• 2 Post By pklongbeach
  • 1 Post By bigbluegrl23
  • 2 Post By bigbluegrl23
  • 1 Post By JB172

Thread: Unpacking the audible divide between country's solo women and men

Unpacking the audible divide between country's solo women and men

Unpacking the audible divide between country's solo women and men
    by JEWLY HIGHT

For a while now, the dominant image of country radio's target listener has been the suburban soccer mom, the presumption being that tender male balladeers are what it takes to keep her tuning in while she runs errands in her SUV. Here's one problem with that idea: There's not all that big of a gender disparity in the country audience, and poll results presented at this year's Country Radio Seminar back this up. Women are in the majority, but not by much. What's more, the musical impulses that are showing up in country right now don't break down along gender lines the way you might think.

That same CRS poll affirmed that the popularity pendulum has swung back toward crossover country, and harder stuff is a turn-off to the genre's casual listeners. But Kellie Pickler — who's leaned pop-rock since Idol — has just made the most hardcore traditional country album of her career, 100 Proof. It's also her best. "You just gotta keep fighting, and hopefully you get your way," she says. "I'm a woman — I want my way all the time. ... I said, 'I just want to make a dirty country record. I want to make a country record.' "

She's not the only one. Concrete, the first mainstream country full-length from Texas singer-songwriter Sunny Sweeney, is a crisp, contemporary honky-tonk affair. Ashton Shepherd's second album,Where Country Grows, combines down-home charm with studio polish. Miranda Lambert's Four the Record is commercial country with rootsy bite and a daring spirit. Then there's that other project of hers, Pistol Annies, and their fetchingly ragged Hell on Heels.

Excluding Lambert's output, we're not talking about music that's made a big impact on the charts so far, though Sweeney's single "From a Table Away" did climb to No. 10. Last summer, at least a couple weeks went by without a single female solo act in the Top 30. That's an extreme illustration of the way things have almost always been: lopsided, with successful country-singing men outnumbering women. But hearing so many younger female voices lean toward traditional sounds — that's new.

Conspicuously absent on the charts much of last year was a between-releases Carrie Underwood, who's made a triumphant return this year with the single "Good Girl" and the album Blown Away. You wouldn't think her music would share much in common with Pickler's or Sweeney's, and stylistically it doesn't. But they're addressing similar concerns in their songs.

"Good Girl" and many of Underwood's previous blockbusters — from "Before He Cheats" to "Cowboy Casanova" — take up for wronged women. She's extended the pattern to especially dramatic storytelling with "Blown Away," in which a young girl hopes a tornado will free her from her abusive, passed-out-drunk dad, and "Two Black Cadillacs," an implicit murder ballad in which the wife and the mistress team up against the man who's been deceiving them both.
    More at: Unpacking the audible divide between country's solo women and men | Features | Nashville Scene
    hjj, rainbow1, Ann055 and 5 others like this.

Concert Stars
    An interesting article - the unfortunate side to more traditional country is that sales suffer - Miranda has done well because she has some barn burner rock songs , because she had one huge single ,because she had a label on her side and because of Blake's TV popularity, so she's been able to do somewhat better. However I have to believe that requesting and radio activity of fans has something to do with whether an artist gets played on radio or not - they have to take that into consideration and you look at the artists who get played on radio and they do have the largest and most active fan bases, men and women. I can't think of one artist who has a big active fan base that doesn't get played at radio. Female artists in the second tier like Kellie and Sunny don't have big fan bases and on down the line whereas the second tier mens fanbases seem to be larger - just going by voting outcomes, and seeing crowd numbers and reactions at concerts. The radio programmers have to base their selections on buzz I would think

Concert Stars
    I love how they called them blockbusters!!Thanks for posting

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    I will love the day when I can actually say there is a second tier of women like there is for men right now. Even looking at the nomination's for female vocalist only three or really top tier (Miranda, Carrie and Taylor) while the other two are usually just who happened to release an album or have semi-success.

Concert Stars
    I have to say it and please don't kill me, but MIRANDA IS OVER-HYPED!!! She is a great artist but she is being pushed to teh public and unfortunately it's not selling! The problem with Miranda is that she comes off to redneck and cocky at times. Taylor is being used for the numbers because she is bring COUNTRY sales number up and based on her title she deserves EOTY. CARRIE REALLY GAVE LIFE TO THESE FEMALES ARTIST NOW!!! She brought back country music to a whole to the mainstream crowd!!!
    pklongbeach likes this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Zman312 View Post
    I have to say it and please don't kill me, but MIRANDA IS OVER-HYPED!!! She is a great artist but she is being pushed to teh public and unfortunately it's not selling! The problem with Miranda is that she comes off to redneck and cocky at times. Taylor is being used for the numbers because she is bring COUNTRY sales number up and based on her title she deserves EOTY. CARRIE REALLY GAVE LIFE TO THESE FEMALES ARTIST NOW!!! She brought back country music to a whole to the mainstream crowd!!!
    You're entitled to your opinion. When I say top tier I mean in terms of success, awards, sales and promotion. Whether or not they are deserving of that title is completely subjective. Although I got to say if you gave me a choice between Miranda and Taylor I'd have to go with Miranda because her music is more country influenced and and to me it's not all about the numbers. I believe Miranda displays better quality music than Taylor and I enjoy her tour videos more too. I kinda take what I deem personally as better quality over quantity any day.

Although with that being said I'd choose neither and write in Carrie's name in the ballot.

Obsessed Carrie Fan Carrie&Taylor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zman312 View Post
    I agree! Always BS in this format in all areas.

Female artists are what makes country music interesting right now. It seems they are the only ones taking chances and risks, recording material that is unique to them and doesn't sound like all their other female counterparts. If country radio could start actually playing more of them, or if the men of country took the same risks in their artistry that females do, maybe country radio would be more interesting and I'd actually want to listen to it.

Concert Stars
    And this is part of what makes us fight and struggle so much to keep Carrie in her postion. And why it can be sooooo frustrating to see the label work so hard to make another female artist appear to be ubber popular when there is nothing that seems to reflect it.
    It's because you can have a "Top 30" and not have a single woman in it!!!!!!!!!!!!"
    Think about that for a minute. And remind yourself of it the next time you criticize some of us for being too "over-the-top Carrie supporters".
    You have to be!!!
    S.Sweeney is a very talented artist with a great voice and very authentic music for contemporary/traditional county.
    And where does it get her? No where.
    We have to support Carrie!
    The industry gives us no choice.
    The minute we rest will be the minute they find another "flavour of the month". Cause that is how they treat women in country.
    rainbow1 and jptexas like this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan bigbluegrl23's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by pklongbeach View Post
    And this is part of what makes us fight and struggle so much to keep Carrie in her postion. And why it can be sooooo frustrating to see the label work so hard to make another female artist appear to be ubber popular when there is nothing that seems to reflect it.
    It's because you can have a "Top 30" and not have a single woman in it!!!!!!!!!!!!"
    Think about that for a minute. And remind yourself of it the next time you criticize some of us for being too "over-the-top Carrie supporters".
    You have to be!!!
    S.Sweeney is a very talented artist with a great voice and very authentic music for contemporary/traditional county.
    And where does it get her? No where.
    We have to support Carrie!
    The industry gives us no choice.
    The minute we rest will be the minute they find another "flavour of the month". Cause that is how they treat women in country.
    I don't usually disagree with you but I may have to in terms of them finding the new "flavour of the month". if thats all it took for carrie's career to fall, taylor swift would have wiped the floor with her but Carrie stuck around and has continued to get even bigger. I don't think anyone could knock carrie off bc she's on the same level as Kenny, Keith and Brad.
    Becca
    supercarriefan likes this.

Concert Stars
    And, in the meantime, a song about a "truck" is being pushed on country radio as we speak. Makes me want to throw up. Come on, even country radio has to grow up eventually. Don't they?

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbluegrl23 View Post
    I don't usually disagree with you but I may have to in terms of them finding the new "flavour of the month". if thats all it took for carrie's career to fall, taylor swift would have wiped the floor with her but Carrie stuck around and has continued to get even bigger. I don't think anyone could knock carrie off bc she's on the same level as Kenny, Keith and Brad.
    Becca
    I wnat to agree with you, cause I do think Carrie is just that good. That she can not and will not be ignored.
    But we hae seen such a shift in the way that women at country are being judged that amazing vocal artistry just does not have the relevance it once did.
    There was a time not too long ago that some of the best voices in music could be found at country radio.
    Not so anymore.
    Carrie has many many atributes that keep her relevant so it is not like I am worried.
    But I just mean to point to those that would have us use the "embrace them all as equals" mentality, suggest that that would be a very dangerous attitude to take.
    Cause country music does not allow for there to be a plethra of yong female singers like they do with men.
    1 in 30 my friend. 1 in 30.
    That does not bod well for any woman. Carrie included.

Ultimate Carrie Fan bigbluegrl23's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Don't get me wrong, I think it's HORRIBLE the way country music treats women. In all honesty, besides a few artists I'm starting to feel uncomfortable even liking country music but I just dont see any artist at the moment being able to replace someone who is the perfect combo of shania twain, Martina and Reba. Yes, carries a woman, but she's on the same level as the top men which is what makes her stand out as well.
    pklongbeach and epicamends like this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    The industry has, is and always will give the male singers more of a look than the female ones but one of the reasons why the females haven't been charting well is because outside of the Big 3 and to a lesser extent Reba & Martina a large portion of the country fan base don't really care about anyone else.

Others like Kellie, Sunny etc... are pretty good at what they do but if the listening public don't want to listen to them a station isn't going to play them.
    supercarriefan likes this.

•