Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree112Likes

Thread: EW review

EW review

Are you a Taylor or a Miranda? That's Nashville's version of the Jackie-vs.-Marilyn question. Either you're a country-pop prom queen, plotting world domination in a heart-shaped diary (Ms. Swift), or you're a honky-tonk rebel, aiming a deer-hunting bow at anyone standing in the way (Ms. Lambert).

Carrie Underwood is a Taylor who's dying to be a Miranda. True, she predates both stars, and with five Grammys, three multiplatinum albums, and an Idol win, she doesn't need to worry about competing with either one. But she's never been quite as sweet as Swift or quite as fiery as Lambert. Even on her best crazy-girl anthems (''Before He Cheats,'' ''Last Name''), she sounds like she wants to tell Mama she's sorry for what she's done.

That's why it's so exciting to hear Underwood indulge her dark side for real on Blown Away, her most stadium-rock-friendly album yet. Mocking her wholesome rep, it begins with the sassy, Joan Jett-wannabe first single ''Good Girl'' and segues into two dramatic murder songs: On the power ballad ''Blown Away,'' a child-abuse victim kills her father, and on the Southern gothic ''Two Black Cadillacs,'' a married woman teams up with a mistress to kill the man who betrayed them both. (''Bye-bye!'' chirps Underwood.) Now that she's discovered shotgun feminism, the family-values stuff (like the pious ''Who Are You'') is a bore. She's way livelier on the awesome twang-banger ''Cupid's Got a Shotgun,'' an ode to love that feels like target practice. When she's a good girl, she's very good — but Bad Carrie just sounds better. B+

Best Tracks:
    An NRA-supporting fiddle shredder Cupid's Got A Shotgun
    A first-love charmer Do You Think About Me
    Blown Away review - Carrie Underwood Review | Music Reviews and News | EW.com

B+! How much is that in numbers? Didn't like the beginning. Comparisons again.

Concert Stars
    Haha, hilarious review. I'm OK with the B+ score.

BUT, I must say, we are a 'Carrie'...we're not a 'Taylor' or 'Miranda.' Yes, Carrie did really, start her career first so...why is the discussion happening?

Carrie is not them. They're not her. She's Carrie freaking Underwood. That's all

Huge Carrie Follower countrymama22's Avatar
    I am sick to death of the comparisons. I don't want to read Taylor's or Miranda's names in Carrie's reviews. But for the rest of it I like.

Carrie Follower
    Another Taylor/Miranda comparison.... sigh. Good rating though and I kinda agree on bad Carrie is better than good Carrie.

Concert Stars
    Yay! They like it, I guess? But why compare her to Tay or Miranda? They should be comparing them to her.
    pklongbeach, liz278 and Lstname89 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by cole View Post
    Yay! They like it, I guess? But why compare her to Tay or Miranda? They should be comparing them to her.
    I think they did... it got a B+ lol. But I think they should be comparing Carrie to Carrie, Taylor to Taylor and Miranda to Miranda.
    countrymama22 and cole like this.

Carrie Follower
    They gave CR B+ too and that is equivalent to 83 according to metacritic.
    epicamends, Volcomlvr87 and Manchs like this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    I thinks that is a very good review. I could care less that they referenced T & M. Neither one of them has the vocal chops that Carrie has, and that is the truth. Sometimes I think critics are harder on Carrie because she is the one legends are talking about.
    DaisyTweets likes this.

Concert Stars
    Ugh - 3 TOTALLY different artists - I don't think these reviewers even know Taylors or Mirandas or Carrie's music - it's just a cop out for a review syndrome - they read the first reviews, get ideas and viola - same junk - but a B+ is great and they did like the album - this counts toward metacritic right?
    Carrieflattsfan likes this.

Concert Stars
    I am really over the comparisons at this point.
    Carrie is nothing like those two. But they could both use years of practice to get anywhere close to her.
    I am just proud that Carrie continues to do Carrie.
    Cause Miranda is annoying to me. And Taylor is the 'fakest Sweet" I have seen in a long long time.
    BTW, T's songs are not even remotely sweet.
    For the most part they are pointed and selfserving.
    And I am sorry folks, I know I keep going after these two. But if the critics would stop bringing them up I wouldn't have to either.

Awesome! This will boost BA's meta critic score even more!

Ultimate Carrie Fan supercarriefan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    They shouldn't be comparing them at all. They are all individual artists with their own way of doing things. They are successful women that deserve more respect, and none of them should have to put up with being compared to the others. It bothers me that the men of country music don't get compared to each other like this.

Anyway, the review is good. B+ is a solid grade, and the writer is very complimentary of Carrie's "bad girl" side lol.
    Pi314CA likes this.

Concert Stars
    I too am sick of the comparisons, why must they do that? Because they are all blonde? Because they are the top 3 female country artists? They all sing different style songs and to compare them is ridiculous!

But I did like that they gave it a B+. That is a really nice grade! So for those who are keeping track of her metacritic score, does this one help her?
    supercarriefan and Pi314CA like this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    Comparison shouldn't be made. But... if one does that, the comparison should be the other way around. Carrie should be the standard to which to compare because Tay and Miranda can be easily categorized.
    liz278, oldyfan and Gator like this.

Junior Carrie Follower
    Concert Stars
    Just sent a long ranting text message to my friend so no one here would have to be exposed to how venemous I was feeling after reading about Taylor/Miranda haha.

The fact is, I like Taylor and Miranda. And regardless of the fact that I think Carrie is leaps and bounds above them, they shouldn't be compared because they are 3 unique people with different musical styles who just happen to be country artists. Why would we want 3 of the same people, it's nice to have a variety, and so many of these critics are forgetting that. Taylor has her niche, Miranda has hers, and Carrie has her own as well. I really do think its just fun for them to compare the 3 blonds bombshells of country music, and they don't look any deeper than that.

But I'll take the B+ haha, can't wait to see the Metacritic score go up!
    pklongbeach and teesharky like this.

Concert Stars
    omg the beginning is terrible! but the rest is ok! thanks for posting!

Concert Stars
    Oh wow, metacritic is up to 70 since they added All Music Guide review and does not yet include EW so should go up more, woo hoo.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    This is a good review but I'm sick of the comparisons, I wish they would stop comparing Carrie with Miranda Lambert and Taylor Swift. I'm a fan of those two, they're talented but Carrie is a far better vocalist. Sorry!
    hockey2k5 and Hil like this.

Carrie Follower
    Yes Liz this will definitely help BA's score on metacritic it may even surpass CR's rating of 72 which is currently her highest rated album. If the next few reviews will remain positive then BA will be much closer to critical acclaim status.
    Hil likes this.

•  
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast