• 1 Post By rosie08
  • 1 Post By kewlie78189
  • 1 Post By CarrieFaninAZ
  • 1 Post By LouisaJessie

Thread: BlogCritics Music - Review of 'Blown Away'

BlogCritics Music - Review of 'Blown Away'

Music Review: Carrie Underwood - Blown Away - Blogcritics Music

Music Review: Carrie Underwood - Blown Away

Ever since she took a baseball bat to an unfaithful lover’s “pretty little souped-up four-wheel drive” on her massive hit “Before He Cheats” (off 2005’s multiplatinum debut Some Hearts), Carrie Underwood has been gradually amassing street cred as a good-girl-with-a-quiet-baddie-streak. Fans have been waiting for her to give full rein to that inner vixen.

The wait is over. This month sees the arrival of the country pop dazzler’s fourth studio album, Blown Away, which is marked by a decidedly edgy, wild-at-heart aesthetic that sheds new light on the big voiced chanteuse’s career arc.

The brash lead-off single “Good Girl” takes aim at those latter-day sweet things. Underwood feels the need to display a bit more grit when it comes to love and romance. Bold tracks like the uptempo “Cupid’s Got a Shotgun” continue this subversive dalliance with matters of the heart. The theme takes on a poignant, if devious, resonance on “Two Black Cadillacs,” an emotional number about a wife and a mistress who both show up for the funeral of the man they once shared.

That Underwood manages to perform such cuts with no shortage of spark and sincerity helps explain why the former American Idol champ is such a consistently noteworthy megatalent in the industry mainstream–and why fans show no sign of losing interest in her artistry anytime soon.

This winsome 14 track record features production by Mark Bright and songwriting contributions from Hilary Lindsey and Ryan Tedder, among others. Blown Away is classic Underwood, conveying the sort of affecting storytelling, powerhouse vocals, and sheer star power that made her an instant A-lister and a consummate fave among the ever-growing multitude of modern country darlings.

Easy standouts like “Do You Think About Me?” and “Good in Goodbye” and "Thank God for Hometowns” would fit right in on 2007’s Carnival Ride or even 2009’s Play On. They are the very definition of real and heartfelt.

So while Blown Away indicates a step into darker territory for Underwood, the singer’s thoroughly classy and refreshingly charmed delivery is the stuff of a true American sweetheart.

BEST TRACKS: "Forever Changed," "Good Girl" and "Do You Think About Me?"

Thanks, Ann. Great review. And as a bonus, there's no mention of Taylor or Miranda, which I highly appreciate lol. Getting sick of all the unnecessary comparisons on the other reviews.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Great review, thanks for posting. I love seeing what reviewers favorite songs are. I'm certainly not a reviewer, but my favorites are GG, Till I see you again, Who are you, forever changed. I seem to love Carrie's softer side. Truth is, I love the whole album.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire2004 View Post
    Thanks, Ann. Great review. And as a bonus, there's no mention of Taylor or Miranda, which I highly appreciate lol. Getting sick of all the unnecessary comparisons on the other reviews.
    YW! So agree with you...these unnecessary comparisons/mentions of Taylor and/or Miranda are really getting old and like I said....unnecessary!!

Carrie Fans Maniac robinannhunt's Avatar
    I also like the critics choices from review to review. No one chooses the same songs, lol.

Concert Stars
    I really like this review.
    No mention of Blow Away, interesting.
    Obviously he likes the ones that focus more on her vocal interpretation. And he is right to pay them attention. Few critics do, and it is what makes Carrie one of the best singers in the industry.
    So glad someone decided to talk about Carrie and ehr album instead of "lets talk about the women of country and where Carrie stacks up"!
    Like what the heck does that have to do with her album.
    They couldn't deliver an album like this on their absolute best day, caus they couldn't sing like this if their lives depended on it.
    Pi314CA, jptexas, Gator and 4 others like this.

Concert Stars
    So right, PK!! I loved this review!!

I was almost afraid to read this. but I am glad I did. Thank you Ann.

Concert Stars
    thanks great review!

Junior Carrie Follower
    Concert Stars
    Awesome review, though I hate the word chanteuse haha. Some words just don't come off the tongue right.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Great review. I liked this part:
    So while Blown Away indicates a step into darker territory for Underwood, the singer’s thoroughly classy and refreshingly charmed delivery is the stuff of a true American sweetheart.
    Thank you for posting, Ann055.

•