• 2 Post By thunder92
  • 8 Post By Farawayhills
  • 1 Post By rainbow1
  • 1 Post By kcjune

Thread: Nashville Country Club: Carrie Underwood Blows Us Away

Nashville Country Club: Carrie Underwood Blows Us Away

Carrie Underwood Blows Us Away
    Review by: Kelsey Durnin

The much anticipated fourth album opens with the single ‘Good Girl’ which exhibits Carrie’s powerful vocals from the beginning and promises listeners a soulful track-listing. ‘Blown Away’ kicks off the extreme variety featured throughout the rest of the album with unexpected distortion on the vocals and synth-driven instrumentation giving it much more of a pop ballad sound. This track is the beginning of several that pull from many different genres to comprise the versatile collection. ‘Two Black Cadillacs’ follows as a raw and powerful country ballad that leads easily into the next track ‘See You Again.’ The occasional hint of cheesy lyrics is easily overlooked due to Carrie’s always-impressive vocal display and surprising variety in instrumentation. ‘Do You Think About Me’ brings in a distinct bluegrass sound that is also heard in later tracks such as ‘Good In Goodbye.’ Around mid-album tracks such as the piano-driven ‘Forever Changed’ continue to display an unexpected variety. ‘Nobody Ever Told You’ initially sounds like a straightforward upbeat country track, however, the motivational ballad is not lacking interesting musical elements that give it a definite unique sound. ‘Thank God For Hometowns’ does not display as much variety, but is sure to be an anthem for small-town fans. Nearing the end of the album ‘Cupid’s Got A Shotgun’ adds any playful element the album previously lacked. The track is classic upbeat bluegrass country and as clever as it is fun. ‘Wine After Whiskey” helps bring the album out as soulfully as it began. The simple, slow country ballad is timeless to the core. Carrie belts out the closing track, ‘Who Are You’ over simple instrumentation that leaves listeners with a true, original Carrie Underwood sound they expect and more. The album hits stores on Tuesday, May 1 and is available for streaming on
    iTunes now
    !
    4 stars

Carrie Underwood Blows Us Away

The article was dated 4-27-12 but I don't think this has been posted yet? If we already have this, please delete . I know it's not from a site that Metacritic includes on the scoring, but I feel that we, well certainly I, need something positive today.

Thank you for posting!! Liked that review! And it hadn't been posted...so thank you again
    Claire2004 likes this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    I like this review. It's more positive than others we have seen. Thanks for posting.

Concert Stars
    I love this one...really positive..although it is from nashville so it makes sense that it's good..lol

Concert Stars
    Awesome!!!! Nice way to start day!!
    Claire2004 likes this.

Concert Stars
    Here is the the main problem Im noticing with reviews. The ones from nashville(this one) and neutral territories have seemed to love the album, but the reviews that have been bad have come from people who start out by saying "they are not a fan of country music/carrie."

If you cant not be bias, dont be a reviewer, jmho
    Claire2004 and nccountrygal like this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    I like this one - and I agree that the more Country-leaning reviews seem to be getting the feel of what Carrie's doing with this album. This one refers to "an unexpected variety, "instrumentation", "bluegrass touches" and "interesting musical elements that give it a definite unique sound.". These points tend to be missed by some of the General Music writers, who seem to undervalue the stylistic fusion Carrie's aiming at.

Ultimate Carrie Fan supercarriefan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Great review! This writer gets what Carrie was aiming for with this album.

Concert Stars
    So nice to see the Country writers at least "trying" to understand!!!!
    Ann055 likes this.

Concert Stars
    Great review, thanks for sharing.

Thanks for posting!
    Ann055 likes this.

Faraway, you need to start your own country music blog and show all these other writers how it's done! lol

Concert Stars
    It's breath of fresh air to see a reviewer actually understand Carrie and this album and where she's going - most people that know her albums know she is eclectic with her song choices on albums, it's music she likes to sing or views she wants to express - Carrie is different and for all their big metropolitan saavy most big city reviewers are clueless when it comes to Carrie. This reviewer from Nashville understands and thank you.

•