Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Arkansas Democrat Review

Concert Stars

Arkansas Democrat Review

Sorry I can't provide a link (you'd have to be a subscriber to read it anyway) so, I'll just type it as it was written.

Underwood, Nashville style

Carrie Underwood Blown Away

It's not hard to understand Carrie Underwood's place in & importance to Nashville's main industry. Taylor Swift & Miranda Lambert have secured places at the top of Country Music, but Underwood is the one who is hosting the award shows and putting out albums like Blown Away, which is about as seamless a product as you can find.

To start, the 14 songs here are written by a battalion of Music City songwriters ( David Hodges, formerly of Evanescence, has a co writing credit on See You Again) with Underwood chipping in on 8. This album is not a cohesive whole; instead it's an expert delivery vehicle for a fistful of hits. Good Girl is an infectious, hand - clap happy song that wouldn't sound out of place on an old Pat Benatar album. The best is the title track, an exhilarating revenge tale with Underwood's power house voice serving her well. The worst is Good In Goodbye, a cloying ballad that reminds you that even machines break down now & then.

Hot Tracks: Good Girl, Blown Away, Leaver Love Alone

Werner Trieschmann B+

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    I disagree about GIG , but agree with the rest for the most part - meager as it is.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Concert Stars
    that is the first bad review of GIG we have had. Reviews suck because they are all opinions. It really isnt about the music at all IMO. they should review on the lyrics, melody, vocals, etc not if they like it or not. But I guess that can go hand in hand.

GIG is probably near the top of best Carrie co-writes or even songs in general

A lil city in the middle of a lil island in the middle of a lil country in the middle of the sea
    Don't agree with the GIG part... plus, i really think the album is cohesive... very cohesive actually...
    But then again... good review overall...

Concert Stars
    Again, the add-ins of Miranda and Taylor is just soo unnecessary.
    I'm just not sure I understand them. There seems to be an understood rule that there can only be a small assortment of female relevancy in the industry and that Carrie is working to stay relevant with ML and TS.
    Side Note: for all of you who give us a hard time for comparing Miranda and TS to Carrie all the time please take note that it is pervasive through out the general public and within the industry itself. That is why it has been very difficult for some of us to watch Carrie take second seat to ML by the label for the last year. Because by so doing you lose Carries footing.
    And so it is......
    Back on topic: I agree with most of the points. I do believe this is an album of hit singles. That is very often the way Carrie goes about making an album. And this one is similar. I do think it is more cohesive than others. But still a collection of singles none the less.
    B+ is a great grade and we'll take it.
    I just wish we could go back a year of two and stop treating Carrie like someone who has lost their footing to a manipulated system that granted someone else her position as countrys "premier female artist".

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Thai... Thanks so much for typing this review for us. I like the review. Everyone has their own opinion, and I find the differences interesting, even if some of them are negative. I love the publicity and praise Carrie is receiving about this album. I love "Blown Away"...can't stop listening. Again Thanks Thai... .

Concert Stars
    Pretty good. Also not agreeing with GIG and guess others don't either since it was the other one besides BA that was doing so well on iTunes without ever being performed. I certainly would not at all call it the worse song on there in any way. I would put at least 4 or more below it even. I like it a lot but can't win them all so is good overall.

I couldn't disagree more about Good in Goodbye!

That song is one of the best in the album!

Concert Stars
    so do not agree about GIG!!!

Concert Stars
    Good review overall! Tx for typing it!

This review and tge new 4 star Country Weekly review helps counter that crappy RS bs.

Plus Country Weekly counts on metacritic too.
    pklongbeach likes this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by pklongbeach View Post
    Again, the add-ins of Miranda and Taylor is just soo unnecessary.
    I'm just not sure I understand them. There seems to be an understood rule that there can only be a small assortment of female relevancy in the industry and that Carrie is working to stay relevant with ML and TS.
    Side Note: for all of you who give us a hard time for comparing Miranda and TS to Carrie all the time please take note that it is pervasive through out the general public and within the industry itself. That is why it has been very difficult for some of us to watch Carrie take second seat to ML by the label for the last year. Because by so doing you lose Carries footing.
    And so it is......
    Back on topic: I agree with most of the points. I do believe this is an album of hit singles. That is very often the way Carrie goes about making an album. And this one is similar. I do think it is more cohesive than others. But still a collection of singles none the less.
    B+ is a great grade and we'll take it.
    I just wish we could go back a year of two and stop treating Carrie like someone who has lost their footing to a manipulated system that granted someone else her position as countrys "premier female artist".
    I must say that I got something completely different from the reference to Miranda & Taylor. My opinion, the guy was saying, "Yes, Miranda & Taylor get all the press acclaim, but the true artist of the bunch is Carrie. She is the one with the personality to host these awards shows & neither of the other two have even come close to an album like Blown Away."

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by thaifood View Post
    I must say that I got something completely different from the reference to Miranda & Taylor. My opinion, the guy was saying, "Yes, Miranda & Taylor get all the press acclaim, but the true artist of the bunch is Carrie. She is the one with the personality to host these awards shows & neither of the other two have even come close to an album like Blown Away."
    That is a good take on it and I like that take, lol, and I agree. Funny how it seems to almost infer that Carrie was not on top. She was on top before Taylor came along and then before Miranda came along. Or maybe I am just reading what they said incorrectly.

Carrie Fans Maniac robinannhunt's Avatar
    You are right but the comment was about the industry continuing to compare the threefemale singers when it is really unnecessary. Can't they write a Carrie review and not mention these other singers? Do they do that for the men? Do they do that for the other ladies?
    rainbow1 and DaisyTweets like this.

Concert Stars
    I like you'res alot better to!!

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by robinannhunt View Post
    You are right but the comment was about the industry continuing to compare the threefemale singers when it is really unnecessary. Can't they write a Carrie review and not mention these other singers? Do they do that for the men? Do they do that for the other ladies?
    I agree with you. I don't recall a review about Brad that included Keith, Blake or any other guy. I also don't know if they review Martina and include Faith or Reba. I would like them to do a review without mentioning Taylor or Miranda. I will have to go back and read Miranda's reviews to see if when they did a review of Miranda's album did they include Taylor or Carrie.

Carrie Fans Maniac robinannhunt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by liz278 View Post
    I agree with you. I don't recall a review about Brad that included Keith, Blake or any other guy. I also don't know if they review Martina and include Faith or Reba. I would like them to do a review without mentioning Taylor or Miranda. I will have to go back and read Miranda's reviews to see if when they did a review of Miranda's album did they include Taylor or Carrie.
    Let us know what you find please.

Concert Stars
    Well, wouldn't it have been more clear for them to just warn TS and ML, to move out of the way because Queen Carrie is back??

Personally, I think all critics should review each artist on their own merit, fairly and honestly. They need to leave others, and personal agendas (if there are any) out of the reviews.
    pklongbeach likes this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    This is a good review, but I disagree about Good In Goodbye. Thank you for posting, thaifood.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    I'm afraid I'm not keen on this review (probably because, unfortunately, I hear this assessment of Carrie from quite a few people - and they tend to mean it disparagingly.)

What strikes me is the use (in a short review) of the words "industry", "product" and "machine". The underlying impression is quite a common one - it sees Carrie's album more as a finely wrought piece of merchandise for "a battalion of Music City songwriters" to provide "an expert delivery vehicle for a fistful of hits".
    Why I find that this approach undervalues Carrie is that it sees her primarily as the face of Nashville - a good purveyor of the industry's targeted product, more than as an artist in her own right.

And that is an unfair, and limiting, assessment. Carrie's given interviews recently stressing that she's not a puppet, that she took time over getting her album right, that she's proud of her songwriting (which she sees as more than "chipping in"), that she's deliberately introduced as much variety as possible into this album. None of that comes out in this reviewer's approach. I would have liked the revview to give her credit for pushing the Mainstream boundaries with several of these songs, not just being the best of a bunch following a well worn trend.

I'm sorry if my retort to the review sounds disheartening. You may not agree with the way I see it - but, for my part, I do think that this tendency to see her only as a stereotyped "purveyor of product" is one of the main reasons many critics give her only grudging praise

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by robinannhunt View Post
    Let us know what you find please.
    I went to look at all the reviews I could find on ML Four the Record and I think I found only one reviewer that listed either Carrie or Taylor in the review. The reviewers all looked at the album and commented on the record and did not compare her to Carrie or TS. Now why can't the reviewers do the same thing for Carrie. Take Carrie for Carrie and not compare her or talk about ML or TS?
    Gator, pkc4rls and pklongbeach like this.

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast