Like Tree5Likes
  • 5 Post By LouisaJessie

Thread: Carrie takes control of career

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars

Carrie takes control of career

One of the bestselling female artists this decade, Oklahoma's Carrie Underwood, 29, has won Gram-my Awards and American Idol, but is still humble enough to know that it's not easy to connect with Canadian audiences during the run-up to the Stanley Cup.

Married for almost two years to Peterborough, Ont.'s Mike Fisher, the former Ottawa Senator who now plays for the Nashville Predators, the singer is quick to play up her love of the Canadian game.

"When I first started dating Mike, I didn't know that much about hockey. It took marrying a hockey player to get into something that I really enjoy," says Underwood, who has sung with both Steven Tyler and Randy Travis and, along with Taylor Swift and Lady Antebellum, has become a global ambassador of the "new country" sound.

"Mike's such a good guy and he works so hard, I'm proud of the Predators making the playoffs. Let's hope that continues; Mike deserves all the goodness in the world."

Underwood, the daughter of a saw-mill worker, has been in show business for 15 years, but it wasn't until she took the American Idol stage in 2005 that she was able to connect with an audience. Living and working in Nashville, where she wrote and recorded Blown Away, her fourth album, which came out yesterday, the singer says she under-stands the appeal of the show and all its competitive vocal brethren.

Blown Away certainly doesn't lack for big moments. The singer, who says she's proud of how her writing has blossomed, approached making the album like writing a film script.

"I didn't want the production to undersell the story; I wanted every-thing to be bigger, more dramatic and fun," says Underwood, whose new album features a healthy mix of ballads and rockers and more than one unfaithful scoundrel finding himself on the wrong end of a gun.

"This album allows me to break through some barriers; a song can have a stone-cold country back story, but that doesn't mean I can't still be influenced by Motley Crue."

The mix in Underwood's sound is the result of the singer growing more confident after the success of each album. As her popularity grew, so did her ownership of her product. Today, there's no doubt who's in charge of her records.

"I used to think, if I threw out an idea, everyone would think it was stupid, but I've several No. 1 hits under my belt, and songs on other people's albums," she says. "I've established my place in country music and feel like I've got better, as a songwriter and as a performer."

Underwood's statistics are almost unrivalled. She's in the Guinness Book of World Records for most No. 1 country hits, and Forbes magazine reported that she earned $20 million US last year.

Still, the singer insists she gets nervous before the release of a new album, and that, for all her accolades, the most important victory was the confidence to trust herself.

"For the first album, it was like, 'This could be my one shot; it could all be over after this.' On the sophomore album, I felt pressure to deliver after the first album did so well," she says. "Now, maybe there's a little less pressure and I can focus on the music; I don't have to worry about getting into the club."

Copyright (c) The Province

Carrie takes control of career

Concert Stars
    ohh you beat me to this one lol..was just about to post it..its a great read!

•