Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Carrie Underwood: Country Charts are a 'Boys Club'

Carrie Underwood: Country Charts are a 'Boys Club'

Carrie Underwood: Country Charts Are a 'Boys Club' - The Boot

Carrie Underwood's latest single, "Good Girl," from the current No. 1 album, Blown Away, is currently sitting pretty at No. 4 on the Billboard country singles charts. The Oklahoma native joins only a handful of female artists with Top 30 hits right now, including Miranda Lambert ("Over You") and Jana Kramer ("Why Ya Wanna"), who share space on a predominantly male-dominated chart. While that may seem like an outrage to one of music's most successful women, Carrie concedes it's more of a mixed blessing.

"I could totally lie right now and be like, 'I totally wish there were more [women on the charts],'" she admits to CMT. "I wish it was more accepted. I'm sure at some point we all feel a little ... 'oppressed' isn't the right word, but we're all part of this boys club. So maybe a little out of place. But the ones that we got are killing it, so maybe it's not about quantity. Maybe it's about quality. If us five or so can dominate, then I'm OK with that."

The superstar entertainer acknowledges she isn't concerned with whether or not her latest set of tunes is as successful as previous efforts.

"I don't know statistics, and I don't know what kind of songs people download more," she explains. "I just know what I like, and I know when I'm singing what feels good for me to sing and what songs I'd turn up on the radio and which ones I'd change. So I write for myself, I sing for myself, and if people like it, I guess they're a lot like me."

Now an accomplished songwriter, having contributed several of her own songs to her albums, Carrie says she's no longer concerned about her writing abilities.

"I'm not afraid to sound stupid anymore, which is always the biggest hump to overcome," she tells The Boot. "I also don't put that much pressure on myself to write everything. I don't think it's necessary. There are the best songwriters in the world right here in Nashville and I feel like I'd be doing myself a disservice, my album a disservice, and my fans a disservice to ignore that. It would be easy to sit down and write the whole album by myself, but it wouldn't be the best album that it could be."

Carrie will head out on her Blown Away tour later this year, with Hunter Hayes serving as her opening act. See a complete list of dates here.

Concert Stars
    her writing abilities are amazing...hope she gets even better as time goes on!
    Ann055 likes this.

Concert Stars
    I like her philosophy on getting songs. She only wants the best! Plus it gets some song writers a chance to shine!
    pklongbeach likes this.

Insane Carrie Fan CarrieUnderwoodismyHero's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    I love Carrie's honestly in how she feels. It's refreshing!
    Pi314CA and Ann055 like this.

Concert Stars
    I have to say though I would love to hear a song written by only Carrie. But as she said, the best songs should win.

Concert Stars
    I, to, would love if Carrie one day decided to write her own album.
    But I certainly don't need it. And I certainly think she is right that the way she is doing it gives her the best possible songs.
    But great songs are not always the best way to reach people.
    TS can tell you that.
    As Carrie gets more honest with her thoughts and words I hope she can learn to speak from both sides of her mouth alittle more.
    I know that sounds counter intuitive, but what I mean is, she has feelings about herself that can be very true but may not be true for someone else so as a celebrity she needs to be aware of what she says with regard to things like:
    "IT would be very easy to sit down and write the whole thing myself, but it would not be the best it could be".
    I would feel better if she reminded people that others may have great sucess that way, "but for her" it is not the best way.
    Or "If us five can dominate, than I'm ok with that".
    Ha ha, now that sounds like something I would say, but not Carrie Underwood.
    Cause that suggests that beyond the top five girls, there is no problem.
    Well, there are lot of girls out there that would disagree.

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    Has there ever been more than 5 women in country music that were charting at the same time? I don't think so! Seems to me, its always been a 'good ole boys club' and they're pretty stingy with who they let in. Maybe that's part of the problem with country radio/music -- they need an influx of more women at all levels!!!!!!

It's kinda interesting when you think about it, comparing country music to pop music -- it seems that women most dominate in the pop world and men in the country world!

She a gave what appears to me, an honest and thoughtful answer.
    bearball49 and Ace like this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by pklongbeach View Post
    I, to, would love if Carrie one day decided to write her own album.
    But I certainly don't need it. And I certainly think she is right that the way she is doing it gives her the best possible songs.
    But great songs are not always the best way to reach people.
    TS can tell you that.
    As Carrie gets more honest with her thoughts and words I hope she can learn to speak from both sides of her mouth alittle more.
    I know that sounds counter intuitive, but what I mean is, she has feelings about herself that can be very true but may not be true for someone else so as a celebrity she needs to be aware of what she says with regard to things like:
    "IT would be very easy to sit down and write the whole thing myself, but it would not be the best it could be".
    I would feel better if she reminded people that others may have great sucess that way, "but for her" it is not the best way.
    Or "If us five can dominate, than I'm ok with that".
    Ha ha, now that sounds like something I would say, but not Carrie Underwood.
    Cause that suggests that beyond the top five girls, there is no problem.
    Well, there are lot of girls out there that would disagree.

If Carrie had said, "it MIGHT not be the best it could be", I would've agreed with her. You never know when you sit down and write your own songs, you just might surprise even yourself
    by the quality.

The other phrase was Carrie being political. I know she doesn't want to bite the hands that feed her, the radio programmers. If she says what she really feels, there might be reprocussions.
    In other words, if there are 5 women in an obviously male dominated market, she's ok with that. But, I think she actually thinks like I do, "I can't stand all those freaking "Truck" songs by all those supposedly talented male country singers. How about some Sunny Sweeny, or Martina, or Reba, or Kelly Pickler, or, or, or. But, I don't have a career to lose, so I just post here.
    pklongbeach likes this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    Wonder how come they ask Carrie a question like that -- the one about women in country music etc? Haven't seen that question posed to the other female artists in the genre. Are they asking her because they really care about what she thinks or is it a question to see if they can get her to say something to get herself in trouble? And by trouble, I mean how jptexas described in his post 'doesn't want to bite the hands that feed her'.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by jptexas View Post
    If Carrie had said, "it MIGHT not be the best it could be", I would've agreed with her. You never know when you sit down and write your own songs, you just might surprise even yourself
    by the quality.

The other phrase was Carrie being political. I know she doesn't want to bite the hands that feed her, the radio programmers. If she says what she really feels, there might be reprocussions.
    In other words, if there are 5 women in an obviously male dominated market, she's ok with that. But, I think she actually thinks like I do, "I can't stand all those freaking "Truck" songs by all those supposedly talented male country singers. How about some Sunny Sweeny, or Martina, or Reba, or Kelly Pickler, or, or, or. But, I don't have a career to lose, so I just post here.
    Yes, very true. Wording can be a very simple thing and can really change your intentions alot when someone comes along to try to pick it apart.
    And I totally see what you are sayin about being politically correct.
    It would not be smart to be in her position and then complain about it.
    jptexas likes this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by jptexas View Post
    by the quality.

I interpret the quote differently. I think what she's saying is that in a world dominated by men (with dumb truck songs, but I won't put words into her mouth), the women have to be fantastic, or they won't break through. So consequently, you have a radio with, yes, hundreds of mediocre men, but you also have the very best women. She wasn't saying she preferred having lots of truck songs on the radio or anything; she was saying now you have to be the best or you won't get played and now we have give or take five fantastic female artists that deserve their success.

And I agree with that. I'd rather have a handful of brilliant artists than a large amount of mediocre ones. On the other hand, I don't think the females are the best right now, and like communism, though the concept is good, in practice, it doesn't work.

Ultimate Carrie Fan bigbluegrl23's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by allamericangirl8 View Post
    I interpret the quote differently. I think what she's saying is that in a world dominated by men (with dumb truck songs, but I won't put words into her mouth), the women have to be fantastic, or they won't break through. So consequently, you have a radio with, yes, hundreds of mediocre men, but you also have the very best women. She wasn't saying she preferred having lots of truck songs on the radio or anything; she was saying now you have to be the best or you won't get played and now we have give or take five fantastic female artists that deserve their success.

And I agree with that. I'd rather have a handful of brilliant artists than a large amount of mediocre ones. On the other hand, I don't think the females are the best right now, and like communism, though the concept is good, in practice, it doesn't work.
    I wouldnt necessarily say the women are the best all the time or the best women there's ever been on country radio (obviously reba, dolly, shania etc are incredible); however, the women are better than most of the men.
    Becca
    supercarriefan likes this.

Ace
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by kewlie78189 View Post
    her writing abilities are amazing...hope she gets even better as time goes on!
    Sure she will....just look at from 1st album to the 3rd....and now she has the confident to goes with it.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbluegrl23 View Post
    I wouldnt necessarily say the women are the best all the time or the best women there's ever been on country radio (obviously reba, dolly, shania etc are incredible); however, the women are better than most of the men.
    Becca
    And yet they could still be better. It's easy to be better than mediocre. I want at least great out of 'em now.
    liveasong likes this.

Ace
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by DaisyTweets View Post
    Wonder how come they ask Carrie a question like that -- the one about women in country music etc? Haven't seen that question posed to the other female artists in the genre. Are they asking her because they really care about what she thinks or is it a question to see if they can get her to say something to get herself in trouble? And by trouble, I mean how jptexas described in his post 'doesn't want to bite the hands that feed her'.
    IMO, right now there are only 3 top solo female country music out there..Carrie, Miranda Lambert and Taylor Swift..but TS is not really country, that left with Carrie and Miranda at the top. So this question can go either to Carrie or Miranda....and am glad they asked Carrie. She has gave a thoughtful honest answer.....and if they think they can get Carrie to say something stupid and get herself in trouble, they better think twice because Carrie can handle herself. On the other hand, I think Carrie is well respected by journalists, critics and her peers.
    abbeyjones18 and DaisyTweets like this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    The fact that there are fewer leading female vocalists is definitely a factor in making that sector so intensely competitive. Carrie's right when she says the limited number at the top poses a dilemma. On the one hand, everyone - fans and artists - who have a special interest in that sector (and I'm one who does) would like to see more female performers make it through; but on the other hand, if there were more, there could be more pressure and more struggle for top recognition. She's being very honest in recognizing both aspects of that situation.

But if it's hard for the vocalists, it's even harder for the female instrumentalists. Nashville session players seem to be even more of a "boys club" - and it's there that I'd particularly like to see more women musicians getting breaks.

One area where Carrie's shown strong support for female artists is in songwriting. On her four Sony albums, she's recorded 53 tracks, and 41 of those have involved at least one female writer (including Carrie herself, of course). Not all the choices have been "obvious" ones - for example, DFTRM was Morgane Hayes first number one song.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Outside of the Big 3 and to some extent Martina & Reba there really isn't anyone else that radio stations are going to play, all the stations know what their listeners want to hear and it's pretty clear that outside of the Big 3, Martin & Reba people are not very interested in hearing any other female artist.

That might not be fair but radio stations are not in business of playing artists who people don't want to hear.

Huge Carrie Follower huggablebri's Avatar
    I need someone to explain something to be that is always so baffling to me. I read these articles about Carrie and there is always someone bashing her for some weird reason. If this person or other people dont like Carrie why are the even there reading the interview or article in the first place. Take me , for instance. Im not a big fan of Justin Bieber Fever. So I have no interest in reading about him and I dont. I just dont get it.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by huggablebri View Post
    I need someone to explain something to be that is always so baffling to me. I read these articles about Carrie and there is always someone bashing her for some weird reason. If this person or other people dont like Carrie why are the even there reading the interview or article in the first place. Take me , for instance. Im not a big fan of Justin Bieber Fever. So I have no interest in reading about him and I dont. I just dont get it.
    If I knew the answer to this question. . . I don't get it either. When I go to CMT or GAC if there is an article about someone I don't like, I don't even bother to read it. I know that this person or persons has an unhealthy fixation on Carrie and I don't even bother to read or comment in the comment section because of this. But I know that this person goes to every article about Carrie and makes the same rude comments. I would like to know the answer too.
    Claire2004 and JB172 like this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by liz278 View Post
    If I knew the answer to this question. . . I don't get it either. When I go to CMT or GAC if there is an article about someone I don't like, I don't even bother to read it. I know that this person or persons has an unhealthy fixation on Carrie and I don't even bother to read or comment in the comment section because of this. But I know that this person goes to every article about Carrie and makes the same rude comments. I would like to know the answer too.

Not reading the comments on sites like CMT or GAC is exactly the right thing to do.
    Ann055 likes this.

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast