Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Boston Herald review

Boston Herald review

Producer Mark Bright, who helmed 2005 “American Idol” winner Carrie Underwood’s three previous platinum discs, sticks to his formula on “Blown Away” (out tomorrow). There’s one crushingly good pop gem dressed up as country (“Good Girl”), some ridiculous rah-rah “rural values” propaganda (“Thank God For Hometowns”) and a half-dozen cloying ballads — the worst of which, Mutt Lange’s “Who Are You,” Celine Dion would reject as tripe. Bright needs to let Carrie peruse some real country. Download the one moment when she lets loose with that mighty, twang-filled voice, the bluegrass pop romp “Leave Love Alone.”

Grade : C+ .
    Carrie&Taylor likes this.

LOL. Sometimes I really wonder if people actually listen to the albums fully. If there's one thing Mark Bright did on this album, it was NOT sticking to the same formula as the previous three records. Even Carrie haters over on Pulse have brought that up. lol

If LLA is the only country song on the record then what are Wine After Whiskey, Cupid, Forever Changed, etc? lol

Concert Stars
    Crud!! From down here in Oklahoma, we call them "those North Eastern elitist" !! Rah, rah rural values", he can kiss my you know what!!!

Is Boston Herald included in the Metacritic score computation?

Quote Originally Posted by rainbow1 View Post
    Crud!! From down here in Oklahoma, we call them "those North Eastern elitist" !! Rah, rah rural values", he can kiss my you know what!!!
    Lolololol...you just made me laugh out loud -- my oldest son was born in Virginia and he's around all Okies so he considers himself an Okie...lol Sorry to anyone I might have offended...didn't mean it personally...
    rainbow1 likes this.

wtf is in the minds of reviewers today?!

I can't believe he dissed one of my faves, Who Are You! >:-(

you know, I like Leave Love Alone, but if the album is filled with that kind of song (redneck, too much bluegrass) then I won't enjoy this era. Carrie did her best when it comes to diversity and I love that she did that. she isn't a one trick pony that only caters to a group of people with a certain genre. She gave us wide range of genres but still having a country influence so that there will be something for everyone. I'd be bored to death if Carrie will only sing traditional stuff. sometimes you have to change it up to have variety!

to the reviewer: hey b!tch, let's see you sell some albums have a creativity like Carrie Underwood..... and I'll be your critic.

----end rant----

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    I prefer to think of his grade as above average.

some ridiculous rah-rah “rural values” propaganda (“Thank God For Hometowns”)
    Wow. Well, it appears she won't fully get the critics support unless she goes full on country!

I am not to worried about these reviews. I am waiting on the bigger music critics that will review it, as they are the ones that are part of the metacritic score

Concert Stars
    Yeah, sorry if I offended anyone too....but these guys know nothing about Country music!!!! By the way, I've been to Boston and love it...but not him!!!
    oldyfan and Ann055 like this.

Well, I tell you what...my county lines are always there to welcome me home...

Junior Carrie Follower
    Try not to get worked about this kind of stuff. The Boston Herald didn't even review Play On and they gave Carnival Ride a B. Honestly, not much difference in a B and a C+.

And no, they aren't included in the MetaCritic average. See, all is well.

These are the reviewers who count for metacritic (based on Play On and Carnival Ride's metacritic scores):

-Entertainment Weekly (83 for CR, 75 for PO)
    -All Music Guide (80 for CR, 50 for PO)
    -Billboard (80 for CR, 80 for PO)
    -Boston Globe (80 for CR, 70 for PO)
    -Blender (70 for CR, no score for PO)
    -Rolling Stone (70 for CR, no score for PO)
    -The New York Times (70 for CR, 60 for PO)
    -Pop Matters (70 for CR, 20 for PO)
    -Slant Magazine (40 for CR, 50 for PO)
    -Hartford Courant (40 for CR, no score for PO)
    -Paste Magazine (no score for CR, 57 for PO)
    -Los Angeles Times (no score for CR, 50 for PO)

On metacritic overall, PO had 3 positive reviews, 5 mixed reviews, and 1 negative review, for a total score of 54. CR had 8 positive reviews, 2 mixed reviews, and 0 negative reviews, for a total score of 72.

For some reason, there is no mention of Some Hearts on metacritic.

Concert Stars
    He didn't even mention the standouts, IMO... Did he even listen to Blown Away or Two Black Cadillacs? Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by AIgrl06 View Post
    He didn't even mention the standouts, IMO... Did he even listen to Blown Away or Two Black Cadillacs? Haha.
    He probably would have said pop trite to describe them. It seems to be the phrase they use often.

Some reviewers had a strange taste of good music !!!!! lol

In a few hours Blown Away will be finally released !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GOOD LUCK TO CARRIE !!!!!!!!

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by TOPDOG1001 View Post
    He probably would have said pop trite to describe them. It seems to be the phrase they use often.
    I just decided his opinion doesn't matter.

Interesting to note: Country Weekly gave Four the Record 100%, and their review was included for Miranda's metacritic score. Have they not reviewed any of Carrie's albums before? If so, why were those reviews not counted for Carrie's metacritic score?

Huge Carrie Follower
    Concert Stars
    It is really in the hands of the fans. Yes, she is not going to be fully accepted as country unless her albums are filled with twang. Then they would complain about it being formulatic red neck, cheating, trailer park material. Frankly, I would never buy a traditional country album. Everyone that I enjoy, either leans towards country rock or pop country. I enjoyed George Strait for a time, but everything he does sounds the same. I hope Carrie sticks to her guns and records what she likes because for myself, I find it refreshingly different and honest. With a voice like hers, she should be allowed to sing what she likes. Whether they like the style or not, most have to admit her voice is the best in the business.
    Lstname89 likes this.

Junior Carrie Follower SoulDemiuges's Avatar
    Bad reviews don't bother me, it's ok if someone dislikes the album, that is the subjective part. but they are critics, and they don't give arguments. That's all critics should do. If a well argumented review gives the album a bad score, that's fine. But these two negative reviews were made by armchair critics, really. I just makes no sense to me that a review is written of anything without arguments.
    mtreasmith likes this.

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast