Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: Carrie Underwood's 'Blown Away': What the Critics are Saying

Carrie Underwood's 'Blown Away': What the Critics are Saying

Carrie Underwood's 'Blown Away': What the Critics are Saying

Much has changed for Carrie Underwood since her last release, including a feature film debut in TriStar Pictures’ Soul Surfer and a country wedding to hockey beau Mike Fisher.

With Blown Away, Underwood’s first album since 2009’s Play On, the American Idol alum promised a “darker storyline” as evidenced by its lead single, “Good Girl.” But it’s not all doom and gloom for Blown Away, ensuring crossover success with a combination of moody ballads and sunny, uptempo tracks.

Reviews of Blown Away were mostly positive, with a few critics expressing tones of disappointment at a lack of “dark” material that was promised. At the end of the day, though, it is impossible to deny the powerhouse vocals that made Underwood a star. Read below for a sampling of Blown Away reviews.
    A summary of the reviews from Billboard, LA Times, Washington Post, USA Today, Keepin' It Country, and Roughstock was provided. Full article: Carrie Underwood's 'Blown Away': What the Critics are Saying - The Hollywood Reporter

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Hmm. Interesting read. I liked this part:
    At the end of the day, though, it is impossible to deny the powerhouse vocals that made Underwood a star.
    That's so true! Thank you for posting, Claire2004.
    nccountrygal, gwade82, Hil and 1 others like this.

Concert Stars
    ^^ that's my favourite part too! and it's so true! nice combination of all those reviews! Thanks for posting

Concert Stars
    In some cases with reviewers I think they are incapable of thinking outside the box - they need things tied up in a pretty bow whether it's bland music or not and speaking about lyrics I think Carrie's are far more interesting than those that sound like they came out of a second rate romance novel - Carrie's ideas are novel and fresh and yet they still compare her to other artists - I really don't think some reviewers are sophisticated enough in their thinking to do Carrie justice, the country reviewers seem to have more heart in their reviews, which makes perfect sense. My little review of reviewers

Concert Stars
    There are 3 categories of folks for the critics to talks about, in my opinion.

1) There are those stars that no matter what they do, no matter how specious their out put they are going to get raves from the critics. Folks in this category always seem to burn out quickly. I think Taylor Swift fits into that category.

2) There are those talented individuals that get the critical acclaim, & the public may or may not support them. That, to me, fits Miranda Lambert.

3) The third category is set aside for Carrie & folks like her, no matter what they do, no matter how good they are, there are some critics that are never going to give them a break, but the public loves them & supports them to the max with everything they have.

I know many folks on here are to young to remember the band from the 70's called Grand Funk Railroad. The 70's were the times when everyone was putting out 2 albums a year. Grand Funk would get torn apart by the critics every time they released something new. But, they sold millions of albums & set records with every tour, not only for tickets sold, but also for the rapidity of the sales. This, to me, is what Carrie does. So, I never worry about critics slamming her, yes it's disheartening, but the public always speaks & they always speak with their pocket books to support her. That is the key!
    Hil, rainbow1, gwade82 and 12 others like this.

Concert Stars
    If Carrie ever made a record that all the critics loved (which is impossible for anyone) then her fans probably wouldn't like it. I mean, some compare her to Miranda, but if Carrie's album sounded like "Four The Record" I would be dissappointed because, for one thing, FTR is mostly depressing, and that's not Carrie. Carrie's 'darker' songs are dramatic and exciting instead of meloncholy and blue. I like that. And so do millions of others. That's why Carrie sells so many records.

Keepin' It Country and Roughstock apply to Metacritic? I don't remember seeing the reviews of these sites for other albums. I think we can send e-mails requesting to Metacritic count the reviews of these sites.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by thaifood View Post
    There are 3 categories of folks for the critics to talks about, in my opinion.

1) There are those stars that no matter what they do, no matter how specious their out put they are going to get raves from the critics. Folks in this category always seem to burn out quickly. I think Taylor Swift fits into that category.

2) There are those talented individuals that get the critical acclaim, & the public may or may not support them. That, to me, fits Miranda Lambert.

3) The third category is set aside for Carrie & folks like her, no matter what they do, no matter how good they are, there are some critics that are never going to give them a break, but the public loves them & supports them to the max with everything they have.

I know many folks on here are to young to remember the band from the 70's called Grand Funk Railroad. The 70's were the times when everyone was putting out 2 albums a year. Grand Funk would get torn apart by the critics every time they released something new. But, they sold millions of albums & set records with every tour, not only for tickets sold, but also for the rapidity of the sales. This, to me, is what Carrie does. So, I never worry about critics slamming her, yes it's disheartening, but the public always speaks & they always speak with their pocket books to support her. That is the key!

Totally correct my dear friend. Critics will not like Carrie for different reasons, but mainly because whatever "they" say is ignored by the people who continously support her. And that, just makes them crazy.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by jptexas View Post
    Totally correct my dear friend. Critics will not like Carrie for different reasons, but mainly because whatever "they" say is ignored by the people who continously support her. And that, just makes them crazy.

[/B]
    I think this is a really important point to drive home.
    I think critics do go into a "Carrie Review" with a "what does it matter" attitude. Cause they know it is going to sell tons and many of them still secretly believe that it has all come too easily and could not posibly be "artistic" if it is simply from a fan voted singer who has never had to suffer for success.
    That is a huge hurdle for Carrie to jump. And for the most part she has. The fact that her voice is now accepted as one of the best in the biz means that she is almost assured a place in history as one of the most highly successful/polorizing/talented singers of our generation.
    It's almost garenteed at this point that people will look back gnerations later and shake their heads at why critics didn't like her albums. If you stop judging her by your many many preconcieved hangups, you end up hearing the best music being put out by the country industry in a long time.
    And her vocal ability alone will be long remembered.
    But alas, these critics wake up Monday morning and have to come up with something to say about Carrie Underwood. And they know it's gonna fall on deaf ears, so they get louder in their attempt to be heard.
    And they end up saying silly things about an album that stands well above the majority of what is coming out right now.
    Too bad.
    But it's all good.
    I love this album. And as people get a chance to hear it, they will to.
    It's by far her most consistant work to date.
    And without sounding meloncoly, this may be the best her voice ever sounds. She is 29 and singing at the absolute best for her age and ability. We are hearing her as people heard Barbra Streisand when she was 19. One of the best voices of a generation.
    jptexas, Gator, gwade82 and 2 others like this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    I think with this album, had other artistes recorded some of the songs, critics would be fawning over it. Like if DYTAM was recorded by Taylor swift, I imagine critics thinking it's such a great song. Same for one way ticket if it had been recorded by someone else. I think that with Carrie"s voice, people do have higher expectations in terms of material.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by scoutfisher View Post
    I think with this album, had other artistes recorded some of the songs, critics would be fawning over it. Like if DYTAM was recorded by Taylor swift, I imagine critics thinking it's such a great song. Same for one way ticket if it had been recorded by someone else. I think that with Carrie"s voice, people do have higher expectations in terms of material.
    Sooooooo funny you say that. Cause as I was listening to the album last night and it felt so amazing and pristine and polished and perfect, I came to the exact same conclusion: "If you were to take any one of the females in country and impose thier voice onto this album it would a "revelation". It would be an aboslute standout of the year.
    Because it is Carrie, and because her voice does sound so amazingly good on whatever she sings, I think your mind is so called to that that you don't give as much credit to the song itself.
    Had Miranda released Two Cadillacs or TS had released GIG, or Pickler had released "Hometown" or Martina/Faith had released Who Are You, it would be a big deal. And these songs would be harolded.
    But because it is Carrie and her voice elevates the listeners expectation, they often loose sight of the song. And that's really not fair.
    It's amazingly complimentary to what I think is best about a Carrie album, the voice, but it underestimates the songs, and you need time with it to get past that voice to be able to appreciate the songs.
    And critics don't do that until they are released as singles. Then all of a sudden they are paying attention.
    TH was a perfeect example.
    Whereas a TS song or ML song, the voice does not get in the way. The song is what you hear first.
    And in T's case the voice actually discredits the song.
    Eyes Open (or whatever) is one of the worst most autotuned songs she has ever done.

Concert Stars
    One more example:
    ITYS and DFTRM are two songs that could have easily gone on to be the "filler" of her albums that critics like to point out.
    But when you take them out of context and allow yourself to accept them for what they are, the are vocal masterpieces that critics to this day site as some of her best singing to date.
    But when you heard it the first time, you completely ignored it!!!
    Interesting.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    The only "critic" any artist needs to please is their fans.
    gwade82 likes this.

Concert Stars
    One of my favorite lines from one of these harsh critics, after he blasted her, was that Carrie could outsing all of her peers out of the corner of her mouth!!! He got that one right!!!!
    pklongbeach and gwade82 like this.

Concert Stars
    CRITICS all sit together in a circle
    They are all like JACK IN THE BOXES.....
    They crank each other and then they all pop up together and say CARRIE IS A GREAT SINGER BUT______?

You can fill in the blank with whatever mindless diatribe you choose.... Bottom line is they hold her to impossible standards for anyone to reach... Then she reaches them anyway and then they come up with new standards that in their mind Carrie hasn't achieved yet... One thing for sure Carrie is a much better artist now then she was a few years ago... Now some of you might say its because of the criticism she gets from these yahoos... I say Carries greatness is happening despite these SMARTER THEN THE ROOM Jerks.....
    Last edited by 12russ79; 05-02-2012 at 01:05 PM.

Ultimate Carrie Fan bigbluegrl23's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by pklongbeach View Post
    Sooooooo funny you say that. Cause as I was listening to the album last night and it felt so amazing and pristine and polished and perfect, I came to the exact same conclusion: "If you were to take any one of the females in country and impose thier voice onto this album it would a "revelation". It would be an aboslute standout of the year.
    Because it is Carrie, and because her voice does sound so amazingly good on whatever she sings, I think your mind is so called to that that you don't give as much credit to the song itself.
    Had Miranda released Two Cadillacs or TS had released GIG, or Pickler had released "Hometown" or Martina/Faith had released Who Are You, it would be a big deal. And these songs would be harolded.
    But because it is Carrie and her voice elevates the listeners expectation, they often loose sight of the song. And that's really not fair.
    It's amazingly complimentary to what I think is best about a Carrie album, the voice, but it underestimates the songs, and you need time with it to get past that voice to be able to appreciate the songs.
    And critics don't do that until they are released as singles. Then all of a sudden they are paying attention.
    TH was a perfeect example.
    Whereas a TS song or ML song, the voice does not get in the way. The song is what you hear first.
    And in T's case the voice actually discredits the song.
    Eyes Open (or whatever) is one of the worst most autotuned songs she has ever done.
    Are you sure that song is autotuned? she sounds so bad... haha
    Becca
    gwade82 and pklongbeach like this.

Concert Stars
    On the chorus when you hear that "tremmling" in the vocal. That is auto tune keeping the note on pitch.
    And it is all over that recording. It's hard to miss.

Concert Stars
    But one thing Autotune cannot do. Improve "Tone".
    Thats obvious.

Obsessed Carrie Fan sur_crazy4carrie's Avatar
    We've seen enough reviews to know that there are no unbiased critics. They would've formed an opinion of the artist the first time they listen to the artist. This opinion forms an expectation. Some critics refuse to believe that the artists who they don't admire very much can exceed this expectation. If they think the work is inferior to the previous one, then their bar for the artist also lowers. Most of these reviewers want the artist to be some other artist (some people like to point out that Carrie is not Miranda. Even if Carrie's material is better, it wouldn't be good enough because she isn't Miranda). Others keep a fairly open mind and draw fair comparisons between the current work and previous work. I think this just about sums up every review that we've seen for Blown Away. If Carrie's career had skipped the PO era, a good portion of these negative reviews would be a lot more positive.
    judes likes this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    [QUOTE=judes;4303066]In some cases with reviewers I think they are incapable of thinking outside the box - they need things tied up in a pretty bow whether it's bland music or not and speaking about lyrics I think Carrie's are far more interesting than those that sound like they came out of a second rate romance novel - Carrie's ideas are novel and fresh and yet they still compare her to other artists - I really don't think some reviewers are sophisticated enough in their thinking to do Carrie justice, the country reviewers seem to have more heart in their reviews, which makes perfect sense. My little review of reviewers[/Q

You said that so much better than I could. Thanks

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast