Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree131Likes

Thread: Bayou Review

Bayou Review

Carrie Underwood sang more effectively than she connected at Bayou Country Superfest

She wasted no time in showcasing her prodigious pipes, teeing off in “Good Girl.” She invested the chorus of “Two Black Cadillacs” with a country-soul voice worthy of Sugarland’s Jennifer Nettles.

She noted that she and her band had yet to perform songs from her new album, “Blown Away,” in front of such a large audience. “You’re our test group,” she said. “We’ll be watching you.”

Her observations may have given her some cause for concern. She has not yet mastered the art of connecting with an audience, especially one spread across as vast a venue as Tiger Stadium. Momentum sparked by uptempo songs was often extinguished by a subsequent ballad.

She giggled when introducing “Temporary Home” – even she realized that a maudlin ballad about foster kids, single moms and a dying old man pining for heaven is not stadium-worthy. Especially right after she made a joke about staying hydrated with beer if necessary.

Her strength was in her singing. An acoustic slide guitar goosed the stomp-and-step strut of “Leave Love Alone,” from “Blown Away.” She negotiated the fast cadence of “Cowboy Casanova” atop big snatches of electric guitar. In “Undo It,” she fully inhabited the character who had let her guard down, paid the price, and now sought to regain the upper hand; Underwood bent over and bobbed like a boxer, poking a finger at her own sternum for emphasis.

“All-American Girl” highlighted a semi-acoustic segment, with Underwood and her musicians arrayed on stools. She apologized for not realizing soon enough that she should have added “The Night Before (Life Goes On),” with its Baton Rouge reference, to the Bayou Country Superfest set list; as a consolation, she knocked off a bit a cappella. Her soaring chorus of “I Told You So,” a ballad she “stole” from Randy Travis, took flight.

Whether because of song selection or a lack of connection, much of the audience remained seated through Underwood’s set; whatever the pleasures of listening to her voice, it could not compel a stadium-sized reaction.

Toward the set’s conclusion, she put together a consistently compelling sequence. She generally presents herself as a good girl, a model of decorum. But she relished playing the bad girl in “Last Name,” in which a drunken dance floor hook-up results in an overnight Las Vegas wedding to a stranger. Over a recurring banjo lick and a fiddle solo, she muscled through the song, swinging her arms and shoulders, belting.

She was even more invested in “Before He Cheats,” in which a wronged woman takes out her fury on a wayward man’s beloved truck. She sustained a note in the final chorus for an eternity. Next time, Underwood belted, maybe he’ll think before he cheats. In such moments, you tend to believe her

Carrie Underwood sang more effectively than she connected at Bayou Country Superfest | NOLA.com

NOT SO GOOD REVIEW !
    Carrie&Taylor likes this.

I was a bit surprised to see some of those ballads in a setting like this...maybe she'll substitute those next time for some covers. No biggie.. personally I'd much rather hear her amazing voice, but I get how some may think that's not enough in a huge setting like this.

hjj
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Normally she owns stadium shows but I can see what the reviewer said by the set list. I was surprise in some of her set list. It is difficult when many of the people at a festival is not your fan and setlist is everything. She may have done too many of her new songs also. Oh well she will get back in the swing of things. Did Keith get as big of a review?

Concert Stars
    I'll be posting my review soon -- just have to upload a couple vids!
    hjj and Cps235 like this.

Concert Stars
    Pretty much for a festival/stadium show you need some rocking or fun/upbeat music/songs people can dance too/sing along w/. Most, especially casual fans, aren't there to hear great vocals or inspirational songs but to get drunk and have a good time, especially country fans. They are there to have the concert experience/to be entertained/have fun/dance around/sing along to songs. So for Carrie she'll need the right setlist to get the crowd into it, especially since her setlist has alot of spiritual/inspirational and ballad type songs. I suggest adding some well known rock cover songs like she did w/ her SH tour if needed as those were fun songs to scream to/sing along w/ and get the crowd going. I know I was screaming loud during them when she did them during her SH era...lol. I know Carrie doesn't like the catwalk but I thought it was great when she had it in the past and it was a good way in engage w/ the fans more. I also liked it when she would bring people on stage to help her sing her songs. Things like that can help than just a bunch of people sitting down watching Carrie sing even if she has great vocals and great stage production behind her. For some people that might be boring, especially in a stadium setting. They need something more engaging or to get them off their feet/singing/dancing.
    Last edited by Jade_kt; 05-27-2012 at 11:11 PM.
    gocountrymusic and Jae like this.

Concert Stars
    Well she had almost all uptempo tracks in the setlist, but I guess the few ballads were 'downers' lol---TH

hjj
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    I hope Carrie does at least one cover rock song on tour this yr. It is just one thing that her fans love since she is just so good. Most people seem to cover the more well known songs in their setlist than their new album songs. I bought a RF new cd once before the concert and they barely sung anything off it.

Concert Stars
    awesome review!!

Concert Stars
    I am so tired of the same old "she lacks stage presence" or doesn't connect with the audience crap.

Carrie surpassed her shy days on idol years ago and is now a fierce live performer with great stage presence.

The critics for the Play On tour gave glowing reviews and said she had great stage presence. So that is bull!
    Hil, opry051008, rainbow1 and 1 others like this.

Huge Carrie Follower
    Being that this was superfest on memorial day, Carrie should have played it up more instead of the ballads. This is summer time and folks want to party expecially at 8:00 in the evening.
    Jade_kt likes this.

Concert Stars
    The good thing is Carrie usually tweaks her setlist if she feels it needs adjustment.

Concert Stars
    Go check out my review guys!!
    Jade_kt, Johngalt and rainbow1 like this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    I am so tired of the same old "she lacks stage presence" or doesn't connect with the audience crap.

Carrie surpassed her shy days on idol years ago and is now a fierce live performer with great stage presence.

The critics for the Play On tour gave glowing reviews and said she had great stage presence. So that is bull!
    I don't think the problem is Carrie's stage presence but more her setlist, music choice. Some of her songs just aren't festival concert type of songs or the right songs for concerts or to get the crowd going. You have to think in terms of a casual fan who isn't engrossed w/ Carrie's songs like we are who are just listening to her the first time and wanting to hear songs they can get into, jam to, dance/sing to and get drunk too...lol and have fun w/ even if they've never heard the song before and not just about listening to her sing well. They have to connect w/ the song.
    Last edited by Jade_kt; 05-28-2012 at 12:24 AM.
    The Nanook likes this.

hjj
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    This was Carrie 1st big show in quite a while and it was also in a festival setting which makes it more difficult. It is hard to connect to the people when it is a stadium show. Carrie herself said she messed up by not singing TNBLGO. That would have made her setlist. I was surprise w/ several of her songs ie. SS, TH and even ITYS. The acoustic set may have been not the best ideal at that setting.
    Ladydee likes this.

Concert Stars
    THE SET LIST WAS FINE!!! And I've seen Carrie enough in concert to know this review is complete and utter BULL****.... LOL It cracks me up when some Carriefans buy into to this no stage present CRAP...
    Dont let the critics set the terms.... Believe your own eyes and ears!!!
    Gator, JB172, teesharky and 8 others like this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by 12russ79 View Post
    THE SET LIST WAS FINE!!! And I've seen Carrie enough in concert to know this review is complete and utter BULL****.... LOL It cracks me up when some Carriefans buy into to this no stage present CRAP...
    Dont let the critics set the terms.... Believe your own eyes and ears!!!

That's right, Chuck.

The only "critic" any artist is looking to please is their fans.

I don't buy it. The guy who wrote this was tweeting last night and couldn't figure out why she had on cowboy boots. A lady in the crowd had to tell him that in the south, you can wear boots anywhere...lol So, don't worry about it. The people tweeting about it LOVED the show. She's also got to be getting ready for London & Australia and there are some different venues she may be thinking ahead about. Plus, some of them were probably pretty drunk by the time Carrie came on stage.
    Gator, Hil and rainbow1 like this.

Concert Stars
    One thing is for sure, I plan on singing along to One way Ticket I think it will be such a fun concert song and a song to get drunk too .

Carrie Underwood - "One Way Ticket" at Jimmy Kimmel - YouTube
    Last edited by Jade_kt; 05-27-2012 at 07:48 PM.
    rainbow1 likes this.

Huge Carrie Follower huggablebri's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post

To be honest although I loved the play on tour I absolutely HATED the stage. I think after her problems with Catwalks on the other tour she went a whole 180 degrees the other way. As soon as I got to my seat, I knew there was not even the slightest chance of any physical contact with Carrie. The stage was so high that there were blindspots and some even said they couldnt even see the band. Row 1 was almost like row 7 or 8 at other concerts. There was a empty space, then there was a barackade in front of that. I just found it the most un fan friendly stage I have ever seen. Hoping for something different this time around. But it was a great show otherwise..lol
    Smokyiiis and Jae like this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by huggablebri View Post
    To be honest although I loved the play on tour I absolutely HATED the stage. I think after her problems with Catwalks on the other tour she went a whole 180 degrees the other way. As soon as I got to my seat, I knew there was not even the slightest chance of any physical contact with Carrie. The stage was so high that there were blindspots and some even said they couldnt even see the band. Row 1 was almost like row 7 or 8 at other concerts. There was a empty space, then there was a barackade in front of that. I just found it the most un fan friendly stage I have ever seen. Hoping for something different this time around. But it was a great show otherwise..lol
    Yeah a stage that is more engaging would be better imo. I actually liked the stage production of PO and thought it was super kewl w/ the video screens and all but just didn't like that there wasn't much interacting w/ the crowd because of the distant between Carrie and the audience so it wasn't as intimate of an experience for me in that regards imo. It was just like watching Carrie from afar or just watching her sing w/ kewl backdrops behind her. Of course it didn't help that I had bad seats too up on the upper level. The closest I came to engagement w/ Carrie was when Carrie was on the truck going by. I much prefer the intimacy of SH/CR tour in that regard where she had a catwalk and/or at least brought fans on stage to interact w/ her which made it a more interactive fun experience.
    Last edited by Jade_kt; 05-27-2012 at 07:36 PM.

•  
    Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast