Like Tree11Likes
  • 5 Post By Pi314CA
  • 1 Post By DizzyDollyDee
  • 2 Post By hjj
  • 2 Post By pklongbeach
  • 1 Post By liz278

Thread: CD Review: Blown Away (Carrie Underwood) ARA JANSEN, The West Australian

Ultimate Carrie Fan

CD Review: Blown Away (Carrie Underwood) ARA JANSEN, The West Australian

CD Review: Blown Away (Carrie Underwood)

ARA JANSEN, The West Australian
    Updated May 25, 2012, 2:00 pm

Carrie Underwood

Blown Away

Sony

3.5 stars

From the charging and rockin' opener of the new single, Good Girl, through to the country of Do You Think About Me, Carrie Underwood's fourth album is big, full of flavour and thoroughly comfortable in a killer party dress or a worn pair of cowboy boots.

Like the title says, get ready to be blown away by a mighty voice delivering it, too. The 2005 American Idol winner is known primarily as a country singer but this album makes the best case for Underwood's move into commercial pop-rock.

Highlights Blown Away and Two Black Cadillacs are a broody pair of tracks. The latter is a haunting, almost gothic revenge story of two women at a man's funeral; one is his wife and the other his mistress. Underwood's powerful vocals were made for these catchy, sassy or heart-tugging ballads, which marry the craft of country storytelling-style songs and a rock edge.
    Fiddles and twanging live easily in the lush instrumentation which involves everything from cello, electric guitars and ukulele to the bouzouki.

Link: http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/ent...rie-underwood/

Concert Stars
    Thank you, love it!! I like the way he expresses himself!!!!

Thanks for posting Pi!! Good review!

Obsessed Carrie Fan Carrie&Taylor's Avatar
    Is that 3.5 out of 4 or 5? And does this album seem more pop than say Play On? Kinda seems the same or less country.

Concert Stars
    great review! Thanks for posting!

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    That was a good review. Thank you for posting, Pi314CA.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    I just love to hear Carrie sing - country-pop, pop-rock, country - I don't care what they call it. Unless its all out twang, I have a hard time having an ear for whats really country. Carrie has wanted to always be considered country yet when it comes to putting out a cd she doesn't seem to want to put out a true country. What she puts out doesn't bother me one bit but many of the reviewers do. Does it really matter or can she skim by on the edge like she appears to? Can she get the country awards like we want her to? I know TS, Sugarland, RF and others did but Carrie seems to be rated on a whole different scale. She never seems to be able to skim by anything. I'm just worried about her. She worked very hard on this cd and I absolutely love love love it and feel like many others love it like I do. Getting awesome reviews! But it not being true country, or at least thats what I'm picking up on a lot of these reviews - is it going to hurt her? I know I'm starting to worry early as far as awards go but . . . . I don't know if Carrie puts much emphasis on these awards at this stage of her career or if she just wants to sing the songs she put on this cd? Should I be like Tee and worry way too soon (sorry Tee) or do those here who know so much more than I do, think there is enough country on the cd not to have to worry (much)?????
    pklongbeach likes this.

hjj
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    I love Carrie's diversity and her albums shows it. I think she may not ever get the all out critical claim album due to it but I'm happy. I think it was clear by Carrie's reaction to the question of what album she can listen to over and over again tell it all. Her response that she prefer to listen to an artist on shuffle also is telling. It is funny country radio or the people may say music is not country but heaven forbid if it is country because it becomes too country and not play. The women even have less room to play with on this.
    DizzyDollyDee and pklongbeach like this.

Concert Stars
    Nice nice. Nice to hear someone who takes a stand from the perspective of someone who appreicates what she does. As opposed to those amercian critics who are "looking" FOR FAULT.
    Sweet review.

Insane Carrie Fan AdrianAustraliaCarrie's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Go Aussie's! Great review I wouldn't say commercial pop rock - its only 1 song (GG) plus leaning HOTAC on Blown Away etc! Love this album & I see everything good coming it's way

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by DizzyDollyDee View Post
    I just love to hear Carrie sing - country-pop, pop-rock, country - I don't care what they call it. Unless its all out twang, I have a hard time having an ear for whats really country. Carrie has wanted to always be considered country yet when it comes to putting out a cd she doesn't seem to want to put out a true country. What she puts out doesn't bother me one bit but many of the reviewers do. Does it really matter or can she skim by on the edge like she appears to? Can she get the country awards like we want her to? I know TS, Sugarland, RF and others did but Carrie seems to be rated on a whole different scale. She never seems to be able to skim by anything. I'm just worried about her. She worked very hard on this cd and I absolutely love love love it and feel like many others love it like I do. Getting awesome reviews! But it not being true country, or at least thats what I'm picking up on a lot of these reviews - is it going to hurt her? I know I'm starting to worry early as far as awards go but . . . . I don't know if Carrie puts much emphasis on these awards at this stage of her career or if she just wants to sing the songs she put on this cd? Should I be like Tee and worry way too soon (sorry Tee) or do those here who know so much more than I do, think there is enough country on the cd not to have to worry (much)?????
    I love to hear Carrie sing too! I don't care what they want to call it, I have listened to BA so many times in my car I can't even count them!

I do think in a little part of her Carrie cares about winning awards, but I remember her saying to someone in an interview when she didn't get nominated for EOTY, that she was a little sad because she didn't even get nominated. I know that she likes to win, but I think she wants to be nominated - that at least she is being recognized for the work. So, if we have those who vote on awards and such that don't think this album is country enough, then I think it is okay to worry . I just want her album to be nominated and her song to be nominated - I want those in Nashville to recognize the true talent that she is!
    DizzyDollyDee likes this.

•