• 1 Post By countryfan2006
  • 3 Post By thaifood
  • 4 Post By LouisaJessie
  • 2 Post By LouisaJessie
  • 5 Post By epicamends
  • 1 Post By JB172
  • 1 Post By dhamz
  • 3 Post By supercarriefan

Thread: Skylar Laine Talks Carrie Underwood Advice, Leaving ‘Idol’-Style Pop Behind

Skylar Laine Talks Carrie Underwood Advice, Leaving ‘Idol’-Style Pop Behind

Skylar Laine Talks Carrie Underwood Advice, Leaving ‘Idol’-Style Pop Behind
    By Lyndsey Parker | Reality Rocks

Thursday night on "American Idol," country-rocker Skylar Laine surprisingly went home in fifth place, ironically on a night when "Idol's" all-time biggest country superstar, Carrie Underwood, performed on the show. Skylar had actually garnered flattering comparisons to Carrie during her "Idol" run, and speaking to Yahoo!'s Reality Rocks backstage immediately after her elimination, Skylar revealed that she'd received words of encouragement from Carrie this week.

"I did get to talk to Carrie Underwood before the show," said Skylar. "She just said, 'Be yourself.' And she said the country community is already welcoming me with open arms. I'm just happy about that, because I want to be next to all those great people at the CMA Fest and the CMA Awards, and all those kinds of awards. That's my dream, to be there!"

Discussing her summer concert plans, Skylar made it very clear that she won't be doing any pop songs on the Idols Live Tour. Nope, she'll be sticking to her roots and going pure country, so don't expect any reprises of "Idol" performances like "Born This Way," "I Heard It Through The Grapevine," or "Wind Beneath My Wings." Said Skylar emphatically: "I'm definitely going to do stuff that's country on the tour. Country, Southern rock. I don't wanna do the pop songs. It was fine to do them [on 'Idol'], but that's not me, you know? I just want to do more mellow country songs, more like [Miranda Lambert's] 'The House That Built Me' and that kind of stuff. Just stuff that touches your heart, that doesn't have to have all these high parts in it. And if they let me do my original song, called 'Diamond-Studded Pistol,' I will!"

As for her long-term post-"Idol" plans, and plans for more original songs, Skylar revealed: "I will move to Nashville after the tour, definitely. I want to write with a bunch of people like Hillary Lindsey [Faith Hill, Martina McBride, Carrie Underwood, Kellie Pickler], an amazing writer--and anybody that I can, to get great songs!"

Time will obviously tell if Skylar will go on to Underwood-style success, but with people like Carrie already on her side, it looks like the sky may be the limit for Skylar Laine.
    Skylar Laine Talks Carrie Underwood Advice, Leaving

Carrie Fans Legend countryfan2006's Avatar
    Nice read, Thanks for posting.
    oldyfan likes this.

Concert Stars
    I think she is putting a big old cart before her horse. Move to Nashville? Work with Hillary Lindsey? Perhaps it'll happen, but many others have said the same things.
    Ann055, Mirasa45A and maddkat like this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    I love that Carrie made Skylar feel welcome and offered her advice. Good luck to Skylar. The girl clearly has talented and I believe she will go far. She reminds me so much of Miranda Lambert!

Thank you for posting, Claire2004.

Huge Carrie Follower
    I can't believe she went home. Thought for sure it was going to be Holly and hoped it would be Jessica.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Carrie's performance is mentioned in this article: Skylar Laine goes home in surprise American Idol elimination leaving final four to battle it out | Mail Online

Former American Idol winner Carrie Underwood also performed a new song from her latest album Blown Away.
    The country singer looked stunning in a white flowing dress slit to the thigh, with her blonde hair teased into curls.
    I'm sorry to see Skylar go. I think she has a future in country music, though. Good luck to her.

Tbh, Skylar reminds me of Miranda Lambert Pt II. I think she'll see very limited country success unless she can figure out who she is, separate from the other current country stars. I think Lauren Alaina is kind of in the same boat right now - her album is great, but she is very similar to Carrie. Perhaps that's one reason why she's struggled a bit on country radio. They're already not willing to give new females much of a chance, but if your style is too similar to one of the top females at the format, that might hurt you even more. Like, there's already a Carrie Underwood & a Miranda Lambert, you know?

All that said, I don't think either one would have this problem if they were males. There's plenty of males at country radio who all have the same style, it seems.
    Last edited by epicamends; 05-04-2012 at 08:49 AM.
    liveasong, judes, HuiZ and 2 others like this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    I like the confidence she has and if it doesn't work out it doesn't work out, I much rather see her say the things she did instead of going home pouting about getting sent home.
    supercarriefan likes this.

Carrie Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by epicamends View Post
    Tbh, Skylar reminds me of Miranda Lambert Pt II. I think she'll see very limited country success unless she can figure out who she is, separate from the other current country stars. I think Lauren Alaina is kind of in the same boat right now - her album is great, but she is very similar to Carrie. Perhaps that's one reason why she's struggled a bit on country radio. They're already not willing to give new females much of a chance, but if your style is too similar to one of the top females at the format, that might hurt you even more. Like, there's already a Carrie Underwood & a Miranda Lambert, you know

All that said, I don't think either one would have this problem if they were males. There's plenty of males at country radio who all have the same style, it seems.
    Good point !

Carrie Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by thaifood View Post
    I think she is putting a big old cart before her horse. Move to Nashville? Work with Hillary Lindsey? Perhaps it'll happen, but many others have said the same things.

YES , she must do it one step at a time .

Carrie Follower
    Quote Originally Posted by epicamends View Post
    They're already not willing to give new females much of a chance, but if your style is too similar to one of the top females at the format, that might hurt you even more. Like, there's already a Carrie Underwood & a Miranda Lambert, you know

This is completely true to the point where if my Sirius radio did not tell me which of the most recent new males stars is singing the song that is on, I honestly can't tell the difference.
    judes likes this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan supercarriefan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    I love that Skylar is looking forward to the future instead of wallowing about her elimination. She has the goods to a star...she just needs to find the right material that creates a distinct image of her as an artist. I'd love to know what her original material sounds like. I hope that Jimmy signs her, and works carefully to help her be a success.
    Skylar's words about moving to Nashville and finding people to write with reminds me of Kellie Pickler. Kellie did exactly what Skylar is saying: immediately following tour, she moved to Nashville and while on tour she had the opporunity to write with people like Hillary Lindsey. It's wonderful that Carrie told her Nashville is already welcoming her.

As Jessica said, it's tough for females because if a female doesn't bring something really different to the table, they have a tough time while the men can pretty much be copies of each other and are praised for it. Honestly, country music needs to realize that there isn't anywhere else for females to go that is totally different from the Big Three (Carrie, Miranda and Taylor). I see more Reba in Skylar than Miranda, though.
    epicamends, judes and Claire2004 like this.

Concert Stars
    I am shocked that she is gone..but Carrie gave her good advice!

Carrie Follower
    Not impressed with her comments, but good luck to her!

•