently now. It amy be because radio brought this upon them selves. Or it may be because radio was forced to change as listeners changed and now it is a snowball effect. We listen less and less cause we don't like what we hear so radio has less and less time to get us to hear the product labels what us to hear.
    It's facisnating really. And makes alot more sense to me now that I understand why programmers are playing the same 10 songs over and over and oever. It's cause I only listen to radio for ten minutes anyway so that is the only way I am going to hear the songs they want me to hear.
    Money money money. And its all "big corporate money". So I could care less weather they have success or not. I would just assume the whole thing cave in on itself (much like the realestate market) and let radio start over by winning people to them by playing the music people wnat to hear. Much like college radio.
    Oh well. Great for Carrie. terrible for Kellie Pickler.
    (and one day it won't be great for Carrie either).

Having a #1 song will STILL make you famous though. It just won't make you a superstar, or a star, but famous, yes.
    judes likes this.

Concert Stars
    This executive is preaching to the choir.

Ultimate Carrie Fan bigbluegrl23's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    I look more out carries single sales to determine which song is a hit. With the way GG is selling, it's obv a hit. Mama's song, not so much haha.
    supercarriefan and Claire2004 like this.

sco
    Insane Carrie Fan
    The bottom line is that the digital revolution has drastically changed the music industry as a whole. Even without taking into account the vast amount of piracy and illegal downloading going on people's habits are just different. My 16 year old rarely buys an entire album. She sample the songs and buys the ones she likes. My teenagers also rarely listen to the radio. They listen to their iPods or Pandora. I'm a whole lot older than most of you but I even find myself listening to traditional radio less and less. The disturbing thing about the original article, if it's accurate, is that they are predicting that radio stations will become more and more repetitive. I think that will just drive more people away and contribute to their demise. The successful ones will adapt to people's current tastes and habits and the others will die.
    pklongbeach likes this.

Concert Stars
    First off - this was written by a professor of music - it's liberal university thinking against business as usual - I really hate the influence that academia has on the arts too, so they are just as bad as business to me-
    I think they could reduce the number of spins the top songs get and allow for more songs on the radio = that I agree with but to say a #1 song doesn't mean anything anymore is your typical anti commercial statement. Radio is a business, even NPR which is public radio has promotion for the Islamic arts when it says funded by. I still believe radio programmers go by popularity and buzz of the listeners, why else would they have song challenges for new songs to go up against each other, the outcome makes a difference in whether that song will be played again, single sales, fan noise(calling the station to request) how else would Jason Aldean rise in popularity and get all those #1's - he does have alot of fans and buzz - I still think it takes fan buzz to stir a radio station to play a certain artist combined with labels asking for play -why has Carrie been so consistent with her top of the chart wins over 7 years - consistently good material and fans who are always asking for her songs. There have been some over the top manipulations and they have been discussed here but there aren't many. Women are the main listeners of country radio so mostly male artists are played. That's just the way it is - if it was totally manipulated we wouldn't have that situation. Besides cable radio has sprung up so fans can listen to whomever they want nowadays. Don't have to listen to commercial radio. I think a number one song can make you famous as it did for Carrie getting 6 weeks at #1 for JTTW - if she hadn't had that perhaps Before He Cheats would have propelled her forward but without those two number ones her career wouldn't have seen the awards and accolades as much.

Concert Stars
    I agree with everything you wrote but you are ignoring the point to the article.
    The writer does not discuss "how" the decissions get made to place certain songs on very high rotation.
    Of course it still has to do with public interest.
    It's only addressing the effect that playing only 10 of the 50 current songs over and over again is having on the way people listen to radio.
    And the changes that have occurred so dramatically in the last year suggest that songs like JTTW and BHC are a thing of the past.
    That was 7 years ago.
    What the writer is talking about are changes that are occurring right now and will effect the immediate future.
    That is the issue.
    Weather there is a liberal spin on his theory hardly changes the fact that it is still happening.
    It is happening. And his point is that it no longer matters who is the #1 played cause the top 10 are all being massively played and no other song even has a chance.
    Liberal thinking or not, that is the reality.

Concert Stars
    ^^ Answering his title does a number one single make you famous and I say yes, it does for a lot of those that reach #1 , for instance Miranda Lambert with the House That Built Me - she got 8 nominations on that song alone. He asks" anymore"?? and I say yes, it will still get you noticed.

The fact of the matter is radio is a business - you don't really know why people aren't listening to the radio as much - it could be because they can go on youtube or ITunes and peruse new music rather than listen to the radio - radio came before TV and TV is having a hard time because of the computer and so is radio. Well I don't know what radio station he listens to but mine certainly doesn't play the same ten songs over and over. If that was the case how did they get there?Most debuted in the 40's 50's and 60's and worked their way to the top
    pklongbeach likes this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by JB172 View Post
    I agree with you that it doesn't mean as much as it use to, it has got to the point where all the top tier artist just wait in line for their song to get to number one then they are taken over by another top tier artist and so on.

Yes, but it still takes weeks for that song to reach the top ten. So reaching the top ten is an accomplishment in itself

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    Anyone know the history of why it seems like Mr. Chesney can storm his way up the charts? I mean he's had his share of less than stellar songs and he doesn't exactly have the best voice industry so I'm at a loss.
    supercarriefan likes this.

Ace
    Concert Stars
    Thanks for posting...this is a very interesting article and I can see why the author asked this question. To tell the true, with my iTune, iPod and blackberry, I have not turn on the radio for the past 2 years or so. But on the other hand, I still believe it is important and an achievement for the artist to have his/her song reach #1.

Ultimate Carrie Fan supercarriefan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by judes View Post
    ^^ Answering his title does a number one single make you famous and I say yes, it does for a lot of those that reach #1 , for instance Miranda Lambert with the House That Built Me - she got 8 nominations on that song alone. He asks" anymore"?? and I say yes, it will still get you noticed.

The fact of the matter is radio is a business - you don't really know why people aren't listening to the radio as much - it could be because they can go on youtube or ITunes and peruse new music rather than listen to the radio - radio came before TV and TV is having a hard time because of the computer and so is radio. Well I don't know what radio station he listens to but mine certainly doesn't play the same ten songs over and over. If that was the case how did they get there?Most debuted in the 40's 50's and 60's and worked their way to the top
    I don't know that The House That Built Me is a great example. I really think the industry would have rewarded that song without it getting the #1. THTBM was rewarded because it is a solid song. However, Lady A's Need You Now is certainly an example of a song getting rewarded for its success. I don't think that the industry would have rewarded that song as heavily without the #1.

I think a #1 may get someone temporary fame, but I think a great song will get you long term recognition. At country radio, there is such a revolving door on #1 that I don't think it gets an artist the attention it once did.

Sadly, gone are the days when a truly great song can sit at the top of the charts for more than a few weeks. Many great songs just have to simply take their turn like every other. Country radio seems bent on only allowing certain artists access to the top 10, while so many others struggle to get their songs into the top 30.
    Radio has become a business that pleases the labels and the industry more than it pleases the public.

Obsessed Carrie Fan Carrie&Taylor's Avatar
    That can say a lot then of Carrie's singles. It's away a guaranty that her songs will make the top 2. Some may think that "something" is going on, cause no country artist has every single on the charts like that. Am I right?

Concert Stars
    ^ They basically are saying that radio just plays the same songs from the same top ten artists over and over and it 's not really an accomplishment because everyone gets their turn at #1 , however ZBB just lost out on a number 1 so what happened there according to that theory - I don't agree as there are new artists breaking to the top and I can't see how they can orchestrate every song that comes along

Concert Stars
    interesting article!

i think it may be true that promotion of songs is more centralized just as more radio stations are being taken over by Clear Channel.

also the influence of the digital era.

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast