Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: NY Times: Breathing Fire With Ballads

NY Times: Breathing Fire With Ballads

Breathing Fire With Ballads

By JON CARAMANICA

“Blown Away,” the new album by Carrie Underwood, the shiny but tough country star, starts out loud, sassy, rollicking and wise. “Good Girl” is the first song — a little Pat Benatar, a little Tanya Tucker — and it plays out like a sequel to Ms. Underwood’s 2006 smash "Before He Cheats" except, instead of taking out her rightfully stoked dissatisfaction on her ex, she opts for unity and warns the next woman instead.

After that it’s a one-two punch of brutality: a quick-paced “Blown Away,” in which a young woman hides in her basement, waiting out a tornado that she hopes her abusive, alcoholic father sleeping upstairs doesn’t survive; followed by “Two Black Cadillacs,” in which a wife and a mistress conspire to kill the man they share, not a murder ballad so much as a murder celebration.

Ms. Underwood enjoys rage; her huge voice, both na´ve and muscular, is well suited to it. Her best songs have historically been in the range between fury and resentment. “Blown Away” is only her fourth album, but that number belies her concrete-hard place in the country firmament, with a combination of vocal ambition and toughness that recalls a younger Martina McBride.

While the album starts bold and mechanically impressive, it gets progressively quieter over the course of its first half, as if she were taking a break from fire-breathing. “Do You Think About Me” is tepid; “Nobody Ever Told You” is bland and blithe; and “One Way Ticket” — part Jimmy Buffett, part Jason Mraz — is Ms. Underwood at her least convincing. Relaxation is not her milieu. She needs muscles pulled taut, veins popping through the skin. Hearing her sing about flip-flops and drinks with pink umbrellas is an affront.

“Blown Away” builds steam again from that point. Ms. Underwood holds back her voice on “Good in Goodbye,” which has echoes of "So Small" her inspirational 2007 hit. But by the rowdy and sinister “Cupid’s Got a Shotgun,” her nostrils are practically flaring:
    I pulled out my Remington
    And I loaded up these shells
    He’s about to find out
    I’m a dang good shot myself.

On a few of this album’s early songs , a perplexing number of digital effects are applied to Ms. Underwood’s vocals, processing she neither needs nor benefits from, even if it is par for the course for other country singers. She may be unhappy, but hearing her tense up is half the fun.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/01/ar...lown-away.html

This sounds......positive. Right? Lol I'm sorry, we already got so many reviews I cannot process my thoughts right now lol.
    pklongbeach likes this.

Insane Carrie Fan CarrieUnderwoodismyHero's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    A really disagree about One Way Ticket, it is a standout for me.

One Way Ticket seems to be the most panned song this time, a la Change from Play On.

Ultimate Carrie Fan bigbluegrl23's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Are these critics that stupid that they honestly believe they wrote One Way Ticket as a serious songwriting venture? it's fun and catchy. thats it. and its damn good lol
    Becca

Quote Originally Posted by TOPDOG1001 View Post
    One Way Ticket seems to be the most panned song this time, a la Change from Play On.

I think it was such a shock to them to hear Carrie singing a reggae type of song lol.

Was it Change that was the most panned song from PO? I've always thought it was TH, or maybe I was just too sensitive about all the dismissive comments they had for TH lol.

Read all these negative reviews are depressed I was sad with all these criticisms today but otherwise I know Carrie did Blown Away for her fans thinking about us and not in reviews if we're satisfied is what matters.

I know Blown Away will be great and I feel it.

Insane Carrie Fan
    I know reviews don't matter in the long run as long as fans like it but I'd be lying if I didn't say I am disappointed that a masterpiece like "Blown Away" hasn't been getting enough critical love and acclaim it deserves so far.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    It's depressing to read all these negative reviews but let's try and pay less attention to them. It's not that important. Carrie knows she can't please everybody. We love the album, that's all that matters, right?

Ty
    This is actually quite positive. I like it.

I would never in a million years consider this a negative review.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Just cubicle people with a keyboard. If they knew so much about music wouldn't they be involved? Words and Music without the music is just noise.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbluegrl23 View Post
    Are these critics that stupid that they honestly believe they wrote One Way Ticket as a serious songwriting venture? it's fun and catchy. thats it. and its damn good lol
    Becca

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Hil View Post
    I don't think this is a bad review....I love one way ticket though. Seems as if this person just loves to hear Carrie belt, and that's cool too.
    I agree.

I think the issue some critics are having with BA, is that it is so diverse that they really don't know what to make of it or how to attack it. There truly is something for everyone. That said, maybe every song is not for everyone -- to everyone's liking. As diehard Carrie fans - we love them all, probably just in varying degrees. That's fine.

What I don't agree with, though, are the so-called 'critics' that obviously haven't even listened to the album, but feel compelled to give their two-cents worth anyway. That is plain wrong, as is all the unnecessary comparisons with other artists. This is Carrie's album and should be judged solely on Carrie and her talent, and the all-around artist that she is.

I believe that when all the 'reviews' are in, the majority will be positive. The haters will always hate. But Carrie continues to captivate a larger and larger audience, and reigns in legions of fans. This will occur exponentially after her many performances in the next month or two! I can feel it!

Let's stay positive! We're definitely experiencing an EPIC masterpiece ride!

Carrie Guru
    Considering it is from the New York Times, it is a good review !

Insane Carrie Fan CarrieUnderwoodismyHero's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    I think I'm on a "like" spree today lol....You guys just have some really great comments!

Obsessed Carrie Fan Cathie Wynkoop's Avatar
    Back in Kansas.....there's no place like home!!!
    Concert Stars
    As far as "One Way Ticket" is concerned, I am happy that Carrie stepped out of the box!! This is something that is really so unexpected from her that maybe some people can't process it. I bet the more they listen, the more they like it.

Or not... :P

Concert Stars
    Well, NY Times is listed on this metacritic listing. Did this even have a score or such??

This is actually a decent review. This guy totally panned her Play On tour performance.

Carrie Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbluegrl23 View Post
    Becca

I love the way Carrie says "Eeeeeeee ----Uuuuuuuuuuuuu...la..la..la..la, Eeeeeeeeee...... lick it..........."

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathie Wynkoop View Post
    As far as "One Way Ticket" is concerned, I am happy that Carrie stepped out of the box!! This is something that is really so unexpected from her that maybe some people can't process it. I bet the more they listen, the more they like it.

Or not... :P
    Yeah, I am not getting the comments by some on that song either. It is such a fun song and these types are meant to be strictly for fun and not for whether their lyrics are serious or mean a lot or whatever. So not getting that at all. Who would care what the lyrics were for a fun silly song, lol?? I mean this is a song you can bop around to in the car so I sure am happy with it and happy she did it.

Huge Carrie Follower
    this is in fact a positive review. i like the description of carrie as a fire-breathing singer because only she has the power to do so hahahah
    teesharky likes this.

•  
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast