Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: American Songwriter Review of Blown Away

American Songwriter Review of Blown Away

Carrie Underwood: Blown Away | American Songwriter

4 Stars

Country’s powerhouse diva and multi-Grammy winner Carrie Underwood bursts back onto the country music scene with her latest album Blown Away. Blasting off with the red-hot barnburner and current hit single “Good Girl,” the 2005 American Idol winner’s fourth studio release is loaded with an abundantly rich amount of high caliber songs (eight of which were co-written by Underwood with some of Nashville’s best writers), which grab you instantly on the nearly seamless 55-minute disc.

The album’s aphotic cover immediately alludes to the more mature and darker material found on Blown Away, which may simultaneously surprise and satisfy skeptics and fans alike. “Some people called it taking shelter/She called it sweet revenge/Every tear-soaked whiskey memory blown away,” belts Underwood on the title track about a motherless girl who prays a tornado will blow away her abusive, alcoholic father along with her painful memories and childhood home.

“Two Black Cadillacs” is an ominous tale of a wife and mistress working together to off their lover after accidentally discovering he had been cheating on both of them with a third lover. “Two black Cadillacs meeting for the first time/One is for his wife, the other for the woman who loved him at night/The women in the two black veils didn’t bother to cry/Threw a handful of dirt into the deep ground,” sings Underwood in an evocative and vengeful tone.

The stripped-down acoustic twang of the mid-tempo “Do You Think About Me” is a welcome break in the album’s tension, proving long-time Underwood producer Mark Bright is capable of knowing when to allow for a moment to exhale during his frequently distracting overblown production gimmicks, which clumsily includes some cringe-worthy backing vocal arrangements.

Unfortunately, Blown Away includes a couple of hiccups, most notably the cutesy twanger “Cupid’s Got A Shotgun” and the unremarkable “Leave Love Alone,” but even after deleting those two musical missteps from your iPod’s playlist, you’ll still have a solid 12-track killer of an album.

Blown Away displays considerable artistic and creative growth in both Underwood’s songwriting and selection of material, as evidenced on the feel-good island ditty “One Way Ticket,” which sounds like the kind of summery tune Kenny Chesney would eagerly arm-wrestle to get his hands on. Also, the impassioned “See You Again,” the compelling “Wine After Whiskey,” and the Mutt Lange-penned closer “Who Are You,” all demonstrate a new depth and maturity in Underwood’s canon of contemporary country. While previous efforts seemed a bit unfocused and disseminated, Blown Away is more thematic and unified, resulting in Underwood’s strongest effort to date, which easily leaves her previous releases twisting in the wind.

Concert Stars
    Love this.
    Absolutely agree.
    I'm facinated that so many have to find a track or two that they don't appreciate and they are never the same two tracks.
    Thats a great sign of an album that really delivers a solid list.
    oldyfan, Pi314CA, rainbow1 and 2 others like this.

Concert Stars
    yay love this!
    oldyfan likes this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Love this review, completely different view of the cd then RS or the other one I read this morning who's name I forget.

Yay for some OWT love! But booooo on LLA...he should see that one live.It rocks!
    oldyfan, Gator and rainbow1 like this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Huge Carrie Follower
    finally some love for OWT

i still find it amazing that each review has its own favorite and least favorite and it differs from everyone else's. its a sign of a very amazing album

Concert Stars
    Oh gosh, not taking his advice to delete those two songs because I love those two - believe it or not on some days I will have those two (Cupid's Got a Shotgun and LLA) and Do You Think of Me on repeat (just the three). I am singing along to LLA all the time since you can, lol. But great review overall besides that. And it is funny how they like OWT when it seems to get bad press from others, lol. I love it also. Heck, I love most all.
    Pi314CA and rainbow1 like this.

Concert Stars
    Yea!!! Got another good review! Love that the reviewer actually gets most of the album!

Concert Stars
    Great review....but, I love LLA!!!!!
    Suellen likes this.

Concert Stars
    Another great review for BA.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by pklongbeach View Post
    Love this.
    Absolutely agree.
    I'm facinated that so many have to find a track or two that they don't appreciate and they are never the same two tracks.
    Thats a great sign of an album that really delivers a solid list.
    I am even more convinced,good or bad review, that the reviewers are simply in love with their own verbal emanations and superior points of view.

Concert Stars
    "Aphotic."

GTFO.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by maddkat View Post
    Love this review, completely different view of the cd then RS or the other one I read this morning who's name I forget.

Yay for some OWT love! But booooo on LLA...he should see that one live.It rocks!
    That is why all reviews, good, bad or indifferent don't mean a thing.
    abbeyjones18 likes this.

Huge Carrie Follower
    Concert Stars
    Wow, nice review....but it certainly is odd that even the songs being dissed an not be agreed upon. I am going to take that as a positive sign. F it were all crappy, I am certain they would notice. The fact that the very songs one reviewer loves, is one another doesn't care for clearly indicates it is nothing more than personal choice. What I am taking after reading all of the reviews is mostly positive. It seems to be a genuine consenses that the album is a bold move with multiple hit songs. The very fact that a song like OWT can come off as lame by one reviewer and positively shows Kenney Chesney wanting it for himself leads us to beleive the reviewer LIKES KC, so it is good comparison. Comparing her to an earlier Pat Benetar, obviosly the reviewer liked her songs where another may not have wanted the material on the album. The fact that he did not like GIG, yet positively reviews WAY, that has had few positive reviews is just as telling....to me it means throw the whole bunch of them out. After reading the RS review, I was actually stressing out, kind of thinking them an industry standard. The reality is for all their scoring system, there really is no formula for scoring. Each review we are reading is one person's opinion and the fact that they are so varied really shows that. If it was all horrible, I would worry. At this point, i realize that other than their reviews being read by more people, they mean nothing. What means more is people like us that have it on repeat and spreading the word how great we think it is. Carrie has done an incredible job on the album and her team certainly stepped up to the plate publicity wise, so now it is all in the fickle hands of the consumer. I did my meager part, buying 1 digital copy and 6 CD's........hopefully the buying public will part with enough of their hard earned money to make the album a success.
    pgk, Hil, Pi314CA and 1 others like this.

pgk
    Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Great review! Does metacritic use this review in it's calculations? carrie is at 69 now due to RollingStone review.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    This is a good review. However, I disagree about Leave Love Alone, I think that's a great song. Thank you for posting, Ann055.

Obsessed Carrie Fan Cathie Wynkoop's Avatar
    Back in Kansas.....there's no place like home!!!
    Concert Stars
    "Cupid's Got a Shotgun" just fascinates me!! I think that is the first and only time I have heard the words "barrage" and "Kevlar" in a song!!

I LOVE it!

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by pgk View Post
    Great review! Does metacritic use this review in it's calculations? carrie is at 69 now due to RollingStone review.
    Yes, it does but unfortunately it is already included in that 69. (It is currently the 3rd review down on that list). Must have been added with RS.

Country Weekly counts and they gave it 4 out of 5 stars so it will help bring it up but not sure how much when it is added.

Concert Stars
    What???? Cupid and Leave Love are high on my ranking list - it all depends on what you get out of a song I guess - I think the lyrics in Cupid are very clever, why just the idea is clever, Leave Love is just a sassy kick of a song , I guess it's songwriting not apppreciated but it should be if it makes you get up and dance, right? Nice review though , so really good reviews outweigh the bad ones which is how it should be as Blown Away is a blockbuster of an album!

Junior Carrie Follower
    I think Cupid is gonna be the biggest country hit on the album. But other then that great reveiw!
    pkc4rls likes this.

Insane Carrie Fan Kenny_Chisholm's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    They named my two favorite songs as the worst tracks on the album!

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast